Discord has gone to shit

open standard alternative when.

Attached: file.png (416x89, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.nl/netflix-movie-catalog-size-has-gone-down-since-2010-2018-2/?international=true&r=US
feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/31736140-the-admin-should-be-able-to-see-the-ip-addresses-o
discordresolver.c99.nl/
reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/8tovf1/discord_ip_grabber/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it was already shit
use matrix or irc lmao

>IRC was created by Jarkko Oikarinen in August 1988 to replace a program called MUT (MultiUser Talk) on a BBS called OuluBox at the University of Oulu in Finland, where he was working at the Department of Information Processing Science. Jarkko intended to extend the BBS software he administered, to allow news in the Usenet style, real time discussions and similar BBS features. The first part he implemented was the chat part, which he did with borrowed parts written by his friends Jyrki Kuoppala and Jukka Pihl. The first IRC network was running on a single server named tolsun.oulu.fi.[10] Oikarinen found inspiration in a chat system known as Bitnet Relay, which operated on the BITNET.[11]
t, wikipedia

piss off; IRC is botnet by showing IPs and it's crap at media like images and videos.

>has gone
it literally started as shit, and only got shittier and shittier with the more user data gathered, mined and sold.
only weak minded ones use that shit

I don't think you know what botnet means

There are servers that do not do that. Also why bother if you are no criminal? Nothing to hide nothing to fear

IRC is and always will be the only chat system that matters.

>Discord is Spyware!

Attached: foil2.jpg (620x465, 56K)

Yes. Discord is the better option.
I trust Discord.
They're a company by gamers for gamers.

Attached: 1539662741113.jpg (600x593, 215K)

i'll just go back to skype

>botnet by showing IPs
user...have you heard of a cloak, vhost or even a proxy? even then...nobody really even bothers to do anything with your IP other than "hey you come from this country!" IRC networks aren't selling or mining your info either, so it's not botnet

Attached: konata12.jpg (317x311, 28K)

installed it for the lols, they use node now what the fuckkkk

This is good though. A game subscription model doesn't really exist on PC yet. Valve missed the bus on that. I'm not interested in it myself since I already own 70% of those games, but I can see it being useful for people who would want those games and the chat perks.

Opening a game store to finance your chat application isn't "going to shit". It's just a poor business decision considering that this involves competing with Steam. Their game offerings aren't even that great. There's a ton of indie games that normally have Linux ports, which are only being offered in their Windows forms, despite Discord running on Linux.

>fuckkkk

You forgot the subscription model that comes along with this. It's the single factor that makes them stand out from Steam, GoG, etc.

>open standard alternative when
i don't think open standard is the problem here. discord has made it easy to communicate and exchange media with your friends by abstracting away infrastructure from you. i think some kind of p2p communication program could be cool. i'm not familliar with any, though.
right, and discord absolutely respects your privacy. like said it's not difficult to scramble your ip.

you can still download their old client. dunno if it's available for linux, though.

i see this opinion a lot in response to irc displaying ip address and it should not be downplayed as many people switched from skype to discord because discord does not reveal ip addresses.
also no one is gonna be smart enough to use cloak vhost or proxy .
that's another point against irc

Yeah, but nobody wants to subscribe to a game, they want to play games that they own.

It is difficult to obfuscate your IP for 99% of people. It's ridiculous that you'd have to do something as contrived as that simply to chat with your friends. Not defending discord, just saying IRC needs to get a facelift and be modernized.

>connecting to a rando IRC server hosted on some NEETs laptop
>botnet
Fuck off bugman

Yay more always online single player games! Who cares almost every game on the service is old as shit and can be bought for a dollar from a keysite.

There's people out there that are fine with paying a relatively small monthly fee to have access to a huge library of content, look at Netflix, Spotify and all those other streaming services. All Discord has to do is continue to increase the size of their library and they should have a decent shot at a steady revenue stream.

>look at Netflix, Spotify, and all those other streaming services
None of those offer games. There have been attempts in the past to make gaming into a subscription service, and they've flopped horribly. There's a reason why Valve doesn't even fucking try.

