MICRON BUYS INTEL FLASH SUBSIDIARY

OPTANE FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

marketwatch.com/story/micron-to-buy-out-intels-share-of-flash-joint-venture-for-15-billion-2018-10-18

Attached: chrome_2018-10-18_18-03-14.png (970x976, 1.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

intel.com/content/www/us/en/jobs/locations/china/sites/dalian.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does this mean that intel is stopping development of optane? That's pretty concerning considering micron hasn't released any products with it yet. Does this include intel's chinese flash fab?

Attached: intel-campus-fab-68-sign-traffic-china_hdmahfm8__F0010.png (1920x1080, 1.55M)

Optane isn't built by Micron you doofus

If you read the article Micron pulled out because they want to join the RAM price fixing cabal

So ram prices are gonna get higher?

Optane is a joint micron-intel project, and micron bought the only fab that produces it. Look into QUANTX™. it's the same thing.

Attached: MIcron_QuantX_Logo_Gray.Green_678x452.png (678x309, 30K)

L M A O
there goes the stock price again

>but is also the only fab in the world making 3-D XPoint technology, a kind of nonvolatile memory that is meant to improve storage performance and reduce server memory costs

It is now, unless that silicons going to intel supplied by micron under contract then yes optane is gone, unless micron lets them use it and intel builds their own fab to produce it

>Under existing agreements, Micron will sell 3-D XPoint memory wafers to Intel for up to a year after the deal’s close.
Looks like they have a stopgap to figure something out. The problem is does Intel have capacity to even convert other fabs to make something like optane? They are struggling enough with their 14nm capacity and their 10nm is still not ready.

Currently there only memory fab is in China. They sold all of their US nand fabs to Micron last year.

HOLY SHIT IT'S OVER INTLEL IS FINISHED

SELL SELL SELL
>SELL SELL SELL
SELL SELL SELL
>SELL SELL SELL
SELL SELL SELL
>SELL SELL SELL
SELL SELL SELL
>SELL SELL SELL

FYI Intel's Optane was 100% designed by Micron. It is Micron's phase change memory that they showed off years ago. All intel did was buy piece of the pie and help them start fabbing it, which intel has failed to successfully ramp up to their target levels.
Micron has purchased bake the stake that intel originally bought to keep it exclusive.

Look it up.

intel.com/content/www/us/en/jobs/locations/china/sites/dalian.html

Is faggot OP retarded?

Intel makes NAND & Optane at Dalian fab

I think it's likely intel is streamlining the less profitable parts of its business as they know the next year or so of the CPU market is going to be rough for them till they have a proper interposer based chiplet design to counter AMDs technical advantage and designing a completely new chip that isn't just yet another ringbus core refresh will take time.

What worries me is that they might also cut R&D towards their graphics division, I'm hoping they see that as a potential growth market and continue to invest as the graphics market could really use a third big player.

I'll give a brief shitpost history of Micron's Phase Change Memory(PCM)
>research begins in 1960s
>people theorize shit
>nothing happens
>someone starts looking at exotic compounds and how they behave when a current passes through them
>comes up with a white paper on whats needed to make a functional PCM
>basically gets forgotten about
>decades go by
>DRAM is the hot shit
>RAMBUS promises the moon every year
>DRAM is still the only thing that matters
>Micron comes along and says "We rong time deverop PCM, bery bery fast, use no powa."
>They thought it would pan out as the go to memory for super low power mobile devices, they even mentioned partnering with intel back in 2012
>shit disappears
>it may have been available in super low quantity low capacity dies then, no one outside of the industry would know
>intel makes significant investment in a joint business venture with Micron
>all of a sudden this "NEW" memory is being hyped up
>they call it 3D XPoint
>they describe it exactly as PCM
>Its specs are 1:1 with PCM
>Mircon's CEO begins profusely sweating while holding a check from intel and says "We swear it no PCM, arr new tech. Prease understand"
>all of a sudden its no longer 3D XPoint
>its now called Optane
>intel is promising ridiculous capacity Optane drives just around the corner
>they say its going to destroy NAND in capacity and be cheaper
>when further pressed for technical details Micron admits its made from the exact same fucking materials and works the exact same way as PCM
>its PCM
>intel has to revise marketing material and massively downgrade specs
>Optane from intel officially launches
>low capacity, not delivering the speeds first promised, its expensive
>Micron's CEO calls intel's Krzanich and says "How rong you keep fucking me, ehhhhh? You no fuck me. I fuck you!"
>Optane isn't selling
>intel can't get the yields they promised
>Micron buys intel's stake in the joint venture of PCM/3D XPOINT/Optane
Now here we are.

>year
They don't have any kind of MCM design planned until at least late 2020, and probably 2021.

>Is faggot OP retarded?

