/wdg/ - Web Development General

Fixed OP edition.
Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg.png (822x552, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/g/1540032267564.webm
github.com/FrancescoSaverioZuppichini/Flue
medium.com/@FrancescoZ/flue-another-flux-library-82ff43f70899
codeburst.io/i-did-not-like-vuex-so-i-write-my-own-state-management-library-d4bae49d7f4c
pastebin.com/9uSJtB7D
utilities-online.info/xmltojson/
fork-cms.com/
ezplatform.com/
concrete5.org/
bolt.cm/
asgardcms.com/
octobercms.com/
docs.zendframework.com/zend-expressive-authentication/v1/user-repository/
docs.zendframework.com/zend-expressive-authentication/v1/auth-adapter/
phptherightway.com
freecodecamp.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

explain this

i.4cdn.org/g/1540032267564.webm

about time somebody did the OP right for once, thank you

good webum.
I'm just glad that during my ~7 years of frontend webdev, I've never made a website that had any of the things depicted in that vid.

Attached: 1502662560275.jpg (404x270, 32K)

Dem animation so smooth.

Do you guys have any tip for someone that just quit his job and want to study web dev?
I plan on giving myself a year.

1.HTML
2.CSS
3.JS
4.PHP
5.MySQL
6.JS Frameworks (like Vue, React, Angular, from new to old)
7.Backend Frameworks/Languages
8.????????
9. Profit!!!!!11

Learn HTML(5) so you understand it well.
Learn CSS(3) so you understand it well.
Learn JS so you understand it well.
Learn a backend language of your choice (I recommend PHP) so you understand it well.
Learn to use relational databases until so understand them well.

Then - and only then - start learning to use libraries and frameworks for those languages.
I recommend WordPress as one of the first frameworks to learn. There's always someone willing to pay for a quick WP site.
Then whatever the latest-and-greatest JS lib is. Currently React, I think.

Libs/frameworks come and go. jQuery was de facto standard some years ago, and now is basically antique. React is currently the industry standard, and will surely be forgotten in X years by most.
Languages stay and are useful for WAY longer, and the skills you learn carry over to other languages and technologies.

You can always learn to use a lib, but learning a whole new syntax and best practices for a language takes way longer. You should get a solid base before you start working with libs.
Trust me, user. Don't become a pajeet-tier dev who only knows how to use code made by others.

basically hiveminded

Attached: 858f79fe.jpg (411x412, 16K)

specifically for CSS: learn to use flexbox, as every website these days that isn't ancient is using it for rendering properly on different devices

wget it using console/terminal

Easy. Either required by law or attempting to increase conversion rates.

>Either required by law
there is no law on internet.

kek'd

Attached: 1509317689529.jpg (727x639, 115K)

Thanks for the tips.
I've been fucking around for months with HTML5, CSS, JS, and PHP (Laravel mostly) on my free time, but I think I've barely scratched the surface.
I need to calm down and learn things slowly.
I want to get a couple of udemy courses. The Colt Steel one was good but a bit outdated.
It gets hard for me to set a clear road.

Assuming you're looking for a job, start working with real world stuff as soon and as often as possible. E.g. freelancing, contributing to open source, volunteering, working with other developers etc. Also try to network. Those were the things I neglected because I'm a loner, so I thought I could bypass the human interaction aspects. WRONG! It's proving hard to get a job mainly because I have no contacts or experience

>(Laravel mostly)
I'm memeing based on what people on /wdg/ say, but they say, pick Symfony instead, Laravel is based on it and it has better up to date standars and more expandable structure, if you have to pick a PHP framework it is Symfony, but to be extra sure check on the job offers in your area, take the pay in account as well

Networking is a big thing and so is having hobbies outside of web dev.

They'll throw out your resume if they ask you what you do for fun and you sound boring.

Being able to fit in with their current developers is usually just as important as what you know unless it's some megacorp.

The Laravel choice was heavily influenced by a friend. He works with that now and could land me a job.

