Sony Phones

What went wrong?

Why did they lose out in the end?

Attached: xperia.jpg (1280x720, 65K)

They were never popular in the mobile market when it came to smartphones.
Sony's profits outside gaming was tanking
At that point you you have to cater to the majority

That looks exactly like what I wanted the newer Xperia phones to look like. XZ body and larger screen.

I was gonna get a sony phone but they just looked so outdated and they were really big so I passed.

They're not samsung or apple who can charge a fuck ton of money for their phones. Never seen carrier deals for sony in the US. Most people who get unlocked either go for the expensive brands or niche brands.

I feel like blackberry and sony are only making phones for their people nowadays. Good shit, never had problems, but also never saw anyone else IRL with a sony phone after the walkman phones stopped being made.

i'd get a sony but fuck android

They're the only ones who still make a flagship phone with a screen no greater than 5", I know what I'm getting next.

Sony should make more compact phones.
They were the only game in town and they aren't putting out another this year. They should be focusing on this.

That thing is really the only phone I've actually wanted to buy in years, the current screen size dickwaving is just complete lunacy to me. I just want a phone that does the communicating, casual browsing and map lookup things with no bullshit, I don't want a fucking 32" flatscreen TV with a baseband strapped to it just so I can watch videos from a larger screen and unironically add "does the goddamn abomination of a quote unquote phone fit in the pocket" to my clothes shopping checklist. It's just fucking aggravating.

>be sony
>make a ton of money off of gaming
>make a new handheld game device (vita)
>get paranoid about mobile phone gaming and make adverts explaining how vita is better for games
>also make phones
>fail to even attempt to make a phone that has physical controls for games
>fail completely at both phones and handheld gaming

That's actually kind of cool although it looks like a samsung galaxy clone

>>fail to even attempt to make a phone that has physical controls for games
but they did that one time

the compacts were godly
im still happy they havent fucked around with the notch but im worried since the back mounted finger print sensor exists which is shit

I still use a Z3C tho

they failed to have 2 analogue sticks on that thing.

Sony can't get its shit together in general.

Didn't they start producing their own oled panels

The Japanese have no idea how to make a smartphone. In today's world, technology and communication is too fast for them. By the time they finish their 20 in-person meetings, everything they've talked about is obsolete.

I had an xperia z2 I tell you what it never skipped a beat, excellent phone.

luckily for them smartphones have been moving in the wrong direction for about 6 years

How would Jow Forums fix Sony?

XZ1c but with removable battery

I want this. XZ1C is the last good sub 5 inch phone. Thinking of buying another one and keeping it boxed in case my current one dies.

Yet they're following the dumbass 18:9 aspect ratio trend

>Implying Jow Forums can fix any corporation without ruining it with its ideals

It'll be easier to build a time machine to go back to early 2000s to make sure Sony doesn't lose its engineers to Samsung and other companies

Don't forget removing the headphone jack from XZ2 onwards, at least it still hasn't fall for the notch meme

If My XZ1c dies I think I might cry if I can't get my hands on another

For a major player in electronics, their phone line is absolutely shit. I cant fathom how uninspiring and uncreative their phones are; same goddamn shape the last several years, huge ass bezels this day and age, mediocre features, mediocre screen. They went from a leader to just another follower.

Im in the market for a mid-range and every time my memory lapsed and I look at Sony there are just zero advantages over anyone else.

as opposed to what? Java?

>XZ1C is the last good sub 5 inch phone.
Not really, it needs official LineageOS so i can be free of the useless googleshit.
Fuck i want to upgrade my Z5c but everything else is shit.

Don't see how XA2 got an official release, but XZ1 is still in unofficial beta

Xperia z2 was an excellent phone and the best one I've ever owned. Unfortunately I ignored the warning about water resistance and took it swimming in the ocean multiple times. I went multiple meters deep and never cleaned it with fresh water, eventually the 3.5mm jack got fucked due to corrosion and I never bothered to replace it.
My nephew also put one of those micro sim to mini sim plastic adapters in it without the actual sim which fucked up the connector so I just stopped using it and got an s9+. It's just sitting somewhere in my drawer now, but it still works and doesn't stutter or lag or anything.

Like every Japanese company they made something good back then but fall right behind when competition showed up. There is nothing in the Sony name anymore when it comes to phones or anything really.
Right now they just make painfully normal phones that just barely manage to follow market trends.

Its like $850 for the decent model, i can get way better specs for the price. The only thing sony had going for it was ip68 and a fairly minimal look. I liked my xperia z but it didnt age well.

I considered the Xperia for its size (very small, like op's dick) but the DAS was too high.

THEY MAKE THE GODDAMN BEST SENSORS WHY ARE THEIR PICTURES STILL SO SHIT.

THEY SHOULD HAVE THE BEST CAMERA EVERY YEAR WTF

Attached: tenor.gif (498x387, 477K)

They dont have the best camera anymore?

their cameras have been shit for a while now.

because their software sucks. im sure if you put a 3rd party camera app on it that lets you do raw it would look better.

make a vita 2 and stick a snapdildo 855.
this kills the switch.

