Why is patenting allowed?

Looks like a patent troll at micros**t bit the dust and a bunch of bootlicking cucks of Jow Forums are busy mourning about the spawn of satan. But that's not what I'm concerned about.

Why is patenting allowed? You cannot "own" an idea, it makes no sense. Do you know how retarded would it be if Newton patented Calculus?
>Invent calculus
>discover laws of lights, force, gravity and thermodynamics
>patent them
>now every time your company makes use of any of Newton's law, you are legally bound to pay Newton/his country money.

How the fuck do you "own" a fucking concept? What kind of advanced jewry is this?

Attached: microshafting.jpg (640x320, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HZEsN70GQkg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You gain exclusivity for a time(generally 20 years) in exchange of making the technology public. This is done to avoid greek fire situation where technology stops existing because the last person to know how to make it dies without leaving any notes. At least, that's the theory.

>owning an idea for 20 years
It makes even less sense. Don't make it public.
I know why the patent jews make it public. It's because they are afraid some other person will publish it.

>spent 100 millions of USA dollars in R&D
>"nice invention here, user. let me sell this too"

that's why patenting is a thing, tard.

Attached: ballmer_seeing_you.jpg (782x585, 153K)

>Don't make it public.
So you'd rather inventions died with their makers?

>You cannot "own" an idea
so if you wrote a novel, I copied it word for word and claimed I wrote it, you'd be fine with that?

>spent 100 millions of USA dollars in R&D
R&D about what? Displaying text on a monitor? Rounded bezels on the edges of the phone?
Get the fuck out with your snowflake """ideas""". The only reason you had to resort to "patented" text displays is that you got scared that someone else will naturally do it without begging others for money.
It's better dead than being a lawsuit bait.

Yes, I don't "own" the idea of the content of my meme novel.

>claimed I wrote it,
Why do you think it matter who wrote it?

Patenting is good. Patenting software and business methods is stupid.

it matters because the person who actually wrote it originally put a lot of time and effort into it whereas the guy who copied it did not

>It's better dead than being a lawsuit bait.
Only because you're thinking in short-term.

If you don't patent your shit, you cannot claim anything from your copycats.

>it matters because the person who actually wrote it originally put a lot of time and effort
None of my business. If the one who copied it has better presentation or cheaper price I would just read the copied material.

>your copycats.
You mean my users?
I'd be happy if someone else use my algorithm. Now if I want to make money off it I'd close down my source and hope anyone doesn't come up with a better one

Why is copying/re-using an idea a bad thing?

Why invest anything in R&D when any would-be competitor can just take apart the final product and copy all your accomplishments?

>thinking in short-term.
That's right. Patents don't make sense. If person X doesn't decide to go public with his ideas, some day later person Y would come up wit it anyway.
Others copying my idea doesn't mean that my idea is taken apart. I can still use them.
>why invest anything in R&D
R&D is significantly less expensive (if not free) if you share your research and findings with people all around the world.

Patenting physical shit is good because it's extremely hard to do a good alternative on a specific design - it was patented like this because it was optimal. Patenting software is retarded because simply rewriting a specific implantation would immediately qualify as non-infringing (unless you copy it verbatim), so they resorted to patenting the general algorithm, but then it's nearly impossible to make a non-infringing alternative because the specific algorithm is what makes it work altogether. E.g. Capcom patented the loading screen games, and then absolutely no one had them.

>R&D is significantly less expensive (if not free) if you share your research and findings with people all around the world.
yes, if we lived in a communist utopia where everyone shared with each other and we all danced around holding hands, people don't actually behave like that however

>That's right. Patents don't make sense. If person X doesn't decide to go public with his ideas, some day later person Y would come up wit it anyway.
And how many years of progress does that cost? 10? 20? Would you rather have no internet at all?

>Others copying my idea doesn't mean that my idea is taken apart. I can still use them.
Yeah, and now you go bankrupt because everyone is selling identical products at half the price, because you invested in R&D and they didn't.

Forgot to say
>hard to make good alternatives
>but easy to make subpar or even superior ones (d-pads) that do the same job

Intellectual property is not a property. It has nothing to do with communism either you braindead ancap bootlicking cuck.

>Why is patenting allowed?
Ironically enough it was allowed to encourage innovators to share the principles behind their inventions
Of course it's a completely unsustainable idea nowadays with the amount of patents filed and the level of expertise needed to separate valid inventions from trash and malicious money-grabbing schemes, and does nothing but hurt innovation

>create something that is more efficient and more powerful that rivals hardware
>can't patent it because some internet loser doesn't like patents

>Would you rather have no internet at all?
How did patenting internet work out for you?

Necessity is the mother of invention, not R&D.

