Ideas you wish took off. I remember thinking this was the best idea ever in 1999 and would have fixed so many problems

Ideas you wish took off. I remember thinking this was the best idea ever in 1999 and would have fixed so many problems.

Attached: internet_time.png (688x504, 82K)

This is so fucking retarded

Still less retarded than our current system.
>Lets divide the day into 24 hours
>Then some of us will break those int two groups of 12 hours and specify them with AM/PM
>Then divide each hour into 60 minutes
>Then every minute into 60 seconds
>Then split the world into timezones
Then add daylight savings so the clocks change in some places twice a year
>Then add leap seconds!

The only downside is that it uses some dumb Switzerland timezone instead of UTC. And I would also make the day equal to 1, so any time can be a decimal of arbitrary length from 0 to 1.

>Ideas you wish took off.

UNIX.

Being retarded: the post
>24 vs 12 hour format
Wow, a very difficult conversion. That's due to how the clocks are made: It's easier to read the time in a clock over a tower, considering that you should know if it's morning or afternoon.
>splitting in 60 parts
That's how grades are divided, again to help the calculations with cogs. You are literally a brainlet if you can't count to 60.
>split the world into timezones
That would have happened even with .beat time, when it's @1000 in your country (midnight) it's mid-day at the other side of the earth, so it must be @500 (inb4 flat earth meme)
>saving
As before, that's just to have more daylight when you are awake, nobody's fault if you never go out, don't work and sleep randomly.
>leap seconds
Was a calculation error during gregorian times, that's why we have 29 February every 4 years.
Fucking retard.

Attached: 1536009239805.png (1296x1458, 217K)

But why, just to appease the metricfags? We are already used to the irrational 24/60/60 counting system, we would need a pretty good reason to s2itch other than mah autism.

Personally, I'm still holding out hope for phones replacing computers as office machines/stream centers. Easy coupling to semi-smart tvs and wireless keyboards you don't need to pay the Shitntel/Microshit jew anymore.

>metricfags invented the current standard
>imperial amerilards blame metricfags
No wonder.

Attached: 1515077064411.jpg (685x842, 69K)

>leap seconds
>Was a calculation error during gregorian times, that's why we have 29 February every 4 years.
And to think I was with you up until here.

>Fucking retard.
Irony

This. Everybody should just be using UNIX timestamps.

Sorry, English isn't my main language, I thought that he was referring to the astronomical deviation with "leap seconds". Anyway time format was set during gregorian times, and was impossible to calculate that ignoring earth position, so it still comes from the same error.

>Hey bro what time is it?
>Oh, about 1539890973
>Good to know, I got a meeting at 1539891000

There is no error. Leap years are due to the fact that a year is almost exactly 365.25 days. Leap seconds are due to the Earth's rotation sporadically slowing due to geological activity.

it just works

Attached: 220px-STtng_Communicator.jpg (220x238, 12K)

What that user meant was that the gregorian time actually is a mathematical error because they could have had also include the leap seconds already so we wouldn't need a leap day because a day would not be 24h. It would be 24h + some microseconds or something.
Since that doesn't really makes sense we decided to use a leap day. If we didn't decide for that, then by using 24h + some seconds the seasons would start to shift over the years until in about 20 years summer becomes winter and the other way around.

anways to add to this, I also understand your point and you are not wrong.

A single rotation of the Earth is 1 day. A single revolution around the sun is 1 year, or 365.25 days. These values are set by orbital physics and not humans. Any changes to these values (such as adding seconds to each day) would bring our clocks out of sync with astronomy.

If you were to add a few seconds to each day in order to account for the. 25 days per year, then each year the clocks would shift by 6 hours. So solar noon would slowly shift between 12:00, 18:00, 0:00, 6:00, and back, completing a 24 hour shift over 4 years. Obviously that's fucking stupid, so the leap year solution works.

And it's neglecting any solution that would cause the seasons to shift.

12 and 60 are actually pretty good numbers, because they split into a lot of useful fractions.
>Then add leap seconds!
That's the reality of earth's rotation, not anything that people actually wanted to add.

exactly but I guess that was what the other user was trying to imply. Maybe that user wanted a year after the rotation of the earth around the sun and not the earths own rotation. Obviously that would be fucking stupid, of course but also interesting nonetheless to see the seasons shift.

>2018
>there are still people who think a day has exactly 24 hours
>2018
>believing math
Evolve you dino

Unixtime is better than that.

What if we had year, then day of year, then fraction of day. So 18:00 on October 19 would be:

2018:292.75

Thoughts?

2018 is a stupid arbitrary starting point.
It should be relative to the start of the universe instead.

Why introduce floats where there is no need for them?

The idea of having an arbitrary fundamental time unit to count the number of units that have passed since time 0 isn't bad.

To have arbitrary precision, of course. Most people will only use the first 2 or 3 digits in their daily lives, but timekeeping may need more accurate precision. Also, just because there's a decimal separator doesn't mean you have to store it as a float. You don't put IPV4 adresses in floats.

Oh yeah, and time zones are just a letter starting at A at UTC and incrementing as you go east. So instead of having EST (UTC -5), you have F-2018:292.75

>arbitrary precision
Then use the Planck time.
You literally can't get more precise than that.

i still think the concept was nice (i got an old beat watch right here) but they killed every chance to be taken serious by moving to UTC+1 as standard.