It’s gonna make a comeback, right?

It’s gonna make a comeback, right?

Attached: JPEG image.jpg (2048x1536, 1.06M)

>old
>heavy
>finnicky
>can kill yourself by opening it
>causes eye cancer
>takes up too much fucking space on a desk

No. Jow Forums might jack off over CRT shit, but it's dead and gone.

>crack it
>it implodes, glass bounces off itself and back at the viewer
>pick leaded glass out of your face and eyes
>but dem colors tho

Yes OP, and everybody will be using Linux too. And Apple will have gone out of business because everybody discovered 2006-era Thinkpads.

Thanks to crowdfunding, probably in a few decades.

"CRT > LCD
Suck it LCDFags"

Sorry it was 2009 for a moment

>old
Not an argument.
>heavy
It’s not like you move it every day.
>finicky
How’s this bad?
>causes eye cancer
Unproven.
>takes up too much fucking space on a desk
Stop being a numale bitching that your phone is 0.5mm less thin than the latest icrap.

The best timeline.

mLED > CRT > OLED > Plasma > LED

Nobody who actually used CRT as their daily driver is nostalgic about that flickering crap.

Zoomers be like "Is that a fusion reactor?"

Wrong. Nothing will ever look like a 20" CRT monitor at 1024x768. It's pure nostalgic bliss.

>flickering
Literally not an issue at 200Hz

Lads I just found some stuff that was gonna be thrown away at my university, they said I can have it if I want, there's a 1989 CRT TV with only antenna input, and then another 1996 CRT and what I assume is its PCB, but without a case. Thinking maybe I could do something cool with them, any ideas?

> 200Hz
at 640x480, you forgot to say

Attached: 11142617.jpg (930x573, 45K)

use the CRT monitor

They were okay, but I much prefer the newer monitors.

>Nothing will ever look like a 20" CRT monitor at 1024x768
And thank god for that. I'll take a nice 27" IPS panel at 3840x2160 over that any day.

True, except some very high quality crts, that were used in photo and video productions, they were quite nice (except their price). Everything else was garbage.

>go outside
>trip on sidewalk and die from head concussion

>head concussion
As opposed to what, an ass concussion?

No one is ever going to raise enough capital to make new tubes

Attached: 8D6AE666-3CE6-4192-B068-466248F4F765.png (310x395, 178K)

Let's pretend we're serious. What could be the reason to bring them back? None of their advantages seem major enough to me.

when i finally bought an lcd i took my crt outside and set it on fire because im cool

You need to be 18 or older to post here

>gonna make a comeback
no. it was garbage then and it's still garbage now. I'll take my 4k IPS over CRTs any time.

>everybody will be using Linux too
This is inevitable. All we need is the right major crisis caused by Windows malware and the nations will accept the GNU World Order

agreed 27" 4k IPS really is very nice

you can use it as a weapon if you live in a tall building and there's someone down on the street you don't like.

maybe if civilization crashes and indium runs out

>everyone will be using Linux
Then Jow Forums will inevitably move to another super-niche OS since they're a bunch of contrarians.
>Apple will go out of business
I'm sure another company will take its place.
>everybody discovered 2006-era thinkpads
See my first statement.

yes

>muh scanlines
>muh response time
>everyone wanting crts back looks like pic related

Attached: hubby_points.jpg (898x617, 158K)

how are you supposed to get display port and hdmi working on this dinosaur. my gpu doesn't even come with a vga or dvi port anymoer

I wish, user. It makes me so sad that the coolest display technology of all time is dead. No more CR tubes are being manufactured anymore. The last company to make them sold their equipment to some Chinese firm who have been unsuccessful in performing the winding process to connect the tube to the gun assembly.

I've been stockpiling nice ones lately so I have enough to last me a long while. I've got 8 of them now.

More colors. Better blacks. It's not an advantage if you don't care about quality.

>mLED
Ten years until it becomes affordable, if ever
>CRT
Dead
>OLED
Best realistic option, but burn in
>Plasma
Dead
>LED
You mean LCD, and yes it's crap

> more colors
> better blacks
go suck some dicks roastie

This is probably the most convincing one. I picked up some monitors from a TV production company and they still use some CRTs for critical monitoring even though they got new LCD monitors too.

No, they look like shit. I don't care about black levels. I want something that doesn't constantly look blurry and fuzzy.

Attached: 1484088501733.jpg (320x286, 29K)

>wanting your image sharpness to degrade over time

>everyone wanting crts back looks like pic related
i dont look like that

Attached: 1534543867496.png (673x842, 324K)

When do SED patents expire?

