How the hell do you guys do it?

How did you get into college?
How did you complete your Computer Science degree?
How did you land internships?
How did you FIND internships?
How did you build your resume?
How did you find a job?
How do you afford rent?

I live 5 mins away from Palo Alto, and after seeing this youtu.be/H_ILu-R-Nz8 I was hit with a wave of reality that I will never be able to live on my own. I didn't do great my first two years of high school because my brain was still in retard mode. I'm currently in community college and I just failed Calc 1... Oh god I'm a brainlet how did you guys pass all this? How did you deal with our current economy?

How do you live knowing your job can be replaced by someone overseas? By A.I?
Oh god please help this industry is too competitive

Attached: reaction.jpg (250x186, 4K)

fag

If you can't get into college you're a failure already

What are failures supposed to do in life?

Step one is to avoid asking for advice from strangers on the internet

Kill ourselves

Just channel your autism into programming so you can become better at it than everyone else

Okay here we go

>How did you get into college?
Worked my butt off, did well in high school. Got all my requirements and applied to colleges early.
>How did you complete your Computer Science degree?
I'm a couple semesters away from finishing, but so far: hard work, making a schedule for myself and sticking to it. Making sure I took all the classes I needed, and making schedules for three semesters in advance to avoid getting hit by class rescheduling surprises
>How did you land internships?
Did well in my classes, did side projects. I attended all of my university's career networking events, handed out shitloads of copies of my resume, sent even more in online applications. Eventually heard back from companies, landed a few interviews and offers.
>How did you FIND internships?
My university's career events and various online job boards
>How did you build your resume?
You need a few sections: education, work experience, personal projects, skills. You need to get enough material to fill up one entire page, but do NOT go over that (if you're applying to American companies, at least)
>How did you find a job?
Working on it, but I plan to do well in all my internships and hopefully land an offer that way
>How do you afford rent?
Not there yet, but probably live with parents or other family until I have some good savings

>5 mins away from Palo Alto
I don't live near the big tech hubs, but tech is growing and there are opportunities everywhere. If housing is too expensive where you live, it might be worth considering moving.

>currently in community college
Oh I forgot to mention, I went to community college too after high school, and transferred to a real uni after a couple years. The only advice I can give you is: buckle down, put your brain in high gear and get the absolute best grades on your assignments you possibly can. I realize that may not sound helpful, but GPA is the most important factor when you're trying to transfer from community college.

>failed calc 1
Your brain is still in retard mode. Either get your shit together or learn a trade. If you cant into math then I highly suggest the latter.

>Worked my butt off, did well in high school. Got all my requirements and applied to colleges early.

>Had to work hard in high school

Having a pulse will get you into uni if you arent a complete _____

Someone quite this post with the brainlet wojack pic

Depends on the uni, bit I generally agree with you. Could I have gone to college with less work in high school? Certainly. But I think its because of my hard work that I got into a top-20 worldwide undergrad CS program.

>dunno it just happened
>dunno it just happened, CE instead of CS though
>friends
>friends
>i didn't
>i haven't
>NEET
i'm not from muttland though and there aren't any IT jobs over here so rip me

Attached: 126945143.jpg (599x449, 113K)

>there aren't any IT jobs over here
Where do you live? Surely there are 1 or 2.

I'm graduating in CS this december, with no side projects, internships and no experience what so ever. What's next for me?

> GPA when transferring from community college
Literally this. Senior comp sci major here, I was accepted during my transfer.. almost had an issue getting in as a result of having a criminal record at that time (since been expunged) but nothing really came of it since my gpa was good

A shithole in South America and yes there are a few but they demand experience and i'm basically a fresh graduate.
The only "good" thing in my resume is that i know three languages and working on my fourth (languages as in spoken languages, not programming languages).

>I didn't do great my first two years of high school because my brain was still in retard mode.
what does that mean? why do you think you would stop being a retard?

Oh and Calc 1
I dunno what to tell ya.. just practice that shit.. do every homework problem / practice problem in the book until you get it .. only thing I can really tell ya with math.. or watch youtube videos on it.
Calc 1 is easy shit imo..

