/spg/ - Smartphone General

Mi Mix 3 Teaser Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 Official Teaser - Slide Into the Future (HD) (4).webm (1280x720, 1.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidauthority.com/xiaomi-mi-mix-3-price-specs-release-date-915151/
gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Nokia-61-Nokia-6-2018-vs-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9120&idPhone2=8893
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_(redmi_5_plus)-8959.php#redmi-5-plus
kimovil.com/en/compare/xiaomi-mi-a2-128gb,xiaomi-mi8-lite-global
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That seems like a polarizing add. Quirky then spam spam spam spam.

ios jailbreakaz

Attached: 2.jpg (1080x1080, 100K)

Between Redmi Note 4x / Note 5 (Pro?) and Zenfone Max Pro (M1), which one should I buy? I heard the Zenfone one got overheating problem?
Any other suggestions for phones that's decent for gaming around that price?

Did anyone else see the "5G 10G" thing they were teasing? I've heard rumor that it means they'll be putting 10GB of RAM into the Mix3(!) Plausible or 2dum2btru?

Can't go wrong with either the Note 5 (Pro, the dual camera one with SD636) or the Zenfone. Redmi has better cameras, Zenfone has a bigger battery. Realme 2 Pro would be a decent alternative if that's available for you, it has a Snapdragon 660 SoC vs. the SD636 in the Note 5 and Zenfone.

10GB of RAM is already confirmed:
androidauthority.com/xiaomi-mi-mix-3-price-specs-release-date-915151/

why would you even need 10 GB on a phone...

Thanks. I don't really care about cameras, so I guess I'm leaning towards Zenfone now.

Advice on jailbreaking a 6s plus?

I'm still running 8GB on my desktop, it's getting kind of ridiculous with phones, yeah

Why optimise when you can just cram moar coars and charge more money?

what phones have displaylink support?
having a display dock for my phone would be neat

I know newer samsung devices support it but I'm not sure about other stuff

Attached: photo_2018-10-18_00-33-38.jpg (640x640, 24K)

Why 10 GB? Either 8 GB or 16 GB

If you're looking for guides consult r/jailbreak and its sidebar only.

There's a lot of false jailbreak shit out there.

Attached: TIM图片20181018174917.jpg (1080x1920, 233K)

If only it had no chin, it could've been the perfect phone

I got a used phone for a great price but it turns out the camera won't focus. Tried reseating, cleaning and restoring but nope. Do you think I should buy a replacement camera module or do you think I should just return it? I'm afraid it could be a fault with another part of the phone so that won't fix it. and then the return window will be over.

It's a shame the price was so good and it's perfect otherwise.

>returning used phones

what

They listed it for parts/not working even. But they already accepted the return request if I do end up doing it. What a nice seller.

If I order a Moto G6 or X4 from Flipkart (India) through a forwarding service, because then it has 2 GM more RAM than if I bought it in Europe, what are the drawbacks or risks?

>Not buying a used phone from a place that accepts returns

Lol.

Just get a Pocophone instead.

Fuck off phone manufacturers. You don't need that much RAM, nearly no one (only high end gamers and productivity which is a very small %) even needs more than 8 in a laptop let alone a fucking phone.
Stop stealing the fucking RAM supply and shitting up desktop prices.

Only Apple knows how to fold the screen and connector (within a reasonable cost anyways)

Tell the Javascript programmers to stop bloating up the web.

Also iPhone's bezel is actually thicker than a lot of these chins I shit you not

Just got Android 9 on my mind Mix 2S (Global Stable). Feels weird. Not much changed, besides the version number, but it's the first time I'm in the newest version of Android. Is that how iPhone users feel? It's nice.

Why even care about chin and bezels?
Finally someone who understands.
>Is that how iPhone users feel?
Not at all. You have the option of not experiencing battery throttling and using a custom ROM when Xiaomi decides to stop updating MIUI for your device.

