Dumbster Diving

Did you ever dumbster dive Jow Forums?
If you did you find something useful?

Attached: DSC00671.jpg (1632x1224, 458K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ejlKTvWYzRM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

after i lost my dignity in one of those piles of trash, i never went dumbster diving again. I still wonder where it is today

look at all those taiberbullis

Once. I really needed a type n connector for my satellite wifif antenna that day, and there was tvs, and other electronics in a dumpster, and a shopping cart next to it.
Went dumpster shopping that day.

Hi Charlie!

Me too but I found all these RAM sticks in there instead so it evens out.

Attached: Free Ram.jpg (3514x2088, 2.91M)

That looks ancient, what is that, DDR1? kek

>That looks ancient
>DDR3
Oh Jow Forums!

>green pcb and no meme radiators = ancient
fucking kids

Found this little guy in there

Attached: Free PC.jpg (2276x3720, 1.24M)

>dumbster
You're a dumbster

No DDR3. I get about 40€ for two 4GB sticks.

Jesus, you sold two of those for 40 gibs? There's over 50 sticks there, that's a fat load of cash bruv.

I would go dumpster-diving with my friend for technology.
Heres the guide to get started:
>Make a map of all the tech stores in the city
>Go into the city at like an hour after closing time
>Go from tech store to tech store, but hit up every bin along the way
>Don't go into compactors unless you actually want to die
>If it smells like shit, its probably food.
>Even if stuff looks locked or hard to get, you can probably get it
Most of the tech stores were shit, however OfficeWorks was always fucking popping.
From office works alone we got 2 working PCs (old as shit, running windows XP, had saved passwords on them), 1 fucked up laptop (missing a lot of parts, had a working HDD tho), and 2 mac pro cases that we sold on ebay for $100+ bucks. That was over 3 seperate trips to officeworks, and we got much more than that too.
You are basically guaranteed to find cables and peripherals every time (Ethernet cables, Display cables, Power cabes, monitors (found 3 in total), TONS OF MICE AND KEYBOARDS (Those boxes that let you recycle phones and shit? People put keyboards and mice in them for some reason. If you reach in, you can pull the box up and then go through it easier))
Overall the best way is to just go and check dumpsters n shit while you are walking around the city.

Universities are fucking insane as well. We went around the time all the students were going back home over christmas break and no-joke it was exactly like OP's pic only in a pile instead of in a cage. There was actually so much shit that we had to leave behind PCs and monitors because we already had too many.

Yeah I sold about half of them and used the others to upgrade the PCs of family and friends a little.

Cont.

There's also a lot if you don't look for tech. We found one store that hadn't locked their bins and they had so much fucking good shit. Fucking bodyboard, gardening tools (which my friend gave to his parents), good clothing, and flowers (which he gave to his gf who said they were lovely. Didn't tell her we got them from the top of an ALDI bin).

If you want food, then bascially everything that isn't processed is fucked, but everything that is processed is fine. It will smell like shit tho. Bread from bakers at the end of the day is good because they have to make new bread everyday, so the bread on top cant be older than 24 hours. We don't ever look for food but one time we found so many fucking packaged doughnuts that we had to take them.

Found this SFF Optiplex a few months ago.
Fully working with a 128GB SSD included.

Attached: Optiplex_3020.jpg (2928x1864, 988K)

>If you want food, then bascially everything that isn't processed is fucked, but everything that is processed is fine. It will smell like shit tho.
Well that's a little much for me I will stick with tech.
>Aldi
Isn't dumpster diving against the law in Germany and Britain? Or do they have Aldi in the US now too?

What idiot throws away dozens of perfectly good sticks like that?

Big companies.
They also throw away perfectly good PCs and monitors because they have contracts with vendors to replace their inventory every few years.

One of by best finds is this Dell U2713H from half a year ago.
Works perfectly fine.

Attached: 20180728_22445.jpg (2152x1632, 716K)

Businesses that can't afford the man-hours to sell them off after the manager says "We need all i7 CPUs here. These are running slow. Get those ASAP."