Start sending out your resume ASAP. All the larger companies started hiring for January 2019 positions in this past August. Talk to your university's career department and pray they can get you a placement. Now is the time to look for work.

Also, if you completed class projects that you're proud of, fix them up and out them on github. That will work for personal projects.

Ah OK. Good luck to you

Your late to the start ,so ya it will be harder. Focus on simple things and small projects , get a entry level "it" job like in a call center or a level 1 help desk job. Use that as a starting point and keep refining your skills. Stay with the company till you get a good title then move around. Hope some nerd will take you under his wing. Keep refining your work and make sure you are learning at least one new thing a day. Good luck

also go to any tech conference you can ,use it to absorb their knowledge and a testing ground for talking to people, if you fuck up move on and learn from your social mistakes.

>Applied
>In the middle of it
>Went to career fairs
>Found them at career fairs, sometimes friends or family would send me shit
>Side projects. Wanted to get into embedded development stuff so I used a lot of suckless stuff and some books to learn C. Hackathons are a good place to play with electronics and put shit down on a resume.
>atm, I don't. Just recently got a job working 5am on an airport, but overslept like two days last week. Kindve in a shit spot since the hours are so terrible, but if I get an internship Monday I might be set until spring.
Best advice I can offer is the same advice my first semester comp sci professor told us when he was trying to explain recursion:
>Break the problem into small, manageable pieces. Solve each piece on it's own; the bigger stuff is for later.
Calc 1 is a stumbling point for literally everyone. If you have a good professor it's probably the first time a math class requires you to think through solutions rather than regurgitate formulas and plug in numbers. The key to learning it is exposure. I've found that a lot of people who find it easy usually failed it already or took it in high school and used college as an opportunity to study more. Do the practice problems, watch some videos, and you'll make it out okay.
we're all gonna make it fella

Attached: 1483735638642.jpg (2880x1800, 1.44M)

My brain kicked in during sophomore year... Have you ever felt a snap in understanding when you were growing up? The second that snap occurred my grades went from Fs to Bs. My first two years gave me a 2.2~ GPA, but after the snap I pulled it up to a 3.0 by senior year... Am I the only one who had this awakening this late?

yes

Thx for the pape user.

Lucky + Smart

Attached: 1537650377789.gif (343x495, 1.63M)

If you/your parents pay me I'll tutor you in person user.
I taught mid level math at university for 5 semesters and am professional programmer.

Attached: 1523841622898.jpg (968x1200, 794K)

LOL just b urself frogbro

"Why do we fall Bruce? So we may learn to pick ourselves up."
Don't lose hope OP, study hard and you'll make it.

whats sophomore year? is that what americans call puberty?

Studied hard and got accepted
Many, many sleepless nights studying and alcohol
Went to job fair a few semesters before I had to go for an internship, found this company. When the time was right (2 semesters later) I sent my CV to them, got interviewed and hired.
Job fairs, company websites
Literally just took a shitty Word template and filled it out lol, it took maybe 30 minutes
>How did you find a job?
Company asked me if I want to stay after the internship. I said yes since it was good.
>How do you afford rent?
I share a room with an old time friend.

Calculus is kinda bs but I viewed it as a pleb filter and passed it for the fourth time.
My job won't be replaced by AI.
Don't overthink it.

I failed two years. There's no rush.

I believe there is a site on the internet where one can enter a word or phrase and one will then receive information related to the query. It's called g, go, goog.. something.

Just be yourself, bro.

Heh

I never had the awakening at all, it's a miracle I managed to complete high school at all.

> applied to a bunch of unis
> still in school
> connections
> connections
> work various jobs and internships
> apply random places
> daddy funds

Guess I have it easy /shrug

I got lucky and got a job at a place that only needs one or two programmers and I worked really hard to be self-motivated and self-starting and took over the IT infrastructure so I'm basically irreplaceable.