Alright lads, my requirements are a waterproof* durable phone with speed and great battery. I have TMobile. Not many fucks given about camera perfomance, but it has to run the latest software smoothly. I was able to find the S8 Active which would fit the bill, but are there any chinkphones which would fit the bill?

What's a chin? You mean the lower bezel? If so, then why not say 'lower bezel'

Blackview BV9500 Pro

>Pocophone on Flipkart: 8 GB RAM
>Pocophone on Amazon.de: 6 GB RAM
!??!?!??!!?!!!??!

Both the 64GB and 128GB storage models have 6GB RAM, only the 256GB model has 8GB. That is the same whether you're in Europe or india.

>Why even care about chin and bezels in a phone with a mechanic that's implemented in order to have the maximum screen to body ratio?
Why use a 4-letter word when you can use two 5-letter words instead?

fuck that phone, it looks chinky as hell. Absolutely unaesthetic

Dedicated Xiao (their chinese-only assistant) button on the left side for anyone wondering. Hope it's reprogrammable.

looking for a smartphone
> Root friendly, I just want lineage
> Small (smaller than a OnePlus 5t)
> Absolutely no notch
> I don't care about camera

Thanks. Whats the deal with that antenna? Does it significantly improve service range?

>Why even care about chin and bezels in a phone with a mechanic that's implemented in order to have the maximum screen to body ratio?
Fair, but why is screen to body ratio suddenly so important to the point of being a deciding factor? Because of "tech reviewers"? Either way, the market is a far cry from 4.5" display standard.

A walkie talkie function? PTT off network? Thats actually really useful for my applications. A feature I didn't realize I needed.

Not him but maybe because better screen to body ratio also means more screen real estate at the same or smaller footprint.

So which phones use the Snapdragon 865?

Sony XA2, Moto X4, LG G6, OG Pixel. All reasonably compact with official LineageOS builds.

>Snapdragon 865
I hate how they just use random numbers to name their products

I have been using LineageOS for some time now on my RN3P now, but it looks like it's shitting itself, as it struggles at even typing and sometimes it takes long to open any app and such.
Shoukd I make a clean install? If so, exactly how? I have just installed roms over the other (maybe that actually a clean install on phones, idk)

But laptops are still doing fine with 8gb, im sure in a few years more people will need 10-12, but right now 8gb is more than enough, and this is phones which should surely need less, because who the fuck does that much on a phone

bigger number = more powerful

It's technological advancement. After 10GB, they will use 12GB, 16GB, 20 GB and so on. In a couple of years they will replace the big desktop computers

I know you are just memeing me, but if ipads and stuff haven't taken that spot over like everyone thought they would then phones wont.
Laptops are still gonna be very normal for most people.

The most retarded thing to do on a phone is to have the volume buttons on the same side as the lock button

The iphone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S 1 had 512mb RAM and back then (2010-2011) there were quite a lot of people saying why you would need a phone with 1GB RAM for.
The smartphone market is bigger than the desktop market and 10+ times bigger than the tablet market. With competition and money, everyone will be trying to improve, by making faster and smaller chips.
The mobile gaming market is also more profitable than desktop and consoloe videogame market, so maybe in 5-10 years we will all be using a smartphone that connects to a monitor and use it as a wireless computer

Attached: 1526651410141.png (4000x2250, 648K)

What app do you use to record calls?

Attached: 1464831051771.jpg (500x746, 80K)

>in 5-10 years
Speak for yourself peasant.

Attached: canvas.png (640x360, 521K)

what do people think to the Xaiomi Note 6/A2 Lite? my moto z died and it was the cheapest half decent phone I could get same day delivery on.

Attached: 5535e50b-dac7-4d2b-a94c-05ecbdaa2ad1..jpg (750x750, 56K)

Pretty sure that chart took pre-built PCs.