>He works with that now and could land me a job.
that's something, I wouldn't miss on it

Fulltime. At the start of the day you get a code challenge or a partner for peer programming. You basically work on that until the lecture starts. The lecture's a 2+ hour livestream with occasional breaks mixed in and ends with them giving you an assignment you get 4 hours to work on. Then after that you meet with a TA and 6-8 other classmates to talk about what you got finished. it's not uncommon for people to not finish projects and have to work on them after hours. Generally a TA will hand hold a retard for you, so unless you get a one for peer programming you'll generally never have to do it yourself.

Their are things like sprints and project weeks that are a little more serious though. You can't really ask for help in slack, and they'll make you repeat the last four weeks of whatever section of the program you're in if you fail enough of them. Project weeks especially are really important. My cohort was one of the better ones and even then I think we still had at least 20 people drop out or get held back because of this.

Thanks for the info user. I'm on the fence about applying. I'd have to quit my shitty part-time job, which isn't a problem since it's a dead end anyway and I definitely have the money and support to last me through the 6/7 months. I'm fairly intelligent but lacking in discipline and motivation which is really the appeal of a program like Lambda School. I know I could teach myself the stuff for free but having a regimented schedule and somebody cracking the whip is probably what I need to be successful.

Yeah, I'm just worried about what level do I need to actually get shit done.
I already know more than I think but I'm really demanding with myself. If I ever say I know my shit you can bet I do.

We are pretty much in the same situation. Best of lucks.
My advice, get into sports, specially martial arts. Most of my discipline comes from my karate years.

here is the thing that we post

Attached: modern-front-end-developer.png (1332x3790, 963K)

You're wrong. Laravel is the way to got for PHP frameworks.

t. Laravel dev

I'm not the one to counter you, that would be PHP guy

pls mark as NSFW I almost threw up

Need wordpress resource to go from noob to pro, already know php

lololol
take my upvote fellow sir

should i structure by directory based on type eg. components directory, container directory, reducer directory, etc..
or by feature?

Maybe I'm a tinfoil hat conspiracy nut but I really think the EU cookie law has accelerated this shit. Now that it's mandatory to have the cookie banner devs/marketing people (mostly marketing people) think it's ok to get away with lots of other banners as well

Someone explain JSON extremely nested elements for a brainlet, I throw everything that repeats itself into an array, and then into objects or an array again if it repeats too much, how do I do this right?

Attached: json.png (305x556, 10K)

feature

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 2.52.25 PM.png (522x1156, 80K)

/
/css
/fonts
/img
/js
/whatever-you-wanna-call-your-app-directory
/logic
/templates
/whatever
/you-get-the-point

1st of all, use english as your language when you code. 2ndly, use objects when you need properties, and arrays when you need indices.

I prefer doing it by feature, much easier to find things that you need when working on larger projects.

Why the fuck are you coding in catalonian?

because is a school asignment

you haven't explained your problem and you are almost certainly solving your problem wrong.

all that came across was a bunch of gibberish from a panicked brainlet.

Trees should be short and fat.
JSON should be easy to traverse in code.
You almost certainly have no need to recursively traverse JSON.

I have no idea what you mean by any of that.

My issue I guess is that to group a bunch of objects I have to use an array, that's fine, but when it's an array inside another array I feel like I'm doing something wrong, can I put multiple objects inside a object? Idk I'm just mindfucked by it all.

go back to the drawing board.
what are you trying to model in the first place?

Attached: 2076514-shiki_misaki_artwork_2.jpg (320x320, 15K)

I've already done it, it's an assignment, my json is valid, but it looks fucky, I'll take a screenshot of the whole thing see if you can understand it better.
It's a bunch of camping data from 2 campings that has a fuckload of data nested into moar data

I gave you rules to follow, and since it's clear that you can't English for shit I'm gonna devolve my English for you

Any TREE should have a low height.
As low as you can.
JSON is a TREE.

>group a bunch of objects together
Arrays imply "SEQUENCE".
Objects imply "MAPPING".

