Anyone here got an AMD GPU?

Who here got an AMD GPU (Mostly for gayming) and why did you chose it over Nvidia?

I have a Sapphire Pules RX 580 8GB for about £250. I got it because the Nvidia options available were either lower spec or too expensive (I was doing a build that had quality parts so I saved on the GPU to upgrade later, most likely to Nvidia). Plus the first Pc that I had built for me was AMD so I was just used to the platform. I wanted comfort on my first solo build so I stuck to what I knew.

Attached: 61EsTrsJZ5L._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1038207/linux/please-lift-numa-dependency-of-cuda-or-provide-a-test-for-it-in-the-installer-and-kernel-module/
github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I got an AMD GPU.
It's as good as a fucking 1070 (as a 1070Ti in some cases) for 1/3rd of the price of an Nvigoy GPU

I sometimes feel like I should've waited and get this over a 1060 3GB.
Then I remember I only have a 450W PSU.

I think AMD is king at Mid-range cards, no point to Nvidia unless you wanna throw money at it

Have a 1060 6gb, had a 280x, msi held my 280 hostage for 3 months before giving me a 1060 6gb

Fucking hate this card, but amd is a side grade at the moment, going to get navi most likely.

Fucking nvidia drivers are what gets me the most, how are these things considered good?

Yeah they're power hogs, most annoying thing about them

I own like 4 AMD GPUs, for various reason.
I refuse to be cucked by novidia. AMD is better value and runs extremely well on Linux.

I have two RX 580s that are sitting around doing nothing. They're decent cards, but I also have a 1080 Ti, so there's no reason to actually use them.

A 450W PSU is more than enough to power an RX 580, so long as it isn't complete dog shit.

i hate myself every day for buying the 1060
After reading and watching all the shit nvidia has done in the past to legally murder the opposition i feel like an accomplice in crime
i wish i had gotten a 580 instead

I bought my 390 when it came out as its performance was the same as a 970 but it was a lot cheaper. I regret the decision as there has been countless driver issues since.

That's fair, might as well use the TI if you have one it's gonna be the best experience
Just cause 3 was very good on AMD

I just lost an entire Saturday today because of trying to get CUDA working on Linux and apparently, there is a bug where if your kernel was not configured for NUMA like enterprise server racks, you would never had the nvidia-uvm module load up and all attempt to get NUMA working fails, they only fixed this in the latest drivers which isn't packaged anywhere so I spent more time trying to install that.

devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1038207/linux/please-lift-numa-dependency-of-cuda-or-provide-a-test-for-it-in-the-installer-and-kernel-module/

I'm using a 4gb RX 570. it's cheaper than nvidia and it works good for what I do with it

nvidia feels like asian engineering and amd is like bulgarian or something

Got a Vega RX 64 here because I got a quality Freesync montior on hand.

It is beastly GPU that is crippled by software limitations if anything else. The ironic part is that it will be considerable faster than 1080 once Async shading and DX12 take over due to Turing.

Cheaper.

Unless you have a CPU from before 2009 a 450W is more than enough for RX580. They will push around 220W if you overclock it.

I think it's real shitty that Nvidia makes G-Sync monitors have a proprietary chip in them to work, just greedy (Nice repost I replied well)

I got a 390x 3 years ago.
At the time I was looking for card with 8GB memory (for VR gaming) and it was the best choice.
Still pretty happy with it, runs everything I throw at it. The only game I had trouble running on high settings was Battlefield1, so I had to lower graphics to get at least 60fps. Also Mafia3 ran terribly, but that game was unoptimized mess anyway. I'm running 1440p though, for 1080p it'd still be a viable option.

Attached: R9-390X-1[1].jpg (640x425, 224K)

Are there any well built laptops that come with those cards in? All the good quality laptops seem to be Nvidia.

Inb4 just check a desktop, I work away 4 nights of the week and like to game at the hotel

>
Nvidia puts far more into Laptop GPU's since they focus GPU's in general, the ones AMD have tend to just be basic ones built into the CPU since the CPU is their focus on laptops. Nvidia focusing on GPU tech means they have more to put into that area

I have a RX Vega 64.
Freesync is why I went this route.

