Raspberry Pi

Should I buy one of these? They're cheap.
Will they help me learn linux or help me learn stuff t. CS student.
What does Jow Forums use them for?

Attached: item_XL_10522094_13680816.jpg (600x396, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.armbian.com/topic/1878-h3consumption-to-be-included-into-future-armbian-releases/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Should I buy one of these? They're cheap.
No.
>Will they help me learn linux or help me learn stuff?
No
>What does Jow Forums use them for?
We don't.

It's a good dust collector.

>CS student
Just use your computer, retard

The pi zero w is pretty cheap. And it's fun to fiddle around with the camera using python.

>using python
Get off Jow Forums

Why doesn't Raspberry Pi have ADC?
All microcontrollers have it.

>CS student
>wants to use a Pi to "learn linux" or "stuff"
prepare yourself to get a lesson in failure

>You can only learn linux on an epic gamer PC

I use mine as an oracle to my network.

It's a tiny cheap Linux box. It does whatever you can do with a tiny cheap Linux box.

This.
I put a mediaplayer on mine and connected it to my TV. Now it has dust on it, because I never use it.

>Jow Forums is anyone that agrees with me
Not everyone has to use low-level languages just because a meme told them to user.

Attached: 18064624.png (500x522, 123K)

> Comparing a single board computer to a micro controller
2 different ball parks. A micro-controller is a single tiny "computer", that's already packaged together. Where as a PI is single board computer built around a Cortex A series processor. These don't have ADC's by default, so additional peripherals would need to be added on.
I'm guessing the designers thought against adding something like that to them by default, as the PI's are aimed at clueless adults and children, rather than anyone with any knowledge in development.

Yeah, definitely. I have the first Model B they released and it's come in handy more times than I can count. I don't know how great the new versions are, but you can use them as a miniature desktop if you so wanted to.
Mine I'm currently using to run a TensorFlow twitter bot and a couple of other things. I got mine as a birthday present from my brother for like $35 and it was honestly the most useful gift I've ever gotten.

If you want to use it to play around with Linux and other distros, it's basically like a physical VM.
It also comes with onboard GPIO pins which you can use to make small electronics projects with arduino.

I don't know if they come with onboard wifi chips, but you should get one of those as well.

OP most people in this thread are 30 year old boomers that are stuck in the mindset that if you're not using C then you're being unproductive

If you ever have a small project that you want to work on involving some kind of server that isn't your desktop, or really just anything where you dont want to fuck your main system up, you'll be glad to have had a raspberry pi laying around.

For what it's worth, it's literally only $35, and for that $35 you get a tiny computer that you can use for just running programs that you wrote in the background or just doing a lot of other things.

If you have $35 you'd otherwise throw away on something retarded, I think you'd be really happy buying one of these. Maybe not when it arrives immediately, or after you've gotten one use out of it, but at some point you'll realize that you've gotten a lot of usage out of it and you'll be happy you made that decision.

Even if you don't, $35 isn't much for something that could be extremely useful for you in the future.

I have one with samba and openVPN and a 1TB external HDD. It's located around 300km from my apartment as an off-site backup.

this Nice for small servers, bots, electronics...etc
Also know that it sucks as a NAS (really low transfert rate, even with ethernet and an ext4 external drive)
It also kind of sucks as a video player (even with Kodi and all the hardware acceleration you want, it won't replace well a more powerful machine)

I use mine for my website. Its very useful ans cheap

>Will they help me learn linux or help me learn stuff
No.

Buy an old, shitty laptop (you may even have one laying around), it will be MUCH more useful

These suck, get an odroid or atom or something if you want to start a NAS or low power linux "desktop".

I wanted to buy one to disable Intel ME on my laptop and to use it as a torrentbox/Plex server

Put a zero in your graphics calculator and enjoy having a computer during tests?

hahaha too true. i bought one and haven't done anything with it in like a year. its sitting in a drawer somewhere.