Arrays inside of arrays imply "MATH" or "BAD DESIGN"

Attached: DS14-BSTF.png (1239x915, 58K)

Attached: json.png (498x858, 29K)

Attached: json.png (448x852, 28K)

We don't want your data.
We want your DESIGN.

Does anyone have any experience with this Flue library for Vue.js??

github.com/FrancescoSaverioZuppichini/Flue

I wanna try it instead of vuex since Flue doesn't add as much overhead and I like the object oriented store approach, feels more "natural" to me!

medium.com/@FrancescoZ/flue-another-flux-library-82ff43f70899

codeburst.io/i-did-not-like-vuex-so-i-write-my-own-state-management-library-d4bae49d7f4c

The docs are missing more complex examples imo wich is a pity.

I'm also new to this board, been studying by myself for months so hi to everyone!!

Attached: 1527981671366.jpg (683x683, 48K)

I think I found it, this is what I was looking for:
{"position": {"x": 100, "y": 100}, "size": {"dx": 200, "dy": 100}}
this structure is what I was lacking

it's from a xml
pastebin.com/9uSJtB7D
nevermind I just found:
utilities-online.info/xmltojson/
and it kinda broke it down for me

You didn't know you could do that?

Attached: 1481968771753.jpg (600x328, 28K)

I did, but I didn't know how to avoid overusing arrays, it's about using that one structure more

Hi

Is being a web developer even a good career for the future, the web is getting bigger and bigger but the biggest sites are the same shit from 10 years ago, every new thing is put on this ocean of shit and forgotten in about a year or so. Its all reddit youtube Jow Forums facebook twitter amazon ebay etc. etc. Nothing new, nothing exiciting. Soon people will realize new websites are worthless unless its a site for a company selling some shit online, and we will become useless. I am scared bros.

Attached: 94694836282374623.jpg (1170x1089, 125K)

>is being a web developer
I've never once considered myself a web developer and I never will.
It's just one aspect of my skillset out of a lot of other things that I can do.

I seriously hope that you haven't put all your eggs into this one basket.
Companies are always looking for web development for creating tiny demos that they can show at conferences or to their managers.

All kinds of tiny shit that will never see the light of day to more than a couple hundred people, but the dirty work still needs to get done.

Attached: 1503300936287.jpg (1079x1070, 562K)

I cba to post a long reply explaining my reasoning, but just know that I wholeheartedly disagree with your fears.
I think being a skilled webdev is one of the easiest ways to make sure that you'll never* be out of work.
Even if getting a job won't work out for you, you can always work on your own projects.

As long as you're good at it, the visitors/clients/money will come.
The skill threshold required to get a MVP of a website is tiny. Doesn't require physical exertion, or even a degree. Granted, since it's easy-tier, the only way to succeed is to be above average.

*: for the foreseeable future, you pedantic fuck

>an array of single key objects
you'll never make it senpai

How much money do you need to advertise yourself with freelancing? I am 20 year old and i am starting a deep dive into web dev and programming in general

>very good university that is only on every second weekend
>offers lots of (paid) internships

My plan is to survive my boring as fuck office job now for a year so i get enough money for the university and for later shit, then in those remaining years of school so till 23-25 take as many interships as i can maybe even some full time jobs and then just drop all the money i have in ads for freelancing, i don't want to be a billionaire freelancer, just comfy working on projects from home, i know its wishful thinking, but i bet some have done it.

Attached: 1538568374642.jpg (820x1024, 60K)

I'm learning, pls no bully

>i don't want to be a billionaire freelancer, just comfy working on projects from home
why not? it's easy to start a company

Because managing your company isn't a 6 or an 8 hour job 5 days a week, its a 24/7 job

>How much money do you need to advertise yourself with freelancing?
There's really no way to answer that question. The same way you can't really objectively or accurately answer the more general "How much does advertising cost?"

How much does it cost to tell everyone you know that you're a freelance webdev willing to take on work? Nothing.
How much does it cost to put ads on Google Ads (or whatever)? Depends on where and how much you wanna advertise. Read up on google ads if you're interested.

