/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, tricks and configs that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant)

Attached: windows thread.jpg (1920x1200, 617K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/fuhsjr00/bug.n
github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
ninite.com/.net4.7.2-7zip-evernote-everything-firefox-foobar-irfanview-java8-paint.net-pidgin-python-qbittorrent-sharex-skype-sumatrapdf-teamviewer13-thunderbird-vlc-vscode/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Tell us about tools, utilities, tricks and configs that make your life with Windows (more) bearable

For me its Launchy/Everything/fman. Finding desired files or directories made smooth and fast. Trying fman now, looks really promising.

Big fan of explorer.exe desu

Based Windows 7 user

Windows 7 is so fucking comfy, once you really grow into it and realize the kind of stuff you can customize to your liking the kind of workflow/productivity you can pull off with it is amazing

I will never switch to poojetBotnet10

you will have to one day

xD

No i don't

I like windows as it is normie friendly and since there is no real alternative
T. Proud windows 10 pro user with a patato laptop

mspaint is my favorite utility

The fuck is this shit

i also thought so, i was going to install windows 7 on my new laptop that came with preinstalled windows 10, but i tried it for a few days and eventually i grow to like it
my bluetooth headphones worked without a problem (couldn't get them right in 7)
Windows Subsystem for Linux is a godsend
feels more snappy and fast
compatible with virtually every hardware and software in existence

join the dark side user, its maximum comfy

>he doesn't use paint.net

Attached: suuuuuabo.gif (180x180, 2.08M)

Windows 10 has finally brought in a Dark theme for explorer, but its all shades of grey instead of black, why cant I have my Windows black? no I dont want to use high contrast mode, it looks retarded.

I used to think that way but after using 10 LTSB for a while i realized it's pretty much 7 with another UI.

I constantly switch my audio setting between stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 depending on what I'm listening to or watching, why doesnt Windows remember any of the damn settings? bitrate, frequency are all reset to defaults every time you switch.

>Tell us about tools, utilities
VSCode (multiplatform)
fman (multiplatform)
ShareX (no known equivalent)
AutoHotKey (no known equivalent)

XMediaRecode is breddy gud.
>tiny memory footprint
>converts every format to every format
>cut, crop, flip, etc

Attached: 1519615018343.jpg (1000x1000, 81K)

EarTrumpet is great.

>tfw you forget the dos prompt command to list the files of a directory
why is windows so hard, lads

Attached: 98747.png (248x265, 140K)

How is it even possible to forget dir?

Attached: 1521453407331.jpg (680x680, 65K)

in cmd, powershell and bash the command is ls

W10 Enterprise 2016 LTBS master race for the win.

Keep working perfectly

in what ways is it better than default sound mixer?

this
i'm waiting for the updated LTSC iso though, then i'll do a clean install

Never say it was better.
I like it because it's one click only rather than click and click on mixer to open it.
Also the interface is way better.

...but with forced updates and telemetry

i agree about the extra botnet over 7 but it's still less botnet than the normal version, also you can obliterate forced updates in LTSB

>i'm waiting for the updated LTSC iso though

It's already out though, and several KMS can activate it

where
i can only find the old ISOs on MDL

whats better in LTSB/LTSC besides disabling updates?

no bloat like cortana, the store and ""modern"" ""apps"" and no ""feature"" updates, only security updates
also 10 years of support

DIR DIR DIR DIR DIR DIR DIR DIR DIR DIR DIR

The fuck do you need coorporate poojeet call center """support""" for jesus

Just keep using win7 for as long as it werks, which will likely be decades to come until it truly becomes incompatible with standard hardware

I spit on this thread, hear me? I spit on it

Why the fuck is disabling updates seen as a good thing? I guess people value privacy over security which seems quite backwards to me.
There's a few modern apps that work great, they update far easier than desktop versions, and for some like FortiClient the Windows 10 version is better because it just integrates into the OS' VPN settings. Can't do that with the standard .exe. I feel like people just looked at what was available a few years ago and based their opinions on that which is a very non-techy way to go about things but this board has always been weirdly luddite-like regarding shit like this.

Updated iso is not out yet

>i'm waiting for the updated iso
>it's already out
>where
>it's not out
lel

Honestly, I miss the glory days of 7.

Attached: bb3b8bdd101a19d72c8a67e16a73c3881df81bdfr1-380-349v2_00.jpg (380x349, 25K)

Why would you even need launchy and fman when everything does everything?

Im literaly forced to switch to Win 10 because my work software requires it

what the easiest way to pirate Win 10?

Need some help. 3 weeks ago after an update my pc (windows 10) couldn't connect to the internet. when trouble shooting I kept getting "windows could not detect this network's proxy settings" I reset winsock, ip settings. spent the last 2 days doing any trouble shooting. last night I threw in the towel and did a system reset. Booted it up and still got the proxy error. wat do user?

thats then either hardware or your network.

