stallman.org/google.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Maybe next year they will finally make a phone with a good design

wtf, now I hate the pixel even more

I just don't understand why all 8 corners don't have the same edges

kek
12 corners if you add the software activatable notch

Who gives a shit about this minor stuff. How does that affect the functionality of the phone.

>I don't have a problem with the notch
Opinion discarded then. Any phone with a notch is automatically trash. Symmetrical corners wouldn't fix this. It's already horribly asymmetrical.

It's simple.

Fuck you.

>>i dont mind you're fucking my wife, i mind that you are called ahmed

Why is any phone with a notch trash?

see

>notch on the top
>bezel on the bottom
we're hitting meme levels that shouldn't be possible

Are you perhaps a proud owner of a notch phone?

Who cares. It's like looking for pinworms in a dookie. Regardless of what you find in there, it's still crap.

The notch in Apple devices isn't there because it's a superior design. It's there because nothing on the front of the devices tells you it's an expensive phone. They made a huge visible notch so people can show off that they spent $1500 on a phone. It all went sideways when chinks took that design too, now it's just an ugly phone with no perks.

People defend the notch by saying it's not taking space from the screen, but it is. The notification bar isn't always visible in other devices that use fullscreen apps, nor does it have to be. It's just unusable space that can't be used by anything else than battery and signal icons now. Others just move those out of the way if they need the screen space.

On top of all that Apple wasn't even the first one that invented the notch. They just influenced the rest of them to also make a notch, like a zombie plague. Now people who don't want a notch have less options. I had to buy a new phone and went with Samsung even though I didn't originally even want Samsung. If they fall for the notch meme too I don't have a backup plan yet.

Attached: 1505455742551.jpg (491x650, 50K)

Only a proper rectangle is a viable form for screens.

Are you perhaps a proud owner of a damaged brain?

Why are you so salty?

>glass brick
>ever good
There isn't exactly much potential for giving this kind of shit any kind of character.

but other devices where the notification bar disappears have bezels - so the 'screen real estate' that the notch takes up isn't a real think, it's just a psychological thing where because the notch is there you assume the screen would normally have filled in the area where it is. you should stop looking at the notched phones as taking away screen and realise all they've done is extend the screen up the side of the bezel, meaning you can display more information. whether or not you like the aesthetics is up to you, but that's all this really comes down to. anyone claiming that it has any functional value or problems is wrong, because it doesn't.

tl;dr the notch does not take away any screen because that is where the bezel comes in, it just adds extra little bits on each side.

How do they manage to make the Pixel phones so ugly every year? That notch is absolutely huge as well

Either way, I'm not getting a new phone before we get past this notch phase. It's a shame OP went this route too. It's ridiculous that Samsung of all brands has the most unique looking phone just by having a standard rectangle screen

Attached: oneplus-6-vs-oneplus-5t-1.jpg (1600x1200, 443K)

Attached: 40362450_1021215335777694.jpg (540x358, 31K)

That's not what radius means, you fucking retard.

Speaking of: why the fuck are the corners rounded.

I
Love
My
Pixel
XL

Stop the bullying

You can either think of normal bezels as cutting screen area everywhere or being extra body after screen ends. Since bezels aren't glowing light they are easily forgotten once the screen is on. Notch on the other hand is still visible, even more so after the screen is on. That's why it's much easier to think of it like the notch is the one cutting screen area, not adding it. Samsung still has bezels and they are practically nothing once you're holding the device. It looks much better.

So what does radius mean?

It's not fun to get a paper cuts from phone edges on a daily basis.

Friendly reminder that manufacturers won't make what customers want.

They make whatever they like and customers buy that shit because there's no other choices.

Simple as that.

It's the distance from the center of a circle. OP would have been better off saying "curvature" in his tweet that he screenshotted and reposted here.

Attached: 1539497660398.webm (640x330, 2.34M)

That's not an excuse for the bottom corners. They can be right angles without issue because of the bezel adding a buffer zone.

Wouldn't there be a market for phones that the consumers want then? Sounds like a million dollar idea to me. no steal!

>Corners
>Radius
Not how it works.

It was joke regarding how the phones are becomming thinner and thinner...

In that case it looks like the use of radius is correct in OP picture.

To me it doesn't look better at all. It looks like a bezel.
I don't mind the notch at all, in fact it makes a lot of sense as someone else described how the statusbar moves up. The Pixel 3 is a poor use of space though, they could fit 2 rows of icons up there..
Obviously I'd rather have no notch, but I'd also rather have a notch instead of a bezel.

Yes, but it's more profitable for the manufacturers make identical phones (huge screen with rounded corners and the notch) because making small batches of smaller phones would be more expensive. (See 16:10 screens vs. 16:9 screens).

And let's not forget 99% of consumers are mindless sheeps who buy whatever they are forced to buy. Some of them might actually like a smaller phone, but there's nothing they could do if they ever cared about the whole phone size affair.

