Linux is free if your time is worth

Attached: Windows_10_Update_180719_160744.jpg (1023x768, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m3q2c1kfvio
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>*blocks your path*

Attached: 1522132120635.png (686x636, 49K)

You have to enable it and then set it to not update. Disabling just makes it use default behaviour.

nope

Attached: 1522843200787.png (348x52, 3K)

Mac OS X doesn't have this problem

TempleOS doesn't have this

RedStar OS doesn't have

doesn't have this problem.

windows doesn't have this problem if you aren't a tech illiterate retard

install gentoo faggot

doesn't have CoC.

>*gets infected with WannaCry*

Never had that take more than a minute.

>2 to 5 minutes of the OS performing updates
compared to
>several hours a week to find traces of help for your issues because X broke again on your bleeding edge distro for the fourth time this week
tough choice

>downloading malware
if you unironically get a virus in 2018, you deserve it

>angry windows NPCs defend their shitware
lol

Attached: 90a.png (714x481, 149K)

>I use arch linux and i3 because I am a unique individual unlike those windows NPCs that get to use the latest drivers and AAA software
keep coping freetard

Attached: Untitled.png (2560x1440, 1.31M)

but you don't even know whats in those updates.
One time, an update installed a "Avast secure browser". Like wtf

so don't fucking download them, retard
you are in control of your computer, not the other way around

WannaCry used a remote code execution exploit named EternalBlue, which was kept secret and used by the NSA until the leaks. So your argument is invalid, because you'd be able to get infected by it doing nothing.

>everyone that disagrees with me is a [flavor of the month meme]
very mature way of arguing, faggot

that's weird man why didn't I get affected by it then?
oh, maybe because I'm not a fucking retard
use common sense kids

oh no, PC continues to update for 1 extra minute, when I was shutting it down for the day anyway.

This is honestly one of the worst aspects of Windows. Microsoft try to position it as a professional operating system, but it stops you from doing your work while it updates, and it aggressively forces these updates on you like you don't have anything more important to do.
>time to show my important company presentation in Microsoft® PowerPoint® on my Microsoft® Windows® laptop
>oh no, it decided to update for fifteen minutes instead
It's fucking bullshit.

Not a solution. Then your Windows just gets out-of-date. Unpatched vulns are worse than a non-functional computer in a work environment. The real problem is that Windows is so poorly designed that it can't update core operating system components while they're being used. macOS and Linux are better at this.

>Not a solution
yes it is.
you can choose which updates you want to install this way

Sometimes it does this while it's booting up, and you can't stop the install process while it's started, so if you have pending updates, it will do this on next boot. Also one minute is a joke. Try fifteen minutes or longer.

Yes but you can't deploy that policy on any real corporate network because everyone would just never install any updates and fill all the public network shares with malware. If Microsoft were competent, there'd be fewer updates that require a reboot, and the updates wouldn't take as long to install. No modern desktop operating system is as much of a pain to update as Windows.

>I use arch linux and i3
I use Linux Mint because it works. Microsoft NPCs will never know this feel
>very mature way of arguing, faggot
t. NPC

Attached: cn0jxepzvpli1anhtxa3.jpg (1200x675, 29K)

if it's an actual corporate network we're talking about and not your personal computer, set it to update at like 3AM or something, then

I leave my work computer on sleep mode overnight, so I don't have to waste time opening all my crap in the morning. I woudn't appreciate it if everything I had open randomly disappeared just because Windows decided to do an update that required a reboot. How about Microsoft just fix their fucking operating system.

you don't know how windows 10 reboot works do you?
it will have all of the same programs open exactly like you had them after a reboot

I use Windows 10 and that's not how it works. Maybe that would happen if they were all first-party Microsoft apps or UWP apps or something.

when I reboot it opens chromium to all the same tabs I had, VLC to the spot in my playlist I was in
not sure what you're doing wrong desu

i use Linux at home and W10 at work. What are you gonna do about it, meme spouting faggot?
>everyone i don't like is npc bwaaaah
you're an embarassment and should've been aborted

That's because Chromium and VLC have independent mechanisms to save and restore state. Not all programs have this, especially the antique oddball software you might find in a corporate environment.

>i use Linux at home and W10 at work. What are you gonna do about it, meme spouting faggot?
>>everyone i don't like is npc bwaaaah
>you're an embarassment and should've been aborted

Attached: 1536895596057.png (324x362, 45K)

Fucking windows 10 reeeeee

what a compelling argument you cum gargling mouthbreather, i can't possibly retaliate againt that
i'm done replying to you

That must have been changed. Last time I did a clean install, it was how that previous user said. Good to see they changed it, though.

I'm on 1809

reblocks your path
youtube.com/watch?v=m3q2c1kfvio

The solution is so simple it's painful. Just have an icon in the corner of the screen saying "Updating, please don't turn off your PC", then prompt for a reboot whenever it's done updating, with the possibility of postponing it for a manual reboot.
Just like kernel upgrades in Linux.

