/hsg/ - Home Server General

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why, then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---->Newsphoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc7601-2p&num=1

MongoDB switches up its open-source license
>techcrunch.com/2018/10/16/mongodb-switches-up-its-open-source-license/

Raspberry Pi's Raspbian OS Updated With New Kernel
>phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raspberry-Pi-Raspbian-20181009

Arm: 'One million' data center servers will ship in 2018
>theregister.co.uk/2018/10/17/arm_data_center_servers/

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: 1531850750510.jpg (850x680, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dfrobot.com/product-1728.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5vu5ydB8FAg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is this the best/cheapest sbc x86 ever?

Attached: 1524246497974.png (390x517, 83K)

Depends on your use case user...duh?
What're you trying to accomplish? Just general fuckarounditry? Raspberry pi because it has the most support and docuementation. Want to get away from that? Tinkerboard S is probably best value

need absolutely x86. I'm already using a pi right now

So my current setup:

NAS:
Old PC case with about 20 TB worth of HDD in running snapraid and Debian. I do all my downloads, torrents, Plex, etc. on here.

Odroid:
Running openlec kodi, connects via Ethernet to modem so can access NAS.

Works well.

I have some questions:
Why are HDD so expensive in aus? Fkn sucks. What's the best value hdd size?

I'm almost out of sata ports. Are there mobos with a heap of them? Or should I get a PCI sata extender thing?

Should I encrypt my HDD? All they're really used for is pirated movies games etc. What's the best way to do this while still having raid?

>SBCs
Does anybody here reuse old desktops for home servers? I like jamming my stuff into 19" racks.

apparently the up core is also a thing but without onboard connectivity. I'm forced to buy a pci wifi adapter for the job

Attached: 1512146540845.png (1188x370, 226K)

I was wrong it has indeed onboard connectivity I just have to get an antenna

Attached: 1517629387901.png (1151x489, 592K)

Why come chiruno is so surprised?

Attached: 2a5a3eac849cd811bd9cdc63205efb18.jpg (900x1200, 521K)

What're you using it for?
This is brand new, and quite frankly quite beastly:
dfrobot.com/product-1728.html

PCI sata extender thingys are fine. Or take the plunge and go enterprise grade with a backplane. Just make sure to get one that has a JBOD compatible RAID card for snapraid or ZFS.

you buy sbcs mostly for the reduced form factor and tpd. old reused pc might be cheap in comparison but they consumes way more. I think we are getting closer and closer to sub $100 x86 pc since the current minimum I found is $110-120. when the day will come it will make old pc reuse dumb in comparison

I made a dust filter

Attached: IMG_20181019_203148.jpg (4096x3072, 2.26M)

Those little slip on socks you get at shoe stores?

For that much might as well get a NUC

Can an odroid power an external HDD without some dumb little adapter?

Attached: 201801041642348573.jpg (500x436, 122K)

Attached: 201801130525578944.jpg (667x375, 110K)

nah, panty hose I got at women's legs

I want to put a J4205 itx in a little case, HTPC form factor. Got 8GB old laptop ram to go with it. My use case is simple servers or containers, OpenVPN server, maybe some network tinkering, and have Nas capability with internal drives in raid mirror. Don't want to fuck around with ZFS, just need somewhere central to stick files, ISOs, music and shit. Thinking I maybe have proxmox with a VM for NAS stuff, another VM for Debian server with OpenVPN and other duties. My questions are, will a NAS VM work with simple software raid for HDDs (passthrough needed?), and, the case I like takes 2.5" drives, will I need to go with WD Reds or will standard drives do?

>RPi for NAS

Attached: 1436881528245.jpg (183x185, 9K)

>enterprise grade with a backplane
Not sure what this is, any examples?

He is talking about a backplane with a SAS expander I can only assume

>old reused pc might be cheap in comparison but they consumes way more
This. Energy is expensive in fag countries.

found a ton of 19" 1U server rack things laying around at my university. gonna ask if I can snag a few since it looks like they're gonna be scrapped. Don't know if they have drives, but I assume the PCBs and stuff are there.

I don't pay for electricity here anyway, so I'm thinking about putting these bad boys under my lofted bed, I have tons of space. good idea or not?

> I'm thinking about putting these bad boys under my lofted bed
You have no idea how loud 1U servers are do you?

Attached: prepare your earholes.gif (492x376, 538K)

Anyone using CEPH?

ceph rules what do you wanna know about it?

How to get started. I just want to throw lots of disks into servers and have it all pooled by the software, so that expanding is just intalling new disks and watching the program load balance.

well now I do.
Still worth it to salvage parts maybe?

If they're old enough to be scrapped from a university then there arent any parts worth scrapping. Certainly not enough to buy the requisite components to make a server(s).

Pls respond

Anyone run the linuxserver htpc stack successfully on windows? I just bought a Define R6 and 3x4tb reds and I want to use it for my main rig not a server.

I used this along with about 4 days of fucking about with setting up and reading docs when I was setting ceph up in my lab at work youtube.com/watch?v=5vu5ydB8FAg
The red hat docs are much easier to follow than the official ceph docs

Attached: 47qelchy5mr11.jpg (845x686, 82K)