I've gotten freelance project offers by word-of-mouth, and after getting the first few clients, you could totally tell them that if someone they know needs a website done, you're accepting new projects at the moment.

yes, it'a a new way of living, free from wagecuckery

Don't even worry about it. Tech evolves slowly enough that you can learn something new and transfer your skills over.

I started 20 years ago with just css and html. Had to learn js to keep going. Then had to learn php/MySQL to keep going, then jquery, then react and react native to keep going.

It's a constant process of learning shit. If you don't learn shit then you get left behind. If you keep learning shit then you'll have a job in whatever the web evolves into.

I'm more scared of coding initiatives actually. They keep training kids to code and they are going to flood our desperate and overpaid workspace soon enough and make our job oversaturated. Trying to retire before that happens. We have maybe 10 years.

>a greyed out scrollbar appears on an element with overflow:auto
>focus input[type='text'] inside the scrollable element
>the only style that changes is outline
>scrollbar disappears
>blur input
>scrollbar reappears

Fucking Chrome and subpixel rendering

You can just move to a shitty behind-the rest country like Poland or Ukraine or whatever shit country there is where the pajeets will not be everywhere to get a comfy dev job.

>training kids to code
It's not what you think it is.

It's a glorified day care "summer camp" for kids.
Give them something to do all day besides play video games and get introduced to the local drug dealer.
Are the kids interested? Probably, it is by design.
Will the kids remember? Probably not; they're kids and anything they make will be too shitty to be truly captivating for most of them.
Will the kids pursue? They'll do whatever their parents make them do.

Anyone have a nice Vue PWA template I could use? I want to make a wiki sort of knowledge base for an old game that's cross platform, offline capable, can have weapon trees, maps with POIs and legends, etc, because it's not fun when all the important bits of info has to be gathered from 17 different sources everytime you need to look at something

Is Adobe Illustrator worth learning if i'd like to be a front-end developer?

Attached: 86568567845754.png (782x752, 886K)

>Is Adobe Illustrator worth learning if i'd like to be a front-end developer?
maybe? Having peripheral skills never hurt anyone, but I've been doing front end for a few years now and I dont know the first thing about drawing. I'm barely passable at GIMP. Im a fucking PRO at html tags though

Attached: readinglist.jpg (1081x1060, 203K)

AI, PS and ID.
But that job is usually left for pure breed Designers.

Now that really made me think. how many of you /wdg/s do actual Web Design?

Attached: 4.jpg (2736x3648, 2.47M)

>html tags though
talk about being out of the loop
you don't use flex, grid, floats or positions?

What's a good option if I need a CMS but want to avoid WordPress? I tried to learn WP but I don't like it. I just need something that sends things like articles or some small adjustments to the back-end, without some CMS integral function or other shit. I think I'll end up coding it myself.

I did this for a small section (a carousel) on a site once, it wasn't that dificult, but it was the most sophisticated piece of tech I had in the whole site.
Make sure to build a previewer of how it will look with AJAX or whatever is the norm nowdays.

which is used more for backend in the industry, python or node?

you know, as usual, ask me things about php

>I think I'll end up coding it myself.
Best option, desu.
Haven't used anything other than WP, which I dislike, but haven't felt the need to learn anything else either.
Have been toying with the idea of making my own, though. As I always do.

Give a quick rundown on this.