So it's not a good idea from the sounds of things..

I'm going to get a max q then I think. Idea of temp throttles appeals, hot laptops are shit

Might be different with Ryzen but I haven't followed laptop developments recently. you would have to look at performance with the new Ryzen based GPU's. Plus, Nvidia GPU means intel and $$$

R9 290 (watercooled)
Beautiful gaming performance, even in 2018.

I would like to start exploring tensor flow... does anyone knows a way to use this card for that?

I have a 8gb 480, bought because it was a bit cheaper than the 1060 and I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy.
My only regret is that amd is dogshit when it comes to machine learning.

Got myself a r9 390 a few years ago. Served me well until I replaced it with a Titian Z which I got it for free.

github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm

I gambled on a 980ti for $250 and it's held up fine for the year I've had it. My HD7950 was getting long in the tooth and would artifact over 1150/1450.

My old 7970 was feeling a bit slow in some newer games, but I wasn't really in the market for a new Card quite yet.
Grabbed a eBay gift card for free though a long story, couldn't find anything I wanted, so grabbed an Asus 580 (The 3 fan version, as the current 2 fan ones have shit reviews). Still under MFG warranty too.

I got my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB for about £190. Feel good man.

Attached: Nitro+ RX580 8GB.jpg (4608x2592, 782K)

I've got a Nitro+ 580
it's fucking tops mate

just got an msi rx 580 oc edition. haven't built my system yet so i can't speak to it's quality, but damn is it a looker

shit i meant 560

Year and half bought 1050 instead of 460 because Deus Ex MD was not supporting Radeon cards on Linux.

Had gigabyte 6770 sent to rma 3 times with the same issue, each time they replaced it with a new card, unfortunaly i was very young and didn't know my rights, shouldva asked for money return instantly.
After 3th time i got my money back and bought 7770 instead, worked fine.
Sold 7770 later, the guy i sold it to tells me it was broken for him and he had to rma it...
Got myself a new sapphire 7870 with a brand new pc, worked fine for 3 years of heavy abuse, sold it.
Got a new pc with AMD sapphire fury, it was fucking dead after 2 months...
Got a new one almost a year later it breaks again, i kept getting black screen no signal.
Sent it to rma, they told me no issue found, but somehow it's fine for 2 months now,
i think i should stop buying amd products tho.

Attached: IMG_20180827_165514.jpg (3264x2448, 1.48M)

how the fuck did you kill a Sapphire Fury? you must have been using a shit power supply or your case had zero ventilation and completely fucked your card via heatsoak

So is getting an amd cpu and an nvidia GPU a bad idea?

I currently have a GTX 980Ti but my panel is a 75HZ and has free sync so I'm sincerely looking at getting a decent RX580 for cheap just for freesync

I got many bad case fan in the past too. Turn out it actually my PSU that gone bad, not the fans.
You should check if it really a faulty GPU, not other components.

Pretty much what said. The mid range cards are really good for the price, and AMD cares enough about Linux to publish free quality drivers right into the kernel. RX 560 here.

I have a Sapphire Nitro V64. Got it last year to do mining, and I've been using it this year for gaming.
Had a Sapphire Fury before this, which I slipped into a second PC for extra mining.

Which gaymd card trades blows with the 1070 and costs 1/3 as much? fucking cunt

R9 270X
I bought it over an Nvidia card because of sales.
Had an Nvidia card been on sale that was better than an AMD card, I'd have probably bought it.
I'm not about to be some loyalist to a brand, so whatever is cheaper.

Vega 56. Freesync and also fuck Nvidia

7950 died so got a 380 to replace it which was pretty much the same performance wise. Would the 580 be much of an upgrade?

I have two 290x and two 1080.

They get the same performance in everything I've tried, generally speaking. Only the 290x eats 4x the power and heats the room up 15f.

absolutely, you autist

I have Freesync monitor and AMD, but never bothered to turn it on. From my understanding it prevents screen tear, but if I don't experience any of that, I should I still use it?

Used to have a R9 390 but i sold it during a mining boom for like $500 and got a GTX 970 for $150.