>shirtless korean men
>anime girls
lol

>pre-built PCs
That's a global games market chart. Pre-built or not has nothing to do with it

Jow Forums in a nutshell

But the dedicated stuff will also be improving in that time, they arent really gonna get any closer than they are now seeing as phones have pretty much hit a similar wall to PC hardware after years of fast improvements.
Also i dont see what the phone game market being bigger $$$ wise has anything to do with it when 99% of that is shit that would still run on mid range 3 year old phones
So in 5-10 years time when we might actually need that much RAM on the phone thats when they should add it, they should be doing shit now thats actually useful, like better screens, better batteries etc.
Basically it still comes down to, 99% of people dont need more than 8gb of RAM on their laptop, let alone their phones. It will be that way for many more years.

Clean.

>But the dedicated stuff will also be improving in that time, they arent really gonna get any closer than they are now seeing as phones have pretty much hit a similar wall to PC hardware after years of fast improvements.
Phone hardware will improve more than PC hardware will, so they will catch up soon. Just look at intel and nvidia charging twice for a slightly higher performance. Meanwhile phone manufacturers are constantly improving because there are people who changes phones every year
>Also i dont see what the phone game market being bigger $$$ wise has anything to do with it when 99% of that is shit that would still run on mid range 3 year old phones
Game companies will pour more resources onto the bigger market and they will try to compete between them with better graphics. Users then will need better hardware, so phone manufacturer companies will have to improve their phones constantly
>So in 5-10 years time when we might actually need that much RAM on the phone thats when they should add it
You add it first, then people start developing with that in mind and not the other way round
>Basically it still comes down to, 99% of people dont need more than 8gb of RAM on their laptop, let alone their phones. It will be that way for many more years.
99% of the people didn't need 256 mb RAM in their phones 10 years ago.

Look at the OP

Phones can literally never catch up. Any advancement they can make so can desktop, but desktop is not limited by size, power or heat in the way phones are. phones will never even be remotely close.
Ok so all those things are all about the SOC, so still no need for so much RAM, its literally as much as the current consoles have (though yes thats over half VRAM use), while having APUs (essentially) 10s -100s of times weaker.
But they have already added far more than enough for phones, they need to start using what they've got, they dont need more yet. they dont have the CPU or GPU to bother needing that much RAM for games.
>99% of the people didn't need 256 mb RAM in their phones 10 years ago.
There is a lot more difference between the very emergence of this new tech area compared to the last few years where it has plateued significantly, there was always going to be a big increase in need as the uses of phones increased in the first 5 years, now it has stopped growing so much and so too should the retarded allocation of resources.

You won't need more than 4-6gb on your phone!FACT!!!!!

Depending on the price, I may switch from my 7 Plus to the Mix 3.

>pixel 3 about to be here any minute
>realize it doesn't have root yet

FUCK

can't you just unlock the bootloader and install magisk right away?

I am between nokia 6.1 and redmi note 5. I can find both of them for the same price, Which one should I go for?(yuropoor)

Attached: 1537039614663.png (310x370, 116K)

Factory images aren't up yet and I'd rather suffer through the pain of no root than scouring some guide on how to dd the os

RN5, better chip, more RAM and storage, and an unlockable bootloader
if custom ROMs aren't you're thing and you prefer OEM updates then get the Nokia

I see, I am not interested in custom roms I will use it stock but something in your first sentence intrigued me.
If I am understanding this correctly they both have almost the same specs so I dont understand your first sentence.
gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Nokia-61-Nokia-6-2018-vs-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5

Attached: 1537518977588.gif (256x256, 352K)

no, they don't have the same specs unless in euroland the RAM and storage is greater than in Burger land
the RN5 has the SD 636, while the Nokia has the SD 630, and the 636 is way more powerful

They don't need to catch up to the high end PCs. They already caught up to the low end computers and they are on the way to catch up the mid end PCs. Remind you that most of the people own 1060 and 1050ti

you're looking at the wrong Redmi Note 5. The naming is quite confusing. There's two versions, device name Whyred and Vince.

