/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1520547936173.jpg (3510x3287, 1.34M)

Other urls found in this thread:

xonsh.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Sleep_hooks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for arch

second for gentoo

Third for fuck sh.

divine fourth for templeOS

sh is the default shell, it works perfectly.

Why can't there be a mix of binary and source based package managers?
>want program x without features a and b but with feature c
>tell my package manager to compile it that way
>don't care about all the other 98% of programs
>tell my package manager to get the vanilla binaries

There is no 'sh' shell, senpai. There was one back in Unix times, but in GNU /bin/sh is a link to another shell; usually bash or dash.

The link doesn't matter. It's still a limitation which means that everyone is bound to the lowest common denominator of shell syntax.
It does its job perfectly fine. Unfortunately, it's so fucking outdated that it completely buttfucks native scripting.

There should be an update for the standard that enforces a second default shell, with a different shebang. It would break nothing, but it would also be much more useful.
Not python. Python is not any better.

And yes, it would require more space, which would be bad for embedded distributions. No idea how to handle those.

If you start to write huge scripts with sh you're doing it wrong.
>There should be an update for the standard that enforces a second default shell
There is already a new standard, it's called python.

We don't need to change sh, we need to stop using sh for complex scripts.

try sabayon, calculate or nixos

nix can do this, pacman/aur can kind of do this

If you unironically use python for scripting, you must have brain damage.

If you unironically use sh for complex scripts and not python, you're a code monkey.

Just bolt Powershell onto sh, without the object gimmick. It literally removes all of the shitty syntax that makes sh scripting so fucking atrocious, especially from a maintenance perspective.

That's why perl became the standard for everything beyond simple scripts.

>Powershell
And I thought you were serious.

>sudo emerge --sync && sudo emerge --ask --update --newuse --changed-use --deep --with-bdeps=y --keep-going @world
>sudo pacman -Syu would've finished by the time you've finished typing the commands

It is often very useful to be able to record the image on the screen. There is a variety of methods that can be used, but the most direct is simply to photograph the screen with a 35-mm camera and color slide film. Because the screen image is refreshed every 1/30 second, it is important to use a slow shutter speed so that at least one full screen frame will have been displayed while the shutter is open. At any shutter speed greater than 1/30 second only a portion of the image will be captured. Thus, about 1/15 second is a desirable speed. For static images, even slower speeds can be used. It is also helpful to photograph the screen in a darkened room to eliminate extraneous reflections from the screen. Because most monitor screens are relatively small, the standard 50-mm focal-length lens of a 35-mm camera will produce distortion at the close distances necessary to photograph the screen. A slightly longer focal-length lens, say 100 mm to 135 mm, will eliminate any of this "pin-cushion" distortion.

Video cassette recorders are also excellent for recording the dynamic screen output from the computer. Since the video cassette recorder is designed for use with broadcast video, the computer must provide an NTSC video signal. Recording images from the computer is easy. Plug the video output into the VCR. If a separate audio output from the computer exists, it can also be recorded by the VCR. Recording the output from an RGB video output requires specialized equipment.

Just the Set-Strictmode command and the vastly improved syntax for variables (Consistently using $variable instead of using a different syntax for assignments) and control structures (no more fucking fi or esac) make it worth it.
And seriously, fuck if in sh. It's a fucking atrocity.
Yes, I am well aware of why it is the way it is. It's still horrible.

Shell scripts are fine. Just don't be stupid.

What are some great python eggs next yo youtube-dl?

why does budgie cannot display wallpaper correctly?
i installed budgie in a debian vm but instead of showing the wallpaper it just shows a blue background

There, a python shell xonsh.org/

Customizing the package manager is the whole point of that distro. Some of your options are wrong. Single letter opts do exist.

is there anything better than Debian buster for good balance between sanity and flexibility (for desktop usage of course)? looking to try opensuse tumbleweed or even fedora, maybe something else?

Attached: image.png (512x512, 582K)

Which GNU/Linux youtubers do you watch?

Attached: 1540040018803.png (1280x720, 71K)

>bogo linnix, de serbers with de linnix in de name xD, burrism ebin gill switches xDD and de gegbot 3d mini, kbai

In qutebrowser I have auto_save.session set to true, yet whenever I close qutebrowser and reopen it all tabs are gone.
What's going on?

