Friendly reminder

Friendly reminder not to support or endorse the HDD jews

Attached: file.png (1228x645, 838K)

What am I supposed to be looking at here? That external hard disks are just internal hard disks inside a cover that allows them to be connected through USB?

back to your söycord /v/irgin

Proprietary internal connector that prevents it from being used as an internal drive?

Literally no other reason to do this than Jewish heritage.

Attached: 1543814636144.png (500x500, 194K)

No, the HDD does not have any SATA connector on the controller PCB, instead it has a direct mUSB port and an integrated USB to SATA converter soldered on
This obviously prevents the HDD to be used anywhere else

I've only seen that in WD drives, do other manufacturers pull off that jewish shit too?

Is that even a standard 2.5inch drive?
I don't think this has been reported on the 3.5 desktop external drives either. Although I do have a habit of taking broken 2,5inch enclosures and taking the usb/sata adaptor for other drives.

Nope, but the USB to SATA adapter has an IC on the PCB that prevents non WD disks to be used with said adapter
Pretty jewish if I do say so myself

Can't you just solder off the integrated converter, and put a sata connector in its place? Also why the converter? Why not just have a usb connector, is it cheaper to manufacture?

USB3 can carry cative scsi/sata commands so it might be that simple along with a 5v power supply. On that note, the usb delivering 5v is probably why this isn't going to happen to 3.5 drives, so happy harvesting those things.

Do you mean the one in the OP pic? I've tried it with a fair amount of ext drives and they tend to work well across the board, although some of them has a 500GB limit.

I see no problems with this.

Can you please move a bit to the left?
Your nose is covering your post

>This obviously prevents the HDD to be used anywhere else
Yeah, USB is just the most common port in existence, after all.

External drives are almost always low performance drives that you wouldn't buy to put in your computer anyway.
If anyone is the jew here it's the people buying external drives to use internally.

Attached: 1510475951258.jpg (640x441, 78K)

>shitty usb controller dies
NOW WHAT, RETARD?

people want to use them "internally" to recover data from a fucked usb controller. but oh look! there's no fucking sata port to hook up to

If you need to recover data from a "broken" drive, you've already fucked up. Always have your data in two places.

dude just shut the fuck up and stop buying this wasteful garbage. a perfectly good drive will get thrown away because wd decided to just not use sata so they can jew you on another purchase

Is that an USB pendrive in a 2.5" SSD case? I hope it's just some /diy/ thing.

And buy what? tape drives that are worse than that?

>hurr bay ssd durr
You cannot possibly be shilling for SSD while it costs almost 10 times more per GB. Anyone buying external hard drives is a retard, don't blame it on the HDD standard.

>hurr tapes durrrrrf
Fucking no. Anyone who funds that shit deserves to be shot, there is LITERALLY nothing more jewish than LTO drives, you cannot read tapes from 2 generations ago in 90% of them and they release a new one every 2 years, fuck them. That's just the LTO readers, never mind the insanely high price of the LTO writers.

Attached: 1501627513402.jpg (407x286, 12K)

My Samsung drive is like that, I opened it because I wanted to plug into data, I was surprised to see I couldn't

Mind explaining to a braiinlet complete beginner in technology what does that mean? Is it that it can only be used in a single machine?

probably some Chinese scam

Tfw all my hard drives are like this, should I be worried?

Just buy normal 2.5 inch laptop HDDs and get a $5 USB to SATA adapter. You can get enclosures for them too if you need portability.

>people want to use them "internally" to recover data from a fucked usb controller.
Put it in another external enclosure.
Or swap out the PCB on it.

the whole point of buying the portable drive and shucking it is to get the drive cheaper.

>implying the Coreans making flash aren't the bigger jews

What brand my boi ?

Can we drop the >jewish meme at least for a day or two its getting really bland

why would you buy an external drive and then use it as an internal drive.
you are retarded

As far as I know all of them do this, WD does it to most of their newer drivers. Seagate does it to some of them.

It is worth checking because there may be reasons why you'd want to not have a USB port soldered on it. If the USB port wears out over time it's still fine if it's a small sata to USB board in a case, you could use it internally or in another case or whatever. Just look it up the model you're interested in before you buy (even then you can't be 100% sure because they do switch what's inside the cases)

Don't fucking by the wrong one stupid. It is designed to be minimal for travel.
They sell other ones that are what you want.

Attached: A9DE_130917254733945826iLXWbc3dvp.jpg (720x540, 8K)

external drives are usually cheaper

I've never seen any decent external HDDs that were cheaper than normal ones. For example, my 1TB WD My Passport (like OP has) was like $52 as of a couple months ago. Just yesterday I ordered a 1TB Seagate HDD for my laptop that was $45.

>Samsung
Fucking bastards.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (693x1280, 97K)

they don't tell you this. you have to find out the hard way. who the fuck would guess they would do this?

Only external drive vendors who doesnt do it to most of them is seagate

>shitty sata controller dies
NOW WHAT, RETARD?

You're a retard extern HDD with USB controller ALSO has a SATA controller.

So you're fucked either way.

I actually wrote an email to WD support asking them about which of their models still has SATA controller and they lectured me about their warranty policy and backing up data in a condescending manner like they've been found out. I asked them again and they sent me a huge datasheet and told me to read it myself. Fuck WD.

>non-standard ports
If it aint sata, don't trust it with your data

Attached: 1535970155422.jpg (449x604, 100K)

You dont get it.

Without proprietary connector: You're only fucked with the driver or SATA controller is dead. You can still use it if the very cheap chinkshit USB-controller is dead.

With connector: Your perfectly working drive with a dead chinkshit USB controller get thrown in the garbage bin.

They complain that they didn't put sata port on it even though it uses sata internally, nevermind that the sata interface is there because pcb is reused from a normal sata drive, and that it's meant as external drive - hence the USB port at all. They saved a couple of cents by not soldering a superfluous extra port and now a bunch of fa/g/ets are platinum mad over this.

Okay shlomo

If you think you can get good shit for a fraction of its market price, you deserve to be chinked - just for being that stupid.

You're not fucked, just replace the PCB with another one.

>usb only abloobloo

Attached: PC-Case-Internal-Motherboard-19Pin-Female-to-2-Port-Double-Layer-USB-3-0-A-Female.jpg (700x700, 34K)

> and now a bunch of fa/g/ets are platinum mad over this.
It's more difficult to repair these drives when USB to SATA bridge dies.