Soldering is technology

Plz Jow Forums, how do i solder with hot-air? I have watched tons of videos on youtube for last two years, got myself a hotair station about year ago, and still everything im trying to solder is dead. Is there any ultimate solution on how to solder with hotair station or is my autism level too high? Hope you have nice day

Attached: hotair.jpg (1500x1125, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QNM8rAvT80w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you're repairing PCBs, then you need to make sure what you are reflowing is actually reflowable. Things like corrosion might prevent you from correctly reflowing a board if it gets under a part. Ripped pads also cause problems.

Buying the most expensive shit wont make you any better.

ask You're on the Jow Forumsraphics cards and Jow Forumsaming mouse board that revolves around discussing which laptop runs mpv for pr0n better

Make sure you hold the tools correctly.

Attached: soldering.jpg (1023x365, 72K)

I always start laughing at his ridiculously small head.

I have never worked on something with rust and/or ripped pads. What do you mean by "thing that are reflowable"?

got my station for 60 usd or something, cool friend of my uncle said it will be okay to learn on

of course

Turn the hot air on and wait for it to heat up. Use it on whatever you need to solder and wait for the solder to melt. (Add some flux if needed). Put the component on the solder pads and let it cool and it should just mend itself on there.

Get a scalpel tip and learn to drag solder for SMD. Make sure you use proper flux and cleaners.

Hot air is for removing chips, not soldering them.

Also note that the station you posted has a shit soldering iron with limited power/low resistance (I have one of those). That is, it can't keep its temperature up when you push it against anything. Because of that you'll have to use higher temperatures to be able to solder properly, and that will damage your boards more easily. A decent soldering station can properly apply solder at lower temperatures, like 250C or so. The one you posted needs to go up to 350C to do the same job.

Beyond that, what are you trying to solder? DIP chips? SMD? BGA reflowing? Just trying to solder a 28AWG wire to a pin header on a Raspberry Pi?

Attached: soldering SMD like a pro.gif (480x360, 2.38M)

>Turn the hot air on and wait for it to heat up.

Unless you use a preheater, it is beneficial to use the hot air while it heats up. It makes the heat increase more gradual, lessening the chance of thermal shock damaging your parts.

I just mean issues that come up that might prevent a proper reflowing. If you aren't restoring PCB's, what exactly are you doing?

Some DIY projects, mainly on nRF52xxx. Sometimes im trying to fix some things like YLOD'ed PS3, and of course learning like reading eMMC with SD card reader

If you are designing your own PCBs and reflowing them for the first time, I suggest extending the pad a few mm so that you can apply tack flux and do what does on the extended pads. It usually helps prevent shorting under chips without legs.
If you are soldering chink boards, where sometimes they decide to not include pads and also shrink it from the typical mask layout, then it's mostly experience. Try using less solder paste the next time you do it.
As for the YLOD'ed PS3, I'm not really sure what you are doing wrong, but, assuming it hasn't gotten worse, you might just not be heating the solder up enough.

Thing with the PS3 was that after reflow, when i was mounting the board in case, i heard little cracks. What i think, the flux does not come all the way under chip and solder does not connect with pad. Can i be correct, or is it something else that could be?

scored one of these from work is it a decent station to start messing around with?

Attached: download.jpg (800x600, 171K)

Bought this sweet piece of german engineering on the regional 'ebay' for 115 euro's. Dude used it like 5 times before selling it to me. best deal ever.

forgt pic. It's the first solder station I bought for myself. Did a lot of research, fell down the rabbit hole of chink shit, would've bought the hakuo if I wouldn't have noticed the second hand advertisement.

Attached: thumbnail_20181021_211121.jpg (1280x1280, 337K)

>Schwamm naB halten

Like I said, it's really hard to tell without closeups of the board and chips on it, but it generally ranges from something like the board itself cracking due to thermal stress to something less serious like the pad cracking as you mentioned.
Ultimately, reflowing again is your only option.

Yeah, okay, nonetheless thanks for help

how difficult is it to do solder paste by hand w/ a syringe? thinking about do this instead of soldering my next project...

youtube.com/watch?v=QNM8rAvT80w

Who /TS-100/ here?

Attached: TS-100.jpg (1920x1440, 1003K)