Hey Jow Forums

Hey Jow Forums,
Am considering buying a new laptop. Normie sites are telling me to get a XPS 13, but I figured I should take your word for it.
Heres a basic overview of what I want/do:
>Some basic dicking around with Unity, Visual Studio, Drawing, etc
>I would definitely want to dual-boot linux. Last Windows PC I bought just wouldnt work.
>SSD
>I dont do much gaming, as long as it runs most indie games smoothly then I’m good.
>Plenty of ports (Most PCs are fine in this regard anyways).
>Bluetooth
>Preferably less than €1500
>Survivable battery
And thats it.
hmu

Attached: 49B4EF76-5BAF-474F-99CE-9F21AA6E58D7.jpg (415x237, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-notebook-20ks003sus-thinkpad-e580-15-6-inch-core-i5-8250u-8gb-256gb-ssd-windows-10-pro-retail/12372479
m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-french-thinkpad-t480-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-8250u-256gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10-20l5000yca/12650798
m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-20kh002sus-14-lcd-ultrabook-intel-core-i5-8th-gen-i5-8250u-quad-core-4-core-1-60-ghz/12421771
m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-yoga-12-ultrabook-12-5-display-core-i7-5600u-8gb-ddr3-ram-240gb-ssd-win10-pro-refurbished/12948785
google.com/amp/s/www.cultofmac.com/262861/early-2011-macbook-pros-dropping-like-flies-heat-issues-blame/amp/
google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/the-2018-macbook-pro-has-a-problem-with-overheating/
youtube.com/watch?v=BnwB8Oh628Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For reference, I have a Lenovo Z570 Ideapad.
Pros:
>doesnt support windows 10 (windows 7 bitches)
>ideal amount of ports and variety
>keyboard has numberpad for blender
>mild emotional attachment
Cons:
>Harddrive slower than a Turing machine. Booting up takes like 3 minutes.
>Even after recent clear-up, runs slow af. Even with 8gb of RAM, can just manage to play minecraft after several crashes.

check out the librem 13 from purism. 99% free software (aside from intel management engine), great specs, and doesn't look autistic.

beware of dell laptops, every single one i've owned has a terrible coil whine which is seriously annoying and distracting, plus their customer support is utter trash.

ThinkPad E580 for maximum comfiness

Attached: 1522907209893.png (1082x695, 503K)

Go suck a bunch of donkey dicks OP

Bit too normie to buy a Prism brand, nothing to hide desu.

Actually seems like a good option. Always loved the little red button.
Design looks a bit... old tho.
Idk, its a bit sad that i’m put off by this bit the Lenovo on bottom right of screen and ThinkPad logo just looks kinda cheap.
Can you take these off?

Less than 1500 huh. Look at the Lenovo Y530 - part number 81FV00FSUK is £1299 has an SSD + hard drive, 16gb of ram, doesn't look too gamery but even has a 1050ti if you choose to play games. It also has plenty of ports, just on the back which personally I think is nice if you connect it to other shit, gets cables out of the way. Thin and light - the only thing you're really sacrificing is screen quality which isn't bad it's just not incredible.

Get a barebones xps 13 to show off to your clients and potential employers. Its a very pretty laptop. Then use the money you saved to buy a used thinkpad for actual work. You could probably even afford some upgrades for the thinkpad.
Xps for show. Thinkpad for work

At what point did he say he has clients? Don't buy a laptop for aesthetics.

Actually in the industry people are glib and care about aesthetics. All your clients are gonna have slim notebooks and macbooks. If you come into a meeting with a huge brick of a laptop then you will look like a sperg. This is why I recommended getting the most barebones xps13. Dont bother upgrading it at all. As long as it can internet and take notes ur good. Then use the thinkpad for work because working on a thin laptop is literal cancer. Unfortunately aesthetics matter to "business people"

Nah, the ThinPad logo is actually etched on to the plastic, don't come off.
My only complaint about the ThinkPad is, it's a bit thicker than most.
Otherwise, it's built like a tank and has a "real" keyboard.

