/talosii/

Tell me user, why haven't you switched to a fully libre platform like the Talos II?

Attached: boardlarge.png (2027x1524, 2.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Project_Ortega
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I can't afford it

>starting at $5,000
>CPU and RAM extra

no

/thread

>his freedumbs aren’t worth 5k

Fucking plebs

Just as soon as I sell my car

Gonna wait for the Blackbird. Sure, you can only stick 128GB of RAM in it and it only supports 1 CPU, but it's also smaller and cheaper, while keeping the Freedom of the Talos boards.

The blackbird (pic related) is a single-socket micro-ATX version coming soon that will be much more affordable.
Not to mention the developer system that comes with RAM and an NVMe SSD is only $2,149.

Attached: 10adc87317c0242a1644ec0d0c490696b94cac70.jpg (3090x2757, 811K)

>all that horsepower
>still has a serial port

B A S E D

Why can't they use a normal mount for the heatsinks?
Is 'freedom' having completely proprietary heatsinks and mounting mechanisms?

I still can't afford it.

Most motherboards still have rs232?
Even my meme gaming x370 board has an rs232 header. (since like every ITE superio chip has rs232 still)

Every CPU vendor has their own heatsink mechanism. Should we all just copy Intel?
Also, the mechanical specifications for the heatsink mechanism are freely available.

It's for terminal access without having to hook up a monitor and a keyboard.

$110 EA Heatsinks too.
More expensive than a D15 for less than a third of the heatsink.

>Should we all just copy Intel?
Yes.
>Also, the mechanical specifications for the heatsink mechanism are freely available.
Reinventing the wheel to some weird proprietary thing no one else in their right mind will ever use an then saying 'bbbut it's open standard!!!' is as disingenuous as you can get.
Use existing standards.

Beside being freetarded what does this have that a 1950x TR doesn't?

One vendor's proprietary mechanism is hardly an "existing standard".
Also, the POWER9 heatsink is unique in that it doubles as a retention mechanism for the CPU. A cool side effect of it being so high-pressure is that you don't even need thermal paste for mid-range TDP parts.

More threads (depending on configuration), cleaner ISA, more secure firmware stack, more user control.
How does it feel knowing that hollywood colludes with AMD and Intel to cuck you out of getting code execution on your own machine?

>>Should we all just copy Intel?
>Yes.
>>Also, the mechanical specifications for the heatsink mechanism are freely available.
>Reinventing the wheel to some weird proprietary thing no one else in their right mind will ever use an then saying 'bbbut it's open standard!!!' is as disingenuous as you can get.
>Use existing standards.

This. Several AMD Dell/HP motherboards actually use the Intel Socket H mounting holes.

This one can use the Socket R/Socket P mounting holes

No sane heatsink manufacturer will create mounting mechanisms for the Talos

>How does it feel knowing that hollywood colludes with AMD and Intel to cuck you out of getting code execution on your own machine?
Not like you can run the restricted code on your Talos machine anyway

In a nutshell no difference

It's not unique to the Talos, it's IBM's own mechanism for their POWER CPUs.
Also, you do realize that they already sell 2U and 3U heatsinks that are more than enough to cool the CPU.
It's not like Intel where you need a custom loop with an air chiller to avoid a housefire.

No PS/2 port? What a shame.

>>starting at $5,000
Did you try scrolling down? The base model pre-built costs around $2200 for a quad core CPU, 8GB RAM, and a 128GB SSD. That along with a simple VGA monitor, mouse and keyboard that costs $10 at Goodwill and a free Debian installation is all it takes to get the Jow Forumsentooman up and shitposting.

Well that sounds like a (You) problem, doesn't it? Try saving up for it.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.25.35 AM.png (581x178, 52K)

>Not like you can run the restricted code on your Talos machine anyway
What is this supposed to mean? On modern x86, there are certain execution contexts that you have 0 control over (ME, PSP, etc.).
On OpenPOWER systems like the Talos this is simply not true. You are free to audit and modify all code that runs on all parts of the CPU.

PS/2 is largely a legacy standard tied to the x86 ecosystem. I'm using a PS/2 Model M on my Talos via a simple arduino USB adapter with no problems.

