/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1489268801010.jpg (250x250, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.com/ryukoposting/ryukOS
github.com/tomasiser/vim-code-dark
github.com/edwinb/Blodwen
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I mean, i guess at best i'm saying that time wasn't of "quality", as nebulous as that is. gramps you gotta agree that the tools available to the keyboard have only ripened with age

RIP Paul Allen.

Attached: Allen.png (1283x721, 420K)

>TFW failed my triplebyte interview
What's the most programmatic way to kill myself?

Attached: 318271da980706f7a18a811c3456a77d--protective-dogs-friendship.jpg (633x758, 54K)

how have textual interfaces improved in the last thirty years?

larger screens

>Some microcucker
Literally who cares?

>tools available to the keyboard
>textual interfaces

is this a mandela effect??

shit, really?
>cancer
oh well of fucking course

Is modern C a good book?

Attached: 1497823894637.gif (404x365, 280K)

They haven't, productivity in large GUI based programs is still completely dependent on a well-versed knowledge of keyboard shortcuts.
The difference is that all of these are now obscured behind 600 menus and there's almost always no way to rebind them for personal preference.

yeah I mean how is using a keyboard any better to navigate text documents than it was in the MS-DOS era because I'm not seeing it

Remember to learn from your mistakes and keep on trying

Attached: mion1.jpg (900x1000, 125K)

I was speaking about vim only in the context of an IDE, not as a "text document navigator"

an IDE is a text editor

A plain text document?
Not much.
A well formatted LaTeX or PDF document, with properly situated anchors in relevant places?
Me oh my good gracious, it's the difference between Ctrl+F-ing or scrolling through a document and just making two key combos to immediately snap to what you want.

im thinking about doing that interview but man
im really bad at phone interviews.

if i get the regex parser problem i'll nail it, but idk about the other ones

>got Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1982
>survives it
>got non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2009
>survives it
>non-Hodgkin's lymphoma comes back in 2018
>kills him
jesus

If you shoot yourself in the head you'll experience a bus fault

Does red hat look good on a resume? I'm not moving to California

What did you do in Red Hat? That looks more impressive.

>I'm not moving to California

Enjoy the shitty job.

r8 my embedded OS
gitlab.com/ryukoposting/ryukOS

on the to-do list for tonight:
>replace the shit-tier O(N) schedulers I slapped together for the sake of testing
>already wrote a new scheduler that's O(1) for both insertion and removal, just need to integrate, test, and push

Attached: full.png (1487x700, 151K)

>Living in california
enjoy the 60% tax rate and stepping in homeless people's shit

work on something useful instead of an OS

What kind of "electrician" books or courses should I take for working with Arduino hardware? I know how to program fairly well and their frame work is simple, but I've never built anything with chip sets, DC motors, etc.

the highest tax bracket in california is 12%, if you make over 530k a year

>Enjoy the shitty job
I'll enjoy 85% of the pay you get with 20% of the living costs, yes.

>Nearly two thirds of American families of four live on less than San Francisco's "low-income" threshold of $117,400
The dreamers in California are turning the dollar into the peso?

a very late reminder that Shen is waiting for you.

Made a simple garbage collector

That's silly

Looks neat, user
Does it have a functional shell, yet?

Attached: untitled_by_rulerofthedarkness-d9mnhay.jpg (680x383, 21K)

post a screenshot of your code niggas

Attached: scrot.png (2560x1440, 582K)

>what are my best options for capturing audio ouput? like an intermediary/interceptor or virtual device.

for you?

>have 20 billion dollars
>die at 65
wew lads

your VIM looks really nice user

Maybe you don't find it simple but I think it is simple.

sure, but it does more than navigate documents

not him, but it looks like codeDark. based off of visual studio's dark mode, and it's pretty spot on

github.com/tomasiser/vim-code-dark

Attached: literalHomework.jpg (1919x1037, 289K)

meant for

i want to nakadashi cirno

What do you think about the D-lang?

Horribly misguided and actually a dead-lang. Do not use for any purpose.

I wish I had a gf like that

>horribly misguided
oh boy it's time for rant #423432943042 on how RAII and GC are impossible to have coexist even though other languages do it just fine.

>RAII and GC are impossible to have coexist
how?

I took the quiz and got offered a technical interview, though I haven't booked it yet. I guess I'll sign up, but not expecting much. Is it mostly bullshitting about CS stuff or coding problems?

