What laptop do you use?

what laptop do you use?

I need a new one, looking at options

Attached: Lenovo-ThinkPad-X260.jpg (1500x1200, 1.03M)

Ageing macbook air, it's fine. Waiting for the end of the month where they'll hopefully bring out an updated model.
Look at the surface pro for a windows machine though.

Attached: apple-mba-clamshell.jpg (620x413, 81K)

Thinkpad T420

/thread

El1337book user here

Shits so cash

Let's face it, it's seven years old at this point, and the screen was never good. Eventually we'll all have to migrate to something else

buy a thinkpad x220

thinkpad t440p

Nitro 5 with a 2500u Ryzen and rx560

x60 w/ libreboot
X200 w/ libreboot
X250

XPS 13 9370 maxed out running Fedora 28

X270
it keeps getting small cracks in the plastic around the palmrest and above the ports and shit and i don't drop it or abuse it or even move it that much
fuck

Latitude 5590

IBM thikpad

Macbook Pro 13". Might get another one in the future, depends what happens with all this keyboard mess.

MSI Jow Forumsaming laptop
Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2015
Thinkpad X201
Might sell one of the two thinkpads, but I like both.

Attached: Dell-Latitude-7490-6[1].jpg (1200x800, 276K)

you grossly underestimate the power of autism

How do I coreboot a T520?

That looks cute as fuck

Wait for zen+ raven ridge

If you get it for like 200€ / $150 it's pretty nice and will serve you well. It's not like cheap new laptops are worth it, the good ones cost a lot.

HP Elitebook 2540p

Attached: hp_elitebook_2540p.jpg (1200x990, 141K)

I mean I'm using a T420 myself, and I really don't want to stop using it, but eventually I'll have to. I was doing an Android project a while back and the IDE was feeling quite sluggish on this thing. But I don't know, I'm actually hoping that it was just some kind of problem with my machine. I'm just hoping that a new good model will appear in the meantime so I can get that when the time comes

Attached: 6bd9a0af.jpg (900x1200, 151K)

Thinkpad X230. Quite comfy desu.

Attached: 1539648928574.gif (800x682, 332K)

Thinkpad X1 carbon. After they fixed the S3 sleep stuff on Linux it's been great.

a T530 but I'm 1.89mt and muscular so I can handle its weight. For the average person I'd reccommend a t450 or a x250.

at least:
>16GB memory
>512GB storage
>1920x1080

what are my options?
don't really want to pay €3k for a macbook pro

the fuck you need 16gb memory in a laptop for?

VMs

I bought a refurb for $150 for work. Extremely happy with the purchase. Need to buy another for home.

I'd go for a used x1 carbon. It has all you need plus that premium look and feel that will make people wish they were having sex with you. I'd go for a maxed out 2016 model, you can find them for a reasonable price.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1920x1080, 116K)

Thinkpad is the only answer Jow Forums should post.

Dell XPS 15

Mines lasted so far since launch. The only thing I have a problem with is it doesn't save that much battery when lid is closed under linux, even w/ TLP + PowerTop. It will die in 2 days unlike win* where it suspends indefinitely. Have you gotten around this issue user? Is it a Cstate problem?

Can it be had with clit mouse only? As in no trackpad

Dell Precision M6700
RIP, just stopped working one day

>i7 3740QM
>Quadro K5000M
>32GB DDR3 1800MHz RAM
>space for 3 2.5 disks and an mSATA dksk
>backlit fullsize keyboard *(none of this modern chiclet shit)
>17.3 inch 1080p anti-glare screen
>4 USB ports, firewire, eSATA, HDMI, VGA, Displayport
>felt sturdy and solid

Will be sorely missed

Attached: jEwplfa.png (580x478, 209K)

MacBook pro 13".

Last MacBook lasted me 7 years and ran as good as new, I'm not going back to Windows laptops.

Why, a Lenovo© ThinkPad™ T530 of course.

Attached: top of the world.jpg (1500x1125, 362K)

Lenovo x280 is God-tier if you travel alot

12.5" is ideal for traveling. I used to have a lenovo T460s and I hated the bulky feeling of it.