More than enough to cool it whilst sounding like a jet engine on spool up.
This is the wrong place to shill your product if you think we're going to put up with anything more than 38dB-a

Supports 0% of software I use and is heavily heavily overpriced.
>b b but freedom
Buy a gun instead you virgins

>On modern x86, there are certain execution contexts that you have 0 control over (ME, PSP, etc.).
>He doesn't 'audit' Intel ME and set the HAP bit with ME_Cleaner

>muh noise
>muh stock cooler
Let me guess, you only use custom loops with RGB pumps?

No, a D15 is enough.
Big, quiet.
But due to weird custom IBM proprietary parts, you can't use a standard heatsink.

Talos and Raptor are both hamstrung by the use of IBM's government-pricing parts (since only Government buys typically POWER, IBM can put whatever price they want on parts)

Why is there a giant glob of hot glue on the motherboard?

>implying that setting a boolean in a configuration file is the same as having full code execution and firmware source
HAP+me_cleaner still leaves critical parts of the ME firmware in tact and running. That's why vulnerabilities like pic related still work.

Attached: lol_intel.png (792x301, 32K)

This was a prototype board that Raptor showed off at the OpenPower Summit Europe.
The finished board wont hit the market until late 2018/early 2019.

It's nice to have the port there just for compatibility since so many keyboard use it. I have PS/2 keyboards which I still use daily. I guess I'll have to order an adapter when my Talos II gets here.

>>He doesn't 'audit' Intel ME and set the HAP bit with ME_Cleaner
What did he mean by this? The IME firmware isn't open source and you can't audit it. The HAP bit is also mostly worthless. The best you can do is strip out the firmware, install Coreboot, and pray to god that the IME's EEPROM region is truly read-only at the OS level.

>Buy a gun instead you virgins
You only need one or two good firearms. I have a friend like that who has a whole bunch of Glocks and ARs and other useless shit he hordes in his basement. Buy one handgun and one rifle and learn how to use them.

Hopefully they(you) fix the heatsink mounts by then.
Because otherwisethat'll really end up being a pinch point for a single seat part being marketed towards an audience here.

Why would they change? Literally nobody other than you has complained about them, otherwise IBM would have changed them already.

>useless shit
You don't understand the 2A

>everyone is american

NSA doesn't care if they pay .000001% more on whatever supercomputer they're building this week.
A single buyer on Jow Forums will.

I'm pro-second amendment. I just think you're stupid for coming on Jow Forums and telling everyone to buy more firearms. The people who want them already have them. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to stack your garage floor to ceiling with guns you'll never shoot but if you do I'm gonna laugh at you for it.

>mostly worthless.
It destroys ME functioality. Security isn't even an issue, 0,0001% chance of catching malware.

First the problem is that it's too loud.
Then it's that you can't use your gaymer ricer third-party intlel cooler.
And now it's price? Raptor already subsidizes the cooler price on some of their bundles. I don't think anybody buying one of these machines other than (You) will give a single damn about the cooler.

But this isn't a gayman super overclocking CPU, the stock cooler is more than enough.
>it destroys me functionality
It doesn't. It's propietary so you never really know.

>0,0001% chance of catching malware
>does literally nothing to mitigate multiple ME CVEs
really makes you think

Attached: lol_intel2.png (810x319, 42K)

is there a fully libre SBC?

I haven't had a system with an RS232 built in since the Slot A Athlon days.

>It destroys ME functioality
No, not really. The HAP bit shuts off the IME after it finishes its low level hardware init tasks and does handoff to the BIOS to continue the boot sequence. How do you know that the IME stays shut off, and that it can't be reactivated somehow? Stripping the firmware is the only sure way.

>It's propietary so you never really know.
This, basically. You only know it's disabled when you wipe out the proprietary firmware that it needs to function.

First it was too expensive and less than a third of the heatsink of a D15 for more money Then you asked why it had to be big, to which I explained loudness is a problem for a desktop workstation.

In any case, you seem to be targeting your workstation product at government agencies only, so this probably isn't the best place to try and sell it.

*yawn*
Stop being so paranoid, it's good enough.
I guess some people really wanna get on a list or two purchasing a talos computer instead of smoothly mixing in.

You're already on several lists for visiting Jow Forums and running Linux.

I mainly visit reddit (social guy, got gold) and run windows server 2012

Good goy, Intel's security is top notch.
Anybody who disagrees is paranoid and anti-semitic.

Attached: intelaviv.jpg (1846x1923, 607K)

>redditor
>windows user
>justifies ME
checks out

Because overpriced shit. Nobody buy it, 2k euro too expensive.