I flunked high school went to community college. studied pre calc and and got a strong foundation in Algebra. Calc 1 and 2 were easy afterwards. If you think Calc is hard get ready to get fucked by discrete Math and proofs.
Studying and knowing how to have a good time in teh weekend, college is not just all work, its about making connections that last a life time.
Never had one in college, just did pointless research positions because the proffessors liked me. Not being autisitc takes you a long way in Computer Science
I got interviews from Job fairs , but never got one.
A generic resume, lie lie about alot of your personal projects. Pad out your github with shitty projects.
>How did you find a job?
A job fair and after that through the world of recruiters
>How do you afford rent?
Its not bad, I live in Mass outside of Boston. I get paid 6 figs so it covers my rent

The Great thing about coding is you don't have to a rock star to make a decent living. As long as you are competent that's all that matters. Take pre calc , then take calc. It might seem you are going backwards, but you will need a strong foundation in algebra.

Doing CE is SA is almost suicide, there are virtually no jobs in the field and whatever little there is generally is taken by EEs. To find CE jobs you have to move out of this disgusting continent, it is the sad truth.
My SA shithole doesn't even have CE anywhere, it really is that dead here, the closest are EE and Mechatronics Eng.

I applied to the best university in my country.

>How did you complete your Political Science degree?
I the found theoretical aspects of International Relations to be fascinating, especially once you get into critical-thoeries. Political philosophy is mostly ethics with a sociology skin. Classes in advanced ethics are so much more interesting than being stuck in a loop of reading, writing, regurgitating and regretting reading Rawls.

Made drunken conversation with a senator at a family friend's wake.

Look for the guy in the suit, he will come out of the bathroom with white powder under his nose.

LaTeX

>How did you find a job?
Called in a favor from an old and well connected friend. I work as a medium between the autistic world of ' ' 'cyber-security' ' ' and some tech-illiterate boomers who were tasked with drafting human-readable reports.

>How do you afford rent?
With my degree in Political Science

It can either mean the equivalent of Year 11 in the UK l or the second year of college, depending on context.

Finished high school
3rd year student here, 2 years left
Family friend
Family friend, also indeed and other similar sites
Attended a resume class and also downloaded dozens of resumes online and studied them. Also printed business cards (bone font, white textured background) and created a professional website with my resume on it and my name as a domain name I bought.
>How did you find a job?
School contacts, indeed, similar sites, friends etc
>How do you afford rent?
What's a rent?

Never studied in high school but still got good papers. Applied for uni right after HS, got accepted, went to the army for a year (conscript) and the went to uni

>How did you complete your >Computer Science degree?
It was tough at first because I needed to study for the first time in my life, but it got good after all the mandatory freshman courses

I worked six months at a factory before conscription and uni. During the first summer of uni I asked that manufacturing company for an internship and I got it. Did all of my internships there, afterwhich I just worked there for summers

Check above, I got lucky

Put every little detail on LinkedIn, every possible aspect of IT-work that I've done

>How did you find a job?
Haven't, I'm still at uni, final year

>How do you afford rent?
My rent is 700€/month and I get student welfare about 500€/month. I can afford it because I work during the summer

Attached: 751488fe.jpg (604x536, 46K)

>> How did you get into college?
Could have gotten in in several different ways. High grades, high marks on the entry exam. Represented my country in the IMO.
>> I did physics instead, learned CS stuff on my own, started by learning Haskell & Smalltalk and then moved towards learning more mainstream languages. Got a few random textbooks like CLRS and the Tiger book and worked through them on my own.
>> How did you learn internships.
>> How did you FIND internships?
Contacts, mostly. And impressing professors enough to get them to recommend me.
>>How did you build your resume?
>>How did you find a job?
Published a few papers and ended up continuing in academia. Still got a job offer from Spotify though, mainly due to knowing both machine learning and Scala.
>> How do you afford rent?
I lived with my parents and commuted. Also got a job on the side as an undergrad TA, to eliminate student debt.

Here's how to get into IT on your own merit.

Do anything at college which is related to a business with some basic programming, databases, etc (read: no CS or CE). For your first job, aim for something with spreadsheets. Usually there is a database involved somewhere (or it can be introduced) here which will allow you to learn SQL and some basic database concepts.