>don't talk to me, my wife, her boyfriend, or my wife's son ever again

Overrated.
High failure rate.
You want a Mitsubishi diamondtron m8.

our diamondtron superbrights would last about 18 months. they might have lived longer if cats hadn't liked them so much.

Attached: 1294417809255.png (606x414, 13K)

It would only take a couple million (maybe a dozen if we include inflammation), especially in the future, China will be even more cheap and there will be more people wanting it.

They use those because they don't want to replace decades old infrastructure.
>CRT
>Accurate colors and better blacks
Pick one

But they are replacing it. I got the monitors because of that. I talked with the guy at the studio and it's what he told me.

You're clueless if you don't think crt's have the best blacks.

LCD displays have lower color gamuts.

i miss plasma

Doubt it, but I like that. Although it would be cool if they continued developing the technology, making it thinner. Imagine a crt smartphone.
That's all true minus the eye cancer part

Yeah it's old and heavy and it runs hot and stuff, but oh man, my hunt for a perfect monitor is finally over. It has an infinite viewing angle, dark blacks, perfect motion blur reduction, and old school content looks better on it than an lcd. Somehow, it looks even sharper at lower resolutions. After trying a 180hz tn with bad color, and an ips with bad motion blur, I've come to like my 130khz viewsonic g225f crt so much that it is now my center monitor.

Attached: 20181013_162921.jpg (5312x2988, 2.4M)

RoHS compliance killed CRTs. That's the main reason why LCDs took over the cheap monitor market.

>You need to be 18 or older to post here
and I am, CRT-fag
you need to understand that your favourite display technology is fucking old, dead-ended, heavy, hazardous for humans and natural environment

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

>CRT
>Accurate colors and better blacks
Pick one
also
>CRT
>accurate screen alignment
Pick one

Reality check, user. I bought my first LCD monitor about 14 years ago. There are people who grew up with nothing but LCD who are 18 now.
CRT has been outdated for that long.

You forgot how long a good CRT lasts, and how repairable they are. More LCDs would end up in a landfill every year than CRTs.

>You forgot how long a good CRT lasts, and how repairable they are. More LCDs would end up in a landfill every year than
Yes, I truly forgot - out of 5 "good" CRTs I had, only 1 survived, the rest just didn't start anymore, while 4 LCDs I own (oldest one is from 2004) still works good

there will be a kickstarter for one within a year you can get HDMI to Analogue converters now with only 0.2ms lag so you could have a literal HDMI or DP on it.

At the moment I'm most worried about getting replacement flyback transformers.
I had my Phillips CM8833 repaired about 8 years ago and the repairman said it was almost impossible to get the parts then.

Attached: a1200.jpg (2894x2183, 1.55M)

but on the digital displays, you have to buffer entire frames before the GPU can send the data to the monitor. most other converters ive heard of also require the data of the entire frame to be sent for the timings for VGA to be calculated. so therefore every active converter should be about a frame behind always.

superior technology

Attached: 1274474073145.jpg (424x424, 104K)

>Imagine a crt smartphone.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

>flickering
You know how I can tell that you've only seen CRTs in Youtube videos?

Where can I watch people getting killed by CRTs? Asking for a friend

>while 4 LCDs I own (oldest one is from 2004) still works good

LCDs gradually lose brightness over time. It definitely doesn't work good if you've been using it for that long.

Is it possible with new technology to condense the tubing used for crts in a much smaller space? At least in theory right?

Probably not much more than the short-depth TVs that were around in the last days of CRTs. SED/FED were the attempts to turn CRT into a flat panel technology, but those are both effectively dead.

Might've been true in 2008, but CRTs have been pretty much abandoned while other display technologies have continued progressing.
Are you on drugs?
What sort of alignment do you expect from a literal canon?

Not really, to keep the picture quality and refresh rate high, you need powerful tubes and a screen that isn't too big comparably, which is physically Impossible in a modern form factor with CRT technology. CRTs are very awesome in the way they work, but with small tubes and a big ass screen, it just won't work good. Using more tubes , it is theoretically possible, but then it's going to be hard to keep the whole picture consistent, provide enough power without needing a dedicated nuclear reactor and it's going to be a lot harder to keep it working for long. It's also still going to be a huge monstrosity.

Had one of those growing up, it was fucking awesome watching cartoons during recess, until 6 or 7 kids started huddling around me to try and watch He-Man on a 3" black and white screen.

>>takes up too much fucking space on a desk
>not mounting the CRT in your wall so only the screen can be seen
lmao

>More colors. Better blacks. It's not an advantage if you don't care about quality.
It's like I'm reading a post from an audiophile about plankton.

Confirmed for 12 years old.