>Intel's security is top notch.
>Anybody who disagrees is paranoid
This but unironically. Get checked for schizophrenia or find another hobby. How come nobody else complains of ME

3 shekels have been deposited into your account.

There have been multiple security vulnerabilities found in the IME, at least one of which targets the AMT modules and allows an attacker to silently send packets around your LAN without the host computers knowing it.

Attached: 1539125651130.jpg (570x856, 66K)

Funny how all of this pops up in controlled laboratoric scenarios and not in the wild aka this shit never happens

Nice cope post, jew. Your shitty chipsets are swiss cheese.

Attached: 1539215028917.png (1144x888, 337K)

I'd buy one if it runs crysis. Can it run crysis ?

>designed in USA
Made in ?

Can you go back to /v/?

A South Asian slave labor camp shithole.

USA. CPU's fabbed in NY, systems manufactured in Illinois.

Impressive.

You are retarded, ME can't be disabled.
me_cleaner - fake

>Can you go back to /v/?
As if /v/ wasn't the other side of the same coin as Jow Forums since 2010.

>other /v/ street shitters infested Jow Forums so that means I'm welcome here
No. Fuck off.

>forgets overclocking is part of Jow Forums culture
>overclocking screws around benchmarks made by scene groups and game companies
>make shit buying threads spamming Jow Forums instead
Make me.

I guess 5 grand isn’t too bad for pedos to enjoy their sick fetish

>overclocking is part of Jow Forums culture
No it isn't. I like my machines nice and cool, and all of them are powerful enough to compile Linux in a few minutes. Overclocking is /v/toddler shit.

>anyone who wants privacy is a pedo
Hello CIA nigger.

>I like my machines nice and cool
Sounds alot like fag.
>Overclocking is /v/toddler shit.
This is the state of Jow Forums today. I am proud to see Jow Forums fell for you.

>Sounds alot like fag.
>This is the state of Jow Forums today. I am proud to see Jow Forums fell for you.
Do you have a virus?

Attached: 1536895596057.png (324x362, 45K)

waiting for blackbird

why have an HDMI port? Add a fucking DVI instead. no fucking excuse not to. fully libre platform and they use a royalty requiring fucking hdmi connector. WHY WHY THE FUCK

What do the connector royalties have to do with the openness of the platform? The HDMI software stack is still implemented with libre software.
Not to mention HDMI is probably the most common digital display connector.

DVI-D is gamer shit
HDMI is perfectly good enough for the use of this machine.

kek what?

The fact is this is touted as a free platform when it uses a non-free display connector, when a superior in everyway connectors already exists.
Also curious why they went with a gigabit ethernet controller that requires non-free firmware, unless there is literally not a single gigabit controller with free firmware in existence

Theyre rewarding and supporting non-free standards, when they should be supporting royalty free standards

theres no excuse not to use DVI. people with DVI monitors can have a fully free system if they did. Now people with DVI monitors needs an adapter, their system will alwayds have that non-free bit, and some DVI monitors may not even work

>Theyre rewarding and supporting non-free standards, when they should be supporting royalty free standards
Get the fuck out of here, commie. People deserve to be paid for the shit they make and the royalties are like 5 cents a connector. That's perfectly reasonable compared to Apple jews who charge $4 a connector for lightning shit.

I think you're conflating free-as-in-beer and free-as-in-freedom. There is nothing in the subset of the HDMI standard implemented by the Blackbird that is not free-as-in-freedom. The fact that manufacturers have to pay a miniscule royalty fee is meaningless to the consumer.
As for the gigabit, there are active efforts to reverse engineer its firmware. Last I checked it was mostly complete.

>muh open computer
>erhernet has non free firmware
lmao is this a joke

> why haven't you switched to a fully libre platform like the Talos II?
It's not Libre at all it turns out.
Let alone 'fully'

>We'll choose a completely locked down proprietary device and maybe sometime if the future it'll have some semi-foss firmware.
nice 'libre' hardware there.
I guess you've taken a lot of libertas with the word libre.

>People deserve to be paid for the shit they make
DVI came out 2 years before hdmi, is royalty free, and just plain better

if the hdmi faggets wanna make money, then they can manufacture the fucking connectors and sell them. what are you, stupid?

Today marketing very cool.
MUH "LIBRE OPENSOURCE SHIT" and make it overpriced. BUY IT BUY IT NOW PLEASE.

x86 10k EUROS

i cant believe this shit for zoomers.