Attached: thinkpad-x280-review-keyboard-01.jpg (1600x1200, 311K)

Can't the trackpad be disabled anyway. It's not like the machine really gains anything from removing it entirely, it's the same amount of space below the keyboard in any case

Nice view, what town is that? I always wanted to live in an apartment higher up

Attached: 1538034783839.gif (534x490, 38K)

Elitebook 8470p
I7 up to 3.5ghz
8gb ram
ssd
1600x900 matt display
Dedicated 1gb gpu chip
Other thank display im quite satisfied

Why can't they still have separate volume keys. It's one of those things you get so used to that it feels awful not to have them anymore. I wouldn't mind the new keyboards at all otherwise

Thinkpad P1 if you're not a poorfag. There isn't a better notebook out there.

dell latitude ftw
fk the thinkpad meme

Attached: lat.jpg (259x194, 5K)

If you are a student or teacher or you know someone who is, then take a look at the lenovo campus thinkpads. They all have a pretty good price and come with comfy nonstandard configurations.

I don't see it as a problem. I use the Fn-lock so I can just press the volume buttons to adjust it.

This feels like a sales pitch.

It is. Originally I wanted a thinkpad for around 1000
€. Now I paid 1500€ for a campus model. But the same model with this configuration would cost around 2200€. So I paid a lot more than I wanted but I definitely got a lot more

t430

surface book with performance base

Zbook G1
- FullHD matte IPS
- An OK discrete card, enough for indies
- Wi-Fi ac
- up to 32 GB of RAM
- place for mSATA, DVD-ROM and 2.5" SSD
- Thunderbolt gen1 (gen2 with a BIOS update)
Yeah, pretty good. Thinkpads of that configuration become quite pricey, that Zbook was just under 500 eurobux.
Cons are quiet speakers and 100W bulky PSU.

Got a G4 because le happy merchants at university convinced me to buy it from them. The only issue I have with them is that they are so fragile.

A Lenovo Chromebook 100s i got from work
bretty good, only for emails and docs and sometimes youtube.
Comfy

Attached: oooo.jpg (1366x768, 135K)

>Anno Domini 2011+7
>DVD-ROM

You can only choose one.

>'Have to'
In what circumstance, it breaking or something? Stop damaging your laptops you fool

Attached: His gaze is weak.png (210x312, 75K)

I recently bought my first ThinkPad.
I'm pretty pleased so far.

Next time I won't choose E-Series though

im a hoarder
2 lenovo thinkpad t520's
panasonic cf19
asus k53tk
2 lenovo tab 2's (1st gen)
samsung nf210 netbook
and a few desktops i built from scratch with various specs
someone also donated an asus 17" rog beast laptop but I couldn't tell you the model. has an i7 256gb ssd and 16gb ram. been too busy to work on it though

That's the point, I transferred my HDD-in-DVD-caddy+SSD setup from the previous laptop. Unfortunately, modern laptops provide either one 2.5" place + M.2 slot or no 2.5" at all.

Oh sweet, I thought you actually used it to read CDs/DVDs.

Late 2013 macbook air 13". Still runs amazingly well and holds a charge quite well (I get about 8 hours of streaming video, browsing the web, chatting on slack and IRC, etc with the keyboard backlight turned off and display at 50% brightness)

Was a hardcore Linux user for 24 years, thinkpad died last November so my best friend gave me the 2013 mba 13" and I will never look back.

By the hardware just falling behind, and eventually being too slow for certain things you might want to do with it. In my second message I mentioned the Android IDE instance as one example, particularly testing the graphical side was just way slower than you'd want to, when you're just trying to do a thing

For lighter stuff and internet browsing and whatever this still works perfectly though

Attached: e53d54fa.png (581x443, 117K)

all my windows laptops have lasted me 10+ years of daily use
my current one is going on 9 years.

are you comparing your 300-400 dollar windows laptos against thousand dollars+ macbooks?