I'm Australian, and dding is illegal here too
but in Australia although we have strict rules no one really goes and enforces them.
If someone catches you looking around for shit, they either don't care, are fine with it once you tell them what you are doing, or don't want you there because you are trespassing (Usually bins are in places where only employees or trucks are allowed to be).
Worst case scenario is someone tells you to leave and put the shit you took out back. Its not like america where you die everytime you attempt something even slightly illegal.

However you should still try and go into the bins when no-one is there. Just go after the store closes.

Generally illegal unless specifically says it's legal, if you don't make a mess, most shops I've checked with don't mind.
I've done it twice, and if you don't just throw trash everywhere and make a huge ruckus outside, they've not cared for me doing it.
I haven't done it in years, but the last time I did, I got an Egg box 360, a bunch of PS3/X360 controllers, a box of Wii nunchucks (No main controller)

I do it far less now too but some years ago you could easily find old video game systems in the trash.
Found all these while dumpster diving.

Attached: free things.jpg (2792x5232, 3.01M)

The PDAs are cool, but I think the video game shit belongs where it was.

That's fucking neat

In Europe at least in my country it's difficult as container from shops/bussiness are usually locked or inside the building.
In the dumpsters is usually illegal to take anything and they have 24h surveillance.
The electronic recycling market seems to move a lot of shekels.

How much for that gaming device on the bottom left with all those cute puppies on it?

Ask my cousin I have it to her

But thats where you have to go, recycling yards.

Illegal to take anything from there too, they even have alarms and such at night as they sell everything to recycling companies.

Some sell your whatever you take for it's weight in scrape metal prices

I'm always amazed by the amount of good stuff you burgers find dumpster diving or shopping at goodwill stores etc.

In Germany people never throw anything away thats worth salvaging.
People don't even sell used stuff for reasonable prices.

But I am from Germany du Dödel

Attached: DSC00672.jpg (1632x1224, 398K)

but where do you find all that stuff? isn't it stealing once its at the wertstoffhof?

Only if you try to take things that are delivered to them as "zur Vernichtung" which companies pay big money for.
If it's "zur Entsorgung" they generally don't care. Worst case you have to buy the weight in scrap meta which is like 13 cent/KG.
And when you only take some RAM sticks or other small parts like me the guys working there won't even bother weighing it and just let you take it for free.

Attached: DSC00673.jpg (1632x1224, 279K)

Meanwhile here mongilia employees of recycling centers are such nazis.

They are only very thorough as far as delivering trash to them goes. Taking isn't as much of an issue.

Before I left school they did an IT upgrade.
Fetched the lot out the skip with dad parked round the corner. Loaded the car up every day until we had an entire IT suites worth and made £4000

Don't really go dumpster diving myself but the computer store that I work at regularly throws away old unsellable tech.

Last year they cleaned out all of their old inventory which consisted of some 200+ Thinkpads (x60s, T400s, etc.)

I'm sure she appreciates it, user.

Found my IBM Model M keyboard in the dumpster.

There's an electronics surplus warehouse nearby that is always tossing good shit, found a 3dfx Voodoo 5500 PCI Mac in their scrap pile, gave them 5 bucks for it, got it home and flashed it to PC BIOS, I saw one on eBay sell for over 500 dollars a couple months ago.

A lot of LGA1155 socket CPUs are being tossed right now which are still quite useful

Attached: 20180604_151425.jpg (4128x2322, 2.26M)

>gaming device on the bottom left
that's a ds lite user. you can buy them secondhand for next to nothing on websites like craigslist

damn I'd love that 3470 to replace my 2500k for vt-d

I found an apple 2 with 2 disc drives and a shit ton of floppies in the trash at college

I once found one of those too

Attached: 20170228_175755.jpg (4128x2322, 2.37M)

>5.1 surround sound system that I traded to my friend for a PSP
>XBOX
>Dyno BMX bike
>HP prebuilt w/ Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 1TB WD Green, Radeon HD 4550
>Macintosh IIsi
>Macintosh SE/30
>8" Apple monochrome monitor
>my desk

Where do you all find Mac Pros for free

Neat.
What will you do with it?