Daily reminder that cancer is caused by a pleomorphic organism, and that it was cured by Royal Rife in the 1930's.

Attached: dr_rife_looking_through_microscope.jpg (400x519, 199K)

They're not, that's just the main argument, autists have against D
>i-it's schizophrenic, it can't decide if it wants a GC or not!
Though a fair complaint is that D's std is highly coupled to the GC, unlike languages like Nim where you're completely free to turn it off and on.

Scrub question here.
In java, without relying on jpanel, is it possible to be able to draw lines between two buttons after I click on them? Like the black line on pic related. I just want a line to appear.
I'm trying to do something like a mini map navigation.

Attached: Capture.png (176x115, 59K)

read your own wikipedia entry, he never had 100% guarantees.

>wikipedia
The success rate was very high. Non-response mainly occurred when the patient had been given radiation or chemotherapy prior.

Not giving guarantees is also a legal thing.

Regardless, i largely agree with you. Cancer is way too profitable to be officially cured.

Yep, along with every other aspect of medicine. Suboptimal solutions to prolong problems and profiteering in every respect.

I keep getting errors about how the argument of a a void function cannot convert a bool to bool[][20] even though I made clear everywhere the bool variable is an array.

Why is this happening?
both rows and columns are defined constants.

void Cell_Status(char cell[rows][column], bool cellState[rows][column]);
void check_state(bool cellState[rows][column]);

void Next_State(char cell[rows][column], bool cellState[rows][column]){

int x,y;

for(x = 1; x < rows; x++)
{
for(y = 1; y < column; y++ )
{
check_state(cellState[x][y]);
cell_status(cell[x][y], cellState[x][y]);
}
}
}

one of the richest people in the world just died from cancer
why do people always believe stupid conspiracy theories instead of the obvious truth

Lots of cancers are basically cured, e.g. most benign cancers. The problem is that cancer is about a million different possible mutations. Curing cancer is like curing coughs or curing bleeding; the success rate actually matters quite a bit on what's specifically making you cough or bleed.

Attached: phd042009s.gif (600x1431, 356K)

Is there an interactive guide to C online? Tried learn-c.org and it seems very disorganized like complete the following for loop and I don't even know that that is and what all of these symbols are for.

>cell[x][y]
You do realise that this is a single char and not an array, right?

You're passing a value
>cellState[x][y]
instead of an array
>cellState

>start fucking around with Youtube's API
suddenly the whole sites shits itself
wew lads, didn't know i had this kind of power.

well I figured this could be the mistake, but I'm always confused about how to declare arguments.

what would be the apropriate way to call it or should I change the declaration instead? Given I need the void funcion to set a value for the whole matrix.

It's a naive misconception that "the rich" are one homogeneous body, and that they're all on some higher plane together.

Those mutations are irrelevant, and spending literally trillions of dollars chasing them for the last 50 years is retarded. A lot of that money is also funneled through certain front groups and diverted to other research.

It's a scam. 2 other people did the same thing at roughly the same time as Rife, one was a guy out of Harvard, the other was in France. Someone else discovered Rife's "Bacillus X" 30 years later.

Etc. Just do some research and use your head. Societies and people are not hard to manipulate.

Your [x][y] thing slightly decreased my symptoms of autism.

For the longest time it has bugged me that it's [row][column] because its fucking backwards alphabetically and makes it hard to remember. But I will remember xy now.

>but I'm always confused about how to declare arguments.
It depends on how you need to use it inside the function.

Change the prototype to
void Cell_Status(char cell, bool cellState);
void check_state(bool cellState);

>It's a naive misconception that "the rich" are one homogeneous body, and that they're all on some higher plane together.
which secret faction of the power elite is hiding the cure for cancer then?

probably whoever/whichever group/family owns or has the most stake in oncology medicine/treatments.

You don't have to hide anything when no one ever looks, or acts on what they see.

