XFCE IS KILL

First MATE jumped to GTK3 and it became heavy and bloated, now XFCE will jump to GTK3+ too.
How many Cinnamon wannabes we need lads?

Attached: xfceiskill.png (805x377, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu-mate.org/blog/mate-desktop-gtk2-vs-gtk3-memory-consumption/
wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/commit/?id=6a3333087b5e7a6aa8fbeb9a802d90991c62833b
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>using outdated software is good
I bet you use Python 2.7

This is a good move.

this is why the future of lightweight DEs is LXQt

god dammit

Attached: 1523733617868.png (168x168, 51K)

I guess I'm switching to kde lads

daily reminder that KDE is the only safe option left, gnome is a fucking mistake. also why don't we all just bail and start our own DE project what's the worst that could happen

If you haven't fallen for the tiling WM meme yet, now's the time.

Attached: i3-6.png (1024x600, 54K)

why do you need a DE?

I implemented a tiling script in kde so I get the best of both worlds

It's actually pretty comfy these days.

BLOAT!!!!

(nah actually its ok I respect your choice. *hugs*)

>new is always better

Attached: 1537073535576.jpg (480x640, 42K)

It's true though.

im just kidding, im going to gnome since at least thats stable

>implying KDE isn't stable
>implying Foot isn't a bloated piece of shit tablet environment with horrible developers and shit for customization
horrible choice but should be expected of a Foot fetishist

Attached: catbat.jpg (640x347, 53K)

It is bretty good actually.

Attached: Screenshot_20181021_115602.png (1920x1080, 343K)

>It's true though.

Attached: VOJQABD.gif (275x374, 673K)

My computer is perfectly capable of running KDE but it's still so slow and unresponsive compared to XFCE.
How to debloat?

gnome is the most comfy for 2 to 3 monitors. feel free to try to tell me why. And yes, gnome is ""bloated"" but i am not running it on a $40 thinkpad so i have enough cpu, gpu, and ram to spare to enjoy the interface

ayyy I3 master race amiright??

I gotchu nigguh

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_Desktop_20181021013000.png (1920x1080, 479K)

>XFCE IS KILL
you mean they're finally shipping an update they announce half a decade ago

This was announced and has been in the works for years, user. Xfce > everything other DE so I don't see why you would compare it Cinnamon.

Lubuntu masterrace

Not saying Python2.7 is good, but Guido fucked up hard breaking backward compatibility
Did he want Python to be fucking javascript?
>tfw you now have 5 versions of Python installed

kde often feels like it has some input lag, maybe it's vsync related, i'm still using it anyway

I'm surprised they actually updated it before GNU Hurd's release.

Because I want to use my PC to do things with ease, not spend inordinate amounts of time messing with my PC.

F

Gnomefags are going to eat them alive at the rate they are developing it.
Qt seems kind of bloated but it has become the only sane choice by default at this point.

Linux desktops as a whole need something like FLTK that is a little bit more polished but most importantly NEVER BREAKS COMPATIBILITY WITH ITSELF EVER

what do you need to do to resize a window?

>Steam
See, shit like this immediately invalidates all you tiling wm people's claims of muh productivity.
Better end yourself immediately.

Disable compositing or switch to xrender. xfce uses it too.

Wrong.
ubuntu-mate.org/blog/mate-desktop-gtk2-vs-gtk3-memory-consumption/

no it isn't, it's not a matter of "y-you just don't like change", it's just that the change can be either good or bad and in this case we think the change is bad. not that complicated

>now XFCE will jump to GTK3+ too.
XFCE 4.14 has been in development for YEARS and yes, 4.13 uses GTK3. Now you notice? This isn't some new development, look at their roadmap, behold their TOTAL PLAN to herd you into these GTK3 systems,
wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

The frog has been boiling for a long time, the very slow XFCE4 release cycle is a gradual way of getting you. You absolutely must resist the fingerprint-scanning support, the systemd integration, the webcam support that could potentially be tied into systems that can scan your face against a billion faces in a single second. They are even trying to get you locked into the matrix with a xscreensaver port called xfce4-screensaver which includes a matrix-like screensaver. Ladies and gentlemen, this is in your face, this is what's coming.

Attached: xfce4.13-desktop-settings-fs8.png (1541x1337, 184K)

>twice

yes?

Attached: twice-xfce4.13-desktop.jpg (9000x1688, 1.5M)

jesus christ i'm puking

why?

Attached: candy_pop_dance.webm (900x506, 2.93M)

I just want a file picker which doesn't suck.

>If you haven't fallen for the tiling WM meme yet, now's the time.
It's not 1998, sorry.

It just means that it will display gnome-gtk3 apps in all their ugliness...

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-21_12-51-40.png (1201x631, 163K)

while normal Linux and xfce programs will still be displayed by the gtk2 based xfwm4-theme

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-21_12-52-41.png (1198x633, 223K)

use lxqt/kde.

>Gnomefags are going to eat them alive at the rate they are developing it.

Gnome became shittier with every update.

I actually believe it is quite possible that
>>Gnomefags are going to eat them alive at the rate they are developing it.
if "it" refers to GTK which is essentially GNOME ToolKit now. The way it's developed really could kill XFCE.

Consider this, GNOME developers actually asked Transmission to remove it's system tray support because GNOME no longer has one, GNOME's removed that feature so naturally those backwards GNOME developers think applications that work in any desktop environment shouldn't have that feature. This is their mindset.

It's dangerous to use a toolkit developed by people who won't care what it breaks as long as it works fine for GNOME.

GTK 2 doesn't even support wayland

this i3 master race.

Fucking tilelets

>gnomeland

Attached: e54.png (640x360, 230K)

Come home, white man.