Updated it a bit and use it as my secondary rig [spoiler] at my girlfriends place.

Attached: March.png (514x422, 23K)

not really. there are people who would pay good money for them.

I cannot bring myself to rip people off by charging higher prices for things I've found for nothing or very little.

you have to go back

I mostly only stay there on the weekends so that PC is fine for that

well, your loss.

My integrity is more valuable to me than money.

>rip people off
How is it a rip off?

>integrity
your in a bit looking for tech how is this lost on you

What does that have to do with integrity?

How is it a rip off?

Do you mean how am I ripping them off if I do that? It should be obvious. By charging them high prices for something I had for so little I am inflating the value. A rip off is when the price is higher than the value.

This may be related, has anyone here ever bough amazon (or any other retailer) return items. Like the pallets and truck loads? Is it worth it, I have seen some online auctions where they sell amazon stuff, they say like B stock, could be worth upto 20k (or nothing), usually final bid end 1-3k.
Has anyone done this?

You are not forcing them to buy anything and it certainly isn't necessary for them.
You are offering an item for a specific price, if they decide it is worth paying that much is up to them.

Then literally every product from every company is ripping people off. You charge higher than the value to make it worth it.

But they don't know that I am merely exploiting my good fortune if I do that. As well as their ignorance. How is that fair?
That doesn't make it right.

Then every company is ripping people off.
The value is measured by the amount of money people are willing to pay.
These are entertainment products not something they need. Not a rip off.

seems pretty shit
youtu.be/ejlKTvWYzRM

Not really I never even heard of that. But the warehouse deals are sometimes nice

>Then every company is ripping people off.
They are, and I find it reprehensible.

You are a fool tho so it doesn't matter

At least I can spell.

How dare you

>As well as their ignorance
Anyone willing to pay for old hardware knows how much these things cost and is more than willing to pay for it.
Anyone willing to buy current hardware from some random guy on the internet has, in most casses, already looked around in any shop for a similar item.
When presented with the same option at the same price, most people would rather buy it from the most reliable source rather than some random guy on the internet.
>How is that fair?
Nothing is fair in life.

Value isn't a proper quality of an item. It's weight, electric resistance, density, etc... are.
I might be willing to pay 10$ for a 1lb of steel while some other guy will glady pay 100$ for the same amount of steel of the same quality.
I cannot tell you the real value of that steel, no one can. 1lb of steel in the USA will be way cheaper than that same steel in Uganda.

>Anyone willing to pay for old hardware knows how much these things cost and is more than willing to pay for it.
If I paid little for it, then why not ask for the same in return if I don't want it? If someone else could use something, or even if they just want it, I would feel much better just getting my money back on it. That is how I would like to be treated.
>Nothing is fair in life.
Things can be fair, but you have to start by being fair.
>I cannot tell you the real value of that steel, no one can. 1lb of steel in the USA will be way cheaper than that same steel in Uganda.
I could tell you that if I pay $4 for a computer I would value it at $4 when I try to sell it unless it has degraded. Auto appreciating investments feel immoral to me.

>I skipped ddr3
>I am a fucking legend
>I've never SEEN a ddr3 and I never fucking will
>ddr4 baby, till the day I fucking die

Attached: 1539137386221.jpg (346x510, 31K)

You are free to do whatever you see fit. Some people would tell you that selling something that you don't need anymore instead of giving it away for free is immoral.
>Things can be fair, but you have to start by being fair.
Yeah no fuck that, you can be a living saint and still get fucked by mere chance, no point in holding oneself back when you are doing no harm. If we were talking about medical treatments or food I would think differently, but no one is going to die or suffer if they aren't able to buy themselves some old computer.
>I could tell you that if I pay $4 for a computer I would value it at $4 when I try to sell it unless it has degraded. Auto appreciating investments feel immoral to me.
And if a buyer told you that such a low price is unnaceptable because they feel they are ripping you off, would you raise the price? how much?