>g identical products at half the price
Free market

lol is this a reddit thread?

they think everything should be free, they said medicine should be cost +1% i've read lol

costs 1-3billion just to file the drug with the FDA and then researching and producing the drug but apparently you should make cents per pill and hope you make those billions back

The entire point if patents is that they protect your capitalist right to profit off your invention without some chink kikes ripping you off.

You can't patent it because you KNOW for a fact that some other person will come up with it without you pestering others for petty money.

>Free market
Exactly. Free market is what dictates that investing in R&D without some form of intellectual property means you end up homeless.

Fuck off kike, intellectual property is not physical property.
Using braincell doesn't cost money.

>spend 2.4billion developing some new engine
>toyota says nice engine
>spends 200million copying it
>has factories and teams to get it to market fast if not faster in mass quantities
>add some marketing name for it like Hylotech Engine Management
>lol free market

>spend 2.4billion developing some new engine
That's your business decision, not toyota

>why aren't you spending billions developing new drugs with no actual means of recouping your costs!!!!

how does it feel to know your naive daydream will NEVER EVER happen?

Yup. It's objectively better to not develop anything new at all.

I accept your defeat

yeah and i get a patent on it and toyota can't copy it

They can go in the same direction as my engine, sure but at least i get protection for my choice to innovate.

I agree. The time for meritocracy is over.

Attached: download-2-96.jpg (220x391, 21K)

Or maybe it's that the current model instantiated by yids is fundamentally unsustainable and only serves to enrich the already rich. People didn't had this problem before patents were a thing. They would share and collaborate on inventions, not be at each other's throats over some extra shred of the pie.

>I hate patents!
>can't name 1 single feasible solution to the system
>thinks just means cheap shit for you

Stormy Daniels is that you?

Free market also dictates that you should be able to sell any product without any government intervention

>people can't use my idea
So it's as good as dead then

>They would share and collaborate on inventions
No, they would keep their inventions secrets to never share with anyone except their own apprentice, ensuring that the same things had to be invented again and again.

Don't spend money you don't know will be worthwhile, brainlet. Better yet, make a contract to do collaborative research so it costs you both less money.

>So it's as good as dead then
No people with money can see my idea for what it's worth and know the investment can be solid because of the patent

If Newton can let you use the his calculus, you should be able to let people use your program too, if you are too scared, don't publish it.

Heh, good luck. Toyota will win every single lawsuit you file anyway. Loser.

>Don't spend money you don't know will be worthwhile
Bingo. Expensive development is NEVER worthwhile if anyone can just take the results.

>Better yet, make a contract to do collaborative research so it costs you both less money.
And a third party can STILL just take the idea and make a better product for the same amount of money, meaning you still lose money.

Concept patents is not a solution to the problem. Is it too hard to understand?

>The dispute actually dates back several years and surrounds Severinsky’s claims that his 1994 patented system for a high-voltage method to power hybrid cars was used by Toyota without permission.

>Fearful that the import of its hybrid vehicles like the Prius could be blocked, Toyota quickly settled the case out of court on the very day that a hearing before the U.S. International Trade Commission was set to begin. Ford on Friday settled a similar case of patent-infringement with Severinsky, and in both Ford and Toyota’s cases, no settlement details have been revealed.

Wow poor guy bamboozled by auto industry

see
And

>Toyota has settled a long-running patent dispute with Paice, a small Florida-based company that has sought to bar US imports of Toyota hybrid vehicles, including the popular Prius hatchback.

>The dispute centred on a microprocessor that determines when a hybrid vehicle’s battery or its internal-combustion engine drives the wheels. Under a 2005 court ruling, Toyota was ordered to pay a sizeable royalty to Paice on sales of the Prius and other hybrid models.

I hereby patent the word "faggot"
Anyone who uses it is liable to pay me USD $5 million per post.

quiet fag

>Paice
who lol

>you get to set damages

lol dumb cunt

>having to pay damages
what a fucking cuck

on what makes osx or windows GUI much more intuitive and usable than your shitty gnome or kde.

Exactly, a small company won vs Toyota.

Someone that poster said wouldn't happen, ever.

Literally a reason for patents

>Using braincell doesn't cost money.

Are you serious?
You think inventors who spend months or years of their lives don't deserve monetary rewards from their toil?

How the fuck are any companies supposed to make money from their innovations, that cost money in investment and manpower, without being able to protect their ideas?

Yeah, KDE should have patented KDE 5 HIG before windows 8 stole it

>You think inventors
Investment is not required. Ideas should be exchanged with people all around the world. Just like physicists and mathematicians did and still do.

Patenting is government intervention.
Government intervention is inherently bad.