right on time, I started doing a project in symfony and it turned out that symfony is too big for the thing I'm trying to do, switching over to zend expressive as we speak, as one of your recommendations,

just a quick question, in symfony, there is an option to have an in memory user, like admin, so I didn't have to create a database just for one user, how to do that in ZE? I'll probably find it out after some search in the docs, but it's faster if I just ask you because I have to transfer some code

just point me in a direction

for web stuff like icons and logos, ive never needed more than inkscape

in the php part, as long as you are using laravel, you will be always scratching the surface.
>people on /wdg/
that was me, i talked a lot about laravel before and why it sucks almost everywhere
i wont say you cant get a job with laravel, you can, and they are more laravel positions than symfony or zend, but its not a solid framework
no its not kiddo
i guess thats me
if you know php you wouldn't be using wordpress
there's multiple choices when it comes to php :
1 - you can build your own using symfony/cmf
2 - available cms :
- fork-cms.com/ ( built with symfony )
- ezplatform.com/ ( built with symfony )
- concrete5.org/ ( built with symfony )
- bolt.cm/ ( built with symfony )
- asgardcms.com/ ( built with laravel )
- octobercms.com/ ( built with laravel )
- there's more, just search packagist for cms
actually PHP.

>inkscape
noice!

Any tips/guidance on this? I've got a project idea and I'm interested in turning it into a product and starting my own business around it.

well, zend expressive is all about middlewares it doesn't have a full blown security component like symfony ( you can use symfony security component but that's gonna be quite hard to integrate ), however, you can use the zend authentication component and create a user repository with 1 method ( authenticate ), when someone tries to login into the website the username and password will be passed to the user repository and it should return true if the password is correct, you can have APP_ADMIN_USERNAME and APP_ADMIN_PASSWORD as environment variables and check against them ( note: make sure the password is hashed in the environment variable - recommend using Argon2 )

check this : docs.zendframework.com/zend-expressive-authentication/v1/user-repository/

are rxjs and redux just a meme or are they actually good?

whats best JS resource?

eloquent js and ydkjs seem a bit too steep.

you wouldn't need AI for anything except creative web 2.0 landing page illustrations and the company will just contract a designer to do that or buy them, not a dev's job. if you can open mockups in photoshop you're good to go. but it doesn't hurt to know it if you're interested.

well, authenticate should return a user instance in case the credential match, not a boolean.

here's an implementation :

namespace App\Auth;

use Zend\Expressive\Authentication\UserRepositoryInterface;
use Zend\Expressive\Authentication\DefaultUser;
use Zend\Expressive\Authentication\UserInterface;

class UserRepository implement UserRepositoryInterface
{
/**
* Authenticate the credential (username) using a password
* It returns the authenticated user or null.
* @param string $credential
*/
public function authenticate(string $credential, string $password = null) : ?UserInterface
{
$adminUsername = getenv('APP_ADMIN_USERNAME') ?: '';
$adminPassword = getenv('APP_ADMIN_PASSWORD') ?: '';

if( $credential !== $adminUsername || !password_verify($password ?? '', $adminPassword)) {
return null;
}

// fill these as you wish
$roles = [];
$details = [];

return new DefaultUser($credential, $roles, $details);
}
}

also make sure to get a authentication adapter : docs.zendframework.com/zend-expressive-authentication/v1/auth-adapter/
i recommend using the session one here.

>jstherightway.org/
also just do the FreeCodeCamp section if you're starting from scratch

you are the best

>js the right way
is this the dollar store version of phptherightway.com ?
*blushes*

There's no parallax effect. Is that already 2017?

Sup /wdg/, I'm just getting back into web dev after about a year without working on anything substantial due to lack of time. My portfolio is a bit dated and I'm thinking about just starting over completely. My question is this: How do I go about finding work on freelancing sites with little-to-no portfolio and without spending hours each day writing proposals? Would it be prudent in my case to build a few themes or templates and upload them to ThemeForest or a similar site?

Attached: 1379151067561.gif (310x325, 1.94M)

Yeah. These days, the suggested style is to not actually scroll the webpage as the user scrolls, but instead to transform the elements of the page to fluidly transition to new content.

Attached: 1531613609006.jpg (320x320, 31K)

hello there, what do you think about vue.js?

>6 months after graduation and still can't get a job
why shouldn't i kill myself

Attached: 1476880061329.jpg (300x196, 13K)

better to wait for a job, than to have a shitty job

>freecodecamp.org
will employers consider me if I show them I completed most of the freeCodeCamp courses?

this fucking shit just saved my life
[code php]