best return I had was with monitors.
either they work as is, or need 1-2 caps replaced (less than 50c).
put them on ebay and make 50 bucks a piece

>you can be a living saint and still get fucked by mere chance
If you do, then so be it. That doesn't mean you can't uphold your integrity.
>If we were talking about medical treatments or food I would think differently, but no one is going to die or suffer if they aren't able to buy themselves some old computer.
I'd rather they be happy. That's just how I feel.
>And if a buyer told you that such a low price is unnaceptable because they feel they are ripping you off, would you raise the price? how much?
Oh, they've tried that. People try to pay for my repairs all the time, when all I really want is the money for parts. If they insist they must pay I ask them to donate to the FSF instead.

Ever repaired dark corners?

I find it hard to believe people like you exist.
How well are you economically? You sound like either you are well off and don't need any extra money or you don't really need material things to be happy, as long as you have food and shelter.

If you have no money problems I can understand the way you think, but if you earn just enough to get by or a little bit more I cannot comprehend it. I would be scared shitless of losing what I have if I earned just enough.

>How well are you economically?
I have a job. Technology is just a hobby for me. I get by, and I'm sure if I get in trouble people will help me. I'm not that well off, but I "own" a home that I'm paying off the bank for. I've just always liked giving. Making people happy is worth more than money to me.

But it's too expensive. I will stay with DDR3 for now.
Here is some DDR2 I found. Worth almost nothing.

Attached: 20180104_164241.jpg (4128x2322, 2.98M)

>giving your cousin literal trash

I work at staples in a rich Jew area so i've gotten a lot of stuff from 3 year old touch screen laptop to random vidya stuff

It worked perfectly fine

Attached: [000001].jpg (1280x960, 470K)

Giving stuff away for free is very unjewie

>BOUT TIME I GET A FUCKING LUCKY BREAK IN THIS FUCKING DUMPSTER

Throwing something old or 'broken' out to the only place that does free eletronics recycling then turn around and buy the cheapest shit and haggle for the lower prices is very Jew

ow the edge

Damn I forgot about all the stuff I found dumpster diving a dekade ago.

Attached: DSC00024.jpg (2048x1536, 1.33M)

Oh god, that picture is erely similar to a place near me.

Not really a trash find, but yesterday I got this Cinema HD Display for five bucks from a computer store, they were going to throw it away. Guy just said "LED blinks three times, tried the PSU on another monitor and it wasn't that"
Turns out he was using the 65W PSU instead of the 90W this one requires. I made a PSU for it with the power plug from an old dead mac mini and a 24V 4A general purpose module I had laying around and I now have a nice 23" 1920x1200 IPS monitor.

Attached: IMG-20181015-WA0004.jpg (2560x1440, 648K)

>yeah it's this one
>RIGHT HERE ITS THIS ONE

tried to open a screen panel once, but it's problematic
you need quite the steady hands + a sterile room
also, more than often, the light modules are some weird proprietary shit, so you're better off replacing the whole panel
not worth it for dumpster diving

I don’t necessarily dumpster dive, but I’ve found some interesting shit by the dumpsters in my complex. I’ve found install discs, some spare cables, old computers, and a couple monitors and TVs. I even found two SuperMicro rackmount servers just sitting by one of the dumpsters. And they still worked, but they had no hard drives and were a decade old.

I found a PS4 Slim box by the trash around my apartment complex.
The earplugs were even still in there.

>no one dumps anything good in my third world shithole

Attached: kp0q9.jpg (291x343, 8K)

Also got this P2412Hb too bad it has a green line.

Attached: Dell P2414H.jpg (4054x1690, 1.03M)

>A sword
>A nice chair
>A few nice monitors
>A laptop but broken, the screen wouldn't turn on, sad