>Jow Forums only wants no patents because they can't afford the good shit like macbook pros so they hope no patents and others copy their shit and sell it for a fraction of the price

Ironically, Apple suffered hundreds of times from Microsoft patent trolling. You are not using your brain.
Apple did

>of course, bending the display is OUR intellectual property. That means you CAN'T use it in your phone that happens not to cost you 40 times more than it should!

>of course, rounded bezels in the phone is OUR intellectual property. That means you CAN'T use it in your phone that happens not to cost you 40 times more than it should!

>sir, in order to progress our research we need to hire scientist and buy expensive scientific equipment
>lol investment is not required! just exchange ideas bro!

>nu/g/ wants patents and corporate price gouging because he hopes to one day patent something and make easy buck
Nevermind that you brainlets will never create anything worthwhile, let alone patentable.

Patents literary exist to keep the little man down

>have to pay them
>have to bend your display
>have to invest in any of that

ohh don't like it now? Don't have to invest remember hahaha

>new discoveries don't happen by exchanging scientific data among communities
>let's get angry when invention happens naturally

>design something
>it's a damn good something
>shit't great
>big corporation takes notice of my something
>simply takes my something, replicate and sell
>i can't fight back, i don't have nearly enough resources to fight back
>big corp gets even richer
>i get nothing
this is why, in a nutshell

kek. this.

>give astrophysicist some binoculars and sit him at the top of a hill
>lol find me new planets
>buy him a giant telescope, marvel of the scientific community
>lol just share this info bro

Big corporations can't prevent you from selling it without patent jewry. If you have to become as successful as a big corp, you have to do more than designing a good shit.

>Discover a planet
>"nOw LeTs pAtEnT It sO If aNyOnE DaReS MeNtIoN ThE NaMe oF ThE PlAnEt wElL fIlE lAwSuIt AnD jAcK sOmE mOnEy
"

>invent something great
>go to get funding
>wont fund because big company has said they're gonna make it before me
>funding doesn't want to risk it
>0 repercussions on big company because no protections on my behalf
>this is a good system

So, in exchange for creating a thing, the original author gets no money, no recognition, and the copier goes down as the better writer.

Do you think this will lead to the author wanting to create more, or less? What about other authors who notice this happening?

That didn't come at expense of your handmade super good shit sales, so there's nothing to be butthurt about. If it did, it's because the megacorp made better use of your design than you could, so they deserve that money.

>invent something great
>actually you can't because you already violated 43 of the big company patents in the process, like opening a web page, printing some shit, saving a word file, sending an email
>they sue you and you hand over your design
>it's a damn good system

That's good, commercial "writers" btfo.
Novel is not something you shit out if you get paid 5 bucks in a year.

>new discoveries don't happen by exchanging scientific data among communities
Good fucking luck developing a usable medicine more advanced that penicillin that way.

You jest, but that's literally what they do. They give their scientists telescopes and then share the data. Also there's nothing stopping you from making science using amateur equipment. Only very specialized research requires very specialized tools.

>chemical reactions won't happen because big company didn't spend money
Let's get real, if you need and patent aspirin, even if you don't even sell it outside the US, other countries will come up with better and less expensive alternative anyway.

>just take a headache medicine that has 5% chance of killing you or causing serious liver damage ;)

Ah yes, because we all know money is the only factor.
Not recognition, or fame, or the feeling of a job well done, which are all things that can also be taken away by blatant copying.
Nope. Just money.

>it's patented, too!
>this means it's good! not some shitty cheap rip off drug that may or may not be less harmful and better acting

Literally no one cares about the creator, but the creation itself.

Point

your head

The creator does. Gotta stroke that e-peen, that what it's all about. Money is secondary.

>drugs that don't go through federal approval and can be sold over the counter are cheaper

Just like the epipen competitor that failed FDA testing because it's dispenser failed to work most of the time and then everyone acts like its' big corporations holding back the competitor lol

Just a garbage product that people might die because of

I'm making fun of your retarded implication that patent or lack of thereof is any indication of quality.

insult ----------->
your head

How is that related to patenting, you stupid fuck?

EpiPen is literally just a spring loaded adrenaline syringe.

And I'm saying that you missed the point because I implied no such thing, retard.

Patenting is anti-progress
youtube.com/watch?v=HZEsN70GQkg

itt: people feeding a troll neet who hasn't got any idea on how the world works

No argument. Not even worth a (you).

so accurate it's frightening

I work at a generic drug company. Often times we make the same drug that's sold for the brand name, on the very same line. Mylan itself is a generic company, and produces a"generic" form of the drug it copyrights. Teva is just the first company to file after Mylan's exclusive period expired. Drugs should not be able to be patented. The genetic R&D and equivalency studies would give the originator plenty of time to make a profit.

Why do applel NPCs' only line of argument is "lul u poor?". Fuck off, faggot.