What went right?

What went right?

Attached: Xorg.png (1200x961, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerworld.com/article/2534312/operating-systems/the--640k--quote-won-t-go-away----but-did-gates-really-say-it-.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing.

it spawned Wayland

Hell of a long spawn time

/thread

And that's a failure too, congratulations, you win at lose:lose

10 years from now Wayland will kill the GNU desktop by breaking every previously written app

>wayland
Still get screentearing

Compton

Network transparency, It's also the reason Wayland will never replace it.

but it won't. 10 years from now the GNU systems from this current point in time will still just work fine. You don't need anything more (even bill gates said that (see the 640k meme))

It crippled linsux forever.

inb4 it’s OK to have a mainframe protocol from the 80s as a modern graphic subsystem

fpbp

Literally this.
GUIs shouldn't be a, "server," or, "protocol." That's retarded, pointless, and probably a security risk.

>What went right?

A lot, X still has a beauty behind that is unmatched. Sure it has issues but Wayland as a "Successor" actually solves zero of them but creates many new one by its "A Application should have zero control about its or other windows position". Breaking nearly everything. Even if Wayland is applied everywhere, most of the stuff will be run in X Windows what brings bad performance, breaks games and much more.

It eventually got smart enough to start without hours of config file tinkering.
At least until one needed to fix the fucking mouse accel curve / tablet input scaling / render acceleration / video decoding / vsync / HDMI color range / gamma curve / incorrectly detected DPI / screen layout / non-functioning hardware cursor / monitor EDID not working / whatever.

Nothing. Nothing ever goes right

turned out to be a huge fucking mistake and works like shit compared to NX/RDP

Server OS, server-client application.

>(even bill gates said that (see the 640k meme))
Fuck off retard.

computerworld.com/article/2534312/operating-systems/the--640k--quote-won-t-go-away----but-did-gates-really-say-it-.html

Everything.
>standardized
>minimal, you piece whatever environment on top of it you want (compositors, window managers and so on)
>handles the clipboard right
>has built in workspaces since 80s, windows just got them in win10
>can be networked if you have the need (although, I think VNC is the better approach to handling the problem)
>cool logo

>can be networked if you have the need (although, I think VNC is the better approach to handling the problem)
>Network transparency
Contemporary Xorg "network transparency" is so bad that even VNC is a better approach.

>10 years from now Wayland will kill the GNU desktop by breaking every previously written app
Most applications have been ported to GTK3 or Qt5, both of which support Wayland natively.

Works well on anything up from a 100MHz DOS machine.

>A Application should have zero control about its or other windows position
Wayland is right, apps will learn.

There were people like who were against security and memory separations. But they learned and today everything is more stable.

I love Xorg because every application can become a keylogger

Xserver is perfect

Prove me wrong

ehh, let's not get ahead of ourselves here

>x
>minimal
excuse me, what the fuck did you just say?

I'm talking about the way it's designed. It just provides a way to display windows on a display and that's pretty much it. You compose it with other tools to get your usable GUI.

Network transparency.