>It is difficult to obfuscate your IP for 99% of people.
I agree, but those who do use IRC know how to do that. Also, that's something that IRC has to overcome to become more popular among those who want something more secure but aren't that tech savvy. Perhaps a public IRC server that does all that by default.

There have been successes too, look at Xbox Gamepass. Nintendo's Switch NES emulator also works this way. Just because it's a different form of media, doesn't mean it's doomed to fail, it just means that what they offered or the method they offered it in wasn't good enough, at least at the price they asked for it. There's also a distinction between game streaming and allowing access to a library to download and play locally. Most game streaming services flopped because the required bandwidth and steady connection to offer it just wasn't/isn't there, and even now, people are working on that too, last week both Google and Microsoft announced independently from eachother game streaming services.

>users are dumb, so it's the protocol at fault

don't be stupid, i'm sure u know what i mean

Discord is the successor to XMPP, ICQ and IRC

>XMPP
LMAO
please, for god's sake, stop talking out of your ass. xmpp is the most widely used protocol in the world
you're such a faggot retard

nobody uses jabber jamal

They fully admit to and are proud of the fact that they do massive datamining, it’s even blatently stated in their terms of service.

It is? Or maybe its just a bad messenger web app running in a full blown chrome browser.

>(You)
Now I remember why I left Jow Forums last month. I can’t believe such ignorant idiots post on a technology board.

underage thread

Kill yourself. You don't understand what the fuck you're talking about and you're shitting out your opinion like it matters. You're the kind of retard shitting up this place, and the worst thing is, you think you're smart.

They "admit to" using your data in obvious ways:
>looking at what games you're playing so "now playing" will work
>using your mic so voice chat will work
>storing your messages so logs will work
Last time I checked they stated all this clearly in their TOS and you'd have to be willfully stupid to see it another way

Just WhatsApp alone has more users than discord and that’s one app alone running XMPP. It is the most widely used telecom protocol in the world. You’re just another idiotic dumbass shitting up the board

>what are streaming services

Nah. That's Discord.

>Discord has gone to shit
Discord has always been shit.
You're just growing up.

It's not. This board is full of idiots and you're one of them. It was a mistake coming back

>Netflix
>huge library

> obfuscate your IP
> friends
What the fuck
I use skype to chat with my friends and we all know each others IPs for direct connect multiplayer games
Why would anyone ever want to hide the IP from friends, not a public chatroom

There are friends and "friends." I wouldn't want online friends that I play games with but don't even know their real names to know my IP

>discord has gone to shit
has been saying that discord was shit since it came out though.
OP outs herself as a Jow Forumsedditfag

humble bundle and they actually include DRM free versions and source code whenever they can

Quick calculation.
Netflix' library size is over one petabyte large.
A 4K movie rip is about 32GB.
32GB fits about 33000 times in a petabyte.
Assuming the average play duration of a movie is 1.5 hours.
This means there's about 49500 hours of content on Netflix, which is about 5.6 years worth of continuously played content.
Not to mention that Netflix phases content in and out, so by the time you'd ever reach that five year mark, you'd have new content to watch.
>>huge library
Fuck off brainlet.

That's 3-4 games a month that you get to keep. Different subscription model. unless you're not talking about Humble Monthly and just the bundles, which aren't even subscriptions at all.

>5579 movies/tv shows on Netflix (US)
>huge library
Uhh, no

businessinsider.nl/netflix-movie-catalog-size-has-gone-down-since-2010-2018-2/?international=true&r=US

>49500 hours of content
Wait, that's actually less than total amount of fansubbed anime. Pretty sure there are way more western tv shows and movies in existnce than anime.

"There are friends and then their are "friends"
Christ, what a cuckhold. How much of a fucking loser do you have to be hang around people you don't even like.

Why are you so black and white? Why's everyone your either your best friend or someone you don't like? I don't dislike them, I just wouldn't trust them with my car keys like I would to some of my other friends. Friendship is a spectrum, just like your autism

>Discord has gone to shit
When the fuck was it ever not shit? The only reason anyone moved to it in the first place is because it was less shit than Skype, but that's not really saying much.