Dont feel like browsing atm.

Seems pretty serious, yet I like the look of it. Will consider. Again, more of a console guy for “heavy” gaming.

>Dicking around with unity and visual studio makes you a business person

Looks like you're describing a ThinkPad. They got plenty o' ports and removable batteries (excluding X series). My friend just bought a Huawei Matebook X Pro, which is pretty much a better, cheaper version of the Dell XPS and I'll have to say, it's pretty nice. Despite being Chinese, I'd look into it.

>Dual boot linux
There isn't much point in doing this anymore, as it needlessly complicates a lot of things. You'll most likely be using one or the other, not both. A better solution would be virtualizing the other OS in a VM, i.e. Linux host with Windows VM via qemu or Windows host with a Linux VM via Hyper-V. This way, Windows 10 updates don't randomly wipe your bootloader, forcing you to spend hours repairing everything

OP here.
Pretty much. However I do like a fairly non-sperg design. Main reason I’d lean a bit away from thinkpads, even though I love their red button on their keyboard.
Damn a nicer looking ThinkPad should be out by now, but with the glorious red button.

Good idea actually. Current Laptop was just too dang slow to really run a VM reasonably.

There are cheaper models if that's your concern. Alternatively look a the thinkpad yoga and carbon

Trust me bro/OP/
600 for the bare bones xps 13
500 for a used thinkpad plus upgrades
You cant go wrong plus you will be 400 dollars under your budget.
You will have a nice flashy laptop to impress people with and a laptop that can do actual work and wont make your fingers bleed from typing. Nothing,wrong with having more,than one laptop.

>Normie sites are telling me to get a XPS 13, but I figured I should take your word for it.

>implying this isn't one of those sites

Oddly enough, the main reason I’d be attracted to the Yoga is it’s nigh-invisible logo. Not really sure a 2 in 1 would help me much but maybe good for drawing/play-testing for iOS/android.

I think putting this bluntly is the best way to get this out of the way:
I am a student
I dont have clients yet
And I sure as hell dont need two laptops.

I just find the ThinkPad logo hard to get used to, especially with my normie parents paying for it.
In fact, my dad hated his ThinkPad for a un-brand-related reason and would probably laugh his ass off at the thinkpad logo. Idk maybe it isn’t that bad. I’ll ask him about it, but even I have a peeve against the logo.

Actually thinkpads are all game now

...so E580 lads?
Again, find Yoga a little unnecessary with 2/1. Y530 also seems good, has style as well, not like that really matters much anymore tho

X1 Carbon 6th gen base model or T480s they are on sale now.

If u are getting one laptop think about how shitty your life will be typing on tiny chicklet keys for hours. Honestly the thinkpad is ur best bet. Typing for hours and hours on end with a xps is going to make you want to cut your fingers off.

>taking Jow Forums's advice on buying a laptop

unless you want an antiquated thinkpad running freetard software, get a macbook.

Thinkpads are actually great laptops. They are durable. Have excellent keyboards for long typing sessions, and they are upgradable. Macbooks are shit. They are designed to break. They arent upgradable. They have glued in batteries. We Don't recommend thinkpads because of some dumb meme. Thinkpads are great business laptops.

2015 Macbook has two thunderbolt ports, hdmi port, sd card port, two usb 3 ports, and can be opened up and replace parts manually. it is literally the epitome of laptops. on top of all that it has a beautiful 1800p retina display. The only thinkpad I like is the X1 carbon, but I would rather use MacOS where everything just werks and has a huge support system than linux where I have to create a ugly xrandr script to get a second monitor to scale half properly

OP here.
I touched my sisters MacBook once and hated it, sorry.