Please don't make me change back to firefox.

Attached: qutebrowsersessionsave.png (1265x713, 170K)

So after launching a Steam game or sometimes after quitting Firefox my Xorg seems to be crashing? Except all my peripherals are blocked so I can't use SysRq or TTY and I have to force-shutdown.

Any ideas? It's a clean Debian netinst so I'm most definitely missing some package or something.

Attached: Richard Stallman blesses Neelie Kroes.jpg (1688x2535, 361K)

Install arch

I thought as a beginner I'd get comfortable with Debian first, but I'm pretty sure the same problem would occur on Arch as well.

>Any ideas?
Stop using netinst when you do not know what you are doing. It's not any good to avoid "bloat" if your system isn't working.

I do understand that but as a lazy person I am I thought I'd rather go balls-deep so that something sticks on me.

Boy do I feel stupid. I had another instance of qutebrowser runing on another workspace that I forgot about.

Damn qutebrowser is sexy.

Any way to use something like ublock origins on it?

You're describing any rolling release system.
I'd suggest Arch since source based is way meme.
Download the tar.gz for the package you want and add the patches/switches you want in the PKGBUILD then makepkg

Why alsamixer is at 70% volume out of the box?

Two Thinkpads x200, one running Mint Cinnamon and other running Ubuntu 18.04. Bought a Thinkpad yesterday, £ 69 ($90) had Windows 7 Professional on it. Quickly installed Ubuntu 64 bit and never looked back.

You're not using pulseaudio?

Use pulseaudio.

What's the cool-kid version of GIMP?

Attached: cool-kid.jpg (600x899, 48K)

Good on you mate but you should use a better GNU/Linux distribution in my opinion.

Bumping this post for interest.

Those two distros are just what I need. Efficient, quick and reliable.

based

based

Fedora, regular OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, ... Debian testing isn't rolling release, it's a beta for Debian stable. You get cycles of stagnation and instability surrounding each stable release. The 6 month cycle used by all the big corporate distros is the most practical approach for the vast majority of cases.

imagemagick

Just install debian.

Even better, install arch.

Calling distros GNU/Linux is like saying French/English instead of English because it has some borrowed words.

Debian is very good. Basic but good. Arch is just for fan boys. too much messing about. Just want something that works.

Whenever i pull a PR from github a "MERGE_MSG" pops up in my text editor asking me to explain why i pulled it as if its going to send a pull request.
This is sudden and new and how do i get rid of it? I dont have any github account setup nor am i contributing code to the project, im just downloading a pr that adds in new switches for the program for me to use.

I want to weather indicator to look more sleek on Ubuntu, installed an icon pack, but it's not changing. I like the applet as is, just the icons annoy me.

Anyone know wat2du?

Install new icons? Don't have to stay with Vanilla Ubuntu Icons

No, that's the problem, I did install new icons, but the weather icons are staying the same

Best filesystem for NVME SSD?

I was using f2fs, but it's been deteriorating rapidly(fsck now takes more than my entire system boot-up) and I don't think I actually need FS-level overprovisioning now (I used 7%).

Is XFS the next best thing?

Attached: 2018-10-20-18:18:31-screenshot.png (1272x713, 116K)

Are there any artists who only use GIMP? I found pepper&carrot, he does it all in Krita. Is GIMP abandonware?

Can people please stop falling for the SSD meme?

>Can people please stop falling for the SSD meme?
No. I'll sooner return to some shitty Atom CPU than go back to HDD.

I want to use ALSA for bit perfect sound.

what's wrong with ext4?

>going to Atom
user, you don't know what you're saying!

Had past negative experience with no inodes being left.

>when you think the "ssd meme" is serious

Attached: Milhouse_me_me.jpg (800x850, 63K)

>I want to use ALSA for bit perfect sound.
I don't know what to say. Do you know that pulseaudio is just a wrapper above alsa?

>Do you know that pulseaudio is just a wrapper above alsa?
not anymore

On my laptop, it is. It's alsa which handle my sound device, pulseaudio is just the controller.

you can remove alsa and pulse will do everything by its own

Pulse won't use the alsa kernel sound driver?

recently installed arch with xfce+lightdm, but when i close the lid, it suspends but doesn't lock, although that option is enabled. how do I fix this?