As more general, business oriented degrees attract a wider pool of people. There is more opportunity to do well as you aren't competing with autistic spergs.

With some domain knowledge and SQL, you can usually get a BI or DB analyst job. From here, you can move into a proper, enterprise database like MSSQL or Oracle.

After doing a job like that for some time, you can pick up C# or Java. Then, you can go into a proper enterprise 'development' job where you aren't paid shit money like you get in webdev or meme fields like data science.

Once you have a few years of C# or Java, you can pretty much get an interview for any development job. Even the Haskell bullshit.

Enterprise development jobs are the gold standard of programming. You get all the perks of working for a large corporation but none of the headaches of working in a product ownership position, stress of sales or developing a skill set specific to the company.

>Jow Forums is full of morons who used nepotism to get into the business
Can't say I'm surprised. See how far your careers go without daddy's friends helping you.

I applied. If you can't make the cut for where you want to go, take some upgrade courses. Seems most universities need second semester students more than first semester.
Pure hate. Every time I wanted to stop I remembered the people who told me I would fail. When my mother said that I should go back to working at McDonald's my grades went up.
Applied for the job I wanted. Seems if you write stupid shit that you are good at somebody will ignore that you don't fit criteria. There 100s of other motherfuckers who fit the job.
No idea, but SPAM your resume everywhere. I got a big one, but just walking into a place.
Shit work. Fast food shows you can eat shit. Professional jobs have more shit eating the fast food.
How did you find a job?
Intership turned into job. Other stuff was knowing people and yelling loudly on social media that I was looking.
How do you afford rent?
Student loans. Moving home during the summers so I could save more.

>everyone says calc 1 is easy
>still struggling despite putting forth my best effort
I'm scared, I can't think of a single career path that interests me in which I wouldn't have to go through the math wall, I seriously don't know what to do with my life.

Attached: bad.jpg (267x410, 26K)

Applied. It's easy if you aren't shit
Passed all exams. Unless you are doing something very wrong, it's not very hard (only need to study at times).
Didn't need any. Worked at the Uni and did a bunch of open source stuff
Just found projects I'm interested in. And either talked to the one in charge or contributed, depending on where they are hosted
Wrote down what I did so far
>How did you find a job?
"Local" (next town over) newspaper job offering
>How do you afford rent?
Working as student at the university.
Did a shift job in a factory before going to uni to finance my first year (7weeks were enough for the entire year)

And then you spend your days changing the color of the tax submit button in the internal widget fubulator application that was written in winforms and an old version of visual basic.

None of your coworkers like technology, they just kinda slid into the role and don't want to quit because noone else would ever hire them.

Your goal in life is now to rewrite the widget fubulator in modern C# using design patterns, so you start organizing meetings with the head of IT to discuss your grand plans. But somehow they don't care about that, they just want a new button.

I'll tell my story.
1. went to a state school, was cheaper. didn't give a shit about "name". Had I think a 31 on my ACT, dont remember SAT. So step 1: dont be a retard and have a decent GPA.
2. I didn't go computer sci, that shit was too faggy. I did computer engineering. I completed it by not drinking every night, not smoking a pound of weed. I focused on my core classes and studied my ass off. Completed undergrad in 4.5 years. Did masters (electrical engineering) in 1.5 years.
3. had 2 internships. 1 was through connections, helps to not be a social parriah. 2nd was college recruitment by a large company, I interviewed well. They offered job, I told them I wanted internship instead. They agreed. They offered a job at the end of the internship, I declined.
4. companies will come to schools looking for interns, or know someone on the inside
5. 2 internships, grad research and grad teaching was plenty for my resume before finishing grad school
6. first job was a shitty startup, figured fuck it, I'll take the risk. Second job was the cpu-jew, I sent in my resume though their web-tool, they called me back and I passed phone screen and on site interview.
7. Once you have a non-shit job, find a shit apartment for a few years. Save your shekels. Get a jew loan and buy a house.

