Sell me linux

It is actually good or you just want to feel like some epic computer hacker with your javascript's or whatever...

you know that linux is for professional use and not for browsing the internetz.

Attached: 1536271498760.png (415x372, 70K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: RMS.png (450x399, 293K)

Literally pointless, just use Windows 7.

Attached: 1529698958506.jpg (178x161, 23K)

if you have to ask surely you don't give a shit anyway so what's the point?

dumb anime posters i swear

I use it because I don'tlike Microsoft's business practices and I like the added control Linux allows

That's it. No need for 1337 h4z0r skillzzzzz

a thread died for this, fuck off

>anime

It works fine for both. Casual browsing shit is great on linux.
Workstation productivity is the main thing that linux isn't best at, and that's only because all the mainline programs (image, video editing mostly) are windows only.

get off this board
>>>/reddit/

based and redpilled

>Not for browsing the internetz
Wrong. Some GNU+Linux distros are specifically for browsing the internet securely

>sell me linux
it's free user !

>just use Windows 7
Until support dies in 2020.

Hopefully by then Proton/DXVK is fleshed out and gaymur winrefugees will have a place to go. Doesn't hurt to get started learning a new OS early though, OP.

/thread

>2020
Your shit isn't going to magically stop working once support ends and there's updates after that anyway, for a fee.
You'll probably be able to pirate the KBs if you really care that much about support.

Linux is for the Internet of Things

>Your shit isn't going to magically stop working once support ends
Sure, but the same is true of something like Windows XP--tell me how enjoyable that is to use nowadays (inb4 "comfy").

So, you'll get to the point where you'll either have an insecure system, or you'll have to pay money (which btw the fee increases every year and will probably be steep since it's aimed at businesses, not home users--speaking of which the option will only be available on business versions of Windows 7) or pirate updates (which is a self defeating, pain in the ass idea) for the sake of having a secure system for a few more years, and even then this program only lasts until 2023.

In the long run, you'll be left with an unavoidably insecure system, but more importantly to the average user, software/hardware will gradually start dropping support until Win7 becomes effectively unusable as a modern operating system.

At this point, your options are to continue to use a grossly outdated operating system (like the people still languishing on Windows XP), switch to Win10 (which you would have done by now if you didn't think it was shit, and it's probably going to be even more of a hellish nightmare 5 years from now), or use another operating system.

>of something like Windows XP
In like a decade+.
>insecure system
Common sense + uBO.
>pain in the ass
lmao, also see above
> software ... will gradually start dropping support
Way, way off in the distance
>hardware ... will gradually start dropping support
If I upgraded to the highest spec 7 officially supports I literally don't see issues with my workflow for at least a decade.

You are actually in control of your own PC

Tbh at the cost of learning a few things, you actually get a lot for your money with linux.

>In like a decade+.
Windows 7 is already almost a decade old. By the time extended support had died for Windows XP (2014), it was already barely usable and on life support. By 2023 end of *paid* (not general) support, Windows 7 will have had about as long of a lifespan as Windows XP.

>le common sense meme :^)
lmao

>pain in the ass
It's fucking stupid to pirate updates from both a practical perspective and a security perspective--it's entirely self defeating if your end goal is security. You're better off just not updating at that point.

>Way, way off in the distance
DX12 doesn't support Windows 7. The latest release of Office doesn't support Windows 7. I'm sure there's some stuff I'm missing. Doesn't sound "Way off in the distance" to me. Plus, if Microsoft gets their way and enforces their "app store only" bullshit, you can bet that Windows 7 software support will be wholly axed.

>If I upgraded to the highest spec 7 officially supports I literally don't see issues with my workflow for at least a decade.
Basically, what I'm gathering from your post is "if you want an insecure system and old hardware, keep using Windows 7"

So, okay, do that if you want. It's not like this is Microsoft's first operating system--if you can't see the writing on the wall from past releases, you're retarded.

>it's free
Only if you don't value your free time.

Attached: based chink.jpg (900x900, 108K)

This guy can't even be bothered to get a haircut. And he re-uses 20-year-old lines.

>Being this assblasted

Attached: dude.jpg (736x916, 260K)

>best response he can come up with is an ad-hominem argument

Linux is a kernel.

>muh 7 will be xp barely usable
10 (used it for a few months) literally performed identically to 7 in my workflow.

>common sense meme
You tell me faggot, how am I going to get infected if I block all JS and 3rd party content by default, firewall, only pirate video files and don't use random fucking flash drives.

>DX12
I don't do gaymen.
>latest release of Office
Oh no, how will I live without more muh cloud.
2010 literally does everything I need it to.

>Microsoft gets their way and enforces their "app store only" bullshit
Are you retarded? Do you not know how many shekels they make from enterprise customers that rely on old as fuck win32 shit? Of course they aren't axing it. Also, pic related.

>what I'm gathering from your post is "if you want an insecure system and old hardware, keep using Windows 7"
Clearly you can't read.

All those words and you still haven't come up with once (1) argument for me to switch operating systems.
It's not even a case of
>hurr durr newer = worse
but rather there is literally no point in installing something else when there is no need to.

Attached: file.png (646x724, 688K)

Attached: Zrzut_ekranu_z_20180712_232729.png (314x300, 117K)

It is better in my opinion. Use it or don’t. I don’t give a fuck. Why do you people feel you need to be sold everything? You know what you want out of a computer right? Then you should get what you want.