And how do they manage to include an anonymous retard from Jow Forums but not Paul Allen?
from the wiki:
>An analysis by Electronics Australia found that a typical 'Rife device' consisted of a nine-volt battery, wiring, a switch, a timer and two short lengths of copper tubing, which delivered an "almost undetectable" current unlikely to penetrate the skin.
Literally makes the e-Meter look like a genuine technological marvel in comparison.

yeah im sure multi-billionares with cancer recurring over 20 years never looked for a treatment or asked their rich and powerful friends

>check out Jow Forumshaskell to see if the cabal/stack nonsense has resolved
wow garbage
what a fucking shame, it all stems from cabal being """RFC""" style instead of being heavily curated from the beginning
god I love CRAN

>inb4 haskelltards "hurr durr what are you having problems with it's easy just do this just do this other thing
the cancer that killed D

Attached: tryR.jpg (220x220, 10K)

you're the programming equivalent of a sports team supporter
fuck off

CRAN is such a bitch to deal with

>the cancer that killed D
what are you talking about, Dub works just fine.

care to elaborate?

I have never once in many years of haphazardly installing libraries had problems, yet basic work with haskell/cabal/stack is a massive shitshow, in 2018 just as it was when I checked it out in 2014.

A shame, it seems an interesting language.
Hopefully idris becomes independent of haskell and has package management high-brow like CRAN.

submitting to CRAN is just a pain
They get real nitpicky on documentation

Read the interview guide. It's mostly accurate to what they said

I was a dummy and scheduled it 2 days after I took the quiz, and at 7:30pm. So I both didn't have time to study, and an hour in, I was already exhausted and ready to pass out

boo hoo
you realize you're complaining about what makes it so good

That doesn't make it any less tiresome

try again when they let you, it's not too hard if you practice

good job prospects after you do it

why the fuck are you releasing something on CRAN if you can't come up with reasonable docs/vignettes
absolute cancer

>Hopefully idris becomes independent of haskell
yes and no, Idris 2 is written in Idris, but you'll most likely still need stack to build idris to build bloodwen
github.com/edwinb/Blodwen
Edwin should really just make his own build system + package manager, but i doubt it'll happen.

I am sick of waiting for haskell to get its shit together and idris is the obvious better choice
life is pain

well Idris 2 is based on quantitative type theory so we're gonna have delicious first class linear types.

Lisp is the most powerful programming language.

RFC's are curated

do I have to install haskell tho

bloodwen uses C right now.
For idris, yes.

Hahahahahahahaha

native idris
CRAN-like repo
when

I've been staring at them for 8 hours a day with my PhD research. idk what you think they are, but you can't just email your idea for an rfc to some guy and they publish it. yes, they're published and then are reviewed later for being an internet standard or not. but until then, they're not

like what? an emulator for an archaic, useless architecture whose sole purpose was for games? fizzbuzz in the functional meme language of the month?

kek
the youtube data API is pretty neat desu, a while back I used it + the last.fm API to make a primitive radio thing

Nope, it's still veeeery young. The shell will be an optional feature- most embedded OSes don't have one (embedded linux is an exception, but that's because it's a desktop OS shoehorned into embedded).
I'm going to implement the TCP/IP stack first, then the shell will have optional interfacing with it so that you can SSH (or maybe telnet, for the sake of prototyping) into it.
I'm putting finishing touches on the scheduler. The userland uses a custom-written C standard library (POSIX compliant) that allows me to do some heuristics in the scheduler, letting me reduce the number of context switches/make optimized choices in selecting the next task. I know microkernel is pretty poorly defined, but that's basically what I've written- the entire kernel is just a scheduler, some primitive dynamic memory management, and a socket interface that's basically just a hardware abstraction layer. I'm kind of taking the unix "everything is a file" idea and making it into "everything is a socket." This is designed for platforms that either don't have a lot of non-volatile memory, or have no need for a filesystem. The file-like hierarchy doesn't make sense for such platforms, since pretty much everything can be represented as 2 layers- one where each component multiplexes a handful of the same type of hardware feature into a single API, and another layer that de-multiplexes those resources to userland applications. This is pretty much what the network/transport layers in TCP/IP do, so I'm designing the entire system off of that model.

Attached: l6fF5PL.gif (189x189, 286K)

like how about something people might actually want instead of something trendy and useless

>stop making things not for me

are we talking about the same thing? because any schmuck can shit out a haskell library and if you try to use it your chances of it working out for you are less than flipping a coin

its not for anyone, nobody wants a hobby os

did you reply to a post without reading it? I said RFC's are curated. you then replied 'hahahahahaaa'

>nobody wants a hobby os
speak for yourself nerd.
Hobby OS's are neat. I hope to make my own someday.

you just proved my point