/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1534031167030.png (660x495, 317K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/962346/booting-to-linux-leads-to-empty-screen-and-blinking-underscore/962354
github.com/derf/feh/issues/308
youtu.be/HHYXBdOgUrI?t=216
youtube.com/watch?v=45j3B8ZWG8c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Arch Linux.

what's recommended linux image viewer that supports animated gifs?

Third for Arch Linux

Third for Debian GNU/Linux.

U dick

Trisquel.

xviewer

Simple Gallery on F-Droid

Just use mpv with loop flag.

Debiantards are always behind the times

>mpvloat

Thanks for betatesting anyway.

I'm experiencing periodic sttuters on my Arch system, and I can't figure out what's causing this.
dmesg and journalctl did not help, what else should I look for?

What's the current state of nvidia drivers for GNU/Linux? Would switching to AMD make my life easier?

>hugs
creep
>smiles
creep
>kisses
rapist
>family
pervert
>sleep
seriously
>love
keep it yo yourself
>laughter
creep
>good memories
bad memories too.
>gpl
nerd

eog

>Can't get Cataclysm DDA installed

Attached: 1518669825145.png (808x805, 224K)

why is the window topbar fucked up when I switch to another window and go back?

Attached: 2018-10-21-193527_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 844K)

I think I keep fucking something up when I try to run Debain in a VM. After changing the systems.list to Testing, I'll upgrade my packages and reboot, but when I do that, Debian won't boot, and I'm stuck on a black screen with a cursor. Is this a good fix for that? askubuntu.com/questions/962346/booting-to-linux-leads-to-empty-screen-and-blinking-underscore/962354

Anyone know how to get the mouse settings working on XFCE?

Attached: king2.jpg (2976x3968, 2.12M)

How do i get gud with gentoo? Do i just fuck around untill i get it? I feel like i'm doing that right now but i'm not complaining, just wondering

I want to buy a laptop for personal use with gnu/linux, some text editing, and basic browsing. No games or something heavy on resources, somothing like rms way but not so extreme. I need compatibility and stability reducing the most from the botnet.
I like thinkpads but i dont get too much the differences between models, ill go to the respective thread later.
I want devuan in that computer with a libre kernel or something like that. I dont want any buntu or rolling.

What are you trying to say?

It would help if you also posted a pic of the window topbar before it fucked up

>Oh fuck, I forgot to change my futanari wallpaper before leaving the house this morning, quick pop open a terminal to cover it
>Shit, terminal is set to transparent, too late to hide it now, better just play it off like it's no big deal

Search the web, minifree comes to mind.

animate or sxiv -a

mpv is the best image viewer, music player and it plays videos also.

feh

github.com/derf/feh/issues/308
>feh is an image viewer and not a movie / gif player
i hate minimalism

i have an intel 4670 with builtin gpu, if i dont game do i need a pcie gpu???

Attached: 1513794406440.jpg (1280x718, 212K)

If you need video drivers that aren't shit for whatever reason, you need a non-Intel GPU. Basically run it till you have problems with it.

what distro has the best KDE experience?
I wanted to try KDE neon but Ive been reading bad thing about it

manjaro KDE version
using it too. is great

youtu.be/HHYXBdOgUrI?t=216
I wiped the default config and started from scratch. this is a guy trying it out for the first time and he's supposedly using the default configs

Ok either your not understanding me or I'm not understanding you, but I'm going to try to xplain what I meant.

You said:
"why is the window topbar fucked up when I switch to another window and go back?"

What I am asking you is what did the window topbar look like before you switched to another window and went back?

Can you really not replicate the error? What you're saying is that it only happened one time and it has been like that ever since?

I first posted a screenshot of a window with a weird topbar, in the link to the youtube video I just posted the guy is using the browser and you can see how the topbar looks when it's properly focused. say for example you have a terminal in workspace 1 and a browser in workspace 2, if you switch to workspace 2, focus the browser, then switch back to workspace 1 you can notice the topbar of the terminal renderrd like in my screenshot

Do you really expect me to watch a 40 minute video to get to a point where the guy switches from a terminal to a browser? At least give us the minutemark, neckbeard.

Also, stop using WM's from 1999.

you are an idiot yes?

Attached: 1536812558515.png (943x485, 282K)

At least my window manager works.
/kys

Don't ever ask for help again with that fucking attitude.

Begone.

my window manager perfectly works. you can even see my user named test implying I was testing in a tty2 but anyway you are so dumb you can't even check the link I posts or just hover on them to notice the t flag.
>/kys
I didn't know I was talking with a faggot from leddit I'm sorry I'll wait for a normal person. now fuck off back to your mother's womb

>Ive been reading bad thing about it
What exactly? I would say Neon is the best KDE experience with either Arch or Kubuntu following straight after that or maybe Debian Testing/Sid

>my window manager perfectly works (sic)
Then why are you here?