Attached: lxde.png (800x644, 287K)

Literally what is the point of xfce?

>Literally what is the point of xfce?
Stable, lightweight, out-of-the box DE.
It just works and I use it as a DE of choice for my parents.

>using DE
you may well switch to Windows

They've been porting pieces of it for years now. It's just to use something still properly maintained and have access to new stuff like Wayland. Chill out, my dudes, it'll not turn into GNOME.

Is this still not qt yet

>enjoy the interface
>gnome
Ahhahahaha

what are some other DE using GTK? i can think of gnome, xfce, mate and cinnamon, are there any more of them?

>she starts dancing
>puts himself into a corner
the absolute state of Korean "men"

I think Enlightenment and Budgie

Use nemo

So, what's actually wrong with GTK3?
Will I even notice a difference?

Attached: 71177663_p0.jpg (2400x2400, 746K)

Literally everything that's not KDE

>man, thunar is an feature-lacking fm
>hey dude, migrate to a completely different beta version of my fav DE just so you can use an equally useless file manager.
Ain't that great advice retard?

is the lxde gtk version dead? and didn't budgie complete dump gtk for qt?

make retarded meme questions, get equally meme answers. Also it's kinda funny how filepicker meme spammers calls anyone else retarded.
Get a Mac, I heard they just work.

>Will I even notice a difference?
The only difference I have noticed so far is that themes are kind of a problem. If you look in /usr/share/themes you'll find that a lot of them will only have a gtk-2.0 folder. All those show up in XFCE's theme selector and the look like a mess on 4.13. The ones that support both gtk 2 and gtk 3 work fine.

Other than that.. Can't actually say I've noticed much of a difference at all. XFCE 4.13 is pretty much the same as 4.12 was.

I guess one difference if you upgrade right now is that you don't get the easter-egg. But they've re-added it so future versions will have it (it was removed between 4.12 and 4.13):
git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/commit/?id=6a3333087b5e7a6aa8fbeb9a802d90991c62833b

...other than that.. idk. screen tearing is still there in 4.13 so you need to have X configured with Option "TearFree" "1" to get the no tearing experience on both Intel and AMD GPUs. That's a bit annoying if you don't know how to fix it but it's fine when you have that in your config.

>Get a Mac
No

Attached: neofetch-taeyeon-2018-10.jpg (2249x1606, 413K)

Budgie 11 will be using Qt and LXDE is dead, long live LXQt

Attached: Screenshot_Via_20181021-080925.png (1080x1920, 330K)

Does xfce work with wayland yet?

Not really, they are rethinking what they want to do with budgie11. Porting to the qt was stopped like 8 months ago, until it was restarted and i've missed it.

>have it installed and configured as default but keep putting it off and writing startxfe4 on login

I would assume it was restarted considering the screen cap was from their website and they haven't mentioned going in a different direction

gtk3 or any gtk-based DEs for that matter aren't the best but i find mate to be most /comfy/ of them all

>tied into systems that can scan your face against a billion faces in a single second. They are even trying to get you locked into the matrix with a xscreensaver port called xfce4
>gradual
F

>screen tearing is still there in 4.13 so you need to have X configured with Option "TearFree" "1"
It's a fucking joke you still have to do this in $current_year.

Unironically running LXQt. It's not perfect and I'm not shilling it for the final driver. Start off with it and include the features you're missing bit by bit. Probably replacing Openbox with tiling WM of choice. It's basically KDE without its app ecosystem and other bloat and the base theme is workable.

I don't get it what's so bad about GTK+ so even XFCE will turn to shit?
>inb4 XFCE is shit lolololo
fuck off

we gubuntu now.

I installed LXQt and then replaced Openbox with KWin.
Am I going to hell?

install i3wm.

I do wonder what the thought process is for not having TearFree as a default. Think of it this way, if it was the default and it would be disabled by setting HorribleScreenTearing to 1, would anyone actually do that?

i make the logo

lol why not just install KDE at that point

XFCE is shit lolololo

xfce+i3 kings assemble

It's actually surprisingly light and fast.

i'll get started on the logo

yeah, I was fucking around with Void LXQt and it is nice, barebones tho

The foot conquers all.

Attached: 6f8446e3a358f01354b57c7b31eea00d.jpg (600x899, 161K)

with hookers!
and blackjack!
In fact forget the DE

Attached: bender.jpg (1024x768, 45K)

>foot fungus

I was under the impression that installing anything KDE on a non-KDE system is going to pull in massive amounts of bloat, even if you're already using LXQt.
May just be shit packaging but I've seen it on multiple distros.

In general that's true, but KWin doesn't seem to do that (as badly).

Not entirely true. Depends on dependencies. If minimizing storage drain is your goal you want to mainly stick to either the Qt or GTK ecosystem, the "bloat" from programs using different frameworks is unavoidable. Of course mixing and matching the two would be an unnecessary drain on storage.
KWin is Qt5 like most of LXQt. Although I'm sure the anons here know that.
You're cool man open-source is freedom. I only mentioned tiling WMs because that's what Anons here were talking about.
Unpopular opinion - pure tiling is unnecessary on single full HD or smaller monitors. Floating WMs create good workflow with better keybinds. Due to the limited screen estate you'll be better off just switching workspaces.
Although on multiple HD monitors or larger resolutions tiling is king.

All work and no play makes user a dull boy.

But lubuntu still exists and is great

LXDE is not dead.
DEs almost never dies they fork by the gates of hell.

i'll name it

the name is boogertwerk

i think itll really attract neets and normies alike

Any good tiling terminals for KDE/Qt? Or can Konsole be tiled out of the box?

Wont happen since no one will do a logo...