IRC servers

Buddy and me were trying to make an IRC server in Java but we can't seem to make it past our LANs. Are we retarded poo in loos or do we need to use another language?

Attached: shout-icon.png (512x512, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Connection_establishment
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

use C ;^)

Working as intended, you need to configure your server at the router if you want a server.

We're new to network programming, how do we do that?

not programmatically. you have to open ports. You can use upnp but this is a universally bad idea.

Right, we have to adjust the open ports in the router. Any guide we can follow to do it properly?

Its in the router documentation, not general.

How do regular programs get around this? Why can I connect to IRC's without opening ports in my router?

You don't have to open your own port in order to connect to other people's IRC

>IRC server

please sir do the needful and delete this or i swear by god i will poo in your damn loo

>How does NAT work?

The only reason OP needs to forward ports in the first place is because their router won't know what to do with incoming unsolicited IRC traffic, as nobody behind the router had initiated the connection.

When you connect to IRC, your router remembers how to direct replys from the server back to you.

That's neat OP. I too am learning java, and would really like to know how you went on about creating such a server.

>Are we retarded
Yes
>do we need to use another language?
Also yes, but not because of your networking issues

no poo in pajeets loo pls

we'd like to make a server, is that possible without port forwarding or do we absolutely need to? How do other programs create servers without requiring us to do this?

I tried to convince my pal to use C++ but he knows one language and this is it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to try to teach him perl or C++ but if I have to, I'll try my best

>we'd like to make a server, is that possible without port forwarding?
Yes, but port forwarding is a much better solution than anything else you'll find, and is necessary for irc in particular.
>How do other programs create servers without requiring us to do this?
They don't. What internet-accessible server are you running behind a NAT that doesn't need a forwarded port?

there are also ways to connect to a 'server' behind a NAT without explicit port forwarding, but their usually big memes.

for example, two machines simultaneously send a SYN to eachother, so their translation tables are correct. Obviously, this won't work well for IRC.

I play a lot of videogames that let you make a local server. How do they do it? And why isn't it necessary for IRC?

Port forwarding isn't part of the server, it's a configuration detail of the network which the server is on.

If you only ever intend to accept connections from your local network, port forwarding is not necessary, for example.

sorry for being a dumb faggot, what is syn and why does that let computers communicate with each other?

you have to forward the port.
manually configure the router or use upnp.
if you can t even do it yore retarted.

Attached: 1525939947662.jpg (902x762, 195K)

we were hoping to let computers that aren't on the same network talk to each other, is port forwarding necessary?

Doesn't upnp have security risks associated with it?

A SYN packet is the initial part of a TCP connection handshake, it is short for "synchronize". Its exact purpose for TCP is unrelated toy why I brought it up, but from a NAT standpoint, your router will see that packing on its way out and create a tranlation entry that routes traffic from the packets destination back to the same socket that sent the SYN.

Longer and direct answer to the question
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Connection_establishment

shameless bump. Any advice in the right direction is appreciated.

just forward a fucking port. you need 6669 TCP

this is a +18 website