Tfw not 1337 enough for Arch

>tfw not 1337 enough for Arch

Attached: 1516340436981.png (859x737, 396K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MatMoul/archfi
git.archlinux.org/arch-install-scripts.git/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>hur i posted teh le froge agan xD

Are you OK, fren?

Install Manjaro.

What? It's an extremely simple and easy installer. Just make your filesystems, mount your partitions, install the base packages, change root and set your locale, set a password, make a user, install any other software you need and reboot.

>Just make your filesystems, mount your partitions, install the base packages, change root and set your locale, set a password, make a user, install any other software you need and reboot.
That's the easy part. I did that 100x with debootstrap. But I'm not 1337 enough to talk to other Arch users which are mostly top tier hackers

Attached: classic-sad-frog.jpg (650x650, 37K)

i use arch btw

pic related

Attached: Neckbeards.png (345x337, 127K)

Then try to set up xorg . . .

OP is an elaborate troll :ะท

By installing it. What else would you do?

nothing. I can't figure why people still beat this le old meem that le xorg breaks on arch
I unironically tried other distros but they all suck in one way or another (like the repo hell in fedora or ubuntu/debian, and terrible multilib support in fedora (mainly for compiling 32bit stuff like pcsx2))
I end up coming back to arch every time, it just wergs

pacman -Syu xorg xorg-xinit xterm xclock
pacman -Syu (prefered DE)
systemctl enable (display manager).service

Whoa that was soo hard...

Stop using 2007 memes

you don't need xclock or xterm if you use a WM/DE, also you forgot to install video drivers

Not him, but while it is true that you don't need xterm or xclock, you are wrong that he should have specified which video drivers to install since the question was merely about Xorg. I posted this () which says install any other software you need. Xorg and video drivers fall under this banner.

Well that's a lot harder than installing most other distros, as in, pressing next next next

It's not hard at all, it's just as easy as any other distro.

You think doing all that on terminal is just as easy as doing it through an installer that holds your hand? I get saying that it's not hard (if you're familiar with Linux at least) but just as hard as for example, setting up Mint, Ubuntu or Manjaro? The whole point of the GUI installers is that they hold your hand and do things for you, making the whole thing easier.

Yes, it is just as easy. You're doing the exact same things as you would in any other distro. It's just way faster without the GUI and you have a bit more control. My favourite thing is being able to properly set mirrors for a faster install.

jus predend fren

github.com/MatMoul/archfi

>You're doing the exact same things as you would in any other distro.
Yes, but not either doing them yourself, the installer is, so you don't even have to know about them. Or the only thing you have to do is to type in your username and password. Most people probably don't even know what the hell partitioning is, so having to click "next, next" to set it up vs. manually partitioning, there's a clear difference. The former is way easier than the latter.
I think you're thinking this from the perspective of someone who already knows how to do all this, for them there might not be that's much difference in how hard it is. But for your average person, there's a massive difference between clicking next and knowing all this stuff. After all, if you're not knowledgeable in these things, you won't know what you don't know and either skip a step or you'll have to learn the tools you use to do a manual installation. Whereas the GUI installer is designed to be a dumbed down experience where you don't need to know anything, the installer itself either sets it up for you or very plainly tells you what to do.
>It's just way faster without the GUI and you have a bit more control.
I agree. But what I don't agree on is that it would be just as easy as setting up Ubuntu, Mint etc. There's a reason after all that those have graphical installers and why they're so popular and why Arch on purpose hasn't made an installer.

No need to setup, jus install it

It's a few commands to learn, it's not that big a deal. I think you're conflating people who install their own operating systems with the general population. If you're installing your own OS you're probably in the top 25% for intelligence already.
Arch hasn't made an installer because it is a distro geared towards simplicity. It has nothing to do with popularity.

>Arch hasn't made an installer
what are these then? curious

git.archlinux.org/arch-install-scripts.git/

Obviously I'm referring to a graphical installer, not a script that automates the text based installation.

That's the Gentoo man.