Time to go to apple boys

>giant notch that is double height
>apps can't handle it
>if you hide notch using software it's giant bezel
>giant bottom chin
>reviewers got new phones with chips on the sides of the phone brand new
>forced gesture navigation

You might have misunderstood the words "want" and demand. Sadly a minority wants functionality out of their phones and the majority wants shiny status symbols.

>Jim Cuck

yeah that bottom notch just makes it look even sexier.

>It's just unusable space that can't be used by anything else than battery and signal icons now.
I don't see the problem. Perfect place to put persistent information that should be there at all times.

What the fuck is up with this asinine logic, anyway? The notch is there because there's A FUCKING FRONT FACING CAMERA THAT COULDN'T BE THERE WITHOUT THE NOTCH. IT'S A FUCKING OPTIMIZATION OF SCREEN REAL ESTATE WITHIN THE CONFINES OF TECHNOLOGY.
Seriously, is this the re-rise of troll logic?

It's not revolutionary, but it's certainly a good piece of engineering. The only thing lacking is software support. The OS should give the area to the sides of the notch black background, with white for information, instead of just semi-extending the screen.

Pixels were since the beginning, and still are ugly as fuck.

It still baffles me how the manufacturers manage to fuck up designing a fucking rectangle.

>Some of them might actually like a smaller phone, but there's nothing they could do if they ever cared about the whole phone size affair.
Can confirm, bought a Jelly Pro and it's a miserable experience because Android is simply not as open as shills love to claim.
I wish I could modify it like a Linux distro. Just get me some conky with an extension for adding touchable areas that link to scripts and I'll be good to go. I'll just make my own version of livetiles, just a lot more functional than what Microsoft did.
A more complex tool would be even better, but that alone would already elevated my Android experience into something that I could actually live with.

>Linux distro
Android is a Linux distro. But it is not a GNU/Linux distro. That's why you must learn to differentiate Linux from GNU/Linux, the freedom of Linux you like came from the GNU part.

Stallman is always right.

>that should be there at all times.
Why the FUCK should it be there at all times? What a retarded thing to say. No it doesn't have to be there at all times and with a screen area shaped like that, it's 100% unusable in any other task. This is not a step forward to anyone with a triple-digit IQ. People just mindlessly follow every new trend no matter how bad it is.

Also phones aren't tailored to my needs, I just have to pick one that's close enough. I don't need a front camera ever - even when I already have a girlfriend. If it was a choice between a notch and a missing front camera, I'd take the one without a notch. All my phones have had a front camera anyway even when I never asked for one. That's just the trend and I have pretty much no say in it. I don't want to see notch becoming any more popular so there's no choice without one. It looks horrible and stupid. What a great innovation that I can keep staring at the battery icon like a drooling idiot at all times. Let's all pretend that it's such a chore checking the battery status when you want to.

Not it isn't. The top curves are bigger than the lower curves, but the distances from the centerline are identical for all curves, including the notch's.

God I wish that everyone who has ever owned an Apple product would be killed off

Sorry, but the red line and the green line have not the same size.

Attached: radius.png (1206x384, 273K)

>Jow Forums - Geometrics

How the hell did Google go from top-tier design with the Nexus series to absolute laughable garbage with the Pixel line?
Their phones were lauded for their iconic, memorable and innovative designs, and then one year BAM, fucking Pixel.

Attached: confus cat.jpg (404x521, 179K)

I genuinely cannot decipher their design philosophy
It's not minimalism, it's not utilitarianism, it's not catered towards aesthetes or quite frankly any specific demographic. It's just an absolute mess.
That's why for me it's the samsung galaxy s9

Attached: samsung-galaxy-s9-and-s9-plus-front-back.jpg?itok=Xt2vZtpI.jpg (1600x1200, 350K)

They do.

Anything with the Pixel name is cursed.

>Chromebook Pixel
>total flop, poor reviews, nobody knew who it was for

>Chromebook Pixel 2 LS
>see previous

>Pixel
>wasted hype, fuckhuge bezels

>Pixelbook
>Chromebook Pixel but somehow worse

>Pixel 2, 2 XL
>both ugly AF, great cameras though
>also remember how we made fun of apple last year for removing the notch? lol it's gone now.

>pixel 3, 3 XL
>current shitshow unfolding

>Pixel Slate
>basically a laggy Surface running Chrome OS

that fingerprint sensor placement is retarded, though
such a typical chink thing to do, cram parts into a phone, but forget about ux

Their head of visual design at Google is a woman. Probably a progressivity hire like the Linux tranny and has no idea what she's doing.

It's official: Smartphones peaked in 2013.

werks for me and it's such an minor thing to worry about when the rest of the phone is perfect
the s9 and arguably the iphone x are the pinnacle of phone design as of now
yeah the design is the classic ' a camel is a horse designed by a committee'
I bet she just amalgamated all the designs given to her to please everyone and no one

That's not even trolling. What are you trying to achieve?

I really don't know. They also had the incredibly designed Motorola X series phones, with textured curved backs made from durable material that really helped the feel of the device in your hands, but now they're making disappointing iphone clones from the same fragile glass.
My new phone from LG is the first one I've owned that felt like a downgrade from my last one.
I miss my Moto X Pure.