Attached: 475d88325e3088dad1e2034bc463aeb1c002872f504c1ab217e7e4f09c94d31f.jpg (221x250, 5K)

Is this bait? The Broadcom PHY was specifically chosen because it is known to have unsigned firmware which could be reversed and replaced.
The reverse engineering efforts are documented here: wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Project_Ortega

>"tings gost moniez dis iz an affront to my freedumbz"
The official stance of the FSF is that you are allowed to charge money for shit. Sorry commies, but you're allowed to sell GPLv3 software. RedHat is doing it right now. Stallman himself has said it's okay to sell free software. Get a job, niggers.

Attached: stallman.jpg (241x209, 7K)

>I think you're conflating free-as-in-beer and free-as-in-freedom.
not at all.
If I want to manufacture and sell a device with DVI, I am free to do so.
If I want to manufacture and sell a device with HDMI, I am not free to do so, without paying someone off. The price is a lot more than you say it is. In addition of per connector royalties, you also have to pay a large yearly subscription, not to mention all the beaurocratic bullshit that goes along with all this

hdmi is just plain not libre. and there is a connector that exists that is, and instead of rewarding them, you shun them and whore yourself to the hdmi consortium

as for the ethernet, are there any gigabit ethernet controllers with free firmware already in existence? if the answer is yes, do any of them have free firmware provided by the manufacture? if the answer is yes, particularly to the 2nd question, then that is what should be used

I bet you also complain about people paying for music, movies, parking spaces, and a myriad of other things.

Attached: gommunism.jpg (759x530, 49K)

Do I give a fuck what the FSF says? The FSF also says retarded shit like closed-source non-free firmware is ok if its on a ROM on the hardware, but if its loadable from a hard-drive THEN THATS BAD. get real, its bad either way

Also, the FSF has nothing to do with libre hardware, how dense are you?

>If I want to manufacture...
You're not the one manufacturing these machines, so what does it matter?
The reality is that your hate boner for HDMI is founded on points that are 100% irrelevant to consumers.
>are there any gigabit ethernet controllers with free firmware already in existence?
I don't think there are any gigabit ethernet controllers with NCSI support that have libre firmware provided by the manufacturer. The Broadcom model chosen was likely the best choice they had.
You're still welcome to use your own ethernet card.

>libre computer
>lets just use a non-libre display connector instead of the superior in every way one that also happens to be royalty free
seems legit

>The FSF also says retarded shit like closed-source non-free firmware is ok if its on a ROM on the hardware
No they don't you lying nigger. Otherwise they wouldn't endorse and promote Libreboot, dumbfuck.

>the FSF has nothing to do with libre hardware, how dense are you?
Because libre hardware is a meme and won't happen. I bet you're that same RISC-V tard whose asshole I blew out in the last thread who doesn't know the difference between an open ISA and implementation of it.

The point of the free software movement is to make sure that consumers fully own their hardware. HDMI connector royalties don't prevent you from fully owning your hardware, faggot.

>100% irrelevant to consumers.
You've spent this thread denying that anything consumers want is good and that everything should be IBM government-contract expensive.

Is it a consumer machine or a government machine?

I'll concede the ethernet controller choice then

libre computers in general are 100% irrelevant to consumers. These machines are much more likely to be used with computer monitors with DVI. I cant comprehend how you think a libre computer designed for security and open-ness somehow is more suited for a connector used on devices people use to watch Taco Bell ads and football

>The point of the free software movement
has nothing to do with this thread

You pay many times more in sales tax for the device that includes an HDMI port than you do for the HDMI port royalties, dumbfuck.

Nice goal post shift, fag. This thread is about a workstation that can run with 100% free software, so you're wrong.

oh look it's the heatsink autist.
When it comes to display connectors, consumers don't care how many cents in royalty fees the manufacturer had to pay, they just care about compatibility with their existing equipment.
The fact of the matter is that from a consumer standpoint, HDMI is just as libre as DP when driven by a fully open firmware stack.

Taxes provide society.
Paying the HDMI tax provides nothing.
They didn't develop anything, it's a royalty tax on a trapezoid that uses the same link protocol as DVI.

I can't wait this to move zero units.
It's clear already you're hurting for cash - that's why you're advertising on Jow Forums.

Either fix the machine to something Jow Forums would actually be interested in buying, or just shill it elsewhere.

If it were fixed to Jow Forums's liking, it would become a game console