Are there any good super-small computers these days? UMPCs, pocket computers, etc...

Are there any good super-small computers these days? UMPCs, pocket computers, etc.? The only thing I've seen lately is the GPD Pocket, and I wasn't impressed with the WIN's build quality so I'm hesitant to trust that machine.

Attached: gpd_pocket_1212_img_02_02_train.jpg (780x550, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Aluminum-GPD-WIN-X7-Z8750-Bluetooth/dp/B07H2VWQF9?th=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he's running windows on it
this isn't okay

I agree, that's the base OS you get with one though so I guess that's why he's showing it.

the gpd win 2 is quite good. a bit pricey but its got great battery life and it has an i5, 8 gb of ram and m.2 ssd instead of EMMC

>Are there any good super-small computers these days?
You'd probably have to look at the specialty enterprise/industrial// LEO/military market for anything decent in the ultraportable x86 realm

>an even easier laptop for Jamal and Tyrone to steal

This is why I only use THICCpads.

Attached: fat laptops.png (960x550, 403K)

amazon.com/Aluminum-GPD-WIN-X7-Z8750-Bluetooth/dp/B07H2VWQF9?th=1

About 4h on battery when watching Youtube or movies.
6h when working on spreadsheets and word processor.
(nice little device when flying)

Attached: Sans titre.jpg (1920x1200, 401K)

iPhone X

iPhone Xr, Galaxy s9, Sony XPeria...

>THICCpads
Get back to me when you have an E6420 XFR

Attached: wantTHIS.jpg (1416x1424, 464K)

I don't have laptop. I use this all the time in the class or on travel. For doing hard work and gaming I use a PC at home.
Also, I left the dock in my parents house, so I use it like tablet. Quite old device, it's been serving me 5 years, maybe I will replace it another year

Attached: t100-promo-1.jpg (640x360, 33K)

Elitebook 2570p

What's the condition of your battery? I'm surprised the Asus has treated you this well, then again, their eee products are pretty solid.

It's still pretty solid, used to be 12 hours, it's now down to 7 hours. I also bring powerbank+wall adapter just in case

Just how practicle are these things? Is that small screen space usable? Can I use the command line without a magnifying glass? How's the wifi? Is typing on that wee keyboard possible? What if I were to buy one of those shitty Lynx Windows tablets with a keyboard dock?

I'm getting the GPD Win 2 when I get my hands on 850 dollars.

For menial task any tablet.
In order to develop you need something bigger anyway so a thinkpad X2xx

yep muh dik

>being such a scrubby little man that cant defend himself

better build quality than GPD Win 1? I was really underwhelmed by it, had nothing but problems

Can you name some manufacturers or suppliers for such devices? I don't know the field.

I match this question. Might pair well with the thinkpad bluetooth keyboard also.

yeah, expensive shit though isn't it?

any tablets that are cheap and can >install gentoo

the gpd pocket was almost good. I wanted to use it on the go and dock it at home but it was just too slow for real work. I mostly replaced mine with a thinkpad x380 yoga, which also replaced my desktop with an egpu

the pocket 2 might be fast enough to be good, but it is completely ruined by the removal of the trackpoint

there is also the one mix yoga which has the very good feature of flipping the screen around but I think it's no faster than the pocket 1

gpd pocket build quality is fine

lunix runs really badly on it. constant freezes. I had to go back to windows + wsl. ymmv by unit

they're usable, but not terribly comfortable. I use mine on the train. command line is fine. wifi is bad on the pocket. typing could be worse

Attached: IMG_20181021_125726.jpg (4056x3040, 2M)

samsung galaxy book 10.6. runs win10.

thats what im planning, i think.

I think the GPD win is that little bit too small, a decently specced 10" device would be really nice though. Something like the Surface Go with a real Core M

>GPD Pocket
>When GPD Pocket 2 is already out
Plus what was wrong with the Win? Did you have a early backer unit? You realize chick QA is a lottery, just buy from a place that tests the unit beforehand.

>Are there any good super-small computers these days?

Yes.

Attached: apple-iphone-se-press-2.jpg (1532x1022, 440K)

>nice little device when flying
I was on a plane two weeks ago with a 15" laptop and it was a bad time. Made me want a mini pc even more. At this point I'l setle for something that can fit in a coat pocket even though I would prefer fitting in a pants pocket.

I was thinking of getting the Win 1 but even at $400 I feel a little gun-shy. I don't want to spend that much and realize I'd be stuck with Windows.

