At what age did you grow out of caring what OS, editor and programming language you use?

At what age did you grow out of caring what OS, editor and programming language you use?

Attached: 611008-leisure_suit_larry_52.jpg (425x350, 13K)

Birth.

I stopped caring about OS and editor a long time ago.

But I didn't stop caring about programming language. I would rather kill myself than becoming a C# or Java drone, or a JS web hipster, or a Python or PHP backend grinder. I devoted 7 years of my life after my bachelor's (master + phd) in order to get as far away from those kind of jobs as possible although I had to do it a little in order to support myself financially while doing a master's.

C# is fine. Java is fine. JS is fine. PHP sucks. You're simply a shallow person. You use software based on all of those langs every day. Show some respect.

Never really cared, always used what I wanted to use, never got into distro wars.
I have my preferences but whatever gets the job done.

Two months ago when I reached 30 (wizardry). As I type this I'm waiting for this girl to show up to ask her out.

ITT: the five people on Jow Forums who don't embark on stupid "X over Y" holy wars.

Wasted quints.

>You're simply a shallow person.
No, I care about what I'm supposed to do for 8+ hours every day until I retire.

I have worked as a Java programmer, a PHP programmer, a JavaScript programmer and a Python programmer. While the languages themselves are nice to work in, the people you work with and the tasks you do and solutions you make are not.

This is why I transitioned to embedded and HPC and never looked back on webdev or database applications again.

At least there's proof we exist

Attached: 344343.jpg (247x500, 28K)

Well then you're killing the messenger for bringing you a bad message.

No one forces you to use those languages. They are tools that can get the job done. That's all. The moment you start thinking about them using human emotion, you've already lost.

I use fucking ubuntu, I gave up a long time ago.

>No one forces you to use those languages.
You are when you're employed by a company that use them.

>They are tools that can get the job done.
They are tools for specific purposes, which mean that they are closely correlated with all the extra luggage they come with.

>The moment you start thinking about them using human emotion, you've already lost.
Not really, it's called passion. Again, you're supposed to do this 8 hours or more every working day until you retire. If you are indifferent, then your life must be really boring. I could never use so much time of my life and not care deeply about what I was using it for.

>not working on your own business
Your fault.

>They are tools for specific purposes, which mean that they are closely correlated with all the extra luggage they come with.
Your point?

>Not really, it's called passion.
If you can't develop passion for C#, you can't develop passion for any other language.

>Again, you're supposed to do this 8 hours or more every working day
Why? I work on my own business and I work 4 hours per 2-3 days.

>If you are indifferent, then your life must be really boring
It's not indifference, it's a child-like curiosity. What pisses me off the most is when some newbie discovers programming, tries out C#, and then people like you flood him with bullshit about how C# is the worst language ever and taint his naturally curious and explorative mindset. Basically you lost your curiosity and now you find C# disgusting. If you put yourself into the shoes of a 5 year old, I guarantee you any language will seem magical. It's just that you've grown into a boring adult that feels the need to differentiate and paint things black and white.

>Your fault.
I don't want to work with administration and management. The paper mill kills my passion.

>Your point?
If you work with JavaScript, you tend to work front-end web development and tend to be placed in that kind of culture.

>If you can't develop passion for C#, you can't develop passion for any other language.
I don't have passion for programming languages, I have passion for the task I'm using the language for. I don't find anything passionate about making SharePoint applications at all, for example.

>Why? I work on my own business and I work 4 hours per 2-3 days.
Good for you, but running a business and dealing with the paper work and hunting for customers and clients is not my kind of thing. I'd rather do R&D like I do now, and let others deal with how to market it and sell it and turn it into a product.

>It's not indifference, it's a child-like curiosity
It seems like indifference to me, especially when you only work so little as you do. That doesn't sound like passion at all.

>people like you flood him with bullshit about how C# is the worst language eve
I don't do this, I'm responding to your questions why I don't personally want to be a .NET developer for the rest of my life.

>Basically you lost your curiosity and now you find C# disgusting.
I'm not curios about something I used to do and have experience with (well, not C# but Java, but anyway).

>If you put yourself into the shoes of a 5 year old, I guarantee you any language will seem magical.
Again, I don't give a fuck about the language. I give a fuck about what I do with the language. Creating something that simply retrieves records from a database and presents it to the user because that is what your clients want is not my idea of something worth spending time on.

>It's just that you've grown into a boring adult that feels the need to differentiate.
No, I've grown into a boring adult that has realised that life is too short to not care about how you spend your time.

>I don't want to work with administration and management. The paper mill kills my passion.
Fair enough but the perks are undeniable.

>If you work with JavaScript, you tend to work front-end web development and tend to be placed in that kind of culture.
True 10 years ago. Not true today. You have desktop JS dev. You have a rich backend ecosystem.

