/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Attached: Dp3mDkZVAAAZ547.jpg (700x507, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1053250982790889481
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/ads
youtu.be/gqraQJTonsg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1053250982790889481

Attached: 1.png (544x416, 49K)

Feeling like a real asshole after annihilating the glass on my LG Nexus 5X a few moments ago.

I'd already had to send it to Texas a few months ago to get fixed after it started boot looping. (it didn't cost me anything, but it took them 2 weeks to get it back to me.)

I know it's a cheaper phone, but it's done well by me for the time I've had it (about 2 years).

Do i go to a place and get it fixed (no idea on price), do i just buy a new 5X (about $100), or do I upgrade to something nicer?

I'm using google Fi in the US.

I can probably write it off as a business expense on this years taxes, but I'm a little gun-shy on spending up to $800.

You can buy something nicer / used and nicer and not spend a fortune. Don't repeat buy bootloop-prone devices.

any opinions on the galaxy J6?
loved the design and screen

Attached: -galaxy-j6-mobile-phones-price-in-sri-lanka_1790_jpg.jpg (1003x1280, 45K)

>galaxy J6
>search
>first results are amazon.in

pass

>loved the design
the design of what? the fucking render? it's a shitty phone.

Who would've thought that in the current year Samsung would be the only ones still trying to innovate

Half the technology in that slide not only exists already but exists as phones you can buy.

Good job Samsung!

remember when OnePlus mocked the lack of audio jack, and then the 6t came out? keep that in mind with samsung

>Meizu 16th just went

Attached: 1502333426732.gif (256x256, 361K)

Cool

Thank you based Samsung!

Apple has AirPods to sell but what are the other benefits of removing the jack? How much extra battery can you gain?

Like what would Samsung gain other than annoying (even a minority) of users by removing the jack?

>samsung

Attached: 999.jpg (305x315, 19K)

Attached: 1507597647865.jpg (1078x862, 260K)

>720p 5.6"
>2018.
Don't do this.

>search chinkphone review
>all recommended videos are from pajeets
Why

This pisses me off when researching anything OnePlus related. Same shitskins every fucking time

>rear fingerprint reader
fucking DROPPED

Attached: android-authority-xiaomi-mi-mix-3-photo-leak-2.jpg (840x630, 76K)

because only pajeets buy chinkphones

>brand releases premium or ultra or pro version of cell phone
>use the same battery size as regular version and take away the headphone jack
I feel like phone brands are more out of touch than average business entities

What do you mean by "DROPPED" ?
It is clearly there, you should visit your optometrist or clean your screen.

Attached: mix3.png (840x630, 341K)

Save like $0.10 on each unit. The negative press isn't worth it and they know it, which is why they're doubling down on keeping it

Attached: c39.jpg (352x450, 37K)

I think that they've realised that they can just do what apple has been doing and not lose a large chunk of customers because 1) most other brands are doing the same and 2) people will always want the newest phone even if it takes away basic functionalities for slightly better SoC

Why not get the original pixel? It's an upgrade, doesn't bootloop, still bloat free googlel android and shouldn't be much more expensive

do yall think now is a good time to invest in Samsung stock because of the casuals who will say "just give me the newest phone with a headphone jack"

samsung is dead bro

if I get a dual sim phone, I don't actually need to go and get a second sim card from ATT right?

no

Is there anything decent on the horizon for devices with removable batteries? I have a V20 and I can comfortably stay on it for another year or two but I refuse to buy a device with a non-removable.

maybe

i just need a new phone with working NFC, USB-C, dual sim support, headphone jack, OTG support and decent battery life for less than 300$. no bullshit like notch, rounded screen, camera or muh games. is this too much to ask for?

No.

Doesnt seem to be, the latest phones with removable batteries are the low end samsung devices

galaxy a7 2017 or xperia xa2

How is the Nokia 6.1 Plus? I already did my research on the midrange, budget phones to potentially replace my old G3 Stylus and settled on that because its much more powerful in everything than my old phone, has little to no bloatware and is an Android One phone compared to the chinese phones like Huawei Honor 9 Lite or Xiaomi Mi A2 etc that i hear has quite some bloatware. I just wonder if there is anything I might be missing

As for what am I looking for, I am really just looking for the best possible bang for buck(of around $200-$250 range) since any phone would be a huge upgrade from my LG G3 Stylus

>best possible bang for buck
Redmi Note 5

If you are in the US, Nokia midrange phones are your best bet. You can thank you carriers and their special network bands for that. The Mi A2 will also receive custom ROMs, meaning you can debloat it even further. There isn't a reason for it to exist when the Redmi Note 5 exists.

Wait, it doesnt seem that Redmi Note 5 is an Android One phone though

does xz1 compact and iphone se really have the same screen size? they both say 4.6 but xz1 looks a tad bigger or at least wider

he drops the hype because it was supposed to have a fingerprint scanner under de screen

It isn't, but it has a good number of custom ROMs available. Android One isn't anything special in any way. Just two years of promised updates - nothing out of the ordinary and definitely not something that fights fragmentation.

???

SE is 4.0"

Alri lads I've got an S5 I've been milking for ages because it's perfect and doesn't have anything wrong with it. When it eventually shits the bed in like a year what phone should I replace it with? I was looking at the Nokia 7 plus but the screen is stupid big. Price is midrange less than £500

I have got a Lumia 520 since 6 years ago, and now it is kicking the bucket. I need to replace it ASAP with another cheap smartphone.
I'm not looking for anything fancy or special just a newer smartphone, under 100$ and with a version of Android that will be supported for a couple of years.
I live in Italy BTW.

>what should i buy in a year
how the fuck would we know? Ask in a year

Whats the deal with midrange phones particularly nokia?

