AUDIO

No virgin bachelor JBL or hissing powered garbage.

Attached: 5881_Usher_Dancer_Mini-X_Diamond_Walnut.jpg (1066x1369, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shopgoodwill.com/Item/58953454
shopgoodwill.com/Item/59088821
youtube.com/watch?v=trrYuv1gdNk
livingsound.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Yamaha-NS-5000-review-hfnews.pdf
avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/yamaha-ns-5000-loudspeakers-review-test-488372
amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FMKT42W/?coliid=I1ZB0ICMS7FKPO&colid=2UVECDAMWSJUC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2
theabsolutesound.com/articles/focal-chorus-706v-loudspeaker/
bc-acoustique.com/en/vintage-en/range-2012-ex-series/ex-2221-amplificateur-hi-fi-2x70w-bluetooth-1-detail
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>when you find monitor audio gold for $100

shopgoodwill.com/Item/58953454

Can someone explain to me how their woofers work? I assume they are just play low enough that waves diffract and do not care about front surface? Am I right or there is more to it?

Attached: genelec the ones.jpg (1064x644, 75K)

z623

exactly, the midrange is crossed over low enough so the woofers don't play anything that's not diffracted all around anyways

Very nice design then, I really like how it basically uses the whole front of the baffle as their speakers, while at the same time having a huge waveguide.
Need to hear them some time.

>AUDIO
Whats hapen to the /ag/ threads?

some dumb nigbass lover killed ag last thread by making a new thread because he hates "audiophile" and told them to fuck off.
Turns out they contribute the most.

kys

shopgoodwill.com/Item/59088821

speakers that won't frighten away qt grils

Attached: ls50-wireless-white-lifestyle-2.jpg (700x433, 229K)

youtube.com/watch?v=trrYuv1gdNk

not my cup of tea but they employ high end electronics

Attached: 727px-IBC_2008_Genelec_8020B_cut_02.jpg (727x1024, 144K)

Sure

Attached: rl901k.jpg (1280x848, 171K)

>Tor Transformer with hole pointing TOWARDS MAGNET

Shame. It was almost perfect.

Attached: 1019a.jpg (998x1400, 111K)

gethain has a bauhaus look

Attached: CIMG2314.jpg (806x615, 106K)

Attached: P1100240.jpg (1280x960, 139K)

Attached: s-l1200.jpg (900x1200, 183K)

Geithain has a "fuck your usual designs, we are doing our own thing and do not care" look.

I need a set of speakers for use at my computer desk.They don't have to sound good any where but 1.5-2 feet in front of my monitor.
My budget is about $800.
Right now I'm leaning towards the focal chorus 706 and some acoustic foam to put on the wall behind them.

focal, monitor audio (front port), kef q150, and pic related

Attached: qAcoustic 1010.jpg (900x900, 73K)

>speakers that won't frighten away qt grils
This board scared away a girl with huge JBLs

Attached: 17.jpg (5472x3648, 3.08M)

What does Jow Forums think about this speaker? I just found out about it yesterday and it seems very interesting to say the least.

Attached: yamaha_ns5000_036.jpg (2048x1365, 282K)

What makes it different from any other usual 3-way design?

Thanks. I wish I could afford the more expensive monitor audios like the silver, they are gorgeous.
How would pic related perform in comparison to the focals?
The focals are more expensive but I can get them for under 800 used while these monitor audios are $500.
Thank you for the help by the way I appreciate it.

Attached: monitoraudiobronze2.jpg (400x600, 24K)

A lot
All cones are constructed with Zylon weave, the cabin has built in resonators to deal with the internal pressure, the tweeter and mid-range has a very special tube behind them that reduces back pressure. The cabin is not made out of MDF like all the other speakers and they've scanned the cabin with lasers to figure out how to brace it.

Attached: NS5000_1200px[1]_1200x761_b3a80a7f311bfaaab52d26351f00029b.jpg (1200x761, 91K)

b&w did this with the matrix series in the 80/90ies

The idea is the same but the design is not. B&W uses one tube and Yamaha uses 3 of different lengths and sizes. I don't know what's best, but it sure gives the impression of that they are serious when you compare it to the small chambers the other manufactures tend to use.

