I have my first phone interview with Google for a data center technician job

I have my first phone interview with Google for a data center technician job

What can i do to prepare? I have just set up servers for personal use really, no commercial experience.

Attached: 102715995p-03-02.jpg (600x467, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComicallyMissingThePoint
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

suck tranny cocks

Wear a dress to the interview.

You're not going to get the job, but you'll get valuable interviewing experience

Nah, I needs it

Stock up on explosives for deployment at their datacenter

Google will read every Jow Forums comment you've ever written before your interview. You use Google captcha and it's Google servers. Think about it.

This is what I tell people to do, who ask me "how do I learn to be a Linux sysadmin?".

1: Set up a KVM hypervisor.

2: Inside of that KVM hypervisor, install a Spacewalk server. Use CentOS 7 as the distro for all work below. (For bonus points, set up errata importation on the CentOS channels, so you can properly see security update advisory information.)

3: Create a VM to provide named and dhcpd service to your entire environment. Set up the dhcp daemon to use the Spacewalk server as the pxeboot machine (thus allowing you to use Cobbler to do unattended OS installs). Make sure that every forward zone you create has a reverse zone associated with it. Use something like "internal.virtnet" (but not ".local") as your internal DNS zone.

4: Use that Spacewalk server to automatically (without touching it) install a new pair of OS instances, with which you will then create a Master/Master pair of LDAP servers. Make sure they register with the Spacewalk server. Do not allow anonymous bind, do not use unencrypted LDAP.

5: Reconfigure all 3 servers to use LDAP authentication.

6: Create two new VMs, again unattendedly, which will then be Postgresql VMs. Use pgpool-II to set up master/master replication between them. Export the database from your Spacewalk server and import it into the new pgsql cluster. Reconfigure your Spacewalk instance to run off of that server.

7: Set up a Puppet Master. Plug it into the Spacewalk server for identifying the inventory it will need to work with. (Cheat and use ansible for deployment purposes, again plugging into the Spacewalk server.)

8: Deploy another VM. Install iscsitgt and nfs-kernel-server on it. Export a LUN and an NFS share.

9: Deploy another VM. Install bakula on it, using the postgresql cluster to store its database. Register each machine on it, storing to flatfile. Store the bakula VM's image on the iscsi LUN, and every other machine on the NFS share.

10: Deploy two more VMs. These will have httpd (Apache2) on them. Leave essentially default for now.

11: Deploy two more VMs. These will have tomcat on them. Use JBoss Cache to replicate the session caches between them. Use the httpd servers as the frontends for this. The application you will run is JBoss Wiki.

12: You guessed right, deploy another VM. This will do iptables-based NAT/round-robin loadbalancing between the two httpd servers.

13: Deploy another VM. On this VM, install postfix. Set it up to use a gmail account to allow you to have it send emails, and receive messages only from your internal network.

14: Deploy another VM. On this VM, set up a Nagios server. Have it use snmp to monitor the communication state of every relevant service involved above. This means doing a "is the right port open" check, and a "I got the right kind of response" check and "We still have filesystem space free" check.

15: Deploy another VM. On this VM, set up a syslog daemon to listen to every other server's input. Reconfigure each other server to send their logging output to various files on the syslog server. (For extra credit, set up logstash or kibana or greylog to parse those logs.)

16: Document every last step you did in getting to this point in your brand new Wiki.

17: Now go back and create Puppet Manifests to ensure that every last one of these machines is authenticating to the LDAP servers, registered to the Spacewalk server, and backed up by the bakula server.

18: Now go back, reference your documents, and set up a Puppet Razor profile that hooks into each of these things to allow you to recreate, from scratch, each individual server.

19: Destroy every secondary machine you've created and use the above profile to recreate them, joining them to the clusters as needed.

Do these things and you will be fully exposed to every aspect of Linux Enterprise systems administration. Do them well and you will have the technical expertise required to seek "Senior" roles. If you go whole-hog crash-course full-time it with no other means of income, I would expect it would take between 3 and 6 months to go from "I think I'm good with computers" to achieving all of these -- assuming you're not afraid of IRC and google (and have neither friends nor family ...).

Phone interviews are nothing. Don't stress. If you get to the next round the recruiter from Google will send you a ton of info about the next round and things to prepare for.

*SNAP* yep that's going in my "recommendations I should follow but am too useless and lazy to" compilation

Don't know about that specifically, but for software engineers this is what I usually say:

>It's not an exam. You can and should ask follow-up questions and suggest different solutions.

> Always know which scale you are working at. Don't give 1 machine solutions when they expect 10,000.