>Dell-Latitude-7490

I'm seeing pictures and reviews both with and without a pointing stick. Is it an option?

based speakers

You can be like me and use the absolute worst fucking laptop on the face of the planet: Macbook.

i have the same speakers
those things lasted for a decade now

X220

I have an HP Pavilion 15-cw0009la, Best Buy had no other choice than give it to me because they couldn't repair my almost 2 yrs old asus vivobook tp501u.

The pros of this new laptop are:
-12 GB of RAM (The Asus had 8 GB)
-Faster Processor
-Better speakers
-Better battery life
-Better I/O
-A 128 GB M2 + 1 TB HDD

The cons:
-Lack of support for Radeon Vega APU, hell of a ride to start with almost any Linux distro
-Decrease on Screen resolution
-Not a convertible laptop
-No touchpad (For me it's a good thing)
-It's a fucking HP

I literally chose this laptop because was the best they had at the moment (and fucking muh Optane 4GB RAM shitty laptops everywhere).

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20181019191848.png (1366x768, 936K)

Macbook Pro 13"
I also have an iPhone

No I'm not gay

Get one with it. Might seem weird at first but then at some point you just don't want to use the trackpad anymore. I'm at the point that I need one for my desktop keyboard as well, I always get that reflex where I try to move my index finger onto the nipple which doesn't actually exist

I hope the A285 is just as good.

Quanta NL5a with Thunderobot branding. Thing has 32gigs of ram and a 1070 and I will never know for what reason it was being sold new for $999. I'm guessing something along the lines of if it were sold for a dollar more it would be kept track of.

Lenovo IdeaPad 710S
-512GB NVMe SSD
-Intel Iris 540
-very bright (350cd/m2) FullHD IPS display
-thin and very small bezels

couldnt be happier.
bought this before i started my bachelor thesis because I knew that the X200 i was running just wasnt powerful enough. now I am writing my master thesis on it.
its by far the best consumer notebook i ever used.

forgot to mention that the Sound (especially when considering how thin it is) is absolutely amazing.
the JBL speakers are perfect compared to any other notebook I ever used.

lenovo z50-70 i7 U 8gb ram working lap
it started nice (smooth wolfenstein, sc2 and dawn of war 2 in ultra) but it´s getting slower
I have a lot of piracy installed and a lot of pdfs (i have to share this)... will i lose my info if i use norton ghost?

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro. 4-core, 8-thread i7 (Sandy Bridge), 8GB RAM (upgradeable, just been too lazy/cheap), came with 750GB HDD (upgradeable as well, same excuse), good selection of ports as well. Got it refurbished through my dad's employer in 2015 and it's held up great so far, but the latest version of macOS doesn't support it, and I want to learn iOS development so I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace it, probably with another used/refurbed MBP

w541
going to install the fp+cs kb bezel and smart card reader right now in fact.

Attached: 806022355_72108.jpg (1280x960, 178K)

thinkpad t42. fast and secure shit. just bought it for 30 dollars.

Attached: 805652_0_original.jpg (380x386, 20K)

WalMart has that MSI gaming laptop. My buddy got one. He says its pretty dope.

so many poorfags at the same place
you guys should be ashamed of yourselves

X220 i7, IPS, 16g ram, ssd 850 Evo, normal usage, no gaymes!

Too bad the keyboard layout is absolute trash. The top row is ruined, there are no back and forward buttons (I love being able to go back with my pinky finger when using a thinkpad) and the print screen key is in the worst possible position (I loved old thinkpads for having it in a reasonable place).
Also, what's up with Lenovo's decision to put AMD models into A series, which used to be for something else entirely? Using names with 5 at the end was a thing for a while, and T485 or X285 would make MUCH more sense, especially considering how legendary the T series is.

honestly?

macbooks

Pc laptops are shit they last 1-2 years tops

New dell laptops still ship with optical disk drives. I guess it's a nice place to store another storage device.
I wish there was some power over SATA standard, allowing to replace them with batteries, as I don't care that much about storage space because I don't need that much of it.

