Are SSD prices justified or are they artificially marked up?

Are SSD prices justified or are they artificially marked up?

Attached: Opera Snapshot_2018-10-20_175248_www.ebay.com.png (1068x470, 399K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179270
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The prices are justified as SSDs don't die on failure but go into read-only mode. Your data is safe on SSDs

You're paying more for the speed. SSD prices are dropping anyways..

but SSDs only have a limited number of writes to the disk.

The price is justified if someone is willing to pay it. Purchasing implies a value claim, that what you will gain is worth more to you than what you will lose, and vice versa for the seller. We cannot make that evaluation for you. "Aritificial mark up" can only be acheived by interference from a third party. Charging more due to a lack of competition is not an artificial mark up.
I personally find they are worth their going price because I value digital storage drives that don't go tits up when used in a moving vehicle.

Sure. Unlike living things, tech in general usually can't just regenerate damage.

Isn't that the point of RAIDs?

so do HDDs

.. yet.

Attached: 280706152x.png (370x320, 26K)

>A magnetic platter can be only be magnetized a finite number of times
Retard

Good point. I think replacing or adding drives is better than, like, transplanting organs or limbs, but not quite as good as natural healing simply taking care of bruises/cuts/whatever.
That's the spirit. Self-healing tech is where it's at.

It's true. My drive lost its rotational velocidensity and my music ruined.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179270

SSD memes are overpriced garbage that has significantly less storage capacity than HDDs

That's what you deserve for using mp3

because they are faster

you can get like a 500GiB tlc drive for like 80 dollars right now. some of the 30 year old boomers on this board probably remember when hard drives costed that much

>limited number of writes
When will this meme end?
Unless your overwriting the drive multiple times a day a SSD will last damn near forever.

I can nearly buy two 8tb drives for that price

idk about you but i'm glad we're now in an age where storage lifetime can be firmly quantified by the amount of data throughput, and not by "well it should work until it starts clicking, and maybe for a little bit after that"

These.
SSDs last until the last write and then they safely go into read-only mode.
Unlike HDDs which can die any moment.
A SSD dying before its time is unheard of

We're still not in that era.
Flash storage write endurance is just the mean writes to failure. Sometimes the flash dies prematurely, sometimes it keeps going for another couple thousand writes.

My friend had a one year old SSD crap out in his laptop yesterday, definitely not unheard of.

seems like a fair price for a NVMe drive.

I had a SSD crap out on me but it didn't die to the point where it couldn't boot or be read by the BIOs. It just got extremely slow at writing things.

Jesus, why didn't anyone tell me that SSD prices have tanked so hard? Just found some 850 Evo 1TBs for almost half what they cost a year ago. Snatching them up asap.

Happened to a friend of mine on only one drive and it was one of the early OCZ pieces of shit that had faulty firmware. I had a few of those and they still run great. Meanwhile Seagate platters had failure rates of almost 25% for while.

>b-but ssds can fail too

Attached: hdds.png (655x552, 125K)

Except when the controller shits itself or the PSU fucks up and fries everything connected to it.
>A SSD dying before its time is unheard of
pic related

>what is S.M.A.R.T.

>argument from incredulity

idk about you but I'd rather have my programs open 10x faster than have an extra 7 terabytes of space I'll never use.

Attached: file.png (327x316, 203K)

>what is S.M.A.R.T.
something that tells you that yes, your drive is dead after it dies

Why come HGST thousand time folded nipponese steel drives never fail?

>or are they artificially marked up?
They are cheaper to manufacture than mechanical drives, if that's what you are asking.

HGST learned their lesson. They used to have shitty drives.

>Check SMART status
>80 dead sectors, 120 relocated
>Derp-a-duhr, better keep using this drive, it's not dead yet.

Ok so explain the insane prices

All of these companies go through phases of good and bad where the end result is always better HDDs. You're probably too young to remember Deathstars but after that they turned it around. Seagate has done the same thing as of late after the STD3000 debacle but they actually improved their entire line due to that not just the desktop class drive. WD Reds are currently shitting the bed so it looks like they're up next for this cycle. I would guess this was due to increasing production after people quit buying Seagate and quality dropped as they scaled up and cut corners. Though, they now own HGST, so perhaps there will just be some sort of merger. It's my understanding that there's already some shared tech.

>80 bad sectors out of several millions
Surely the drive is dead

R&D

It's because the most profitable use for the materials are tablets and phones. Your prices are driven up by the demand of clueless normalfags. Capitalism, ho!

Once they start dying though, it's probably time to start looking at a replacement.
My 2012 laptop's HDD has like 7 dead sectors.

Do you fags still buy mechanical drives. Isnt data recovery on SSD virtually impossible

>Have a SSD for several years
>Use it as an OS drive (windows 7/10)
>Fell for this meme a while ago
>Decide I should check to see how the health of the SSD is doing
>Drive is still at 80%

I have working HDDs from 2001

SSD destroy HDDs for stuff that needs access speed and I/O throughput.

It is a night and day difference. HDDs are only good for bulk data storage that doesn't need access speed and high amount of I/O throughput (p0rn, movies, older games, photos etc).

I had one up until last year too. It finally started to quit on me.

SSD price correlates with memory price, because SSDs are made from memory.

True but i've torrented at least 20GB data weekly not excluding read/upload for over 5 years on my low tier 128GB SSD which comes with a 3 years warranty and it still runs at good health. It's proved its worth more than i've paid for it. I've planned to buy a 500GB SSD for buffer storage soon.

Check back in 2019 OP, SSD prices are crashing _right now_. Look at the Crucial/Micron BX drives - QLC NAND so reliability is shit, but holy crap is it cheap.

Samsung's starting volume production of QLC this quarter, expect the 880/980 series based on that to be out next year.

2019 is the year of the SSD.

Thank the chinks for that. They flooded the market with their own NAND chips.

Data recovery is a meme
Make regular backups, both on and offsite

Newer technologies cost more.
More news at 11.

I have working HDDs from the 80s
Anecdotes don't mean we're not just incredibly lucky. I have a working drive from my 1998 Thinkpad that SMART has been giving Red warnings on for years and it hasn't stopped.

You're making fun of the guy who thinks SMART is useless, right? 80 bad sectors and they've been reallocated means your data is fine. It also means it's time to get that shit replaced before it gets worse.

>snatching them up now
Wait until 2019. QLC will tank SSD prices hard.

>I have working HDDs from the 80s
You still have your drive controller extension card, grandpa?

I paid 100 bucks for my samsung 830 128 GB in 2012. I think it's scaling well right now.

Go ahead make fun, I deserve it
Yes I'm one of those hipster fags that plays old games on native hardware

>Go ahead make fun, I deserve it
Wait a second. You do?
>native hardware
This absolute madman runs CPUs with voltages that would instantly fry any modern one and they don't even need fucking coolers

SSDs are worth it at almost any price. They are the biggest innovation since dual core CPUs.