/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1419634611898.jpg (1024x683, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/libvirt
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: xp.png (831x377, 590K)

What are the proper configurations for gentoo in virtualbox? I played around with gentoo several weeks ago and deleted the image along the way but hope to retry soon. Basically, it can boot and work fine in terminal. Many packages can be compiled and installed. However, sudo and the whole graphical interface won't compile properly because it says my cpu or kernel is missing support for an instruction set. What could I have done wrong?

What's a good base of GUI applications for i3? Gnome? KDE? Talking about polkit, settings manager, etc.

Find the program you like an then install its deps

reminder the distro + wm combo I use is the best one. I also have the best taste in all types of art.

Attached: penguin-drawing-53.png (450x340, 32K)

Proud of you son

That's not a gnu tho.

Elementary is good for beginners?

Attached: 1536705968069.gif (487x560, 898K)

Honestly, my opinion of Elementary is based off of trying it 5 years ago but it was buggy as shit and is ugly as shit.

Install Manjaro or Ubuntu.

How do I tell if a kernel will be useful for a while?

I just recently switched to 4.17 and it's already EOL. Trying to decide between 4.18 or 4.19 now.

I'm tired of using envypn and I don't like terminus. May I get some recomendation on fonts? Also, which font pkg should I get if I don't get the xorg one? Is hard to make its rendering good.

Just use Xubuntu 18.10 ye fckn snowflake.

Linux*

I deleted my swap partition on my LUKS encrypted system. System boots, but it takes a while because it spits out dozens of messages about the swap partition not being found, so obviously I didn't do it the proper way.
What do I do to properly remove the swap encryption?

What operating system?

Whatever boot process was originally setting up the swap just needs to be informed of the change. Make sure there's no entry for a swap partition in /etc/fstab.

And /etc/crypttab.

:^)

Attached: crux and pals.jpg (640x480, 110K)

i know this could go in /v/ (or /wsr/), but whats a really simple mindless game like league for linux?
looking for something to tide me over til i get my second computer built so it can run windozer and play league, but until then i don't really have anything to play apart from mobile games.

My gaming PC parts are coming in tomorrow. Most games I play are linux compatible apparently so I didn't bother buying a Windows license?

What do I need to install besides steam and proton?

On Arch btw

How do I make grub pick up on my windows install on a secondary drive?
I can read NTFS, I have it mounted, but grub-mkconfig never picks up on it.

try installing windows

Install os-prober.

I've got it and when I run it I get no output.

i want to play league and it just doesnt work on linux, its also the only game that all my other friends play together so

If Nvidia: The blob drivers. Seriously. Noveau sucks a fat fucking dong.
If AMD: Good luck.

you have a few options
1) Dual boot. That's what I do on my laptop when I wanna play overwatch, I just slapped an extra 120gb ssd in and use it exclusively for buggy games.
2) Slap an extra card in and use GPU-passthrough. I do this on my desktop, though I don't play any games on the linux host as a result.
3) Kill yourself

i'll just wait for the wifi card for my other pc, i just wanted to know if there was something to tide me over til then pls dont be so hostile

I'll be as hostile as I damn well please.
No but seriously your options are pretty much either dual-boot or GPU passthrough if there's not a working WINE setup. Maybe check out Lutris? They managed to get overwatch working in linux, they might have a LoL fix too.

yeah they act like they have it working on lutrix but it won't even install the game, i've basically given up on getting it to run on linux. It's kind of shitty that one of the most played games ever doesn't have a linux client desu.

ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics
>only 3% of ubuntu users who opt in to telemetry select to use lvm from the installer
>only 3% select FDE
>29% chose to enable auto-login on startup, e.g. literally zero physical security whatsoever when paired with no FDE
Jesus Christ. Perhaps the 33% who opt out of telemetry as well as the 21% of the 66% who install manually do something smarter, but the average Ubuntu user is ignorant beyond belief.
And in general, why isn't LVM popular?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-18_21-13-31.png (1038x395, 24K)

Bash is such a ugly scripting language. I want to write a script that mounts external usb storage devices and one that switches my thinkpad's touchpad on and off, but can't stand writing in bash. Give me a good resource on python scripting for gnu/linux.