Attached: img_0032-1.jpg (3264x2448, 1.3M)

why the fuck are there no reviews for this? how new is it?

jbl stage a130

Attached: 1417298.jpg (1200x630, 45K)

see

And how it measures?

Those are logitech shitty speakers though? If the sub is that important I can just get a decent set of $500 speakers and spend like $300 on the sub.

Hard to tell. The only measurement I've found so far has been Yamahas own, and a FR-graph doesn't tell much, specially when it's not specified under what circumstances.
It's a expensive, exlusive low-volume speaker so I don't think there will be any more to go on.
Can't even find a reseller in my country..

Attached: Réponse-en-fréquence-NS-5000.jpg (707x377, 45K)

I wish every manufacturer posted information like neumann or genelec does.

most stay away from sharing useful information for a good reason

I guess everybody should just buy from manufacturers that post info and thats it.

I wish that all speakers were measured by a independent partner. Reading reviews and forum posts to understand what's good is just a impossible waste of time.
But SoundStage Australia said:
>"While aspects of their sound may not be to everyone’s taste and I would emphasise again the importance of system matching given the varying results I obtained with two vastly different yet reference-grade amplifiers, they deliver outstanding qualities and standard-setting sound in a number of their performance parameters.The NS-5000s offer exceptional value for money."
So it's probably good in one way or another.

Attached: collage.jpg.d27193bf2a7190a557da1a106aea86fb.jpg (1024x808, 71K)

most people can't interpret a full set of measurements anyways and rather listen to stuff in vastly different rooms and 'compare' that way throwing around some buzzwords so what gives. If I were to build speakers for the hifi crowd I wouldn't give a fuck about posting measurements

Zylon, like carbon fiber, is an interesting material. Very stiff, lightweight, and with much greater inherent damping than the usual aluminium/beryllium/diamond/ceramic materials. There are different varieties of Zylon, most which won't give the sound velocity on par with beryllium. Anisotropic property of the material could do strange things off-axis and give it a cross-shaped sound beam.
Here it's a sandwich between nickel and copper(ew). I would think a better result could be had using Al/Mg alloy. Maybe they couldn't get the desired cone durability that way, but the cone resonance would be shoved higher up and clear out of the audio band. Then again, sometimes dome designers count on that.
>laser scanning and vibrometer
Standard if you have resources and care about making a good speaker.
>plywood
It's more expensive, but its use is common as you drift into the high-end. Lightweight and stronger than MDF.
>resonating chambers
It's an uncommon technique, but you see it from time to time.
>limited damping
Fibrous wadding material decreases the effectiveness of the port, but it is needed to control axial resonances of the cabinet cavity. So, the absorber has to be placed at the velocity maxima, in the middle of the cabinet, instead of being wastefully applied to the walls.
They use very little, as little as they need to.
>graphs
No off-axis, which I would say is the more interesting figure.

livingsound.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Yamaha-NS-5000-review-hfnews.pdf
avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/yamaha-ns-5000-loudspeakers-review-test-488372

>listen to stuff in vastly different rooms and 'compare' that way throwing around some buzzwords so what gives.
This triggers me so much
>If I were to build speakers for the hifi crowd I wouldn't give a fuck about posting measurements
I think it would be nice to prove why my speakers are the best. Must it must be difficult to start a brand today and compete against the big ones.
I would spend a fortune on impressing people at shows and on ads

Attached: 14b.jpg (758x527, 139K)

Thanks for the very interesting reading

Attached: 28676324107_12f09c0247_b.jpg (1024x576, 180K)

Not only it is diffucult to make reputation, but it is really hard to compete vs economy of scale. You just can't make cabinets like genelec, for example, does.

Chorus 700 series is steaming garbage (Chorus 800 leaps and bounds above). You're better off with a pair of studio monitors (100% of the sound at 50% of the price) and a cheap interface.

I have a question about signals. Im currently running on just a headphone amplifier, but pretty soon I'm going to be hooking up my powered sub and some passive bookshelf speakers. I plan on having it connected in a pc->headphone amp->rca from amps 'line out' to subs 'line in'->speakers via speaker out on back of the sub

For reference the headphone amp in question is the creative x fi hd. Will the line out signal be amplified through to the speakers, or will I need an alternative amplifier?

Attached: 201810_dutchdutch-4.jpg (1000x667, 521K)

Is there a vertical off-axis frequency plot for them?

amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FMKT42W/?coliid=I1ZB0ICMS7FKPO&colid=2UVECDAMWSJUC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

any good?