Please reference the arch wiki before making any posts anywhere on the internet.
It is spelt out for you
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Sleep_hooks

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Sleep_hooks
the thing is, back on debian, I didn't need to do shit for it to just suspend, why can't it be the same here?

Hey lads any good railroad simulators you would recommend? I have a hankering for trains and my models are in the shed. Not joking.

>why can't it be the same here?
No systems can be configured to please everyone. So choices are made and you have the freedom to change things.

Go back to debian then.

Im tired with Arch.
To what should i switch? All i want is arch that doesnt fuck itself for no reason.

Ok, since there is no answer I'll go with XFS.

BTRFS is slow for some applications, EXT4 had inode problem for me, F2FS has fsck troubles on my machine and HAMMER2 is BSD exclusive.

I might, this fucked me too much with nvidia already, had to downgrade to linux-lts and recompile manually some modules
Debian stable just worked.

>All i want is arch that doesnt fuck itself for no reason
Void if you want old-school arch.

>reminder
Update your kernel.

Attached: v4.18.16.png (256x102, 7K)

>for no reason
Manage your .pacnew's and read logs and you wont have a problem

>Debian just worked
Then go back to using ancient packages then. Why did you pick arch if you cannot read a fucking changlelog?
>linux-lts
If you have a pre 400 card you jsut need nvidia-390xx and you use the latest kernel.
>recompile some modules
Use dkms.

You need a reminder for that?

Attached: 2018-10-20-19:11:17-screenshot.png (739x41, 7K)

Is there a remote desktop program that just werks? I'm done with configuring shit that should just work

Me? No, but people here? Yes.

vnc

gentoo

Have you tried manjaro?

Aside from repos, does it differ that much?

Please quote the right post next time
/kys

video preview doesn't work again on my ranger. scope. has video enabled and I have ffmpegthumbnailer installed why this shit doesn't work

Attached: file.png (924x480, 60K)

How do I make rTorrent work with DHT. It just refuses to connect to peers using DHT or PEX.
Here are related config lines
dht.mode.set = on
protocol.pex.set = yes
trackers.use_udp.set = yes
protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,try_outgoing,enable_retry

Okay, real talk.
I'm new babby to Linux, have been using Ubuntu, and I am curious.

Is there anything a DE can do that a WM can't?. Kinda feel like doing a fresh install with only a WM.

Attached: 65d.png (434x327, 32K)

arch linux

what is going on? xfce4-taskmanager/free -m/top arent telling the full story. my cpu usage is not adding up, and memory is not being freed even if i close programs like steam and firefox (represented on the right, where the highest memory consuming item is mpv because i use it to listen to music). i have 2 gigabytes of ram, 1 gigabyte of swap, and normally on reboot my idle memory consumption is no more than ~12 percent/240 megabytes. i would think this wasn't a problem but overtime my machine begins to severely slow down and then completely stop being responsive.

Attached: high cpu and later unfreed memory.png (1202x674, 176K)

this is a simple misunderstanding. a desktop environment (DE) is a collection of a window manager (WM), usually a compositor and a handful of software that compliment the above like a panel. a WM is more standalone, being just the WM, without coming with anything else. for example, xfce4 is a desktop environment, but nothing is stopping you from only installing xfwm4. most DEs are not nearly as modular however

dunno but rtorrent rc makes me upset every time I look at it
>on
>yes
>disabled
>no
>off
>enabled
why can't this nigger stick to one boolean

How do I mount my SFTP server in my file browser like thunar and enable compression?
I know to mount the server all you have to do is go to address sftp://[email protected] but how can I enable compression?

Attached: Thunar-about-logo.png (172x204, 37K)

>cpu
Unless you're capping out there is little to do watching your cpu usage. The system creators, who know far more complex math then you, have set the system to utilize what it needs when it needs it.

>memory
Install 'ps_mem'
Run it as root
Post a screenshot

Did you fuck with your swappiness and vfs_cache settings?

>stops being responsive
Install iotop
Run iotop as root

sshfs

after unplugging my arch harddrive and using my windows harddrive, I'm getting a "missing boot mgr" message when I swapp back to arch.
Is this a grub problem?

Attached: girl.png (756x720, 628K)

So, for a beginner, is it a horrible idea to just go with a WM?

I like how sleek it looks and I can probably do everything with a search bar anyway.