God dammit I was not prepared for this

god dammit I was not prepared for this.

Please tell me someone found a fix for non-matching dpi multi-monitor setups

Attached: 2018-10-21 15.40.54.jpg (2656x1494, 1.25M)

Tiling VM and don't put them right next to each other like you would with matching monitors. Use one as a main, and the other as a "side-monitor".

there has to be a solution. a third party app. something...?

How do you expect a solution to look like?

There is no way to do it. Windows already has GUI scaling issues, how do you expect it to GUI scale at different rates depending on window position?

You should have done your research, you're ALWAYS supposed to get a 2ndary panel with as close to the same PPI as possible to the first.

My general recommendation is to keep it within 10PPI for it to be mostly unnoticeable.

I use a 43" 4k at 103 PPI and a 27" 1440p at 109 PPI.

Ok. So. Basically... 4k monitors are 100% useless?

Some apps have text so small you need a microscope. Other apps are so blurry you'd think you are looking at a zoomed-in screenshot (which technically you are), other apps are so fucked up the text is overlaying.

PLUS, you can't even use a multiple-monitor setup...

Well, I guess I'll be sending the monitor back.

what a load of BS.

It might look less like shit if you tilt you right screen 90°

Basically yes

I've been saying this for over 18 months on Jow Forums. small panel size 4k monitors are useless for MOST people.

They do provide better image quality due to the higher pixel density (less jagged edges and shit due to their being smaller pixels). But you lose out on the desktop resolution due to GUI scaling.

That's why i've been recommending a minimum of 38-40" 4k panel for normal desktop use. Most people just brush it off though because they assume 40" panel size is retarded for that use. They just don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

In actual use, large panel 4k is the only reasonable option at the moment for most people.

Perhaps if you weren't too retarded to be using windows. there were some workarounds for you

I know that feel, happend when I used my old 4:3 TN Panel as a secondary screen.

set the scaling for each monitor separately you massive faggot.

Retard OP

wow gee thanks man i just canceled my 1440p monitor

>to be using windows
not be using*

I agree with that, either that or two not-so-big 1080p screens.

I mean you're stupid if you expected something else but when will you have half of something on one screen and half on another anyway?

Wouldn't ultra-wide 4k work fine tho?

>reddit spacing
>is retarded
like a clockwork

Example?

it works like this, set the scaling of your 4k monitor to whatever percentage it is vertically of your smaller monitor. so if the small monitor is 1080p then set scaling to 50%. because 2160p / 1080p = 50%.

4k monitors would be great if windows were upscaled with nearest neighbor instead of billinear resampling.
Not sure what you're talking about with multi-monitor though.

If you have a 27" 1440p next to a 27" 4k, they look fucking retarded due to mismatched pixel density.

>having asymmetric displays is a bad thing

The fuck is wrong with you? I love having my 1440x900 monitor off to the side, it's a great window for any utilities I have open. If I'm playing a game it's split 50/50 between spotify and discord. If I'm editing photos it's a full screen navigator view in photoshop. Two identical displays is boring.

Attached: 1538876373822.png (599x710, 539K)

> 2160p / 1080p = 50%

Get rid and install one of these new Dell motherfuckers. Model number in the pic realted title.

Attached: U4919dw-dell-49-monitor.jpg (1600x981, 160K)

Oh, well duh. Only retards would buy mismatched monitors. Doesn't Wayland support mixed DPI monitors though?

He's not complaining about asymmetric displays, he's complaining about mis-matched pixel densities.

What's better, Jow Forums...getting an ultra wide or getting a 4:3 1080 like that picture with that meme engineer?

Getting quads and having your post ignored.

damn how many schmeckles does that bad boy cost

Checked, also thanks for saving my post from being ignored. ;^)

$1699

>But you lose out on the desktop resolution due to GUI scaling.
So what? 1080p at 24" is like 92 ppi, it's disgusting as fuck to look at.

Then sit further back, a proper viewing distance is when you can no longer see individual pixels.

Generally that's at around 2-3 feet depending on PPI

I like two 1080 monitors. I use a desktop arm so I can set up one of them in portrait mode for coding.

Most Linux DEs or Android

There is no solution, 30 years ago nobody thought we'd have 600dpi displays by 2016, so muh Appul and muh Microshit didn't implement the necessary shit needed for flexible DPI/PPI scaling.
Mac OS X/macOS is also a hackjob in that regard, it has variable DPI settings (you can change those instead of resolution on retina macshit), there's only Linux that can handle shit like this.

>4k monitors are 100% useless?
>4k
>Jow Forums
>useless4u
Do you see a pattern here?

>Like a clockwork
>Calls someone else retarded
Calling someone "Reddit" isn't a good argument brainlet

Use the new photo viewer. The old one isn't DPI aware.

mad redditor is mad

Attached: 1464842647119.gif (320x240, 1.58M)

Nigga please, it is not going to look good at any reasonable sitting distance.