Attached: 800px-BrianJFox.png (800x1069, 1.08M)

It's not the default.
You're basically asking why most windows 10 users end up making microsoft accounts even though it's in no way required: That's just the first option they're given

Only 33% of physical installs use the default settings. So people are changing the defaults. Auto-login isn't a default.

POSIX shell is fine for very simple tasks.

I thought AMD has bigger support than Nvidia?

It's fine. I definitely think you should use bash/shell for mounting, as with Python you'll have to call subprocess, which is ugly. It's only a couple LoC for something so trivial.
However, you may want to look into systemd service files if you use systemd, which can handle mounting. Actually, I believe systemd will automount anything in fstab for you when plugged in. So edit your fstab with the UUIDs and mount points, and when systemd detects your USB, it'll auto-mount it.
Alternatively, many file managers can auto-mount, e.g. thunar-volman if you're using Thunar.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-18_21-28-31.png (800x873, 121K)

In terms of API calls games use, no. Unless you're talking about really old games.

in windows you can download and archive your basic programs to install on a new installation.

on linux you can(???) make a script that installs your stuff?
like "sudo pacman -S pycharm keepass.."
is this the only solution?
I prefer to use visual interface since I'm a beginner.

Attached: 1526717047081.jpg (200x213, 8K)

Use a LTS kernel, the current LTS release is 4.14, 4.19 will also be LTS.

pacman keeps a cache in /var/cache/pacman/pkg of all currently installed packages.

Any idea when we can expect libvirt 4.7 in Gentoo? 4.6 doesn't work and it seems that 4.5 is no longer in the repository.

Get the ebuild and bump the version number and build it

Bash is beautiful.

I bought a librebooted x200 a couple of months ago and later bought an ssd, but never got around to installing the ssd and installing a distro on the ssd.
(was thinking of gentoo back then, and I still like it because of no systemd and being able to make it free)
I've wanted to install something on it for a couple of days now, but because of the current state of linux I'm not sure what to do?

should I install a linux distribution on it and if so which one is the safest bet?

Gonna need a virtual machine software that's easy and just werks to use graphics programs and other hardware accelerated stuff in windows
Any noticeable difference between vmware and gnome boxes? Just want something with less performance loss

Install Xbuntu and keep doing whatever you're doing before.

Is there a way to create aliases for unicode characters? For example, instead of writing Shift+Ctrl+U + F6 to get รถ, one could go with Shift+Ctrl+U + o, because it's way easier to memorize.

any reason why I should use xubuntu over debian with xfce?
since I want to keep the system free.

So I'm trying to do this, but when I try to create and edit the file I get the following

[ Error writing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf: No such file or directory ]

Pretty straight forward but I'm still puzzled and couldn't find the answer on the internette.

Install VirtualBox. Works great with windows guests and has some level of 2d and 3d hardware acceleration for windows.

May I ask what font do you use on your picture?

Does the path exist on your system?

Not him, but what about Hyper-V? I want to create a Windows server and client within that host, is that a little too much for VirtualBox?

Well, only /etc/X11/ and I only have an xorg.conf file.

>creating a VM inside a VM
you don't do that.

Then create the folder and create the file.
Get rid of xorg.conf

packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/libvirt

Ask the maintainer or the gentoo virt team.

Well I'd only need that for school obviously. I guess that means I should look for a better software.

>How many users opted in?
>We appreciate the trust that has been given to us with handling this data and we aim to use the results to focus our development efforts on where it matters most to users.

>opted in
But it's opt-out.

You could hack something together using xdotool + xbindkeys.

Created it manually I forgot that I can use "mkdir" instead of "touch" all the time...

It works now but I didn't remove xorg.conf. Any reason to do so?

>Any reason to do so?
Its been depreciated for years. If you need specific configs put them in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. You dont need the whole bullshit like you used too, xorg autodetects 99% of everything you would have put in there. Most times you'll cause more problems with a full xorg then just letting it do it by its self

>you have a few options
>1) Dual boot. That's what I do on my laptop when I wanna play overwatch, I just slapped an extra 120gb ssd in and use it exclusively for buggy games.
>2) Slap an extra card in and use GPU-passthrough. I do this on my desktop, though I don't play any games on the linux host as a result.
>3) Kill yourself
Option 3 is tempting

there's no reason for the average person to care about physical security

>using ubuntu to represent the real Linux userbase
UNFORGIVABLE

i wish these two boomers would just stop

I cant wait for stallman to die and no one wanting to front the 20k it takes to bury his stinky fat ass, so his corpse gets sent to a prison cemetery with no tombstone.