Attached: 04b02ee2ef6b313d9dd849d644ee5ad2.png (696x678, 174K)

Why am I an autist? I've talked to girls before and don't have cereal for dinner.

It's more difficult to notice at higher frames, but the wider range of frames your game runs at, the more evident the tearing will be. e.g. You might notice tearing when you're usually at 60fps but dip to 40 occasionally. I'd say it's worth it.

I have a Sapphire 7850 2G, and an MSI 290x 4G.

The 7850 is my favourite card ever, quiet and got the job done. I only upgraded once Fallout 4 came out, but I still use it in a home theatre system.

Probably won't upgrade until AMD 7nm cards get their first revision (so 2022 or beyond). I'll always stick with team red.

I have a vega 64.
I might upgrade when the next gen of vegas are released but it really depends

Vega64, OC'd it as well.
I'd rather not give money to company who plainly doesn't care about me or anyone else but themselves.

I'd rather have at least 2 companies who are trying to out innovate each other rather than one shitting on the other constantly.

Here's hoping amd 7nm hits before nvidia mid range gpus for the 2000 do, really want off nvidia before they backburner the 1000 hard.

I would have linux going and pcie pass through if I had 2 good gpus.

there is very little you cant toss at a 390x and not max out near everything, usually its shadows and vegetation that fuck you over, but thats almost any gpu at this point, some are just powerful enough to not care.

Freesync + Vega 56. Paid £500 for the 27" 1440p IPS monitor plus £380 for the Vega 56. Flashed it to 64 BIOS and tweaked it. Get great performance for much less than Nvidia + Goysync and their shitty walled garden.

Because it looks cool

It was also cheaper than the 970 at the time and has 5.5gb more VRAM

Attached: Sapphire_Nitro_R9_390_3.png (879x640, 155K)

>Because it looks cool
But in true they are hot as fuck.

*truth

Turn it on. There is no reason not to. You gain. Not lose anything.

Not really though? Mine idles at 45c with no fans running at and at max load only reaches around 67-72c

Won't deny it sucks a lot of power though, but the cooler on it does an excellent job of heat dissipation

Been ati users since ati 7500. Yeah some issue's left and right, like source engine black purple texture, mouse cursor issues, low fps at nvidia sponsored game (they fixed kinda long desu). But it's cheaper than nvidia offers almost cost half somehow.

970 has 4GB, just a slower 512MB partition
5.5 + 3.5 isn't 8
Sapphire a cute

I regret selling my Tri-X 290 pre-mining craze :(

Oops lol. That last 512mb is useless though.

I have a Nitro+ Vega 64 I got for $500. It performs like a 1080 with slight differences depending on tasks, but was a great price. I also saved on a $300+ on a freesync 144 hz 1440p monitor over it's nvidia g-sync counterpart. Had i not planned on getting this monitor I would have probably went with the rx 580 nitro+ since it's price/performance is so good.

I'm divided between getting a 1060-6GB or a 580 for very similar price, for use in Windows. From benchmark sites it looks like the 1060 is a hair more powerful and uses less power. Are AMD Windows drivers enough better to justify the 580?

I'm sitting on a GTX 960 and itching to buy a RX 580, but I'm waiting for AMD's next gen.

Jow Forums is an Indian board so most of us do own AMD products

I found a lightly used Sapphire R9 270 (OC edition) on eBay for $54. Snagged it to complement my recent 2200g build. Only issue with it is at 42-49% fan speed, it rattles. But fortunately it never even reaches that speed on the default fan profile. And if I want more aggressive cooling, I can just jump past that range. Can't complain for what I paid.

Are you interested in lower power use and similar performance and don't care about things like Goysync (I am guessing you have a 60Hz 1080 display) and having to sign into the botnet (or constantly having to find the driver only package for each update and doing without certain options).
Or would you prefer a botnet free option with a bit more power usage?
Weigh the above against the prices and make your choice.

GTX 1000 series get worse performance with new driver. While RX 580 gain some performance improve with new driver.
It's your decision here.

Last I heard that was just the first RTX-supporting driver, and it was a fuckup because the next version fixed it.