If you failed calc-1, calc 2,3,4 will probably wipe the floor with you. I'd consider getting self taught in electronics or some shit software and cook up an idea. Implement it, start your own business. I wish I had done this instead of working for Intel for 17 years. Heading down that road now. I hate working for someone else now.
I want my soul back.

Attached: intel_dying.jpg (1000x1333, 204K)

make sure to visit your professor's office hours, to problems over and over, and get as much help as your university will possibly offer you

I went to a 3rd rate college that accepts everyone.
Grit and student loans.
Didn't.
Didn't.
I joined the Air National Guard, they trained me up on some basic sysadmin stuff, got me Sec+, got me a government clearance, allowed me to network, paid me, and gave me the opportunities to grow and show my potential, and put bullet points on my resume.
>How did you find a job?
Took the experience, certs, clearance, and networking from the Guard and shopped around. I also threw myself 100% into my desired niche (cyber), and invested in myself with some extra training.
>How do you afford rent?
Lived with parents until I got a good job. My new job is 6-figures.

degree in CS from a college? the fuck? what kind of education system is that? you receive degree by going to and completing university

>tfw would have graduated from college but normies were socially isolating me and treating me like shit
I fucking hate HATE normies. Why the fuck are you faggots even doing in computer science? You don't even understand the shit. "lol jk bro I just compiled it and it just werks" and then you even admit you have no idea what you're doing. And then you go out of your way to treat people like shit if they're fugly. Doesn't matter if they code decently, nope HURR HE RETARD WE ISOLATE. I'm literally forced to work shitty minimum wage jobs the rest of my life because of you literal in actual retards and faggots.

Who the fuck cares? Go to class, do the work, graduate. For fuck's sake, you can get accredited CS degrees 100% online these days. You have only yourself to blame if you don't get a degree in 2018.

It's too late for that because I flunked out due to depression.
>hurr just get a degree breh
Yeah let me just pull thousands of dollars out of my ass to get one. Oh wait, I don't have any money. And I don't have mommy or daddy to sign me a big check or cosign a loan like you faggot normies.

>What are student loans?

Listen buddy, you can either take responsibility for your life or you can whine and complain and be a failure.

Federal student aid can potentially give you a full ride, depending on how shitty your financial situation is.

Any retard can get into a small school with a decent CS program. I paid $20k for my degree and get paid as much as coworkers who went to Ivy League schools.

Go to class and don't procrastinate on projects. CS is unique in that you know when you submit your projects if you got an A or not. Just give yourself enough time to get those unit tests passing.

Apply. You'll eventually get something even if the pay isn't great and it's with a small company. As long as you aren't doing IT or WordPress or something, anything is usually good.

You're on the internet, go to the sites of businesses in your area and reach out. Or talk to your professors or department chair.

Don't worry about it. If you take classes you are interested in and have a half-decent internship, your resume will follow. Any employer who scours your resume for the JS framework of the day isn't someone you want to work for anyway.

>How did you find a job?
If you know your stuff and make good connections with your classmates, professors, and people at an internship, you'll get something. My professors bent over backward to help those who asked for help in the job search.

>How do you afford rent?
Don't live in California. There are plenty of nice places in the Pacific Northwest or Midwest that will pay you at least 2x the median income in the area, plus you'll have a 10-minute commute and not live in a shit hole.

>How do you live with knowing your job can be replaced by someone overseas? By AI?
Any decent company values good devs. If you can't write better code than what gets put out by pajeets, that's your own fault. And AI is far from developing software. This will be the last job to be automated, and when it happens we'll have hit the singularity and probably all be turned to robot battery goo anyway.

Hard work

Hard work

Building social skills and learning to be personable

The above, and learning who has connections

Workshops and advice

>How did you find a job?
Working hard at an internship and continuing to make connections

>How do you afford rent?
By negotiating well for pay, and not living in the fucking bay area

I made friends with a couple people with a few people who have social skills and got jobs by having them recommend me

What's your asking price, user

by paying the tuiton
I didn't
I didn't
I didn't
I worked at my uncle's company
How did you find a job?
nepotism
How do you afford rent?
nepotism

lmaoing at your lives

>have to have good social skills to get a job
Guess it's time to go neet

This guy gets it

If you graduate high school, you're basically able to get into college lol. I myself graduated #2 in my high school class so getting into college was a breeze. No debt either.