Attached: bd8.png (1190x906, 178K)

nice prize you there senpai

>curved monitor so all lines become bent

nty

Attached: 1535579666471.png (707x786, 126K)

You could try doing nvidia dsr, upscale the smaller monitor 4x. It's not gonna look pretty but it'll do the trick

Attached: 41715062_1843560435679534_3347770532983472128_n.jpg (720x720, 60K)

>Windows

go back

it's time to go home

You could watch movies on it

listen,

not all of us are 100% dedicated to, or employed in, tech.

I am a biochemist, I wouldn't tell you to "go home" when you asked advice about my domain.

Yes, I am a moron when it comes to the intricacies of tech. Try to accept that not everyone is a genie on this topic as you are.

Now, am I overreacting when I want to send the monitor back or are there elegant solutions to overcome the issue and I should just calm down...?

get a load of this triggered faggot
fuck off back to l.eddit

Well, it's a tech board, so either get more educated before trying to spread your retarded opinion or go fuck yourself. Apart from issues from OP, there are no real downsides in using hi-DPI screens unless you are too dumb to configure scaling ratio in your WM.

biotech is tech.

what is your opinion on artificial (via CRISPR-Cas9 transformed piRNA-clusters) persistent (as in transgenerational) RNAi of exogenous mRNAs? Should we take the vDNA route or rather go with genomic integration? Furthermore, do you expect the secondary cyclical piRNA biogenesis pathway to have antivial potential?

oh boy isn't it fun to talk about tech!
and you better have a clever answer or you don't belong on this board.

To be fair, someone moving from 720p to 1440p would instantly notice MUCH more desktop resolution to fit more shit on the screen.

However if you upgrade from 1440p to 4k both at 27", they'll have identical desktop size due to having to GUI scale the 4k panel to make your text large enough to read.

....Someone else is holding the gun against his head...

I don't have an opinion because I'm not educated enough to have it. If I went to a biotech board telling everyone that CRISPR-Cas9 sucks and we should stop researching it, you would call me a dumbass. But, unlike biotech, you don't have to spend 5 years to not be a retard in our field, you can literally "windows 10 apps are blurry text small 4k" into google and solve your fucking problem using just IQ>98.

lmao, butthurt.

there is no biotech board. only a tech board.
screen technology belongs here just as much as gene technology.

I figured you out alright. You take this board so seriously because it's the only place you feel like you can talk down on someone.

i repeat: LMAO!

>I use a 43" 4k at 103 PPI
which one? i'm checking out the sony kd43x720e. thoughts?

>too smart to google how to change display settings
>struggles with unreadable text
>protects his stupidity with all his internet might
I hope you invent ways to improve your biobrain soon. But seriously, it would be easier to google how to solve your problem.

>they'll have identical desktop size due to having to GUI scale the 4k panel to make your text large enough to read
That depends on how good your eyes are and what your viewing distance is. A 27" 4K monitor at about 60-70cm viewing distance is readable to me at 100% scaling, however it is not perfectly comfortable so I'd like to use slightly larger text. Using it at 125% is perfect for me, in which case it also provides more desktop space than a 1440p monitor (150% would be equivalent).

>drag window from one screen to the other
>goes from a tiny box to fuckhuge, or vice-versa

2018 and we can't even select resolution scaling filters, let alone per-window scaling.

>sharp text and details one one screen
>video or less-stressful text on the other
You're even more stupid because no screens would be at the same distance away from your eyes unless you put them all like five feet away.

>it would be easier to google how to solve your problem.

well that is not necessarily true, some people like to help just for the sake of it. And they often have more info about the subject than 90% of google links.

nty?

No thank you
LG 43UD79-b

thx user

install hackintosh

I'm using a 32" 4K panel at 125% scaling, effective working space 3072x1728. Still a sizeable productivity bump over 1440p (44% more real estate), and text is beautifully sharp. Every piece of software that I use scales perfectly. Even dragging windows between this and my 2560x1440 100% display works fine (I can reproduce your issue if I compare the scale while I'm still moving the window and it's between monitors, but after it's moved the app recalculates everything for the new monitor, and everything is correct).

A 40" would probably be slightly better (usable at 100% scale), but a good panel of that size wasn't in my budget. 32"@125% works perfectly and I would strongly recommend it if anyone's on the fence.

Just use it as 2 screens. Drag windows between them but don't put a window half on one and half on the other like a spastic. People have been using dual monitors this way since the 90s and it works fine.

Or you can use Windows 10 and let its default blurry-mode do its thing.

If you are using AMD card, go to driver setting and enable virtual resolution.
Then you can pump your old monitor resolution to match your new monitor.
I dont know nvidia equivalent though.

I have a 4k (tv), 1440p and 1080p monitors all together, all native scaling.

You get used to it, very few reasons to have a window sharing screens.

Attached: 9.51.png (240x240, 2K)

Yea I actually almost included 32" @125% scale as I viable alternative in my post. I agree that's an acceptable solution.