>Discuss tradeoffs, edge cases, adversarial or degenerate input. Even something trivial like "reversing the words within a sentence" has considerations like "what constitutes a word in Chinese"

This. Phone interviews are for basic drooling retard/autist/sociopath screening. Prepare the impressive shit for the next round, assuming you get there.

This.
I'm a Data Engineer for a Fortune 5 company. Everything this user says is based. Especially CentOS... Learn it, love it. You can install CentOS desktop if you need to at first, but your prod machines will be command line only.

>iptables NAT for load balancing
While a good practice to learn iptables, I'd suggest to do that for something like a secure OpenVPN host with routing for outbound connections instead. HTTP load balancing should be done by an nginx instance.

let them know that you are considering HRT

You're not wrong, but part of enterprise Linux work involves supporting existing setups. If you're building from scratch, consider yourself lucky. Otherwise, a good chunk of your job will be supporting the existing hot garbage while trying to wrangle any sort of budget (time OR money) out of your boss for upgrades.

Not op but thanks!
Saved, this is some good challenges!

Attached: 1426580184602.gif (235x240, 1.93M)

capped it for posterity. thanks for taking the time to write this, user.

Attached: sysadmin-advice-from-g.png (1245x884, 127K)

> Use that Spacewalk server to automatically (without touching it) install a new pair of OS instances
What is this faggot shit and where is Ansible?

Uniroinically this.

None of this is relevant to the job. Everything is automated. All you do is replace hard drives or other faulty hardware.

> Nagios server
It's still alive, huh.
> All you do is replace hard drives or other faulty hardware.
Even automation routines has to be written and tested.

>Even automation routines has to be written and tested.
Not by the people in the data centers you numbskull.

True that, if you're referring to the OP.

>getting a boner over the prospect of landing a job at google
they're an advertising company, not some prestigious organization as proof of your 1337ness that you can fuck about all day at their headquarters' slides on.

and literally everyone who worked at google I've met were elitist conceited assholes

don't worry, they take pajeets regardless of their skills

Attached: output_baEK4B.gif (658x662, 40K)

Sounds like a lot of hassle mate, why not just install Windows Server 2016?

>tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComicallyMissingThePoint
Here's your (You)

Fuck I hope this is true. I passed the online coding sample screen pretty easily and have a phone interview tomorrow. I'm stressed as fuck over it. Should be doing leetcode right now but my stomach is just turning. I don't even really want the job that much 'cause I'd rather not move to the US, but a recruiter reached out to me and I figured I should at least try.

Not OP btw, this is for a SRE position.

bump

where at OP? I wanted to do the same here in SC.

If you have the knowledge it should go well, just try to keep yourself calm. Just had an interview and it went better than this socially awkward sperg could've hoped for.

Unless you're racking hardware you don't need to be in the DC.

It's funny how asymmetrical it is. For you this is a big thing that has you stressed out for days. Meanwhile, the interviewer doesn't even remember they're scheduled until the calendar notification reminds them, and they've forgotten you by the end of lunch.

why would the language be relevant in a program that simply accepts characters and orders them in reverse?

try your hardest not to be white or male.

Thanks for sharing with us, user. +5
Thanks for capping, user. +1

Attached: cute_2.gif (480x270, 1018K)

Considering my biggest fear is looking dumb, this is good to know.

If you are to reverse the words but not the sentence (or reverse the sentence without reversing the words), you need to know what constitutes a word.

In English you can mostly split on spaces, but this is not the case in e.g. Chinese.

It also matters if you simply want to reverse the string, because:
>some language's characters can't fit in a char in C or Java
>you'd need to split up ligatures in Arabic and other languages that use them heavily
>you'd need to support RTL/LTR swaps in Hebrew and other RTL languages that use them for foreign words
>you'd have to handle "ruby" annotations in Japanese kanji that should be individually reversed

>user frequent threads are loli and cuckold.
kek

Attached: FB_IMG_1525182079576.jpg (720x1280, 70K)

Mobile friendly edition

Attached: Screenshot_20181022-093729_Clover.jpg (810x4440, 1.41M)

Too late user
>got em
Jk, good luck, user you got this!

fuck off CentOS shill

thank you moot

I have a programming test tomorrow. Seems kinda boring and I really hate the commute, should I still go for it?

>Google will read every Jow Forums comment you've ever written before your interview. You use Google captcha and it's Google servers. Think about it.
Hi I'm the guy who does this. I give you guys a rating between 1-10 on your shitposts. Reddit spacing is NOT welcome at the googz.

But seriously no. We don't give a shit, just be competent for god's sake, if I have to interview one more bad candidate I'm slashing my wrists.

How important are grades for getting hired at Google? School pedogree?

t. have a bunch of WDs on my transcript.

That reddit spacing is on point.