I dont think they even beat a Nexus 5x in terms of camera quality and you can get a brand new sealed pixel 1 fairly cheaply these days where the 821 in still much better than the 660 or 636, also the nokias have emmc storage and really average cameras.

Is the appeal that you are getting less bezel and supposedly guaranteed updates for the next 2 years?

With the Nokia 7.1 coming out with 3gb/32gb option its really making me draw comparisons to the nexus 5x of 3 years ago. I really dont think you are getting anything better or more after all this time.

Redmi 6A

seriously, what an absurd question

Seems good.
>5,45'' vs 4" of the Lumia
How uncomfortable will it feel at the beginning?

The snapdragon 600 processors are more efficient tho. And yes the clean android with updates is cool. Also pretty decently sized batteries in midrange phones generally (which paired with those less powerful cpus last quite long)

It will be quite awkward for a day or two, but you'll get used to it eventually.

t. jumped from iphone 5s (4") to redmi note 4x (5")

Depends on the person. Most people will adjust to that size of a phone fine. There's also the Redmi 5A that's 5.0"

Thanks.
>There's also the Redmi 5A that's 5.0"
It costs more than the 6A on amazon.

Last question, I have been out of the loop for: what is currently the website with the best prices for Chinese phones?

Kimovil.com

Lumia user here.
I have read that Redmi 6A has a version of Android with ads. Any way to put a stock android on the phone on be done with stuff like that?

Afaik, no ads are displayed if you're using global MIUI with the region set to an European country. And even if you do, they're easily disabled:
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/ads

Redmi 5A has stock Android-based custom ROMs, but nothing yet available for the 6A.

*even if you do get ads

Thanks for the information.

>Redmi 5A has stock Android-based custom ROMs, but nothing yet available for the 6A.
Is the MIUI community very active on these ROMs? Because if they are coming, sooner or later, the 6A might be a better investment for me.

6A has a Mediatek SoC, which generally get less development than Qualcomm SoCs (which is what the 5A has).

Just got a Mi A1, what am I in for?

Why would you buy last year's model instead of Mi A2 / A2 Lite?

They are overpriced in my country and I prefer having the SD slot, headphone jack and no notch.

Redmi Note 5 has all that.

is there any good chart available for current mid-range CPUs?

youtu.be/gqraQJTonsg

what are some common problems about the XIAOMI MI A2?

Chinkshit

What's so bad about chinkshit?

Spyware

There's spyware in every phone, is there more spyware on chinkphones?

Yes

any other good reasons why I shouldn't buy chinkshit?

Does it have the same problem with US bands that the pocophone does?

You belong in a trashcan.

No headphone jack, no expandable storage, only 3000mah battery, throttling.

Any cheap smartphones that can run shit like Azur Lane and Fate/GO without issues? Used phones are fine too I guess.
I tried looking into Xiaomi phones but their naming scheme is killing me with seemingly same models having different GPU/CPU in different countries.

there we go, thanks!
no headphone jack isn't an issue for me but the throttling sounds awful

Redmi Note 5 (global version with SD636)

Good morning Jow Forums
>Canada

I'm looking for a cheap but reliable budget smartphone for my parents. They're currently using a BLU Phone which is absolutely abysmal.

What options do I have these days?
Any help is appreciated

pretty sure any of them (2018 ones)can run easily

>cheap
how cheap? what carrier they on?

I'm a poorfag and the most I can spend on a phone is $250-$300, is the redmi 5 pro(?) the best choice for me? I'm looking for
>decent camera
>earphone jack
That's all. I'll use it for music and pictures of anything that looks interesting but not food.

>>cheap
>how cheap? what carrier they on?
I'd say no more than $300.00 Canadian

They're on Chatr

depends on what country and carrier you're on

>country
Australia but the 250-300 is in us dollars

I see Note 5 AI Dual Camera and Note 5 Pro
Is Pro the Global one? Both are SDM636.
Assuming I can choose one of the two, which one would be better?
Don't know about AzurLane but FGO seems to have shitty optimization...

What are some good resources for phone camera comparisons, other than the gsmarena tool?
inb4 dxomark, lol

Mi A2 Lite or Nokia 6.1, both are around 300CAD off Amazon.ca

Pro is the Indian version. Note 5 AI is the global version, but most stores just call it "Redmi Note 5". You want the global version, it has most frequencies available.

Pocophone, it's a few dollars above $300.

Are the horrible image retention / stuck pixel issues prevalent on the Note 5 or are they an isolated case? I've seen quite a few threads about them on xda but it looks mostly from pajeets. Any Note 5 owners with the same experience here? I got chink'd with a Note 4X with horrible image retention, and if the Note 5 still has that, I'll have to look into different brands other than xiaomi.

It was a difference of about 50 extra dollars but I felt that I wouldn't need the extra battery since I don't go out that often.

hmm, Probably Redmi Note 5 Global
other than that I'd see if the Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite works on your network

>Pocophone, it's a few dollars above $300
>Probably Redmi Note 5 Global

Thanks anons I'll look into that.

haven't heard anything about that regarding the RN5, also consider the Mi Mix 2

I've read it's because of the tianma panel which the N4X share. Can any Note 5 owners here confirm?

>Pro is the Indian version. Note 5 AI is the global version, but most stores just call it "Redmi Note 5". You want the global version, it has most frequencies available.
I'll look into it, thanks. Any more similar devices you can recommend or Note 5 is the best option in this price/quality range?

Hey guys I wanna get a new phone but idk
Mate 20 Pro or Note 9
Should I wait?

Attached: mate.jpg (800x800, 200K)

Thanks mate. Enjoy your weekend

Pocophone is around $300, and has a SD845 which is a massive upgrade over the 636 performance wise.