Windows/Mint are just scorched in my head at this point. OS just doesn’t work for me. And even though you can change it in settings, I really struggle without a mouse or my lovely little red button

well if that is how you are going to judge a laptop's performance and usability than i assume your just going to be watching youtube and posting on Jow Forums with it so it doesnt really matter what you get. i use my macbook as development and design tool

Oh yeah forgot to mention
Thinkpads especially used ones are incredibly cheap. You can often get a fairly new used t series thinkpad for less than 250 dollars. A new MacBook is minimum 1000 dollars. Price also matters. I bought a used t540p for 200 dollars. I also bought some upgrades
Trackpad with physical buttons $20
I7 4700MQ $70
IPS 1080p screen $100
1tb ssd plus caddy $100
Total price under 500 dollars
For a fairly powerful workhorse laptop with a steel rollcage excellent keyboard and durable design. MacBook have plastic brackets, no vents, glued screens and glued batteries. They are overpriced and have a 3 year life cycle. My T540p will probably last me 7 to 8 years for one sixth the price.(getting 8 threads and 16GB of ram on a MacBook is gonna run you over 2.5k) It is also built for comfy long typing sessions. The battery is literally plug and play. And the laptop is easy to disassemble.
If my Wi-Fi card breaks it will be cheap and easy to replace. Hard drive failure? No prob easy to replace. Screen breaks? Easy and cheap to replace.

i said in my previous post i was talking about the 2015 and older macbook pros, which where designed with performance and productivity in mind, whereas the 2016+ macbook pros where all designed for boomer normies who get hard over the touch bar

and i bought 16 gb of ram for my macbook for less than $100

OP here
This.

Based OP.
You decided on the Thinkpad, but the only question now is what futa-loli you are going to use as your wallpaper?

OP here again.
Please don’t turn this into a Mac vs PC thread. Personally, I don’t really use Mac, but my sister loves it.
Mac nae
PC yay
Sorry Apple, I carry around a iPhone SE if it’s any nourishment

Wrong. Just wrong. Macbooks have been shit for alot longer than 3 years. Look up,the gpu fiasco for 2011 models. These things are designed to break. Apple does not respect its consumers. They want to lock you into an expensive scheme where you pay exorbitant amounts just to have a working laptop.

i use a 2012 macbook pro daily for the past 6 years, and after a ram upgrade and ssd upgrade, it performs better than the day I got it.

Quick list of options thus far:
E580
m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-notebook-20ks003sus-thinkpad-e580-15-6-inch-core-i5-8250u-8gb-256gb-ssd-windows-10-pro-retail/12372479
T480
m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-french-thinkpad-t480-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-8250u-256gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10-20l5000yca/12650798
X1 Carbon
m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-20kh002sus-14-lcd-ultrabook-intel-core-i5-8th-gen-i5-8250u-quad-core-4-core-1-60-ghz/12421771
And finally the yoga
m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-yoga-12-ultrabook-12-5-display-core-i7-5600u-8gb-ddr3-ram-240gb-ssd-win10-pro-refurbished/12948785
*on sale!*
Thoughts?

google.com/amp/s/www.cultofmac.com/262861/early-2011-macbook-pros-dropping-like-flies-heat-issues-blame/amp/

google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/the-2018-macbook-pro-has-a-problem-with-overheating/

Wow its almost as if apple never fixed heat issues.

Id recommend buying a used thinkpad t series. You can get a much better machine for a lot less. Ebay is your best friend. Buy from trusted sellers

Here is an informative video comparing your options: youtube.com/watch?v=BnwB8Oh628Q

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (246x138, 15K)

>install fan control app
>control the individual RPMs of your fans
>Macbook stays below 65 degrees always

This guy was a tech lead at Google. He knows whats up.

And where is that air blowing? Where are your vents kid? Dont bullshit me.

...mostly did Best Buy since it’s the only real supplier nearby.
Worth shipping/risk of ripoff?
Price isn’t *too much* of an issue desu. Would rather have a definite plain T480 then a sketchy used laptop.
Haven’t really used eBay much before desu, just don’t trust people I guess

ryzen 2700u

The fans are on the back of the laptop, where the air blows out. its pretty simple.

Poast vents

I bought the overpriced surface book 2. My only complaint is that it doesnt have a thunderbolt 3 port.
256gb ssd is good enough and I have a microsd card qi adapter with