Hi Jow Forums, I need to replace my laptop and desktop's thermal paste...

Hi Jow Forums, I need to replace my laptop and desktop's thermal paste. Liquid metal seems too risky (pic related) and thermal pads (graphite ones) performe worse than thermal paste, so I figured I'd use paste. The problem is that it seems that laptops have shitty heat sinks that are not perfectly flat, so they don't make perfect contact with heat spreaders on processors. People on forums suggest using thick thermal paste, namely Innovation Cooling Diamond 24 (but it costs too much for the performance it has), Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano, Noctua NT-H1 (although some say this last one won't last very long because of some effect of which I don't remember the name). According to this test tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-10.html
TG Kryonaut is the best paste, but I'm worried it will dry out on my laptop. What paste do you recommend for a laptop?

Attached: Screenshot_YouTube_20181021-210542.png (1024x1024, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hdTsra-uLBI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Forgot to mention that I'd like it to last at least 3 years before having to replace it. Also what is the best method for applying it on a laptop, which basically has delidded processors?

I just use MX2. Doesn't really matter for those 1-2 degrees, your laptop will always run hot anyway
By the way, liquid metal slowly kills your chip and eats away the cooler, never use it unless you are an autist who buys new shit every time at release

How long does that last?

Depends on how hot shit gets. If you're often running shit at say 80C it won't last more than a year, but if you're doing that you will likely have to clean the heatsink anyway at that point
Forgot to mention: all conductive pastes are also a pretty bad idea, especially in laptops

What is that photo?

Spaghetti on the south bridge

Liquid metal on a laptop's motherboard

dude. the difference between rando generic thermal paste and ULTRA XTREME HIGH PERFORMANCE LIQUID METAL T-1000 APPROVED PROTOTYPE THERMAL PASTE is like 2c in most cases unless you get an especially shitty brand. get some arctic silver or whatever and stop worrying about it.

This, it doesn't really matter. I recommend Arctic Silver 5, it's cheap and does the trick.

how retarded are you on a scale of einstein to cockroach?

youtu.be/hdTsra-uLBI

20°C degrees difference between stock paste and liquid metal

That image could've easily been avoided by a sheet of paper with a hole in it.

Attached: 3454.png (763x720, 552K)

I don't think it's retarded to ask which paste will take the most to dry out on a laptop

first off, go check ifixit on how to tear down your shit.
secondly, literally any fucking ceramic paste will work.
thirdly, you dont even have to fucking spread it.
fourthly, try fucking googling you lazy nigger.
now fuck off and KYS for making a new thread for this retarded shit instead of posting in an existing thread.

On my ThinkPad X230, W530, and W500 I use Arctic Silver 5. They all stay nice and cool and never throttle. I replace the paste once every 2 years. It isn't dry but it gets a little thicker.

Just use a dab of toothpaste instead. Thermal pasted is abnormally expensive and really not even that necessary. I have a laptop on which I upgraded the cpu. I didn't apply any thermal paste and it never overheats and runs at a cool 45 degrees celsius. When using intensive programs such as when I'm encoding or rendering shit, it does very well.

0/10

stock factory laptop thermal paste is toothpaste, more news at 11

yo does thermal paste have a shelf life at room temperature? asking cause i found a tube of AS5 that i think is the same one i used on my Athlon 64 like 3 computers ago. it still LOOKS okay i guess.

>Hi Jow Forums, I need to replace my laptop and desktop's thermal paste.
Why do you think you need to replace the thermal paste in a laptop?
Have you the brain worms?

Does silver have a shelf life?

i don't know what all else is in it except silver tho. tastes a little salty. silicone grease maybe?

no, I recently reapplied using a 5 year old tube and temps are fine.

I want to get lower temperatures, I've heard that Acer uses shit thermal paste on their low and medium end laptops, and I've had it for 4 years now so the stock thermal paste has probably dried up.

>I've had it for 4 years now so the stock thermal paste has probably dried up.
...oh, this again.
manufacturers don't use liquid paste. They use a phase-change pad that is solid at room temp and melts into a gel at operating temperature and settles into place the first time the machine is used.
This is why idiots on this board think that thermal paste 'dries up'. It didn't dry up. It's supposed to be solid and crumbly when it's cold.

you can buy the thermal change stuff on ebay. it's sold in thin, grey ribbons. feels like soft plastic.