They are much much better now. But you need to use a PPA.

I'm trying to install Lubuntu on my old computer, but it isn't working.

Only, after I enable PXE OPROM, go back into BIOS and disable PXE OPROM again, then it opens the Lubuntu screen.

But, when I select check for errors, it goes on forever. And when I select boot from first HDD, it says "booting from local disk... boot error"

Does anyone know what to do? Or where to find a solution?

Attached: 1538777185456.jpg (601x601, 106K)

Not really, Xubuntu just werks out of the box while Debian needs tweaking, if you want to be a freetard but dont want to bother tweaking you could look at Trisquel if they have an Xfce version.

Duuuudes, slow down.

Attached: 1537677604655.png (1110x590, 572K)

This one time I added a Tumbleweed repo to my OpenSUSE Leap install without realising and I broke my shit beyond all hope when it upgraded half of my shit to the Tumbleweed version.
With that in mind, can I add the emulators repo from 42.something to 15.1 without everything breaking?

Where is the best place to get themes?

Okay, fuck it. I am going to install it with Daemon Tools.

How would devuan compare in usability and security to arch. Aside from systemd, I'm more talking how open/secure it is by default compared to arch installed with only the open and secure programs I want to use on.

Attached: h.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

I've installed Mint on my laptop, but everything is way too small.
How can I enlarge everything? Similar to large text accessibility in GNOME.

I think I am too much of a brainlet to install Linux.

Attached: 1538772342602.png (1000x871, 482K)

installing obongo is not harder than install windows.

how the fuck do you get rid of the window title bars in mate?
shit looks like it's from the early 2000s.

There should be something related to dpi or scaling just look it up

just download the linux variation of your choice from its respective website in the form of an .iso, and if you don't want your system to be full out linux you can just install it on a virtual machine like virtualbox

download Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, or any other popular "beginner-friendly" distro
burn image to disc or make a bootable USB drive
boot from disc/USB
fuck around a bit and have reactions like "oooh this is nice", "wow it works fine", and "I want tacos tonight"
click the "Install " on the desktop
follow instructions
HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK, LINUX INSTALLED! YOU ARE HACKERMAN!

Theres a million youtube videos you can look at with Mint/Buntu users showing how to install Linux

what bistro? installing ubuntu or mint isn't harder than clicking "next" until you're done.

Does a certain distro have more set of drivers in their repo or are these held within the kernel version you use?

I'm getting a Ryzen APU today for my desktop and wondering what distro I should install with it. I have Manjaro on my laptop and it just werks but never ran Linux on a desktop before.

OKAY, HERE'S WHAT'S UP.

I DOWNLOADED THE ISO

PUT IT ON THE USB WITH RUFUS

PUT SAID USB IN MY SAMSUNG RV520

START PC

CHECK IF LEGACY IS GUCCI, YEP

CHECK IF USBCD IS AT THE TOP OF PRIORITY, YEP

SAVE CHANGES

DOESNT BOOT FROM USB

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: Sminem.jpg (600x450, 29K)

Disable legacy boot.
Disable secure boot.
Use Disk Imager.

Rufus has too many settings for a noob. Disk Imager just pick iso and click a button and just werks. You don't need to enable legacy unless you're running a distro that doesn't support EFI or something about that magic.

sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

I want a user-friendly distro that's nice to look at.
Debian is fucking hideous and Mint looks quite outdated.
What would you recommend? Ubuntu?

debian is beautiful kys

haven't tried it but try solus

Install a theme retard.

Deepin is most comfy that doesn't look like a MacOS/Microshit ripoff like every other DE. Plus the Chinese wimin will notice you

Change resolution

Debian because it's good and looks is what YOU have to configure.

>lul install lunix, is doesn't spy
>jump ship off win10 b/c fuck spyware
>install ubongo
>spies on me
Nice meme, fuck you

Is anyone using dwm with more than a few patches? How are you managing your installation? As far as I can tell, after a few patches it becomes more and more unlikely that you're able to automatically patch the dwm.c file with "patch -p1 /path/to/.diff". I don't mind manually adding the code for simpler and smaller patches, but with larger patches this becomes time consuming and annoying pretty quickly.

You're supposed to know a bit of C to use suckless tools.