What do you use your PCI Express x1 slot for Jow Forums?

What do you use your PCI Express x1 slot for Jow Forums?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 1.15.31 AM.png (1212x612, 1.6M)

Nothing

Wireless card if I need one. Currently unused since I moved my shit around and now have my modem / router / firewall / switch on my desk.

Wireless card

sound card

Nothing.

USB3 controller which I pass through to my Windows VM

second sound card so I can record stuff without mumble or music coming through.

nic

adapter for notebook wireless card

Absolutely nothing, and I have 3 of them.
Never getting full ATX again.

Nothing. Thought about using it for a better audiocard, but got a usb one instead.

nothing was thinking of installing USB 3.0 card

Sound card, and LSI SAS controller.

LPT adapter card for a HD44780 display

I only used it once when re-building my pc after cleaning it to just see it there was any difference in performances on games if I mounted the graphic card there. Nothing that I noticed, (tried Nier:Automata and The Division) not even the FPS were different and I feel I missed something.

How do you program that thing?
It would be rather neat to have a little display on the case notifying things

Holding dust

Install Gentoo

I don't have one. For 10 years I had empty PCI slot galore in my ATX case, now I have ITX since three, and I don't miss having expansion slots gathering dust...

I have a riser which allows me to use an old PCI slot there. I have a 90s SCSI card in the riser. I'm amazed it works at all.

Doesn't that limit your bandwidth for your GPU if you use it?

Got two of them, one with AIM SC808 and other with ASUS PCE-AC88

Extra USB 3.0 controller card for Rift sensors.

this

Attached: 71F6oSqPhML._SL1300_.jpg (1300x1300, 210K)

Soubd card

Nobody said that it should be used solely for GPUs

i actually only have x16 slots, i even have 5 of them. though i only really use 1 full x16 slot for my GPU and i use 2 x1 slots for my sound card and ethernet card.

I have as much as 17 USB devices plugged in sometimes, but I never needed to use internal expansions for that. These things are a gimmick.

Sound card.

Attached: 115b.jpg (800x622, 127K)

What if he has an older motherboard without any USB 3.0 ports?

>LSI
Avago or bust.

>has PCI-E
>has no USB 3.0
Pick one.

but PCIe was made in 2004 and USB3 was released in 2008 so technically it is possible to pick both of what you said.

I don't fucking care when the specifications were standardized on paper.

"Technically" the same chipsets that introduced PCI-E support also introduced USB 3.0 support. If you have a motherboard that has one without the other, then you have a shitty motherboard with an incomplete chipset implementation. Like when Z97 came out after Z87 and everyone fucking forgot about the +2 SATA ports and the additional USB 3 header was skipped entirely.

>Core 2
>USB 3.0
Pick one.

Core 2 still had AGP and PCI you mongrel.

It also had PCI-e you utter mongoloid.

>"Technically" the same chipsets that introduced PCI-E support also introduced USB 3.0 support
This is retarded, stop spouting your factually incorrect shit. C2D and C2Q did not have USB3 support, neither did the first gen Core i series (X58/P55) which are still fully viable CPUs today if you don't have high demands, although you could find mobos with 3rd party USB3 controllers. That still wasn't a guarantee, though. I'm pretty sure even Z68 did not have USB3 and any mobos which supported it did so with a 3rd party controller, which means it wasn't a guaranteed feature. Sandy Bridge is still viable today for a lot of use cases.

LCDSmartie with some custom plugins

please see the following motherboards:
GA-P31-DS3L
GA-K8NE
One is for C2D, another for Athlon64 on s754 from at least 2005.
I owned both of them, both have multiple PCI-E ports and no USB 3.
Since you clearly were not around even when C2D was a thing, let alone A64, let me remind you that you need to be 18yo or older to post here.

nothing at all

>internal sound card
but why

Ikr? Makes no sence to me either.

Wireless AC card
Has a much much stronger signal then a USB adapter could ever produce.

I wish there were fun things I can plug into all my spare PCIE slots.
Or maybe I should just move to ITX the next time.

My Phenom 2 PC has PCI-E but no USB3. There was a solid 5 year window of no overlap of the two user...

Less noise interference, more hookups for recording.
Its useful if you're doing some sort of sound recording but beyond that onboard is fine.

Nothing at the moment, but I'll probably throw a USB card on there at some point since I keep getting intermittent issues with multiple DACs at 32/192khz+ on the same USB controller. Apparently the USB controller doesn't have enough resources for both DACs to operate at the same time. I assume adding another USB controller and having the DACs be on separate controllers will fix the issue.

>Less noise interference
Generally the noise will be identical compared to on-board audio.

To reduce the noise, MOST people recommend going completely off-board with an external sound card running over USB or similar.

Asus Xonar Xense sound card

Sound card; well, formerly anyway. Now I just use the on-board since it hardly fucking matters to begin with.

Can't be much of a sas controller if it's only 1x.

I don't know of ANY SAS controllers that only use an x1.

Pic related

Attached: products_madi_fx_1b.jpg (3285x2218, 1.56M)

Nor do I. I have two. 9207-8i and 9201-16i which are both x8.

Any x1 card I've ever seen has been a POS cheap Startech thing for getting 4 extra SATA ports.

Absolutely nothing SAS/RAID or HBA especially from LSI/Avagi/Broadcom uses x1 in my experience.

Want to buy pci-e raser and combine my RX 580 with GTX 550 TI for hybrid physx

This, ASUS Xonar DX/XD 7.1

please don't use those sata power splitters, that's how you burn down your whole house

You have to be 18+ to post on this board

It's either 4x or 8x, can't remember which.

well this thread is about PCIe x1.

>not using extended atx

It's still smaller than 16x

I don't use the one shipped with it, I have a better one.

Vive WiGig card
USB expansion

more USB ports