By attending every single lesson of every course. I allowed myself to miss a maximum of 3 lessons per course. I also graduated with a degree in Mathematics (applied). Comp Sci and Math come easily to me.

Tbh, my aunt. She heard her manufacturing's IT department was looking for a programmer/developer, and after applying and interviewing I was chosen.

Familial connections, but then the internet for my job

Provided my both my CS and Math degree GPAs, a section highlighting the harder CS/math courses I had taken, skills (list programming languages, technologies, IT-stuff, etc.), then my internship experience, along with a projects section that detailed my internship-related projects and a couple undergrad ones, and maybe one side project.
>How did you find a job?
For my job, I used the popular job searching sites.. indeed, monster, glassdoor, linkedin, etc. If you put the right key-words on there, you'll be messaged by recruiters at least once every 2-3 weeks, even when just starting. I'm into .net software development, and there's a huge need for .net engineers it seems. Same with Java. Those 2 are the typical languages used at the enterprise level.

I also have a borderline-genius level IQ. I learn and understand new concepts much quicker than the average person. Not saying I'm at a Nikola Tesla level of creative genius potential, just that I learn very quickly.

With that said, I also suffer from OCD and have a horrible attention span. Kratom helps a lot with both of those though.

this lol

Attached: 1538964272266.png (249x249, 85K)

i didnt :-)

By signing up and paying for it.
I didn't.
I didn't.
I don't know.
I didn't.
My parent's connections.
I live with my parents.
I don't. I've worked for 6 years and still have only 4 digits of cash to my name. My future is so fucked and I don't even really care.
Because they would have to train a new person to do the things I do and they already have trouble keeping and training employees for other positions.

Attached: 1538702371169.jpg (448x250, 13K)

Just study lmao
Are you retarded or something? Literally open your books/sheets before exams, start reading them and when it's exam time write the correct answers!
ITS THAT EASY
The rest are literally tasks that you complete.

Attached: FB_IMG_1539382957235.jpg (540x720, 47K)

>that video
Peak NPC. No privacy, no personal space. They aren't even people. They're satisfied to live like animals. Abscheulich.

Attached: 1539310201582.jpg (651x525, 46K)

> mfw two time college dropout, paid off all my loans twice, 27yo
> listening to 35yo normie friends complain about how they are still $50k in debt
I don't get it.

Just like to point out for whatever reasons generally internships are only for people currently enrolled as undergraduates or recently graduated (6 months to 12 months ago).

Once you miss that time frame it becomes very unlikely to impossible to get an internship.

Just finna to teh fuk already

>he actually had to work hard and do shit on the side to do anything
who else fucking /made it/ without even trying?

Attached: 1518663883452.jpg (640x427, 34K)

$60/hr?

What if I lie about my job experience and add random shit on my resume after I get my CS degree?

I'm currently taking a two year IT systems management diploma at a community college and it has a bridging program into a couple of computer science programs at a couple of local universities. Is it worth it to do, or would I be better off focusing on getting my certs (CCNA, CCDA, A+, Security+ and etc.)

I've been out of school for a long time and am 30 now, and did terrible in high school, especially with math so I'm not sure I could even do the CS degree. The other problem is the military stops paying me after I'm done the diploma and I kind of need to work to survive.

You'll get found out and blacklisted.

I got into the best CS program in the country with my B- average because it was right after the dot-com bust and there were few applicants.

>How did you find a job?
I graduated right before the 2008 crisis and people were still hiring like crazy. A recruitment agency got me an interview that went "Do you know C#?" "No" "I'm sure you'll pick it up. You're hired."

>How do you afford rent?
Silicon valley salaries are even crazier than the rent. I've since bought a house though.

>I live 5 mins away from Palo Alto
Nice. I'm 10 minutes away from downtown by car.

How would I get found out? Do they call the company to confirm?
My cousins owns a business I can say I worked for him and he would go along with it.

