Crystal programming language

Have you used it, or heard of it? And if so, what do you think of it or it's future?

Some quick intro, in case you don't know about it:
It's a fairly new programming language, released around 2014, and initially developed by an Argentinian tech company (still in active development by them, but now with contributors from outside).
It's object oriented and compiled, with syntax heavily inspired by Ruby's. It\s statically typed although the compiler can infer types in many contexts so you don't have to write types all over the place (think Go, but more inference such as in method return values).
The main intent of the language is to be pleasant to write but also very fast.

It's immature right now, and it's not even 1.0 yet. However, even though it's not labeled as production ready yet, multiple companies and individuals are using it for production with good results.

I really like the language and I (and many others in the community) think it has great potential.
I'd highly recommend taking a look into it if you are interested in learning a new language.

Attached: crystal-programming-language_643889_full.png.jpg (859x196, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/issues/140).
github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/issues/265.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know it but it's shilled here a lot.

>Object oriented
Trash

>Some quick intro, in case you don't know about it
What about its pro and cons in respect of some other modern programming languages? For what kind of applications is aimed for and what programming language wants to replace?

Looks like a discount version of Python.

It's pretty cozy. i use it for some projects on my LAN where i would have previously used ruby.

It's really good, it's just lacking support.

Pros: fast as fuck
Cons: no one uses it

Pros: It's ruby but compiled
Cons: there are some differences between it and ruby obviously, and those differences are not super well documented.

Why do companies even make their own programming languages?
I get it that Google and Apple does it, but unless you are that big what's the real benefit? It takes years before the language can truly be used in a safe production environment and there are already several other languages that does the job you need to do.

It's mostly lowercase, no camelShitCase, a manageable amount of PascalCase.
> object oriented
Dropped.
Sorry op, OOP is not acceptable in 2018.

I love it and use it in company projects and for small tasks that are at hand in private. All the muh too dumb for oop autists can neck themselfes for all i care, its comfy as fuck

Ah, a programming language for the white man, finally.

>Have you used it, or heard of it?
Wrote a small hobby project in it.
>And if so, what do you think of it or it's future?
Provided they finish a good implementation:
As a strategy to make Ruby fast it's a better alternative to JIT compilers and in many use cases than bindings. That being said, if you don't plan a Ruby migration or have a Ruby background it is only slightly more appealing than Java or C#.
As example flow based type inference might seem cool at first, but like many implicit things gets annoying quick in non-trivial scenarios.

Also, their indentation convention is the same 2 shitty spaces of Ruby.

I have been getting tried of pythons slow speed, so I looked at crystal and nim. Ended up choosing nim. Crystal looks meh.

What is a motivation to even try it, what kind of features or experience could it deliver that is unseed in mature production-ready languages?
Even if you want ruby-tier bs why not use nim? Even it looks more promising.

If you want dynamic type bs - JS or PHP is your friend, it is not that bad currently unlike the memes will tell you. Better than some obscure pre-beta trash.

I see no point using this garbage, not that I think it should be removed or abandoned, but atm it is pointless and a big waste of time

Isn't nim more of a cross between python and pascal? The only ruby related nim-thing i can come up with is the 2-space indentation.

pros: ruby but compiled
cons: linux only (yes that's a con, can't deploy your programs on any other platform)

t. boomer

>Even it looks more promising.
>still compiles to C and C++
pick one and only one

I'm sorry user but your post doesn't convey anything useful. Try reformulating your post if you have something to add to the discussion at hand.

sure thing
Crystal uses an LLVM backend, which - while not perfect - is the right thing to do atm.
Whereas Nim still compiles to C++, which is basically the hello world of compiler builders.

>whitespaced
trash

>fast as C, Slick as Ruby
>Crystal libraries are packed as Shards, and distributed via Git without needing a centralised repository.

Attached: 1407919909934.jpg (471x694, 56K)

No? It has no significant indentation.

>C++
C

>compiles to C++
Compiles to C which makes it far more portable as GCC supports more architectures and a C compiler is on most Unix machines.

Stop the meme language bullshit and just write in Zig. Daily reminder that Zig is the white man's language, completely free of pajeets.

Crystal doesn't compete with Zig. It competes with C#, Kotlin, Java, Nim, Go, D (in GC mode), OCaml, Haskell and, to a lesser extent, Clojure, Ruby and Python.

An argie lang, after all

>Have you used it, or heard of it?
I have used it. It's cool but I am not sure I like how the type system handles nil.
>And if so, what do you think of it or it's future?
With the right web framework and some adoption it just might be the next Ruby on Rails. It hope it gets lucky.

Having rewritten a small C# project in Crystal I think Crystal is significantly more compact and readable. Too bad the devs decided not to add namespaces (github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/issues/140).
>many implicit things gets annoying quick in non-trivial scenarios
Were they related to nil?

Sorry, I meant github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/issues/265.

How good is this crystal shit for game development?
Can i make an engine with it?

Attached: 1524710913147.png (427x630, 383K)

You can, but should you? For gamedev Crystal is like a slightly faster C# with poor Windows support. C# has a huge gamedev community. Crystal's community consists of backend devs jaded with Ruby and network service and misc infrastructural bullshit devs jaded with Go.

Well nope.
game development is the only thing I care about when I hear about a new language.
If you put it that way then I'll ignore crystal

dope, thanks

>syntax heavily inspired by Ruby's
ewww

At least it looks better than Nim.

It’s not mandatory user. But that is the way it should be cuck.

works fine for me on macOS

This looks like every "modern" programming language.
Like, if you want pre-release, "fast", yet abstract languages, what makes this better than nim? Or even Rust? Or if you want something that's fast, but still easy to use, Go?

>It takes years before the language can truly be used in a safe production environment
I made one like lua and deployed it in a few months, it's definitely better for my use case than the alternatives

maybe you want one that doesnt have awful C syntax

>awful
>C syntax

Choose one.

they should make a country like Israel for everyone who thinks C syntax is good and deport them all there

I always loved Ruby. Does Crystal's object model roughly work the same way?

C++ is patrician choice, you don't need anything else.

>what makes this better than nim?
a more coherent design
>Or even Rust?
speed of development.
>Or if you want something that's fast, but still easy to use, Go?
generics, an advanced type system, oo (might be a downside)

yes. it even has method_missing despite being compiled and statically typed.

Imagine cppsh as your only shell.