Attached: 1523078985516.jpg (1041x768, 111K)

I use QTox. Then again, next to none of my friends are online anymore. I have no one to talk to on here anyway, so what do I know.

IRC is shit because all Ip are public and most bots collect that ips. and dont support encryption (you can install and enable weak encryption with SSL certificates but is too complex in server side and for the average user in her/his client )

> The Discord Store Beta
> Nelly
> Chief Robot Hamster. Eater of cheeses. Maker of boops.

how can anyone deal with this

whatsapp is used by pajeets of course it has more users

You can use Tor with it
You can use masks
You can use bouncers

>implying Discord was ever good

>open standard when?
We've been shilling to for months on here, look at this thread.

Whoops meant to post

Every alternative you guys ever suggest either lack essential features, or are buggy, badly performing replacements.

> IRC, XMPP
feature set is not even comparable

>Matrix
Almost every client is in a broken alpha stage. Riot is pure garbage and somehow uses twice the RAM as Discord

Granted, I am waiting patiently for either a good Matrix or ActivityPub client that could replace Discord for my group.

Attached: Screenshot_Discord_20181012-141624_1_1.png (846x156, 26K)

Women are robots created by the govermnent to give the masses illusory goals to strive for so, keeping them busy and complacent, so they don't realize that the banks and private interest groups are stealing all our dubs

I have had nitro for over a year, and it says for my early support I get nitro games until Jan 1st 2021- but they are all for Windows and I use Arch. Might boot into a Windows install to try some of the games though.

You don't snuggleboop your doggo's booplesnooter and give it the zoomie yoomies?

It scans every file on your computer and logs when you are using it. That's how it knows when you are playing games, but it just doesn't tell you it looks at the othet stuff.

>many people switched from skype to discord because discord does not reveal ip addresses.
Literally all faggots who switched to discord because "muh ip security" are cringy computer illiterate kids
feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/31736140-the-admin-should-be-able-to-see-the-ip-addresses-o
>If the admin can see your IP address, no matter what intentions they have, it can be leaked and sold on the dark web or the like, and that IP can be DDOSed
discordresolver.c99.nl/
reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/8tovf1/discord_ip_grabber/
>Discord keeps your IP completely safe, and it isn't possible to grab users IP's.

What the fuck is wrong with people? Is this 2010 or something with kids looking for stresser or whatever the fuck that was called

It hasn't "gone to shit", it was shit from the beginning.

If you don't use discord you don't have real friends

>gone to shit
>implying it wasn't shit from the start

I would not call Gamepass or the Switch NES emulator rousing success stories.

IRC > Discord

I'm old enough meet my mates at pub kid

so basically, irc is honest about its privacy attributes, whereas discord sells you in secret.

>MATRIX
>RIOT.IM

>botnet
>because it shows IPs
user, I...

XMPP is extendable you mong
That's the entire purpose of it

>has gone to shit
When was it not?

fuck off normalfag

most modern irc servers mask your ip address, you zoomer scum.

What is a bouncer.
>and it's crap at media like images and videos.
Oh you want a picture book. XMPP.

there is an open standard, its called IRC. It's like discord only you have to wait 6+ hours for anyone to respond to your posts

riot.im
telegram
just wanted to congratulate you on a successful bait

are you one of those people who thinks that messages on discord are actually deleted when you "delete" them?

At least it's easy to inject shit in to.

source or it didnt happen

>open standard alternative when.
What do you mean when? There has been open alternatives for way longer than Discord has existed.
Doesn't matter when no one wants to use them.

>IRC
>Talking about Voip
Nice, good job.

I still use teamspeak

viop quality wise, it's the best. The fact that they let you choose between the voice/music codecs is v nice.

>trying to monetize a free platform in a completely optional way.
>It's gone to shit
What?

>discord challenging steams monopoly is bad

Mumble + irc now off

am I fine if I use the browser version ?

It doesn't.

This but unironically
t. beta user

Riot.im

>A game subscription model doesn't really exist on PC yet.
>SUBSCRIPTION for non-MMO games
Holy fuck, people actually want this?