All 4 of my WD black i bought back in 2012 failed

All 4 of my WD black i bought back in 2012 failed.
Aren't WDs supposed to be the better ones?

Attached: 71VlefYc2WL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/2018-hard-drive-failire-rates/
backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they started being shit somewhere around 2008.
Only hitachi was good (yes I know they got bought by WD), but maybe it changed recently.

Attached: 1533215049425.png (805x634, 80K)

As it turns out, Seagate's HDDs were reliable all along and we fell for the WD shilling.

seagate was shit for the entire 90s and for most of the first decade of xxi century, that's why the opinion persisted for so long

No, in my experience the 1.5TB models and such were bad.

No. You are supposed to have redundancy and backups, you won't know if you made the better choice before it is too late

seems like it. have been using seagate since forever until the whole 7200.11 series 100% failure rate then switched permanently to WD.
looking back, only the 7200.11 series failed and nothing else, while i had WD greens, blues, blacks all failed on me multiple times.

Convert to the BBC wyboi

>No. You are supposed to have redundancy and backups
well today hdds are for backups, ssds are for actual disks in use.

all 4 of those are backups...

Have a handful of WD Blacks and maybe a Green or two... all running fine after many, many years. All my Raptors are dead though.

Recently I've been using HGST NAS type for the larger storage arrays. Been working great thus far.

every spinner fails, back up constantly
life is pain user

Seagate drives more reliable

Attached: blog-Q3-2018-quarterly-chart.png (782x672, 77K)

>he fell for WD meme
should have bought Seagate brainlet

>all these Seagate and WD shilling

Samsung and Toshiba are the only ones making decent drives because is not their main market.

My 2 3TB drives failed.
The thing about hard drives is, you never know a series is bad until it fucks up whole fucking businesses entirely.

The exact opposite of what you said. I still have some 40 and 80GB IDE Seagate drives in good working condition. All of my Seagates bought after that typhoon are dead. I wont buy them again for my own reasons, but you need to take what people say with a grain of salt. I've had WD drives fail, but I have two Greens still going from 2013. You have to be careful with those HGST too because the 7200RPM drives can run hot. People rip on backblaze (mostly seagate marketing) but they are a good indicator of what to get.

Who would have thought. My 2 3 TB went to shit after 2-3 years. The infamous ST3000DM1 or something.

so many shills here....

>I still have some 40 and 80GB IDE Seagate drives in good working condition
survivorship bias, I had a 40GB seagate fail but no WD disks.
I don't have any statistics from that time, but seagate disks had a bad opinion. Well it's irrelevant today anyway.

(new wd disks are obviously pure trash, I went through 4 replacements of wd green in ~2013, all failed within two months).

arent samsung not making hdds anymore because bought out by wd?
me and my relatives had like 5 greens combined and ALL OF THEM failed. every single one of them.

6 years is a pretty good run for spinning rust, bud

>expecting blacks to work

Backblaze doesn't test consumer drives, this list is useless.

Yeah, those 3TB drives were really bad for reliability

backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

Any drive can fail you moron.
>my drive cost $30 more than seagate that means it's immune to failure

I have a wd green with 50k+ hours still spinning in a kinda-critical server.
Its twin that was subjected to higher load started falling apart though.

Attached: _20181018_204625.jpg (750x1000, 91K)

>not using the anime version
user...

It's better better than anything you've got.
>my 4 failed drives that were used under god knows what conditions are surely enough for a good statistical sample

>survivorship bias
You are correct. This is why I say take what other people say with a grain of salt.

Attached: 1.png (675x684, 65K)

no seagate are, you got memed

That's a blatant and laughable lie.

I can't wait for nand prices to fall below hdds per GB. It's going to happen because nand can be stacked 3d.
SSDs have data permanence in hundreds of years when frozen (watch out for condensation though).

Backblaze got criticized precisely because they tested consumer drives (and their testing method was shit)

>putting weebshit on an airgapped company server

Sorry bruh, my autism level isn't high enough

>SSDs have data permanence in hundreds of years when frozen
you may ask, why? that's because to lose data an electron has to jump over the silicon's bandgap. Flash essentially works by trapping electrons in a cage and that cage is a bandgap.
The energy distribution is exponential (boltzmann distribution), this alone gives you an exponential change in probability.
In addition, silicon's bandgap decreases linearly with temperature.

For the same reason a ssd should run hot when powered on. 50C is ideal.

I store my important data in a frozen 850 pro. I put it into a ziploc bag with a dessicant, then put that into another ziploc bag. I wait a while for dessicant to sucks moisture, then put it into freezer (-28).
Backuping to a sata ssd is ~4x faster than to a hdd

I've got a 1.5TB Seagate running with something like 30,000 hours of power on time and thousands of spin ups with only a few dozen reallocated sectors last time I checked. They were hit of miss, but it's not like they were all doomed to failure like some say.

WD are only good because of their superior warranty coverage. The simple fact of the matter is there are no good HDD manufacturers remaining since WD got too big and started buying them all out and making them shit to cut costs.

Sounds like you got uhh

WD BLACKED

I got my Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1TB 7200RPM HDD in like 2013 or something. I'm convinced that these don't die.

It really doesn't matter though if you're not an idiot. They're so fucking cheap now just buy two of whatever and put them in raid 1. Bam, instant absurd availability.

storage faggots
do you use different brand/model drives in your RAID configuration to minimize possible serial failure?

Honestly the only "advice" I'd give is to make sure you don't get a used drive, a lot of OEM blues for example are ripped from old macbooks and shit, avoid those maybe.

>6 years
It's a HDD, they don't last forever user.

damn I feel like I want to see that frozen ssd now
user...

