/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: tfw thinkpad.png (512x512, 142K)

lolis

>tfw thinkpilled

So what about that e585.
Is it worth getting as an entry level Thinkpad?

w-what kind of SSD does x220 take
can I use both ssd and hdd at the same time

msata & yes

coreboot masterrace

would the hdd make too much noise or will the cpu be the main noise maker

run two ssds instead

with the HDD Caddy, you can run 3 separate physical drives. the micro or whatever ssd, its tiny and goes under the keyboard, and the other two drives, one in regular spot, and the one in the where the dvd drive got replaced by the caddy. run all ssds for masterrace

What's the turnaround time for a custom thinkpad laptop? Am I really waiting 10 days before it gets shipped?

an HDD will be audible but the fan at full speed will be louder

Is 60$ for a T61 a good deal ?

Anyone try the 2-in-1s like the Thinkpad Yoga X1 or Dell 7390? How are they with the wacom pen? I'm thinking of getting them for taking notes since I went back to school.

x220 doesn't have a cd drive..

>where the dvd drive got replaced by the caddy

The adapter doesn't fit because there's no place to put it. Hence, there's no DVD drive in the x220 comment.

Attached: nub.jpg (1024x768, 340K)

I have an x220, is it worth it to buy a t420 for extra speed?

>t. linux loosr

>X220 CD drive

>Brainlet.jpeg

Just make sure the hdd is 7mm.

Older hdd are 9.5mm, I got mine stuck doing a function check and had to shit my pants learning how to disassemble the keyboard on the way to pushing it out.

T450s / T420 + babby distro

Attached: 20181019_190700.png (2016x1134, 2.75M)

what os is that on your T420?

Both are Xubuntu.

sweet, how well does it run

Hey guys, I just picked up an X200 without a battery or adapter. Any tips on where to get these things for cheap?

Good enough for the light programming / general use. Battery was life was shit, but I think that's mostly due to it being an older battery at the end of its lifespan. Wanted more battery life so I got the T450s instead of dumping into a new battery.

I'm sure you can get genuine ones for cheap on ebay although I've never had to buy one.

Thanks. Well they're not too expensive on eBay ($16) bur I was wondering if you guys have found any stores that might carry them for cheaper

someone is offering x280 fhd\16gb\256\i5 for less than 160burgers near my area. theres a cash on delivery option but only during night\weekends. should i go for it or is this what human traffickers use as bait?

Attached: 1523225889009.png (540x524, 110K)

Sounds good but do the transaction inside of a Starbucks or in front of a police station.

That is, indeed, very suspicious.

If you have the ALPS you might as well throw that shit into the garbage, my dude.

Attached: 1539822658428.jpg (577x451, 82K)

What the difference in felling ? Also which thinkpad are equipped whit NMB by default?

>What the difference in felling ?
it's pretty slight really.
> Also which thinkpad are equipped whit NMB by default?
None. Or rather, all thinkpads source keyboards from multiple manufacturers.

For reference, I have NMB on my T60 and Chicony on my X200.

You can check your by tilting the display 180 degrees and then looking at the function keys from that perspective. No need to mess with screws.

The 'Lenovo Lottery' is one reason I stopped giving a shit about these meme office laptops.

>look up manufacture codes on keyboard model numbers for your kind of keyboard
>even more fucked because they're all different for different keyboard layouts
>people who stock keyboards 99% of the time will just send you anything even if the correct model number is the only one shown
>most keyboard eBay listings just show all of them because they're just made to fit your machine all the same
>play a literal lottery and be too fucking lazy to send the inevitable ALPS shitfest back
>buy 2 brand new Lenovo laptops from the same model type and get two different keyboards

If you're this autistic, a Mac is honestly the most OCD designed thing that exists. I hate Lenovo's manufacturing tolerances, the creaks and mis-aligned panels as an owner of a W530, an X220 and an X230.

Any guide for installing macOS on the T430? I've followed a couple but they were too outdated and resulted in misterious errors.

yeah here's a comprehensive guide

Attached: 1519231109256.jpg (825x523, 54K)

its not a thinkpad, but can I join?
>i5-2540m
>4GB RAM
>320GB HDD
>1600x900 matte screen
>magnesium body
>paid £75

I added a BX500 SSD which cost me £13 with an amazon code, and 4GB more RAM for £10.
Was thinking of adding a i7-2760QM or i7-2860QM for that quad-core/eight-thread performance increase. Worth it? My CPU is socketed.

forgot pic

Attached: IMG_4349.jpg (797x990, 223K)

yes

no

no

>probook
only elitebooks can join

>No clit mouse

Get out you pleb

Do you guys also disable the Trackpad in the BIOS?

Just bought a t410 for $91
Running:
i5 dual core
8gb ddr3
128gb hhd
Os -> Ubuntu
Might throw in a ssd

Get out.

Attached: 1538635038718.jpg (367x440, 36K)

Why use the trackpad when you've got Thinkpoint?

I use an actual mouse

>autism: the thread

Whats the deal with these white spots?

Attached: 1535038059764.jpg (4000x2280, 1.95M)

nipple on the keyboard
heehee

Probably the keyboard hitting the screen while closed.