Attached: sAwqdwb.png (800x792, 580K)

>It's a few commands to learn, it's not that big a deal.
Right, but it's a few commands more than you'd have to learn compared to most graphical installers. That's the point. Not that it's hard to learn but that it is harder.
>I think you're conflating people who install their own operating systems with the general population. If you're installing your own OS you're probably in the top 25% for intelligence already.
Saying two things are equally hard because someone who knows this shit already can do it with ease is a really strange way to compare which is harder. It's a bit like saying that running and mountain climbing are equally as hard because a seasoned mountain climber can do both. Do you get what I mean?
>Arch hasn't made an installer because it is a distro geared towards simplicity. It has nothing to do with popularity.
My point was that (IIRC) part of the reason there isn't an official installer (at least not anymore?) is that by installing it from the ground up yourself, you have to be more familiar with your system etc.

pls give installer script for arch

>Right, but it's a few commands more than you'd have to learn compared to most graphical installers. That's the point. Not that it's hard to learn but that it is harder.
You're going to need them when using the distro anyway, so it's either now or later. Therefore it is not harder, but merely delays learning the short combination of letters you'll need.
>Saying two things are equally hard because someone who knows this shit already can do it with ease is a really strange way to compare which is harder. It's a bit like saying that running and mountain climbing are equally as hard because a seasoned mountain climber can do both. Do you get what I mean?
It isn't any harder or easier the more experience you have. It's always the same simple commands. A new person can just read a guide and be done in 10 minutes. The only real variable is typing speed.
>My point was that (IIRC) part of the reason there isn't an official installer (at least not anymore?) is that by installing it from the ground up yourself, you have to be more familiar with your system etc.
People who use Arch have claimed that, but it is not true. Arch always installs the same way. The base packages are all the same. You don't learn anything special by installing Arch, it is for the sake of simplicity only. There is always a lot of ambiguity with a graphical installer. A manual installation fixes that. It's like an automatic transmission vs a manual transmission. They aren't terribly different, and aren't really more difficult than each other, but the manual transmission does not hide anything and is totally unambiguous.

Attached: did u know I use arch.png (492x611, 407K)

>You're going to need them when using the distro anyway, so it's either now or later.
I don't know if you either didn't understand my point or are purposefully talking besides it. Again, I agree, but not what I was talking about.
>Therefore it is not harder, but merely delays learning the short combination of letters you'll need.
So... You don't need to know them when installing? That's, again, what makes it essier. See what I mean now?
>It isn't any harder or easier the more experience you have. It's always the same simple commands. A new person can just read a guide and be done in 10 minutes. The only real variable is typing speed.
And if you have to learn those commands or not. Why is this such a hard concept?
>People who use Arch have claimed that, but it is not true.
Yeah I've heard it but haven't seen it verified.

>I don't know if you either didn't understand my point or are purposefully talking besides it. Again, I agree, but not what I was talking about.
I'm just saying that learning those commands isn't easier or harder because it is necessary in the future, so the installer only delays learning. This doesn't make it easier.
>So... You don't need to know them when installing? That's, again, what makes it essier. See what I mean now?
No, because delaying something does not prevent it.

>I'm just saying that learning those commands isn't easier or harder because it is necessary in the future
Sure. But I was talking about the installation process. Do you or do you not have to learn them during a GUI install?
>No, because delaying something does not prevent it.
Delaying them beyond the installation process means you don't need to know them during the install. I remind you, this is what I said
>Well that's a lot harder than installing most other distros, as in, pressing next next next
Whether or not you need to use them after the installation is besides the point.

>Do you or do you not have to learn them during a GUI install?
No, but as I said delaying is not prevention.
>Delaying them beyond the installation process means you don't need to know them during the install. I remind you, this is what I said
But I contend that that is not easier on the user, if anything it is harsher.

>No, but as I said delaying is not prevention.
When it's only the installation process we're talking about, delaying it beyond that, it's functionally the same thing. And it was solely the install process I talked about, as mentioned.

Then you are being shortsighted.

Sure. I'm just happy we found some sort of agreement.