No, it's extremely unlikely for 2 drives to fail due to internal problems at the same time even if they're the same model. And if e.g. your PSU or file system acts up, RAID doesn't help anyway.

I guess people's experiences with WD Greens vary quite a bit. Mine is from ~2009 and it's still working just fine (39,860 power-on hours right now). A relative is also still using one of similar age - probably a little older than mine.

No, hdd failures don't work that way, as the other user already said.

I have different brands for cost reasons only.

A PSU is unlikely to bust your array, downtime is far more likely.

And the robustness and recovery options for a Linux md/dm array are pretty solid, hope you are simply using that and not some weird proprietary RAID.

>He has to treat his primary storage like a Xeon at a conference
SSD users, everyone.

tfw had 7200.11
Used it for music/movie torrent storage basically exclusively; when SMART warning hit I backed up what I wanted. Then I rode it until it died. Started having really weird skips and stutters in music, and movies turned into psychadelic masterpieces by the end.

Pretty cool experience, would have again. Seagate sent a 7200.12 as replacement which is still live

WD Black > WD Gold > WD Red Pro > WD Purple > WD Red > WD Blue

amirite?

What about Seagate? I don't know how their meme Wolf line works

Have a 2010 Seagate 1tb, shit still runs, its been part of 3 different builds

Hitachi is now trash tier at least for me. 2 of the drives I bought from them, for an external backup solution, started to have bad sectors after a couple of months of usage. One of them I didn't even touch for a very long time started clicking really badly from copying files.

Keep them the same brand/model, but try and buy them separately so that you don't get them all from the same batch.

>WD Black > WD Gold > WD Red Pro > WD Purple > WD Red > WD Blue
No it goes like this:
Shit > you're waifu > WD Gold > WD Black > WD Red Pro > WD Red > WD Purple > WD Blue > WD Green

Buy Toshiba

Hitachi or HGST?

Gold is just a more expensive storage drive

It's still slower than the Black

They made Gold because people don't want 5400rpm Red and Purple drives

Realistically, it won't make any noticable difference.

Aren't they the same?

I ordered an HGST Ultrastar just yesterday, wish me luck

By the way, turns out HGST has better brand image so WD are retiring their entire Gold line and keeping the HGST Ultrastars...

It could've been a bad batch. My 2013 WD Blue still works [knocks on wood]

If it says Hitachi it's a pre-2012ish drive. They've been HGST since the WD merger

>Seagate
Is it funny for you to lie to people online ?

I'll be sure to get out my creditcard and rebuild my 15tb nas with ssds.

I have 2 Toshiba
One 512gb 5400 rpm internal
Spinning for whole 3 years at 46°c without problems
Second 1tb external USB 3 spinning for 2 years for no problems I use it for massive move operations between computers and he's taking shit like hurd without problems maximum temp I see for it is actually 35°c

Well I just checked amazon and so far the reviews seem to be brutal on the drive, so it may or may not work in the future.

>pre-2012ish drive
>used hard drive
Well I only got mine back in 2014 so definitely haven't been lucky.

Which model? The bad reviews i find are usually from people getting sold used drives by scumbag sellers or complaints of it being loud.

This has been my experience as well

does anyone have a theory for the variability in experiences?

does the big unknown (shipping) have anything to do? I mean you're tossing these precision instruments on container ships across the pacific, then load them onto trucks to your best buy or amazon store. then some employee tosses them on the shelf, occasionally dropping a few, or the amazon delivery guy tosses it over your fence

could it be that any of these factors affect the reliability of those otherwise precisely manufactured devices?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

has my 4gb WD black die last year

Various bigger users have suspected that one or another of their batches was noticeably worse due to rough transports in the past.

Whether that applies to drive model x or y currently? No fucking clue.
Same as how susceptible exactly they are against various forms of wear leading to failure in operation.

FUD

Hmm can't remember and I'm not home right now, but probably the travelstar 7k1000 so maybe it wasn't a surprise that it trashed out.

Travelstar is the laptop line, i was talking about the Ultrastar ones which are enterprise/NAS

I've always used seagate and it's awesome. Haven't had a single seagate drive fail on me yet from 500gb to 4TB drives. Hitachi on the other hand fried within a week and ever since then I haven't bought a single one

Purchased a 'brand new' Toshiba X300 6TB drive back in July from an Ebay seller. Shit starts going south 2 months later (reallocated sectors). Check the RMA status only to find it ran out in June! Obviously he is offloading cheap 'new' drives that have been sitting on a shelf for 3 years. Luckily it looks like he will exchange it so am waiting on a pickup at the moment (at my cost until I get a replacement, then I will try and claw it back).
Not really too related but felt like the blog post anyhow.

>We
Wrong. My oldest Seagate drive has 10 years uptime

Wrong, retard. Most drive inventions and biggest success in bigger drives are from them for those 2 decades. Only during the floods did they full retard and sell the wet drives

>For the same reason a ssd should run hot when powered on. 50C is ideal.
>silicon's bandgap decreases linearly with temperature.
>a frozen 850 pro.
>bandgap decreases with temp, SSD is frozen
wouldn't this be worse for storage then?

Im still using a samsung spinpoint Jow Forums told me was good in 2009

Are 6tb and 8tb drives safe to buy?

In my arguably limited understanding of the market, there were no obviously terribly bad series of 6-8TB drives.

Figures you're fine to operate them with the normal precautions.

I've had Seagate drives and never understood what all the bitching was about. At the very worst, they were mediocre performers, but never unreliable.

Attached: 1312256739367.jpg (326x246, 11K)