Can i fix this somehow or do i need to buy a new panel?

did you cummed on it?

nope

It already comes with a HDD Im getting a SSD on black friday or something for cheap to add to it

Am I stuck using iwlwifi as a the wireless driver for my T420s? Still no FOSS alternatives?
Is changing the wireless chip the solution? And does anyone have any experience with that?

What are your trackpoint settings?
I want to get used to it but even on low sensitivities and speeds it's jittery as fuck and completely unusable.

Attached: 5002237292_19034d5f33_n.jpg (320x213, 17K)

is the build quality of the X230 better than the X240/X250?

Attached: DSC_0201.jpg (1600x1067, 270K)

You haven't discovered a guaranteed way to get a NMB keyboard yet? Why are there no sellers just as autistic as us?

toggle between sensitivity and acceleration

hell yeah, it also easy to repair and disassemble. the only downside is the screen.

you'll end up using them as regular laptops

I ended up getting a latitude e7270, and honestly i'm pretty happy i didn't get a thinkmeme. they're incredibly ugly machines desu, this dell at least has a neutral utilitarian look to it.

You think so? Is it that bad? I already have a Latitude 7250 so buying a 2-in-1 for the pen seems pretty stupid if I just end up using it as a regular laptop.

What I don't like with the 12" 7000 latitudes is they don't have a clit mouse. My 7250 also has a bunch of coil whine. So did my e6220 before it. Otherwise, it's pretty good desu.

Will these 20 dollar chink 3-key trackpads work properly in my T440p?

idk user, i had one of these 2-in-1s and at first i used it extensively in all the modes. but it's just too heavy/too big and within a month i ended up using it as a regular laptop 99% of the time.
your mileage may vary

never used a trackpoint really. i tried it on a friend's thinkpad and didn't know how to use it; it moves the cursor horribly slowly. he doesn't use it either.
could you redpill me on what i'm missing?

you have to adjust the settings until it feels comfortable for you, once you find the sweet spot you won't be able to go back

Objectively worse.

Sad!

lol I know what you mean. I had to dismantle to libreboot the T400 I bought...I meticulously labeled plastic bags and put the screws in them accordingly. There's shit loads of screws in these ThinkPads.

You have to get used to it and not just try it for a few minutes on a friend's. I had problems with my thinkpad so I just returned it and got a latitude instead. I just hate using the trackpad so I bring my mouse to med school. I'm the only person who uses a mouse in class, though.

I'm looking to buy an older ThinkPad, something like the 380XD for nostalgia purposes, as far as i understand it, i'll need a new CMOS battery, a new laptop battery, a charger and i'll need a boot diskette for Windows 95/98/2000 (whichever i choose to install), and an installation CD for the OS.
Am i forgetting anything? I'd need drivers, right? What's the best way of getting those over to it? Floppy or a CD? I'll probably need a floppy drive to write a Windows boot disk image to it right? Where do i get images like that?

why keep those ugly stickers

i left it on so whenever a prof or tutor at uni has to help me at uni i don't have to see them look at me with disgust

>letting other people touch you computers

what would be the rec price for an x1 carbon 4th gen? i7 6600, 16gb ram, 256 ssd. small pixel problem on the screen but nothing major

Use plastic pillboxes.

The X220 only needed to undo 2 screws to get the keyboard off so it was not a problem.

Disassembly of keyboard was a problem since it was literally the first time I took a keyboard off a laptop.

Attached: images (19).jpg (350x192, 11K)

Does anybody here, by any chance, have experience with replacing the x1 carbon 2nd gen's enitre keyboard (the one with the "adaptive" keyboard row) with a 3rd gen keyboard?

By the looks of it, as well as the dimensions it's fine (except the power button but should be no problem.) Then, I don't know about the controller and how the adaptive keyrow is hooked up vs normal F-keyrow...

I'm just tired of these bullshit touch F-keys.

Attached: x1 carbon 2nd 3rd.jpg (1956x2164, 883K)

Boyos I need a new thinkpad and cant decide. Not quite sure when new models roll out and I really want to use my new SDR.
Needs
>Thunderbolt3
>nvme&sata

Yeah. I like to use the area of the trackpad to rest my wrists and use the trackpoint exclusively anyway.

there are.

Get one and try. Saw a X1C today at the flea market where they sell Thinkpads but it had the touch bar bs, I'd totally buy one if you could replace them.

I FOUND A THINKPAD A20M IN A DUMPSTER.
HOLY SHIT.

Ill try it I think and document on here, will probably be a few weeks though. I'm also currently looking into infos on free (m)pcie ports in this model, to see if I can possibly hook up an external gpu

Godspeed user

lmfao

Never bothered me / never thought of removing of them.

Is the L380/L480 any good?

What's the least expensive way to install windows on my thinkpad?

Buy one with the COA embedded into the BIOS.

how do i find out if I have that? I already bought the computer there's no coa sticker but the bios is unlocked.

Any of the models that shipped with Windows 8 or newer I think.

nvm in the bios it says:

Preinstalled OS License - Win8 Pro DPK TPG

I guess I'm good as long as I use a win8 pro iso?

Or you can install W10.

Why do you guys buy thinkpads, you spend your own money on something you use for work? Why don't you just get your company to pay for it and then spend your own money on a multimedia or gaming laptop so you can have fun when you're not working