I did it by social engineering/cheating/lying my way through it all
>read 'the art of human hacking'
You don't need to be a genius just be well researched in all things

Of course, any job worth it's salt is going to do a background check to see what you've been up to for the past 3 years at the least. So whatever you put on your resume better be airtight.

If you can't pass Calc 1 a traditional CS path probably isn't for you. Look into an AS in networking or similar. Paired with the right certs, you'll be golden.

A local university to me offers a computer science degree and an applied computer science degree. What is the difference?

Do you really need to get a college degree though? Can't you get certs for SQL/database work? Genuinely asking as I'm at the final point of a dead end career and have been looking to make a change to the IT field.

If it works the same way with CS as with statistics, applied is for the dummies.

You'd still get a good job though.

Community college. I had a 2.4 high school GPA because dude weed lmao but managed a 4.0 (they only did whole grades, no A+ or A-) at the CC and then had my pick. Turned down Stanford for a full ride at UCSB because I'm not a business or law major so nobody actually cares where it came from.
I didn't. Worthless degree that describes your ability to do exactly nothing in particular. I majored in straight maths (same problem but less courses) and used actuarial exams to get into that field, then certifications and personal projects to get into programming.
Try not to be autistic and don't pretend you're anything but what you are.
College resources.
Certs and experience. Fall for the community service or personal skills meme. Anything to put you above the other guys just like you.
>How did you find a job?
Internships set me up for my actuary job at their company. I got scouted from LinkedIn for my programming job.
>How do you afford rent?
I don't live in (((California))) anymore. I had to live in a van when I did.
>I'm currently in community college and I just failed Calc 1...
Welp. You have a room temperature IQ. Enjoy the trades. I'm not joking, there's no point in forcing yourself to do intellectual work if you're not cut out for it. You'll have an easier time doing something repetitive with your hands.
>How do you live knowing your job can be replaced by someone overseas? By A.I?
I have a position that requires non-procedural thought. No machine or brown person could handle it.
>Oh god please help this industry is too competitive
"Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live."

Well I am a dummy admittedly. When it comes to math at least. Or maybe I just didn't give enough of a shit or try hard enough in high school. Im just not confident I could handle the math with a regular CS degree.

It's easy, just fucking apply to one a few months before you graduate high school.

You don't need a CS degree to get a job in CS.

You don't need internships to get good paying jobs. Just gain experience while you're in college on your own. The rest is BS communications and dealing with other people.

You don't need internships. Not everyone in the world is a mental midget who works at IBM or Blackcock.

I have gaps because I am only human. Be honest with people. Write down your experience. Come up with some bullshit that you know you can do.

>How did you find a job?

By looking for them.

>How do you afford rent?

If you live alone, you're pretty much fucked in 2018. You need to live with at least 2 other people to disperse the burden. Don't live in a city. Learn how to commute with a bike. It's fun.

>How do you...?

Shut up.

There are lots of great jobs in IT besides the traditional software engineer. They pay good too.

>>How did you complete your Computer Science degree?
>I didn't. Worthless degree that describes your ability to do exactly nothing in particular. I majored in straight maths (same problem but less courses) and used actuarial exams to get into that field, then certifications and personal projects to get into programming.

Literally anyone with a CS degree is a fucking worthless piece of shit. Art majors don't apply to art jobs. Science majors don't apply to science jobs. Engineers don't do engineering, niggas.

Learn business and keep learning.

I hope you mean "teach yourself business" and not "major in business". Even a CS degree is worth more than a business degree, if not by much. Majoring in business is only a good move if you're a legacy and want to rub shoulders with other rich kids at your daddy's Ivy League alma mater.

I shook a lot of hands, made lots of small deals, worked on trust building and being a reliable person, always putting in as much work where I could when I could, super fucking boomer to say, but it really did help me get into a lot of cool things.

Right here.

I make 90k a year because some Indian company likes to overstaff under qualified juniors for lead positions.

Attached: 1441982350471.jpg (600x600, 88K)

Of the Ivies, I think you can only major in business at two of them as an undergrad - Penn and Cornell. Not exactly the top of the Ivies either.