Attached: 1538862479914.gif (300x300, 1.5M)

nope

any reason?

Lol so they threw two drivers in a box. Sick engineering. Ground up unicorn horn sprinkled on the diaphragms too I bet

Not even good as firewood

Soundbars are lifestyle garbage for soccer moms.
They have shit sound. Do you need reasons for that? The cheapest mass manufactured drivers, tiny drivers, tiny cabinet, made for thots, not people who respect themselves.

>Making fun of JBLs engineering, can't even count to three himself
Stay classy

Attached: 34793_m.jpg (1024x830, 479K)

>maximum pleb
wew laddie

okay, so what would you recommend for under £120 that looks good in a living room?

Looks are subjective
But even amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2 is better to my eyes than a fucking bar

Bumping this. Im wondering how it could possibly be better than the arenas

is the spec better on those than the sound bar?

Yes you worthless dumbass. Every soundbar is garbage, period

Attached: Bill-Kucharski-1.jpg (2016x1512, 746K)

Attached: JBL ROOM 1.jpg (2576x1932, 1.64M)

Attached: DhWKE7pU0AEpwBZ.jpg (1200x900, 183K)

Attached: Dm9jAhaX0AAXgzo.jpg (1199x871, 134K)

sonus faber was making very nice speakers in the past when Francesco Serblin was the owner.

Attached: 979DBA98-6CF8-48EE-8FCF-5BFD08BA2A8F.jpg (800x1037, 888K)

first. why 800$ if you don't want a good positioning scenario for bookshelf speaker.

second why are you asking specifically for not the best possible speaker for the money

third. why do you want to put acoustic foam behind the fucking speaker, do you even know what acoustic foam does?

fourth, whats your current equipment like amp and dac?

JDS labs EL stack to Vanatoo T0s, and fostex TH-500RP headphones.

Upgrade to Yamaha HS7 and HS8S sub later.

What's wrong with this setup?

since you're putting down quite a bit of money, you should make that decision by googling "monitor bronze vs focal 706" and read some reviews and forum notes

focal 706 has some problems with imaging noted on a few reviews which may or may not bother you, for example: "I also noted an occasional glare on violins played in a certain register and, less often, on vocals. I attribute this to either a hardness at a certain frequency or a peak in the response curve. That I heard this only occasionally suggests that whatever is causing it is confined to a narrow frequency band. Overall, the treble was extremely clean, free from hardness and grain, and well integrated with the music. The 706V had a large and spacious presentation, with images that tended to be a bit billowy and diffuse rather than tightly focused."
theabsolutesound.com/articles/focal-chorus-706v-loudspeaker/

either of these models will be relatively easy to resell without loss of value over the next 3-5 years

you might also look at dali since it looks like you prefer a larger device in this price range, depending on where you live

pic not related

Attached: 59928521911413al.jpg (672x486, 75K)

yamaha are not for music

Disagree. They are just flat.

the biggest "problem" with sonus faber is the speaker looks so nice, if youre room isn't as nice, it really clashes -- and my room isn't so nice

they are as flat as a flatchested loli with no personality

Please save this kind of abusive language for the /ag & /am threads. AUDIO threads have higher standards.

Attached: 44288425_10155684473211105_2812551289311854592_n.jpg (714x960, 83K)

and i cant afford them anayway, haha

What 2.1 set up would you recommend for $1,000USD?

1. its not expensive
2. if your gf likes it then its good
3. its not expensive
4. it won't mar the look of your living room
5. its better than tv audio

but if you want better audio, 2.0 set up would be much better and about the same cost, but there's the hassle of setting it up

Attached: d1684d76472c37d0cs.jpg (736x790, 103K)

Yeah. The original Guarneri was my dream speaker about 10-15 years ago.
Really considered getting the Traditions, but I decided that I wanted something bigger when I spent that kind of money. Quite insane to buy a speaker that's very limited for that price.

