What the FUCK port is this? What even is LTO? How do I connect this LTO deck to my pc?

What the FUCK port is this? What even is LTO? How do I connect this LTO deck to my pc?

Attached: 2018-10-21 21_58_16-HP Ultrium LTO 4 Tape Drive PD098-20701 Oracle P_N 7020567 _ eBay.png (1235x1008, 1.3M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B017O208JY/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linus Tech Onomatopoeia

I think it's a fiber connector?
amazon.com/dp/B017O208JY/
Jesus FUCK this controller is expensive

fibrechannel is more expensive than regular ethernet fibre.

LTO is a tape backup system. It's very reliable, but very expensive.

nah I've found used LTO4 decks for sometimes as low as $60 untested. Businesses are starting to upgrade their LTO systems and generally businesses don't buy secondhand, so the old stuff is auctioning for consumer prices, and given consumers don't really know or care for LTO considering how expensive a setup is new. it's just that this PARTICULAR one is $40. Shame it uses a fibre connector that needs an expensive controller though.

controllers are just as cheap for the same reason

That's cheap, for FibreChannel.

so if i got a tape drive like this, would this be able to replace my HDD?

No. Tape is for archiving. It's sequentially written too.

Only if your HDDs were a cold storage option, tapes are used solely for storage.

Do you remember how much difference switching from HDD to SSD made? The difference in seek time was 5ms or 0.1ms. Now imagine having to rewind a couple of kilometers of tape before accessing a file. Your computer might boot in a day or two.

They really aren't fit as a random access storage, they are meant to be written and read in one long stream

>Do you remember how much difference switching from HDD to SSD made?
actually no not really, i still mostly use HDDs only, i had an SSD once but it wasnt that much faster but also had a fuck ton less space, so i returned it and went back to my HDD.

Can't you buy some old Unix server that already includes the port? Would that be cheaper than a controller?

The bad thing is, those connectors in the red circle are Fibre Channel.
The good thing is they are actually SFP+ modules that can be taken out and you can put something cheaper in there instead.

So finding cheap LTO4 is worth gamble?
The tapes are cheap AF.

>So finding cheap LTO4 is worth gamble?
Not the same user, but no.

LTO4 has 800GB tapes, it'll turn you into a human tape changer reliant on a tape drive that is hard to replace.

Get LTO6-8, or if you're a small time home user just save your time and RAID up those HDD.

I've got already 12TB active and older 8TB for cold storage.
Grooming about alternatives from time to time.

>Now imagine having to rewind a couple of kilometers of tape before accessing a file
Tape record was like 110gb an inch. Might be even higher now.

What businesses are junking their tape drives and how do you find them?

For a second I forgot I was on Jow Forums, I couldn't have imagine anyone would be this stupid on Jow Forums.

I have a local sales site that businesses use to dump their old gear, sometimes the shit is only a few years old but when nobody bids, almost free.

No, tapes are for long term storage, if you need to access the data even once a year, tape is not the answer.

Tape is meant for keeping your records from 5 years ago in storage JUST IN CASE you get a court order for some financial documents from a decade + ago.

It's meant for long term storage that will almost never need to be accessed, because accessing tape data is a pain in the ass.