Then the next version unfixed it.

I have a vega 64 I bought in april for $490
Its a red devil 64
Honestly its been great on my 3440x1440 ultrawide 100hz display.
It runs everything at or near max settings at 90+ fps

Attached: BlackCops4.png (1309x954, 119K)

I had a 390 till last sunday, it overheated and died, was a great card while it lasted, have an improved income now though and have an rtx 2080 coming tomorrow to replace it, currently have shitty r7 260 1gb to tide me over. I would have preferred to go amd but they dont have anything that competes performance wise with the 2080 and money isnt an issue.

Why would anyone buy an AMD GPU today?

Cheaper, faster, more vram, less jewish

FREEsync

To go against Novidya shills desu fampai
Because it's good to have the option, rather than just buying the latest Nvidia card, and are welcome to buy whichever graphics card they want to buy

I've got the Sapphire RX580 Nitro. Got it because it was cheaper than 1060. Handles all the games I play well and it's really quiet. Nothing to complain about.
I've had driver issues once. Then I just rolled back to the previous drivers that didn't have the issue and waited until there was a newer version.

About 220W power draw. Not too bad.

Nitro+ is hot as fuck in many ways.

Attached: Sapphire_20171715568.jpg (800x800, 62K)

Still using my R9 Fury X from long ago and it's easily the best Gpu I've had. Stock cooler is liquid cooling so even for games and such it's only about 40 - 50°C max

I never monitored mine over 80°C
I believe the max I reached was 78°C after a 12H play session.
Usually around 70-75°C.

>Who here got an AMD GPU (Mostly for gayming) and why did you chose it over Nvidia?
I use Linux and I sometimes do some kernel development so there's no real choice, AMDs driver is free and in the kernel and NVidia's binary blob isn't. It's possible to use NVidia's driver if you're using some LTS distribution with an old kernel and old Xorg version, so it is an option if you are willing to let one binary blob dictate what kernel and xorg version you use.

>beastly GPU that is crippled by software limitations
that's sad and, in my opinion, a good argument for not buying AMD if you're a man-child wintoddler who plays games all the time. It doesn't matter if the hardware is better if performance is worse when you actually use it. VEGA isn't a great choice on Linux either, there's still some bugs in both the kernel and MESA. I probably wouldn't trade my RX 570 for a Vega 56 if someone offered to do that for free. The code for Polaris is absolutely stable and flawless and very mature now. I'll take a bit less performance over random crashes anytime.

Attached: neofetch-taeyeon-2018-10.jpg (2249x1606, 413K)

>390x
That's a nice card performance-wise, pretty much on par with the RX 580's. The only real issue with this card's the housefire tier power consumption, it's basically a RX 580 drawing almost twice as much power.

Vega 56 here.

>why did you chose it over Nvidia?
Driver support in Linux, and for FreeSync vs G-Sync (much cheaper monitors). Also pretty strongly prefer AMD as a company vs Nvidia.

I want to buy AMD even though it's not necessarily better bang for the buck, but the real dealbreaker is the fact that I have to use CUDA shit for my work.

>Who here got an AMD GPU (Mostly for gayming) and why did you chose it over Nvidia?
AMD GPUs iare worthless outside gaming. opencl is a piece of crap, it does not even have complex variables, so it is completely useless for physics calculations. AMD still tries hard to sit on the machine learning bandwagon but they are very late to that party.

When does navi come out again? Also is it worth it to upgrade to a 590 when that thing comes out from a gtx970 or no? Also how is linux for cisco stuff like VIRL, I want to use linux as my daily driver again if i go full amd for my next build.

i got a RX470 when it first came out. shit fucking sucks. if i overclock it too high it slows down to a chugging fps, even though its only like 70 C temps.

For video rendering

trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

specifically hevc_amf

I have it because nVidia drivers are a pain

I have a r9 390. Still going strong after 3 years.

source on archer waifu?

I always nad Good quality psu. Atm i have xfx 650w ts Gold rated. Fury just died and it was artefacting sometimes on desktop aswell

I have a GtX1070
not as good render wise from my last video card but Its okay I guess and does the job well enough.