The story behind the first iPhone still blows me away

You see, as somebody who is working at the moment on a project with 0, ZERO reference work, there is absolutely nothing at least published on this stuff, I understand Apple. You neets won't ever understand what's it like to work on something without anything to guide you. These days 90% of the work is basically done for the chinks, because they just have to reimplement what Apple has done. No real work there.

youtube.com/watch?v=xxBc1c3uAJw

Attached: 1538330393756.gif (1000x563, 3.8M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/jeff_han_demos_his_breakthrough_touchscreen
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 7658b041d81b2d3b7c7d56691f88f91b619286ab338feee4560a247676a6a566.jpg (619x619, 25K)

>without anything to guide you
Other than everything Palm and Blackberry did, or Symbian, or Windows Mobile

>take a blackberry
>move the keyboard onto a touchscreen
>integrate itunes
shit nobody ever could have come up with that

>shit nobody ever could have come up with that

then why didn't they?

Yep, you're a brainlet. It's easy once you know how it all looks already. Go back in 2006 and tell me how every fucking phone worked. Why was it Apple, out of all the fucking companies in the world that made the smartphone work? They weren't even in the phone market. Why was it them? Why not Nokia, since everybody had a nokia?

Then why the fuck did they need to get into cruch mode and work 160 hour weeks if everything was """solved"""? Just because? Fuck you, seriously, fuck you.

Android was well into development when the iPhone hit the market.

>Go back in 2006 and tell me how every fucking phone worked.
Identical to or better than an OG iPhone, but with a physical keyboard?

You seem to have some real hardcore nostalgia goggles on. OG iPhone didn't even have an app store. It was a fucking featurephone with a browser, iTunes and a touch screen.

>companies push their workers to meet arbitrary deadlines
>this is revolutionary
are you actually braindead

They did. PDA with on-screen keyboard and a fucking music player = done.
Why is this shit here and not on /b/? The shitheads there like to argue about anything.

This is the design/prototype phase, you incel. It's not the end of the development, it's the initial phase. No need for crunch mode there. And yet they did it because Jobs is a fucking sadist. Cannot expect innovation out of Apple now without someone like Jobs

OH GOD APPLE IS SO ORIGINAL YES YES YES MORE DEEPER REACH DEEPER INTO MY WALLET

Attached: IBM_Simon_Personal_Communicator.jpg (1615x3000, 1.02M)

>stylus
You people are absolutely insane. No perspective. Do you know that it's been proven that animals don't have a sense of perspective? That's what you are.

>literally defending a feature phone
An iPhone without the App Store is a feature phone. You know, the old $20 flip phones with a few preinstalled apps and a browser? That is the software level of an OG iPhone.

Apple get massive lawsuit because copy image processing,OS, hardware ,wireless tech from Nokia.

Academia get a lot work for IU,Mobile OS ...

The software level of the OG iPhone was its design language. People lost their shit when they saw the pinch to zoom interaction. The iPhone solved the problem of UI/UX of the modern phone. That's the revolutionary part.

Stop making fun of our American friends.
They realize they elected a shitstain.

ted.com/talks/jeff_han_demos_his_breakthrough_touchscreen

this....

The real innovation was Multitouch and the simulated physical feel of the ui elements (afaik patented to the moon and back, thats why android still has a different end-of-scroll effect).
I remember vividly how they tried to push html-apps the first year, all of which where dropped and forgotten the moment the proper SDK came out.

Ha, i remember that, and i remember thinking that someone should build a Multitouch computer, with only flash memory and passive cooling.
AFAI there are atleast rumors that the iPad was prototyped at the same time as the ipad, but was held back until the software ecosystem was more developed since it did not have the one big selling feature of "it can make calls"

Yes, this is JUST like the iPhone, and presents exactly the same challenge. That phone has a multitouch capacitive screen with a full internet browser, right?

you better believe they were getting paid and also stock options. those motherfuckers are rich now

this

Attached: RIGGERS RIGGING.gif (400x400, 3.62M)

Original iPhone had no 3g, no mms, no multitask, no apps

This, back then my ol trusty Nokia E71 could do all that shit and much much more, I couldn't care less about the iShit, I would still use my E71 until 2012 when I finally moved to a Galaxy S3

This thread just proves that the average code monkey has no idea about user interfaces.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

They did actually.
Apple was not the first.

disguised apple chill

gr8 b8 m8 8/8

Smart phones in Japan predate the iPhone.

OP you seem to be confusing technological breakthrough with using technology developed by other people to create a unique product. "0%" reference work? It's more like 98% of the work was done for them.

Yeah, I should get millions for modifying pre exsisting parts in a machine. This is how we know the system is broken.

>capacitive screen
Hardware of the time
> full internet browser
Software. And phones with full browsers were already a thing.

Look the iphone was basically a pda that could make calls. Technologically it was not that impressive.

Multitouch was legitimately impressive at the time. The other innovations were in the software. I used other smartphones of the time and they were far behind in how enjoyable they were to use. It didn't take long for Android to catch up, but I don't think you'll understand unless you tried the original iPhone compared to other top end stuff at the time.

I was in my teens so it felt like it took forever. Want to say it was 3 or 4 years before it was on par.

Yeah I remember it (or really the first ipod touch) was the first touch-device in my lifetime that wasn't an infuriating piece of shit to use. In middleschool, the kid with the ipod touch and papi jump was the center of attention for pretty much the rest of like 7th grade.