What models are those?

I love my XZ1

Garbage camera.

I have an XZ and I'm pretty happy with it. Except for jewgle of course.

Damn, i thoght they wven had like 1000hz vidro processing or something

Went downhill after the Z3 Compact tbqh senpai

z5 compact is fine too

They're still good. The only bad choice was removing the headphone jack

Became too thicc and looked worse imo.

>thicc
Found the soiboi

The hilarious part is that Sony sells the same camera sensors to other companies and produce better results.

Attached: 1539980006859.webm (400x400, 782K)

they went above 4 inches on the compact line, what's the fucking point

I like that design. is the phone bad feature wise?

>son wants sony phone
>buy him xperia
>overheats every ten minutes
>screen malfunctions
Sony won’t fix it because I bought it while abroad
FU xperia

Sony fell for the no headphone jack meme.

>attempt to make a phone that has physical controls for games
I wouldn't buy that shit. More space wasted on niche shit.
My XZ has the option to use my ps4 controller, that's good enough for me.
Most importantly though, games generally won't support it anyway if only one phone has those controls. Wa

They already put out a Compact phone this year.

Worst meme ever

Z3 was the best phone I've had but their quality control is absolutely trash.

This is the only reason my current phone isn't Sony. I want them to make a device that has waterproofing, wireless charging and a headphone jack. When they introduced one they took out the other one. I had to go Samsung because of this.

Not really though
How do you get used to touchwizz? I can't put myself to buy one because of their fucking ridiculous skin.

Got one too, it's nice but i had to switch to a 20GB subscription for my phone because i couldn't connect to wifi fucking ever.

Phone was so cheap and cash for the price tag it had for a single morning in a Aldi store so i'm keeping it but still.

I want to connect to my Camera through wifi too.

>make sharp edged phones
>they tear a hole in your pockets within months

oh geez i wonder why

fuck sony. I had to pay a tailor to fix all my pockets and then buy a stupid round-edged phone case

I agree on the aesthetics but on the technical stuff I don't, unique but functional designs are their signature trademark and their phones are a black sheep because they buck that trend hard with minimal generation differences, to be fair the Z1/Z2/M1/M2 were cool looking phones.

On the technical side the best high framerate recorders on the budget end of the market are all sony phones, they featured super HFR recording before any other maker but didn't get the fanfare that apple and samsung enjoyed when they came out with their similar but worse implementations 12-15 months later, and as for updates sony beats samsung there too but you wouldn't know it from the tech press.

Not true. Just unacknowledged.
I recently took a better pic in tough lighting with an Xperia Z5, than the same pic taken with a Pixel 2XL.

Sony's colours and general clarity is gorgeous.

I hate the bloatware sony forces into their phones, though that is my biggest issue with other brands as well. I can basically only buy oneplus or pixel phones. Other than that Sony phones are pretty good

t. Ex z5 compact user

Learn to use ADB, it takes literally 5 mins to disable all the bloat

Their phones are expensive and out specc'd by their competitors, even more so by the chinks.

Design wise I love me some bulky rectangular piece of electronic equipment, but fuck me if I'm paying out the ass for a device no better than a Xiaomi.

OH geez i wonder why

this is the camera duing "low light" conditions. Sony boasts about "muh 20 megapixels" but it doesn't fucking matter when their own sensor is absolute garbage. Even my Samsung Galaxy S2 took better images than this monstrosity

absolute garbage. I hope Sony goes bankrupt in 3 years

pix related: "superior auto mode" (default camera shoot mode), 100% crop

Attached: 2018-10-22 14_01_27.jpg (1414x1515, 403K)

so next time you see grainy pictures that look like they were taken back in 2004 with a flip phone camera, it's probably taken with a Sony android phone

The thing I don't understand is why not just have a turn off all filters switch for all phones, RAW sensor output? I thought Android was Linux but you need to use a stock ROM get rid of this cancer.

>Jow Forums still thinks Sony only make profits on gaming
>Everyone uses IMX sensors.
>Despite releasing shitty movies majority of made profit.
>Make a shit ton of royalty money from vevo and other music+video streaming services
>SPT and SM are earning a shit ton money in pajeet and weeb country
>Their Insurance branch in no longer footing their restructuring bill
>Their credit rating is now back to positive
>Forced Nikon and Canon to release half baked full frame mirrorless because Sony is kicking their asses

What year is this, 2009?

Attached: 38493843.jpg (1105x936, 188K)

make actual premium stuff again that are actually premium quality not just premium price

it's literally the best, most feature packed and stable rom for android out there

>but muh bloat

have fun using 3rd party chink and poojeet apps to perform basic functions then.

What?

My XC is perfect.

Sony phones were excellent but now... nope

The XA is terrible.
I bought one last year and it lasted exactly a month before the screen became unresponsive and covered with colored line strips. It was brand fuckin new too. Never dropped it once, never got water on it.

Shit build quality

> I want them to make a device that has waterproofing, wireless charging and a headphone jack.
The XZ Premium has these things. They took the headphone jack out with the XZ2 series.

Xperia X with Sailfish OS