Whyred = Snapdragon 636 and dual rear camera, sold in China and globally as "Redmi Note 5" or "Redmi Note 5 AI", and as "Redmi Note 5 Pro" in India.
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9120&idPhone2=8893

Vince = Snapdragon 625, single rear camera. Sold in China and globally as "Redmi 5 Plus", and as "Redmi Note 5" in India.
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_(redmi_5_plus)-8959.php#redmi-5-plus

What you did was dirty flashing which is usually sufficient but after some time it might slow things down. Backup data you don't want to lose to your PC and prepare what you want to flash on the SD card before rebooting to recovery. From there wipe system, data and cache before flashing the new ROM.

kimovil.com/en/compare/xiaomi-mi-a2-128gb,xiaomi-mi8-lite-global

Which one lads?

Attached: movement.png (557x560, 609K)

I get it now. Thanks for the help.

Attached: 1539244425532.jpg (1536x2304, 341K)

A2 looks more premium, android one might be a plus as well if you like that.

Is there anything better that redmi note 5 in the price range atm?
Me and sis are going out to buy one for 169 euros right now
We will slap lineageos 15.1 on it asap afterwards
Talk me out in case i missed something

If by that you mean they can manage games that look like a PS2 then sure they've caught up fantastically.
They haven't even caught up to shit tier desktop hardware (like an intel CPU + IGPU), let alone entry level stuff such as gtx 1050s, which is what 15-20x slower than a RTX 2080ti. So phone hardware is maybe 1/78th of the way to top end, woohoo!

Redmi Note 5 is still the best choice in the sub-200€ price range. Just keep in mind the 30 day wait time for bootloader unlocking.

Thanks for proving you are retarded.

Attached: 1522862433661.png (573x767, 818K)

says the guy arguing phones need 10gb of RAM or are close to matching actual PC performance

>6inch phone
>sub3k battery
>in 2018

Attached: 1220500835127.jpg (616x600, 32K)

this actually looks pretty good

Attached: huawei-mate-20-pro-2 (1).jpg (1600x900, 224K)

Not him, but RAM is cheap anyways and having more doesn't hurt, since it won't close apps and the GPU chip also benefits from it

Yeah, post picture in OP that looks nothing like a phone making this general hard as fuck to find.

Learn to use the catalog

Recommendations for best phone with a removeable battery, no notch, is about 5 inches in size, and fully compatible with T-Mobile?

Dual sim would be a plus.

Attached: 1536712232445.jpg (251x201, 9K)

Yeah I have.

Don't use a shitty image that looks like it is for /his/.

>Yeah I have.
You wouldn't be asking for the pic if you knew how to use the fucking catalog

>ctrl+f spg
learn it and use it next time

RAM really isn't that cheap right now and its been so bad for the last couple years because phones keep putting retarded amounts in (combined with phone demand in general).
Having more doesn't hurt but it raises prices for literally no benefit when you could instead put something useful in like a larger battery or cameras or put the R+D to bigger/better SOCs
I don't see how more RAM could be helping the GPU, i can't imagine any phone game using even 1gb of RAM with how asstastic the textures are and how small most entire games are, such as the entire game of PUBG being i think just over 1.2gb

is the pixel 2 xl the best 600 dollar phone right now ? Any suggestions besides it for Tmobile?

That's because of RAM price fixing for consumers. The companies that buy big quantities for their smartphones? Probably not so much, that's why chinks always stuff a lot of RAM in their chinkphones

So we bought it, 169 euro with 2 year warranty
I sure hope it's the correct whyred model, because some guy on a local chan bought one from a local online shop only to find it being vinced
But it's snapdragon 636 on the box and screen sticker so should be fine
Now I have already managed to download the unlock tool to my pc, but i havent installed it, on lineage os it says unlock starts a timer of 360 hours which is 15 days, so did they change it to 30 now or something?

Attached: IMG_20181018_185841_1.jpg (2340x2401, 857K)

Op6t vs pixel 3.

I care about camera mainly

>posting you IMEI on the internet
the ABSOLUTE state of Jow Forums - Technology
might as well become Jow Forumsconsumer_electronics

wait for OP6T

US here, am I going to be able to run the Mix3 here? I got Verizon.