>Pc laptops are shit they last 1-2 years tops
How much did you pay for that brainwashing? Even a crappy $300 laptop will last at least 4-5 years.

W520
it's my desktop as well

Attached: simplescreenrecorder2-2018-10-19_10.15.29.webm (854x480, 630K)

I have an ideapad, but I recommend a thinkpad

Attached: X62.jpg (1839x1143, 1.22M)

lol tell me what crappy laptop will last 5+ yrs

>tfw posting this from an old HP Pavilion DV5 that I've been using for 10 years
>tfw still using it as my gaming machine
Stop treating your laptops like you're a gorilla, user.

My macbear air just died :(

hi TopKuk

True but I hate feeling the track pad on my palm when using the pointer.
And having two sets of mouse buttons looks pretty stupid, unless you can remap them to something

>what laptop do you use?
A custom MSI GT75 Titan-056. Relevant to performance, I have additional work on the copper cooling framework, liquid metal with thermal pads, a 4 terabyte SSD in the place of the HDD, and 32 gigabytes of G.SKILL Ripjaws. IIRC, that's everything performance-wise. I could double-check, but God I don't fucking care.
>looking at options
Assuming price isn't an object, I would say that my setup is objectively the best gaming laptop setup, at least for right now. Well, short of installing two extra vents below the CPU and GPU, but that's meticulous on my part. Everything else is shit for one reason or another. As far as laptops go, this is just the sweet spot. By the time my setup is no longer relevant, the problems with the more powerful laptops will have been dealt with, and I can then go buy my next big meme.

T450s with 1080p IPS panel and thicc battery.

Pretty chill, warranty expired a few months ago, but it was 3 years of getting a repair guy sent to you warranty I think. So much better value for money than apple's policies, I guess they just really trust their own products.

I bought the laptop with 4GB of ram and a spinning rust drive and ordered an extra stick of RAM and an SSD somewhere else, think that saved me quite a decent amount of money, but I'm not sure if that's possible with the current models.

Still comfy as always and it still regularly gets BIOS updates for obscure security bugs (probably mostly because of heartbleed etc.). Feels good to have your laptop still supported after quite a bit of time.

Cons: thicc battery is cool for battery life but a bit bulky and heavy, keyboard and clit mouse leave imprints on the screen.
Also no light on the capslock key ffs.

All in all I think I'm just gonna keep this thing around forever because it just works and it seems pretty reliable.

>12.5" 1080p matte screen
>1.3 kg / 3 pounds
>i5 6300u, 8 GB RAM
>256 GB SSD
>Gigabit Ethernet, wifi ac
>excellent keyboard, backlit
>stays cool most of the time
>awesome bios
>looks nice
i'm in love with this thing

Attached: csm_E7270_offen_881c956c39.jpg (1141x1200, 327K)

you can still swap HDD for SSD on any model, and the newer one's still have socketed ram
Jow Forums memes aside the newer models are still true to the older ones, most people on Jow Forums are just poor

Why are modern thinkpad keyboards so shit looking? Original layout was pretty much perfect with more Fn key functions while keeping the mute, volume, and microphone as separate buttons from the keyboard. It wasn't like they were taking any space either. Do companies really think that having too many functions on a keyboard scares people away? Are they trying to make it more pretty and call it "streamlined" for a fucking business laptop? I hate the modern laptop market that tries to appeal to normies when really they don't give a shit what they use to type up their school paper or what their business gives them without a choice. Just copy everything Apple does and you're good.

looks sexy to me user
still the best keyboard on the market by a longshot

>Still comfy as always and it still regularly gets BIOS updates for obscure security bugs (probably mostly because of heartbleed etc.). Feels good to have your laptop still supported after quite a bit of time.
xx20 models got meltdown updates this year, and everything else you've said applies to them, on top of which T and W series have socketed CPUs that can be upgraded as well.
If you have a ULV CPU, it's almost on par with old sandy bridge chips (a tiny bit slower) so it's not really worth it, especially if you add the shitty keyboard you're getting as the part of the deal.