Attached: gaurneriwenge.jpg (1600x1382, 492K)

The new Electa Amator III is pretty sexy

Attached: 04.jpg (3840x2040, 436K)

what amp do you have.

what room dimensions.

what genre you listen to.

they're all sexy except maybe those chameleons and certain veneres

Attached: Sonus-faber-Guarneri-Tradition-lifestyle-2_big.jpg (2000x1254, 901K)

I didn't realize there was a difference, sorry

Not him but
>amp
None
>room dimensions
20' x 15'
>music
Rock/electronic. Looking for more home theater style setup, though

Considering going with a pair of jbl bookshelf speakers, a sub yet to be determined, and any used receiver I can find with at least 100w per channel and 5.1 to allow for a better surround setup down the line

Should be easy to pick up a used model, especially for a popular speaker like the Yamaha.
I feel like you should be able to pick up a bigger sub than the HS8S for that price, but not necessarily with XLR input.

consider going to an audio salon to hear a range

None, self powered only.
12x12 room
Everything. And I mean everything. Punk, reggae, opera, classic stoner rock, hip hop, hardcore, progressive black metal, everything.

I'm being offered this for cheap (used). Does anyone know anything about it?

bc-acoustique.com/en/vintage-en/range-2012-ex-series/ex-2221-amplificateur-hi-fi-2x70w-bluetooth-1-detail

dynaudio emit 10 (800) and a bigger marantz receiver, but used (200); skip the subwoofer

if you like to scrounge for deals, dynaudio focus 110 (700) which is nearly two tiers better

FIGHT ME

Attached: dynaudio_emit_m10_01-1.jpg (790x430, 26K)

>skip the subwoofer
why

Attached: 2017-10-06-TST-Sonus-faber-Guarneri-Tradition-9.jpg (1024x630, 72K)

theres two choices in 2.0/2.1 for the $1000 range:

excellent 2.0 L/R and good receiver
or
good 2.0 L/R, fair 0.1, and meh receiver

excellent 2.0 can go deep enough in the bass, to about 45hz, so that you won't miss the subwoofer "much"; shitty low end subs (under 400) make everything sound like dubstep

Attached: img4391light.jpg (3888x2592, 359K)

It looks decent (dual mono toroids and reduced path) but I don't see many reviews.

Attached: bc-acoustique-ex-2221-integrated-amplifier.jpg (670x516, 45K)

how much does the receiver really even matter? don't you just need to make sure you have enough wattage and channels for your setup?

80s-riffic!

100w per channel.

Attached: s-l400.jpg (400x225, 18K)

nad c326 250€

Kef Q350 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and some neat stands for 70-130€

ruarkaudio MR1 MKII

good recommendation but not powered.

on a sidenote to my behalf,
i'm actually quite confident that the Quadral Argentum series is quite powerfull.. i'm eager to try their highter tier speakers if they sound better with the same real live imaging the Argentum 520 did

theres shitty receivers:
onkyo, sherwood, kenwood

there's okay all around receivers:
sony, yamaha, denon, harman

there's power receivers (vigorous but not aways refined):
pioneer, rotel

there's musical receivers:
marantz

they're all about the same price tiers when used ($20 to $200)
power receivers will tend to drive much larger speakers without struggling
musical receivers may not give the bass but they make music sound like music and not movie soundtrack
all around receiver do everything relatively well but not quite as good as the other categories
shitty receivers are okay if your speakers are average but they won't make excellent speakers meet their potential or may even make excellent speakers sound like junk because the amp is too weak or the preamp is not well made or the dac is not good

these comments only apply "in general" since there's always exceptions, and don't include the class of audiophile gear

Attached: 1265199-yamaha-p2200.jpg (1100x825, 230K)

If you have Quadral... not sure why you're getting new speakers in this price range since it seems like a sideways move.

I recently found a 14 year old Marantz for $20. No HDMI but its sweet with music. Heavy as fuck compared to most receivers this size.

Attached: 5d914a264a5b9c72f628c876fde7.jpg (1600x786, 627K)

Sexy

Attached: 201802_yamaha6.jpg (1000x667, 254K)

i still have to discover monitoraudio and dynaudio after my journey is done.

quadral has sold me on their realistically clear sound reproduction on the argentum 520. i mean dali is known for clear imaging but the quadrals are just soooo much better at it, hard to believe actually

oh i assumed you know who i am.

i had the argentum for a couple of days before sending them back. i'm the dude who is constantly looking for the best speaker for the price range.

currently i have some Wharfedales Diamond 225 sitting here

Are you just buying speakers and then selling them for profit?