Whats the appeal of Manjaro? why has it suddenly gotten popular and everyone is now shilling and using it? Is Manjaro supposed to be the Ubuntu of Arch? Why would someone want to use Manjaro over Arch exactly?

Easy to install. Just werks. Etc.

Just accept that the most popular distros are always going to be the easy ones. It should not be surprising.

So from what i understand unless you cant handle Arch theres no reason to use Manjaro over Arch?

Why do you care what another person uses anyways?

Can anyone tell me if an EVGA X299 FTW K will give me any issues installing Linux? Most likely Ubuntu but open to any distro that will work

Manjaro is way easier to use than Arch. Arch can be made as easy as Manjaro by installing the right applications though.

nah

Thank you

> distrowatch hits is a measure of popularity
Not really.

Sigh... so, why isn't my screen brightness working?

why.

Attached: 1538731385848.png (630x828, 653K)

Focus can be passed to the sidebar modules if using specific focus policies. There's also no built-in behavior to shift focus when switching desktop pages.

HAHAHA I use alpine just linux
where is your gahnoo/god now?
freetard communists literaly BTFO
guess what, I'm going to install every nonfree software around
how does it feel? HAHAHAHA

Attached: 1540085324941.png (600x600, 55K)

>I use alpine just linux
That sentence made no sense

>love
>free
Oh silly boy.

Free as in freedom, silly boy.

give me good reasons why I shouldn't put %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL in the sudoers file

sxiv

What do you mean with get it?

Attached: image_2018-10-21_22-10.jpg (720x649, 37K)

Security.

how does it compromise security? assume I am the only account in wheel and also the only person that ever touches my pc

>RIP: 0010:native_smp_send_reschedule
what did they mean by this

Attached: 4.19.0-rc8-SunnySNSD-00119-g270b77a0f30e-IMG_20181021_165618-scaled.jpg (3200x2115, 2.05M)

Good memories are only free if your time is worthless to be honest.
So you mean to tell me that your girlfriend is Open Source?
How progressive of you, user.

Attached: 03900288.png (765x586, 240K)

Because it doesn't have write permissions for normal users. Root needs to do it, which is a design decision that I think is pretty stupid.

It's a free privilege escalation for anything malicious that you accidentally let run as your user. If you're not worried about that particular case then passwordless sudo is fine.

If you want to assume that no software on your machine will ever maliciously attempt to elevate its permissions, and that no malicious user will ever get physical access to your machine
then go for it.

the only things I run are code that I wrote and things from the debian repo desu
I think it should be fine, I don't forsee myself running scripts from randos

First of all, sudo is for oval-teen, spooge drinking, nigger fuckers, ok. I have to use for it. It's a protection mode; it's sudo faggotry. I want fucking root. I don't want fucking sudo. Don't give me fucking sudo. Fuck sudo, man, I want root. Ever since I was a system programmer at E Corp. - fuck yeah man, i'm a hacker man - I fucking ran as root. Sudo is ghetto. Fuck sudo, that's for ghetto peasants. Peasants use sudo, man. Sudo is for peasants.

Attached: 1540154636109.jpg (524x705, 44K)

I just installed popcorntime on my arch and now qutebrowser seems to think popcorntime is the default application in wich to open magnet links in.

How do I change it back to transmission-gtk?

Is it in the mimeapps.list? And what do I write?

what.

xdg-open

sudo su

the absolute brain damage
that's even worse than cat | grep

Attached: 1539730729779.gif (368x312, 1.64M)

>xdg-open
I'm afraid you're going to have to spoon feed me

install gentoo

Why did you join the botnet?

I just wanted to test out popcorntime.

sudo su -

is the patrician elevation

Is this safe to use or will they spy?

installing gentoo atm. feels g00d. :))

Even worse. Read what you typed. "superuser do suoeruser". Real men use sudo -i.

Real men are fucking root.

Attached: mr-robot-shutdown-4_1.jpg (516x661, 53K)

Who cares?
Are you scared of them?

Its proper elevation to a proper shell

Proprietary software is scary. You never know what it does.

Friendly reminder real men use Ratpoison to do real work youtube.com/watch?v=45j3B8ZWG8c

assisted-driving cars already have algorithms that track your emotional states and attention.
and self-driving cars are going to have at least 12 cameras and insane processing power.

we're going to have proprietary software and cameras monitoring us wherever we go, reading our lips and noticing everything we look at and how we feel about it.

can someone help me out with this?

Attached: ESS.gif (720x720, 59K)

why even live

>Ratpoison
>the poor mans i3
No thanks.

>i3
>manchild's ricing wm
>implying is richer
Not productive and also shit

it's cause you're switching branches, just download the testing iso

thanks, but why would they recommend switching from within stable instead of just getting the different iso? especially if they knew this issue comes up?

That graphic has always bothered me (the original one anyway). You can't really say love is free when some people have to spend years working on themselves in order to get it. Not everyone gets romantic partners effortlessly. Even chads have to work very hard on that. I'm guessing that graphic was made by a woman.

I thought they recommended against it.