Was the Pixel C the only exception, or was it just the same kind of shit?

Weren't you the one trolling just a post ago? How does it feel?

I completely forgot about Pixel C because it barely even existed in the first place.
Pixel C is just Pixel Slate but it's cumbersome and running Android.

>Project ARA is dead and you all killed it.

The original Pixel was awesome.
Aside from that, I agree with everything else.

>tl;dr the notch does not take away any screen because that is where the bezel comes in, it just adds extra little bits on each side.
That would be nice if it was actually true, but they aren't making the screens a bit wider with a notch and curvy corners, they are taking normal displays and notching them. So if you want to display 16:9 content or things that need the space they get squished, pillarboxed and letterboxed into the largest available rectangle. So phones with bezels have larger USABLE screen real estate by pixel count.

Poojeet detected.

Attached: image.jpg (1260x831, 856K)

>2013 googlified motorola will never come back
why must lenovo ruin everything they touch?

Remember, Google is an evil fascist regime and if you buy a Google Pixel, you support fascism.
stallman.org/google.html

>The original Pixel was awesome.
>
>those fuckhuge, empty bezels
>that so-so screen
>that ugly glass panel on the back that looked like plastic you could just peel off
>that wedge shape
>that tinny speaker that was literally painful to listen to
>few software features anyone actually cared about
yeah, real nice.

Attached: smug asian girl.jpg (580x435, 31K)

y'know, they would've been better off if they had just stuck with pixel 2-ish top bezels.
just make the top symmetrical to the bottom.

Are you pretending?

>he doesn't know what a corner radius is

kys

>software activatable notch
that's a joke, right?

Are you serious about saying the corners are not equidistant from the vertical and horizontal medians of the phone, respectively?

It's not what you think it is.

KGS yourself.

>2016
>google loses all sense of good design, basically tells Nexus users to go fuck themselves
>apple removes the headphone jack, sending the smartphone industry into a frenzy
>notch mania is just getting started
>samsung starts putting curves on e v e r y t h i n g
>what the fuck is LG even doing anymore
Fuck 2016, I thought we were friends.

Stop larping a retard please. That's not funny.

>2018
>still using my Note 2 with rooted custom ROM, that's maintained by some Indian rando dude

Attached: 1513578446303.jpg (392x373, 49K)

Nope. Google included a software bottom notch in the Settings.

Attached: bottom notch.jpg (3328x1699, 298K)

I've had a Note 4 for 3 years now, maybe I should finally install LineageOS
Godspeed brother

Turning the tables on you is comical, I say. I think this has at least been educational for yourself.

That's the moment I got really confused. What is your end goal? That's really mysterious.

Beautiful

don't be retarded, that's just a developer option for testing and not an actual feature

that's not true user, which is why 'normal' phone size is 5.5" sans notch and 5.85" with notch.

Just educating you. You aren't a smart person (not knowing what radius is). I think I peeved you a bit because I'm an arrogant person, so you tried to get smarty with me. I just jostled back a little.

So you're not trolling or pretending. You are.

>Why the FUCK should it be there at all times? What a retarded thing to say. No it doesn't have to be there at all times and with a screen area shaped like that, it's 100% unusable in any other task. This is not a step forward to anyone with a triple-digit IQ. People just mindlessly follow every new trend no matter how bad it is.
Because I like knowing the status of my phone at a glance, instead of requiring a sub-menu for it.

>Also phones aren't tailored to my needs, I just have to pick one that's close enough.
Same here. The modern phone market is simply sad.

Either way, Android is fucked and unfree.

You know what would be a good feature to add to the next Pixel Phone?

A 3.5mm headphone jack.

> Either way, I'm not getting a new phone before we get past this notch phase

When will manufacturers get past the removal of the headphone jack phase?

ye because you never swiped from the top to revealed notifications, this is dumb that place was used by gestures and now its filled with a dumb notch

This. The "gain" in screen real estate means jack shit when you can't even use it for anything more than like 6 icons, and its uselessness is especially apparent in android. It's not like the increase in display means anything anyway, considering how much of a space waster material design is with its horrendous content density.
Nothing needs to be said about full screen or landscape usage. The notch brings numerous drawbacks in practical usage, and in turn provides nothing but indirect branding and costs way more to design and produce.

Is 'bullying' the Jow Forums equivalent to 'hate'?

You're correct, but linux still provides a lot of freedom to the user by way of additional drivers for obscure devices, compatible linux software where you only have to compile for arm, or easily moddable using custom kernels, root scripts and a terminal emulator.
A lot of the innovation in android that stock android has adopted over the years came from the freedom that the linux kernel provides after rooting a device, as opposed to something like fuschia.

unironically diversity hires, samsung is korean so they never fell for the "hire shit people and get nothing" meme

>software features
The only software "features" the Pixel line ever had, and ever will, is that it has no distinct software features. The pixel is created for the average s.oyboy ""enthusiast"" that just must have the user experience as envisioned by google, and that they "just can't be bothered" with a custom ROM.