Attached: intelseethingpajeet.png (813x1402, 324K)

11/10 would read again.

wtf why? They make ssds anyway might as well pump out memory for cheap - and maybe some ram if they can flip some fabs. But I guess any conversions would have 14nm +++++++++ ++++ and 10nm take precedence with supply shortage. But ram margins must be so fat...

DELID DIS

Attached: 1516796859570.png (552x661, 288K)

RIP ADATA SSDs too.

fuck off fake news faggot

Micron is the most moral company in the tech space

It's actually quite scary that I completely believe you based on one post.

Optane is/was such a joke even compared to Intel's own SSDs. And Intel's own SSDs are pricewise a joke if not on sale compared to Samsung. Got my m.2 256GB 600p for 65€ a year ago so I like it.

Humor aside thats pretty much the history of Optane. Its entirely Micron tech, intel paid for exclusivity and probably promised to work out kinks in fabbing it. Their total lack of hype post launch, the paltry line up they offered, still offer, it shows they're incapable of making good on the ridiculous claims they first made. Micron owned 51% of the joint venture and had a clause in there that allowed them to buy back shares from their partner intel. Micron is making use of that clause and cutting intel out.

This isn't something intel decided as they weren't the majority shareholder of IM Flash, Micron was.

Doesn't matter, now it means Optane cache tech can't be locked to Intel anymore

Attached: power9-badge-large.png (512x223, 26K)

Nobody is going to want it.
The new hotness is carbon nanotubes. Even if Optane did deliver it'd be deprecated in a couple years. Nantero had the most impressive demo at HotChips this year, showing off working CNT memory, on a standard DDR4 DIMM no less.
They've got major capital behind them now including Dell, Kingston, an ungodly huge VC firm CFT Capital. They have three major semiconductor partners as well, though none are making their names public yet.

Its cheaper, its faster, doesn't require any proprietary controllers, can be used to replace DRAM and NAND both, it has no endurance limit. Thats the hot new shit coming on the horizon.

pic related

Attached: nanteronramcrossection_caption_web.jpg (800x485, 115K)

how the fuck are people finding uses for graphene and carbon nanotubes for literally everything

I've got no idea, but these guys came out the gate and demoed already mature tech that requires no new tooling and is mass production ready.

Why no one at Jow Forums make a buzz about this?

Because Jow Forums is filled with brainless consumers.
If it’s not Apple vs Google or Microsoft vs Linux it’s not interesting

Normies probably don't understand the significance of it, or don't read enough non gaymer or phone oriented tech news.

Their website is a bit odd.
Gives this used cars salesman vibe, or a bogus kickstarter project.

Attached: imagine gender.png (1270x1107, 1.9M)

you're right here, why aren't you making buzz about this

>septillionth retard doesn't realize that he's part of the problem that he constantly complains about
>more news at 11

Attached: disgust2.png (905x711, 329K)

because it's another episode of This Is Going To Change Everything: Just Believe Us
I'll believe it when it's in production and isn't another piece of overhyped shit

so.......I should buy $MU?

carbon nanotubes in what form factor though?

NV-DIMM? Surely they wouldn't deploy that in anything that doesn't support NVMe

>Nantero + The Machine + Formulus Black

starting to see how an AI might be formed, this kind of shit is really game changing

in-memory compute for AI/ML workloads and this carbon nanotube shit is going to change a lot

STOP DELIDDING

Attached: 1539079592707.jpg (1035x1000, 189K)

wait
aint micron murican?

>dell
>kingston
>chink VC
>Fab by fujitsu

Just guessing that they are founded by asian americans

damn.. i should have known true muricans are all hill billys..

Intel repeatedly BTFO

Attached: d3f5066f008637.jpg (630x630, 63K)

This is not an Article 13 compliant post m8

delid dis

Wasn't intel's original business memory, before they went into the microprocessor space?

cucked

intel must be a dead weight to micron.

fugg

Microns previous CEO was a white guy named Steve Appleton who died in a plane crash.
Their current one is a pajeet named Sanjay something, hes a cofounder of SanDisk.
I could of sworn they had a little Asian guy in there somewhere. Maybe I remembered wrong.

Why?

It's always unbelievable how so many things have been invented already but they are just kept lowkey in some archive. Many people forget some of the fortune 500 have plans spanning decades. It's not even Illuminati tier shit just which way the market goes.

Thats how things go. Theories get tossed around, played with in thought experiment, and then sat on for decades.
Happens with aircraft tech, happens with semiconductors, anywhere you look you can see the same trend.

>Initial tests have shown that NRAM can operate without a hitch at 200°C. However, the specifications claim that NRAM can cope with temperatures up to 800°C as well as store data for more than 1,000 years at 85°C and more than 10 years at 300°C.
DAMN SON

>intel must be dead
ftfy

all that sounds super sick bro when can i put a couple sticks in my gaming rig

Probably sometime in 2019