Not even close.
Does it have a good text editor? A keyboard? Can I install Syncthing? Can I sync my calendar with GNU/Linux?
At this point I don't even consider smartphones to be real computers. Their designed from the hardware level to be disposable toys.

I've been through 3 Android phones and they have all been the worst "computers" I have ever owned. That includes my former life as a Mac fag. I unironically think Android is worse than Windows and this is from a guy who became interested in the free software philosophy when he was locked out of Windows 7 because of an anti piracy bug.

You gen Z newfags and your defense and promotion of smartphones is disgusting.
You're free to embarrass yourself trying to sell your hipster toy to me however. I truly am fed up with Google's bullshit.

Attached: 1502042580723-g.jpg (246x227, 9K)

I ordered the Gemini PDA even though it's a v1, gonna install debian oh please wish me luck guys

>Does it have a good text editor
Sure. Use vim in any terminal emulator.

>A keyboard
Yup, you can get keyboard cases and they will still be thinner and lighter than these retarded alternatives you are suggesting.

>Can I install Syncthing? Can I sync my calendar with GNU/Linux?
Just use Google Calendar you fucking autist.

i still have one of these hunks of shit. down to a solid two hours of battery life and only charges half the time

Why can't they just make a decent ARM tablet and let me bring my own keyboard, these machines are just absolute faggotry.

Fuck off back to your /fllgbtsjw/ threads, CoCholded faggot

emerson

I wanted to like the GPD Pocket, but the keyboard fails to register presses unless you press the keys dead-center. Also the weak CPU makes it useless for anything beyond web browsing and playing music or videos.

>Sure. Use vim in any terminal emulator.
If Ternux is any indication it will be a toy and not a real shell. I have vim on my Poodroid and using it with a touch screen keyboard is fucking awful.

>Yup, you can get keyboard cases
that require the whole thing being placed on a table and leaving the Bluetooth antenna running. I don't think there's a single slider keyboard case for any of the current iPhone models.
>thinner and lighter than these retarded alternatives you are suggesting.
I care about functionality over aesthetics. The only aesthetics I care about is the kind you write in full with.
The fact that a GPD win would have a game controller built-in would be a nice bonus.

>Just use Google Calendar you fucking autist.
I already have a home server running as a passive Syncthing node. I can run caldev form it and cut the middleman. Google is an unofficial spy agency but you're probably too much of a complacent cow to care.

also,
>Apple is worst in the business when it comes to plant obsoletes
>my sister's iPhone x had a screen damage from a 3 foot drop
>even my piece of crap Dell laptop can survive that.
>only works within a (((ecosystem)))
>(((app store)))
>handsets overpriced for what little they are capable of doing.
I would be going form one cesspool to another.

>the keyboard fails to register presses unless you press the keys dead-center.
I'm so glad I didn't buy one impulsively. That would have driven me crazy.

Thankfully I managed to return mine while I still could.

I'd get one just for the sake of having one. I wish I could think of a use case for them. Besides filling the void in my heart by buying things I don't need.

Attached: 1520916400620.jpg (800x1547, 457K)

works great for me when travelling

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-21 14-17-44.png (1368x768, 279K)

good luck, post about it since I'm curious

Mid price range smart phones

They're good for older simulator and RTS games. SimCity 4 specifically works great on my VAIO UX. I also use it for reprogramming ham radios in the field, looking up satellite locations, etc. I've got to get an OS on it but I've been meaning to see if Stellarium or something similar will run at all.

you can use syncthing on android AND on termux.

and use your own dav server (i use radicale) to sync your phone calendar and tasks

dumbass.

Attached: mastermind.jpg (427x640, 144K)

I had the U810 model, it was utter shit no matter what OS I put on it. That said the U820 was so much better.

your best bet would be a Fujitsu P1630, but good luck finding one anywhere.

>syncthing on android
I already use it. It syncs my notes and manuscripts. I'm form /lit/. I use my phone to write notes and even write first drafts and edit manuscripts. Editing text on smartphones is fucking awful.

>use your own dav server
I already do and davDroid was slow as shit to push and pull changes.

>dumbass.
You probably think it's acceptable that my phone will never be upgraded past kernel 3.10.
also
>implying I'm an old man for setting some standards
Smartphones are the biggest disaster in computing and if you're too dense to understand why, you don't belong on Jow Forums.

Attached: 1412022155940.jpg (224x216, 13K)