What's the best desktop envinronment/window manager and why?

what's the best desktop envinronment/window manager and why?
for me, it's xfce

Attached: comfy.png (600x600, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/commit/?id=6a3333087b5e7a6aa8fbeb9a802d90991c62833b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

xfce is the best. It is lightweight and fully functional. i3 is for autistic retards that don't want any normies to be capable of opening chrome on their computers. everything else is inferior.

based

what are best themes to use on xfce?
inb4 arc, adapta

i like mate. i used to like xfce but they're taking for ever

>why
I like traditional, normal desktop that works good and doesn't crash, have tons of bugs, move too fast, looks good

Forever to do what?

Not sure about best but I use XFCE on my desktop as i3 on my laptop

I like Numix blue

>i3 is for autistic retards that don't want any normies to be capable of opening chrome on their computers.
That's actually an advantage though. But you shouldn't be using Chrome anyway.

numix-darkblue or numix-archblue

KDE is the best, it's because it's so easy to customize

ChaletOS has good themes. You can download the deb packages.

I assume he means they take forever to update. Which is not really something that should matter since XFCE has been stable and sort of done for quite some time.
Remember folks, just because something doesn't suffer from scope creep, doesn't mean it's abandonware.

Yep, to update - and you're right, it shouldn't matter, but the 4.12 release has bugs that have been fixed, etc, but without a major release, the distributions I use don't see any of the work done over the last few years.

I get that an update isn't needed if everything's pretty much good, but that's not really how software works in my experience

KDE Plasma is best unless you are a retard.

I use Xfce on my desktop even though it can handle any heavyweight DE. I like it because it's quick as fuck, very customisable and stable, and still looks good.

I use Sugarlike on my desktop and NumixBlue on my laptop.

Enjoy your bloatware.

LXDE Master race

That Fat beast?

simple to customize, not easy to customize

Attached: 1526887323658.gif (233x533, 84K)

This guy knows what's up.

False, I was correct

False, you weren't

simple is easy idiot

bloated af

>t. FLOSS dev

Xfce is great, does everything it needs to and nothing more. I'd still use CInnamon if I had a higher res monitor or a dual monitor setup though.

I haven't used Linux in a while, but anything using GTK is a fucking nope. IIRC there was some lightweight DE being developed using Qt which was supposed to the new hotness since it wasn't bloated with KDE dependencies. Never really followed up on that though, no idea what the current state of things is.

>xfce

hey dork, you spelled MATE wrong.

Attached: 1532968240825.jpg (615x663, 257K)

Why'd his tree faint?

It was the musk from that coat

From his pure, unadulterated manly dopeness.

I think Deepin is the most aesthetic out the box.

I use i3.

> i3 is for autistic retards that don't want any normies to be capable of opening chrome on their computers

t. brainlet

if(x=mice){
x=nice
}

Attached: MS.png (437x301, 8K)

>don't want any normies to be capable of opening chrome on their computers
That's a feature, not a bug. Why would you let anyone else use your computer?

>falling for the KDE meme

Attached: kenyan man.jpg (512x422, 32K)

Gnome just works with minimal setup.
>Install tweak tool
>Arc theme
>Move close button to the left
Comfy.

openbox
>runs smoothly
>fun to customize
>not bloated with DE shit

windowmaker > mouse

LXQT is the future.

windows key doesn't work on xfce...

you can make it work

dwm
i3 and awesome use lua scripts instead of modifying the source directly, which is retarded for two reasons:
1) you should change the source program to do what you want. If it's too complicated to do so, your window manager is over engineered
2) Lua is fucking trash

xfce bc its just a normal ass traditional stable desktop that doesn't fuck over system resources, and it's not trendfaggy

>implying i have filthy chrome on my computer

right on, brother

FantasyBlue-XFCE

when it comes to stability then absolutely, Xfce is by far the best. When it comes to loo and feel.. maybe not. I prefer others like Pantheon, that's 99% stable when comapred to Xfce but way prettier.
>inb4 you can make it look like you want
yeah sure but you can't animate nicely. Compton has boring animations and Compiz is unstable.

Xfce or cinnamon? I'm using void

enjoy your abandonware

lxqt

I'm not really partial to any DE i can use whatever. If you put a gun to my head and said pick one maybe MATE or Xfce.

LXDE is the best

LXQT with openbox is godlike

>lightweight and fully functiona
It's buggy, if you copy large files the tumbnailer tries to make tumbnails of the partial files which causes a memory leak that eventually eats all the system RAM.

Support is also very slow, I reported this bug two days ago and while XFCE developer Ali has begun working on a fix it's still not done.

Attached: suchmemoryleak-fs8.png (1430x1029, 193K)

#!/bin/bash
sh ~/.config/screenlayout.sh
feh --bg-fill ~/Pictures/Wallpapers/Default/left.* --bg-fill ~/Pictures/Wallpapers/Default/right.*
compton --config ~/.config/compton -b &
conky --config ~/.config/conky/clock.conf &
conky --config ~/.config/conky/weather.conf &
( xset s noblank ; xset s off ; xset dpms 0 0 0 ; xset -dpms ) &
plank &
dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax openbox-session ;

~/.config/screenlayout.sh is just a really long xrandr command.

Well, fellow XFCE users.. something interesting was removed between 4.12 and 4.13 and re-added a few days ago. Here is the patch:
git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/commit/?id=6a3333087b5e7a6aa8fbeb9a802d90991c62833b
can you tell what it is and how to activate it? :)

I -HAVE TO- use LXDE, because my laptop is ancient.