>click update and shut down at the end of the day
>literally no time wasted on my part
Wow

>he thinks Windows lets you own your computer
Hahahahaha

Updates are scheduled around active hours though. Generally my computer updates overnight and it's fresh and updated in the morning.

>I use Linux Mint
>calls others NPC

uh oh...

Attached: OP and his friends.jpg (971x546, 49K)

Why would you shut down your computer at all? You're supposed to lock it and let it go to sleep after it does all of its automated end of day clean up, genius.

>I don't know how to maintain a workstation yet I still think I have the qualifications for anything above fry cook

LOL!

Attached: 015.png (434x327, 37K)

I didnt get infected by it despite taking no precautions so maybe you just got lucky like me

but the npc meme actually applies quite well to windows users, although in the near future it might apply much better to mac users.

>tfw been using linux at school, home, and work for the last 2 years
>everything has worked perfectly all this time, saved me a lot of time that would be otherwise wasted on windows bullshit

could someone please explain me why this anecdote and other similar ones bother wintards so much?

Attached: 1494488614315.jpg (325x337, 71K)

>if you unironically get a virus in 2018, you deserve it
If you are talking about Linux, I agree.

If you are talking about Windows, then I disagree.
Installing software for Windows is a fucking nightmare, and even more so keeping it up to date.
Practically everyone downloads software via http from sources of varying degrees of trustworthiness, doesn't verify the download, then proceeds to give the installer root privileges, and hardly ever runs an update.
You can fix most of that, but the Windows eco-system is still a fucking joke. I'm surprised it hasn't imploded on itself, yet.

Sounds like you deserve it

Windows keeps on informing me for the last 3 weeks that I need to update and I just say snooze. How do people keep having problems with windows update? Is there any time in the week where you can just restart to install an update?

No. Haven't had a virus infection in ages.
Last one was an offline infection through a classmate's CD in middle school.
It's not like the time before the Internet became widely available was much safer.

>I have no problem with it but it still sucks because reasons

Do you even use windows anymore? Almost anything these days comes with an auto update mechanic and UAC has signed executables.

>mfw people are using the NPC meme in a wrong way
brainlets everywhere

Attached: I need windows and PS to get my JOB done you fucking GNU neets.png (949x185, 28K)

What the fuck is a "stop job" and why does it take 2 minutes?

that's what you get for using shitty, buggy proprietary drivers alongside systemd

user what was the last windows os you used, xp?
even the enterprise server versions don't give you full control anymore
microsoft basically given up on server market anyway because FOSS blows it the fuck out for sysadmin and security guys

that's some tasty irony to be sure

Attached: npc.jpg (872x602, 82K)

No, the update problems are hardware based.

Got mint in a VM. Can't remember the last time I started it up.

>will never know this feel
sorry pal but I know the feel of shit working, unlike in l*nux.

>shut down pc because travelling abroad
>have to cut electricity because it's a longer trip
>windows: sry senpai let me run these updates first
>flight leaving in 1 hour

>run pc 24/7
>sometimes forget to save work
>work gone in the morning

>>sometimes forget to save work
you fucked up there

It's easy to say that in hindsight. The update system is flawed in many cases.

>got hand-me-down mac for free
>dont have to worry about windows botnet or linux staff drama
i would but... nah.

Attached: 149888.jpg (225x225, 8K)

no, it's pretty easy to remember to save important work frequently

Convince me, a, essentially tech illiterate retard why I should use Linux over Windows. I basically want to use all the normie tier programs. stolen adobe, steam and gog shit, torrenting, and video playback would be essentials

It's not when you have a lot of software open at the same time. Some changes are supposed to be temporary and not saved so it's not like I can always be saving. Plus random restarts reset my workspace not to mention resetting long render jobs.

>muh render farm

lol. The update service only restarts outside of active hours and can be postponed so you can get your rendering done :)

>windows doesn't have this problem if you aren't a tech illiterate retard

Doesn't matter. Not everybody can have tons of experience with computers. Everyone has to start somewhere.
Imagine when you were a teenager and got your first computer. Were you instantly a tech genius? No, of course not. How could you be?

Use Ubuntu Winfaggot

Ubuntu is garbage though

I think Windows 7 is gorgeous. Best looking operating system ever.

W10 looks better now

Attached: 1539957100029.png (600x450, 56K)

Then use "ungarbaged Ubuntu", i.e. Mint.

Never saw that.

Attached: chrome_2018-10-21_10-03-02.png (1238x142, 26K)

I'm using Windows 10, and after reboot, my apps reopened too.

"Because people don't like obvious liars and shills" would be the frontrunner.

you need to stop being an NPC. you sound like you need some release.

>browse malware torrent sites
>browse most viruses affected sites
>open all ports in firewall
>only PUP protection
?????????

>Windows hide updates tool
¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

Attached: giphy[1].gif (176x216, 492K)

this is a meme, you cant get infected with wannacry over internet you retard

>this thread
after hard day of being a worthless neet, Jow Forums is always there to make me smile

Attached: C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg (800x450, 88K)

In two years of running Arch Linux the only problem I ever had was caused by a WINDOWS update shitting up grub.