Heat

Winter is coming and heating is technology.
How are you planning to stay warm for the cold upcoming cold months? Personally my server produces so much heat that I'm still warm even though it's nearly 30F

Attached: 1535688182675.jpg (1080x1677, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Dr-Infrared-Heater-Portable-1500-Watt/dp/B002QZ11J6/
mass.gov/service-details/mass-projected-household-heating-costs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>invest in blankets
>put insulation sheets over windows
>don't haste money on home heating
>wrap in blankets and get /comfy/
>computers run faster
sounds like a plan

Buy a crypto miner.

amazon.com/Dr-Infrared-Heater-Portable-1500-Watt/dp/B002QZ11J6/

Attached: Infrared-Heater-Buying-Guide.jpg (400x400, 98K)

I have a natural gas furnace in my house. And a gas fireplace. That's usually how I stay warm. Keep the house at 68'F and then use blankets and dress a bit heavier.

>put insulation sheets over windows
Why not just buy decent windows that keep the heat in?

>don't haste money on home heating
Unless you live in Florida you're going to have to spend some money on heating

but crypto mining is dead. plus that'd be more electricity wasted than actual heating

Nice, I have a portable heater similar to that. Hopefully I wont need it this winter depending on how well my server heats my room.

>That's usually how I stay warm.
It's buying gas to fuel it more expensive than just using electric heating though? Also I didn't know any houses still use gas. Must've been built in the 70s.

>but crypto mining is dead. plus that'd be more electricity wasted than actual heating
Wrong. Heat is where energy goes when it can no longer be of use. You can't make heating "more efficient" when it is literally the byproduct of inefficiency.
Simple conservation of energy. Each Joule of energy that is used in your mining rig will end up as heat. Joule for joule.
Unless your heating systems are able to literally create energy (protip, they can't) your heater will not use less energy than your mining rig.
The only thing a heater might be better at is using MORE energy and costing you MORE money and thus warm you up faster.

Holy fuck I never thought of it like that. So instead of an X watt heater I can buy an X watt miner and make some money back

By rendering videos in my iMac

You won't make any money mining anymore. It's a complete waste of time

Yes, buy several thousand dollar worth miner, heat your room/house with it and make 2$ back

I live in southern commiefornia so this is the comfiest time of the year desu.

>Why not just buy decent windows that keep the heat in?
Insulation sheets are 80% of the effectiveness for 10% of the cost.

Replacing windows is not cheap.

>free heating
>no wait, actually made $2 heating instead of costing $700

You may think that is not saving money, but it actually is.

Some gypsy once gave me the tip that newspaper is good for body heat isolation

making hooch is technology and hooch is keeping me warm and cozy.

Attached: 1531725129219.jpg (2592x1944, 620K)

>wood stove with water jacket
>radiators in every room
>anytime i need to pee i just throw another piece of wood to keep the fire going
>mfw

Attached: 1412723507414.gif (184x141, 1024K)

You may as well burn paper money

>not installing stained glass windows so you can bask in the warmth of god's love

Its not saving if spend more than you save

That's illegal in most places.
Many shiners are now using E85 fuel. It's probably safer. Sure might have some toxins in it if it isn't separated enough but I'd rather take the chance of that than drink some hillbilly shit with methanol in it that will make me go blind.

You seem to be misunderstanding the accounting.
If you make $2 net profit on the miner (already accounting for electricity costs) then you get free heating from it.
~$700 you would've spent on electricity you are no longer spending:
mass.gov/service-details/mass-projected-household-heating-costs
In other words, your miner saved you money on heating. You could use the heating savings to have the rig "pay for itself"

>well insulated apartment
>comfy aircon
What else can you ask for?

Attached: 40087224061_ed71dee07e_o.jpg (1920x1080, 609K)

Also this is a comfy winter in Tokyo thread now

Attached: 25634123267_d745f54c39_o.jpg (2560x853, 1.5M)

Are you one of those people advocating "green" tech like solar and wind turbines?
Its almost a certainty that 700$ miner will never pay for itself. Many reasons for it, one if them is that every new coin has higher computational cost, the 2$ dollar worth of coin today is only gonna be worth 20 cents next year.

I take my macbook out of the closet and open up safari.

Attached: 1535611771582.jpg (768x893, 184K)

I'm making my own Gentoo based distro and will be compiling a lot, maybe even make a limited binhost.

Attached: buntoo.png (751x751, 130K)

This will be my last winter living in a poorly isolated apartment using radiators to keep warm. Next year it's pic related.

Attached: underfloor.jpg (640x480, 192K)

What are those red lines?

neat.but does it mine coins?

9900K at stock should be enough for my family. I had our gas disconnected.

Attached: wfr.png (786x477, 1.03M)

Shlongs with throttling nano-MacBooks inside.

I'll micromanage valves of the radiators in my apartment while occasionally opening windows a bit to freshen the air.