Windows 7

Attached: Untitled.png (1631x931, 181K)

my ps3, mac book, and imac all connect both wirelessly and wired. should I just take out the network card and maybe clean or something?

I don't use them all at one time. I first found Launchy, then Everything and now fman is becoming my daily driver

I mean, how about plug the jack into the motherboard and test that out, or check even if it could be the cable?

how is stockholm syndrome for you guys?

why do you need 128 ram

>yuliya
Cute desu

tried 3 different cables, worked with all other machines

Not him but my best guess is video rendering.

Or E-peen..

hmm, then I guess clean the card, might be fucked, and mobo ethernet doesn't work either?

great, everything just werks

>fman
>buy now
Yep that’s gonna be a yikes from me

I popped open the case and dusted it, checked all connections, then booted up again. I keep getting brief connections where it brings me to the router set up webpage, but then quickly disconnects

It must be a bad card then, time to rma is my best guess.

Windows 10 with classic shell is literally the best OS that exists

What do boys?

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 1.08M)

Any way to change icons like Firefox to be flat design? I know you can change individual icons that show up in the explorer but not on the task bar for instance or the running program itself.

Anyone else here using bug.n?

github.com/fuhsjr00/bug.n

Microsoft Toolkit from MDL forums.

I'm using it unregistered and its fine

tiling WMs are memes

No.

I would jump to windowd 10 if they fix the broken classic UI

Yes.

github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

activate windows

Dism++ (mostly for clearing windows caches, slight plaecbo) and CompactGUI (autism file/exe compression, good for games or i.e. LibreOffice 500MB down to 200MB)

fu-... i mean, heck windows... please cosider switching to linux, please.

Attached: 6.jpg (768x526, 63K)

no

Attached: 1512217078969.jpg (1000x1000, 55K)

>leave consoles for their wars
>pc is the same, if not more because of cpus/gpus/os/usb cock sleeves/etc
At least it's mostly one ecosystem

bitch

rude
but agreed

ninite.com/.net4.7.2-7zip-evernote-everything-firefox-foobar-irfanview-java8-paint.net-pidgin-python-qbittorrent-sharex-skype-sumatrapdf-teamviewer13-thunderbird-vlc-vscode/

>Tell us about tools, utilities, tricks and configs that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant)
clink is a must if you use the default command prompt. python for scripting, free pascal for gui shit. also win 10 ltsc best windows.

Attached: nah man.png (682x379, 15K)

works on my machine

Attached: cmd_2018-10-22_11-15-40.png (979x512, 19K)

based and redpilled

Launchy is better than everything for launching applications quickly. It's a proper dmenu equivalent whereas everything is just great for searching.

launchy is obsolete you can do the same with start menu from at least windows 7

Used it for around a year but it just doesnt implement itself into windows smoothly enough. After using i3 and bspwm some I can't really stand any tiling solution on Windows just due to how clunky it all ends up working.

Launchy is significantly better and faster than using start menu and allows for plugins. It's not even slightly comparable.

StartMenu searching is fast enough on my machine
What plugins do you use?

I like ribbon menus better, also 8.1 master race.

Attached: Excel 2016 _ Ribbons,Tabs and Quick Access Toolbar.png (522x290, 12K)

>I will never switch to poojetBotnet10
you will
maybe not today, or not tomorrow, but eventually you will

i came here to spit on the op

how rude

Any other lesser-known tools I should know about? Need something to reduce any bloat too, I don't want unnecessary disk usage.

Attached: macron dab.jpg (634x507, 50K)

ccleaner is obvious one
ShellMenuView and ShellExView for cleaning/customizing context menus (they work as standalone exes, no need to install)

back in the day i used Windows Manager from Yamicsoft, which has the features of all of the above and more, but its proprietary and paid (tho cracked versions surely exist out there)

why would anyone use clink with cmd when PowerShell exists?

Inability to read OP. Poor spelling and grammar. Obligatory freetard demand.

Attached: 1513620298901.gif (474x379, 471K)

it makes my life easier since i use linux command line a lot though i do admit that it's cool that ms is starting to take oss a bit more seriously.

Linux is a kernel

most PowerShell commands have aliases for linux commands

>ccleaner
If you want to just delete stuff, bleachbit is a lot better; the .ini file in its settings (which it downloads after a restart) finds stuff that the defaults don't. I use it over ccleaner because it's lighter.

Do you have a link? There's a bunch of stuff in there and I can't seem to find the right one.

Anyone using chocolatey or other package manager for windows?

Any top-tier win10 debloat guides that wont fuck me over with shitty programs?