>I don't have passion for programming languages, I have passion for the task I'm using the language for. I don't find anything passionate about making SharePoint applications at all, for example.
I mean, ok. But the same way I find, say, French, an interesting language, I find C# an interesting language.

>Good for you, but running a business and dealing with the paper work and hunting for customers and clients is not my kind of thing. I'd rather do R&D like I do now, and let others deal with how to market it and sell it and turn it into a product.
Fair enough.

>It seems like indifference to me, especially when you only work so little as you do. That doesn't sound like passion at all.
I work on business related things 4 hours per 2-3 days. I fill the rest of my time with working on my hobby stuff or studying things I don't know about.

>I don't do this, I'm responding to your questions why I don't personally want to be a .NET developer for the rest of my life.
Good. The worst thing you can do is kill curiosity by bombarding someone with opinions you've accumulated yourself.

>Again, I don't give a fuck about the language. I give a fuck about what I do with the language. Creating something that simply retrieves records from a database and presents it to the user because that is what your clients want is not my idea of something worth spending time on.
Different languages do different things. If you care about what you can do with a language, then you also care about the language, since not every language can fit every task.

28, bought a mac, have never bothered with anything technical since, havent really played a game since.

Wasted

what you do ?

>True 10 years ago. Not true today. You have desktop JS dev. You have a rich backend ecosystem.
I've worked as an application developer and with back-end web for many years. I hate it, every single thing about it.

>I mean, ok. But the same way I find, say, French, an interesting language, I find C# an interesting language.
That's good. I think Python is an extremely comfy language, and I think C is absolutely horrible, but I still mostly program in C because the task I do require C.

>I work on business related things 4 hours per 2-3 days.
Good for you, but most people running their own business do not have it this way, and especially not until they have steady and regular clients. Something like 90% of all startups fail, and people work their ass off with no safety or guarantees.

Also, I'm a workaholic by nature, so I combined my interests with my profession as far as it was doable. This is why I dug down in the field for my master's and phd rather than quit after a bachelor's degree and go work for money. My work now is basically a continuation of my phd thesis.

>I fill the rest of my time with working on my hobby stuff or studying things I don't know about.
I'd just like to add that R&D, like I do, is mostly trying to do stuff I don't understand or know anything about.

>If you care about what you can do with a language, then you also care about the language, since not every language can fit every task.
Yes, which is why I don't like working with C# or Java for example, as they limit me to work with a certain type of problems and solutions which I find absolutely nothing interesting about.

I work with R&D for a company that makes hardware and software for creating shared memory architectures using PCIe. We have clients in everything from custom rugged-environment embedded stuff to large-scale HPC clusters to cloud providers.

I use whatever I have to use for the job.
I will never stop caring, though.

>I've worked as an application developer and with back-end web for many years. I hate it, every single thing about it.
Well people like different things. I enjoy front-end myself, and most people seem to hate it.

What if it's some Russian bot samefagging?

You should absolutely do what you enjoy, that is my point. Especially if you're going to work 8 hours every day until retirement doing it for a living. Life is too short to not care about what you're doing as a job.

Cause a Russian bot wouldn't post these

Attached: sexxy.jpg (1280x720, 39K)

Bump

Once I grew up, and realised that giving a shit about such makes me look extremely autistic, and is just holding me back from any normal social interaction

>JS is fine
It really isn't

You can complain all day long about how == doesn't work as you expect it to but at the end of the day JS is an industrial superlanguage. It's damn useful and it's damn fast, and the quirks aren't that bad either. Take a look at PHP's quirks and then come back and tell me how JS is the worst thing ever. It's really not.

You can complain all day long about how shared_ptrs doesn't work as you expected it to but at the end of the day C++ is an industrial superlanguage. It's damn useful and it's damn fast, and the quirks aren't that bad either. Take a look at Rust's quirks and then come back and tell me how C++ is the worst thing ever. It's really not.

I wouldn't tell you that anyway. C++ and JS are two of my favorite languages.

You can complain all day long about how undefined behavior doesn't work as you expect it to but at the end of the day C is an industrial superlanguage. It's damn useful and it's damn fast, and the quirks aren't that bad either. Take a look at Go's quirks and then come back and tell me how C is the worst thing ever. It's really not.

Agreed

Lol

Sounds pretty gay

When I had my first job in the industry and realized that nobody gave a single fuck about the tools you used as long as you did your job well. I used vim before, I use eclipse now.

Good thread.

>Grow out of a preference
Have you met old people?
Preferences and habits just grow stronger with time

Then ask him out

Well I only hate Windows, it's unusable.

You must be retarded as fuck because millions of people use Windows just fine even if it has some issues.

this fuckin faggot right here

>Would rather kys than become a shitty language drone.
>Proceeds to limit the amount of languages he can use
>Gets a PhD which is immediately outdated

Literally read the rest of the thread.

>posting the shittiest of all Larry games
gtfo pleb

bump for bumps