CRT is a much better technology than LCD.

1) Perfect black levels
2) Flawless off-axis viewing
3) Much faster refresh rate than LCD
4) Warmer, more natural image (thanks to scan lines and small granules)
5) Far longer life-span
6) Not subject to manufacture problems such as dead-pixels
7) Good range of compatibility with lower or non-standard resolutions without blurring

Given ultimate space and money the world's best CRT could easily crush the world's best LCD. So tell me Jow Forums, why do you like your inferior screens that companies such as Samsung have brainwashed you to think is better than what already existed? The only cost-savings are on their end.

And the funny thing is you guys keep buying this crappy LCD technology and giving away your free CRTs on Craigslist. A fool and his dollar are soon parted I guess.

And before you start yapping about IPS panels:
Enjoy your slow G2G response to switch pixels already, not to mention that hidden input and scalar lag. Luckily, CRT has no such bullshit

The only semi-legitimate point I've heard against CRTs regards weight, but you don't bitch about the weight of a prospective couch while furniture shopping, do you? Didn't think so.

Attached: crt_comparison.jpg (1024x768, 74K)

This is an urban myth. Some of the later models had better components but they still had issues like blooming (the screen would expand and contract depending how bright the image on the screen was), flickering, afterglow (when you switched it off it was NOT pure black for several seconds if not minutes so the whole better blacks is a falsehood). High power consumption (heaters). Heavy and bulky. Getting the screen flat was never as good as LCD. They were also prone to fail more and resolution was low (larger HD displays were fucking expensive). Walking in to smell the hot electronics every day made you wonder if you were being poisoned.

CRT faggots are living in a nostalgia bubble.

Oh and I forgot discoloration. God forbid your child put a magnet near one requiring a degauss.

>unproven
Not him, but there's a reason 90% of the anons using this board have glasses.

I wonder if most of the people who fetishise CRTs are actually old enough to have had to live with them for decades. Good riddance to them imo.

OLED kicks it to the curb. However, I do miss hearing the crt screen start up and shut down.

Most CRTs were fucking terrible, just like how most LCDs are fucking terrible. You get what you pay for, unfortunately, and so all the CRTs I've used were riddled with issues that aren't present in the LCDs I've used.
Because of that, I really don't miss the CRT days.

>early 2000s TN panel
Great comparison.

The only issue (other than cost) is screen retention and possible image burn. But if you take care of it you should not have that issue. Right now for computer and 'heavy' gaming use though it's a no no.
Luckily I only use mine for movies etc so do not give a flying fuck and my Freesync 27" 1440p IPS is 'good enough'.

Yeah they post that shit all of the time. Now compare to a good 2018 VA panel.

Seething nigger tries his best to defend shitty old tech

enjoy your old tech faggot the rest of us have moved on

Pretty much all advancements in display technology have been them trying to recreate the CRT in lightweight, flat panel form.

the thing about black levels are still true

Attached: chadcrtvsvirginlcd.jpg (632x943, 95K)

Why the fuck are retards like this allowed to just go on the internet and spout nonsense?

He's right, though

One day, all the CRTs in old arcade cabinents will be dead. Hopefully more will get produced just for that market. Especially the vector graphic tubes. Asteroids just isn't the same on a pixel display

wrong, we look like boomers not numales

This.

>Hopefully more will get produced just for that market

Doubtful. Nobody wants to manufacture CRTs anymore so all the manufacturing equipment that was shipped off the China and India has probably been destroyed or gutted. The expense of recreating all that equipment from scratch would be huge, meaning the displays would be unaffordable. Hell, it's questionable if manufacturing CRTs in the US would even be legally allowed under environmental protection laws unless they can show a dire need in a specific industry.

>even be legally allowed under environmental protection laws unless they can show a dire need in a specific industry.
well im pretty sure that in displays for radar that CRTs are used, though they'd be like 5 inch 1:1 tubes.

>living in paper house

I absolutely love my CRT monitor. I mostly have it put away since I don't have room to have it out. When I do pull it out, I'll hook my Sega Dreamcast to it and with my Logitech 2.1 speakers I'll play crazy taxi. I swear it's an awesome experience. I'll also hook up my PC to it and play some DOS games. It really looks awesome when I run the SegaCD 1.0 BIOS on the CRT. I might post pictures in the morning if this is still up.

Based CRT thruthbomb dropper.

What are you talking about?
Crt's last forever, I have a van full of old crt tv's and monitors from the 80s to 2006.
The only crt I ever had "die" on me was one of those crt/vcr combos where the vcr kept turning off the tv for some reason I could never find out.

i use glasses and only used LED displays

Sounds like your ass is concussed