I use mine for the following:

>VPN
>pihole
>FTP server
>web server for my shitty home made pages
>deluge
>SMB share to move torrents
>script to check my IP each morning, reconfigure my .OVPN file if needed and mail it to me

It is bloody handy. Its amazing how many roles it can perform and cost almost nothing to buy and uses fuck all power.

You should have a clear idea of what you want to do with it. If not it will just collect dust. I've used a lot of them for robotics, but now that I've moved to different projects I have three of them collecting dust sadly

This. If you need any kind of headless server but can't commit to actually spending some cash on it, a Pi will suit you. It'll be dog slow but it'll let you experiment with that kinda thing on the cheap.

What's a good storage solution (flash based) that will last around 10 years of 24/7 normal operation? no crazy file operations, just running the OS, occasional reboot once per month or something, occasional remote in via RDP

raspberry pi + raid 5 + a lot of USB drives

but i'm doing most of my read/write in /tmp so it's in RAM. i just need the thing to last longer than 5 years, hoping to stretch it to 10. is there another board out there that uses higher quality flash memory? i don't want to use SD cards or usb drives because they're usually on the lower end

Based and redpilled.
Except I use a separate pi for torrents and smb to avoid saturating the connection to DNS and DHCP servers.

Mine was absolutely a gateway device into Linux. Started off with LAMP stack and a year later I went out and got a proper server

You have to have a micro SD card to boot it

If you don't know why you are buying one, you shouldn't be buying one... Look up projects, if you want to learn an OS, get a cheap PC/Netbook.

A 64GB mSD can last 5+ years even if you write 1GB/day to it. Once it gets near it's maximum write cycles you can just use it as read only and it should work fine for another year or two. When you're ready you can swap the read-only card with a new mSD. But a better and more durable solution would just be USB. You can buy an external HDD or SSD and they should both last at least 10 years.

You don't. rPi 3B+ can boot from USB out of the box. Most other rPis can be configured to do the same.

If you need a cheap machine, get a prepaid phone from Amazon for $10-20 and flash the rom.

Attached: 1539750720151.jpg (612x408, 29K)

>If you need a cheap machine, get a prepaid phone from Amazon for $10-20 and flash the rom.
Do you know what a CPU architecture and a locked bootloader is

CPU architecture isn't an issue if your building your own programs, is it? Sorry I don't know much about this sort of stuff yet.
What I do know though is that if you're unable to build a custom room and unlock the bootloader on a $20-40 no contract phone you are also probably incapable of using Google or typing.

I bought an odroic hc2 because at least it has a use.

Can I just learn Linux through VM on my main machine without buying anything at all

Yes. Or just dual boot.

No
>Will they help me learn linux or help me learn stuff t. CS student.
Not in a practical sense, you can achieve the same effect by installing linux on your zog machine or running it through a vm
I use mine as a bookmark sometimes since it's not even heavy enough to be a paperweight.

if you know nothing about linux, but want to learn, they're a pretty good way to do it. you can fuck up everything and then just reinstall the disk image really easily.
break things, have fun, and learn something. also, get in the habit of writing down what you did so you can find it later if you need to. those composition notebooks with the spots all over them are good for that.
good luck!

i bought a rpi to run a couple personal projects on, which i presented at a couple of job interviews, which went over well.

getting one is fine, but you need to think of something to use it for before you shell out for one, or it'll just share the same fate as the ones of others here.

they are PCs. (2018)

Attached: microsoft windows PC.png (457x457, 221K)

>not obeying memes
Get off Jow Forums

Do you think you need a weak single-board computer? Or do you want one? That's what it is. Just possessing one won't help you accomplish anything, but if it sounds like something you might use, go for it.
I got an IRC client running on mine.

>Should I buy one of these?
It's a couple of pizzas, do as you wish.
>Will they help me learn linux or help me learn stuff
Not really, or at least not better than any pc/laptop you have around.
One 2 as media station, Zero W as jump box/DDNS box for my network from remote.

Fpbp. If you have to ask if you need something, you don't need it.

>should I buy something I don't know what to do with

Attached: 1536062826986.jpg (620x827, 85K)

I recommend you have a definite purpose for it (like a media server or something) before buying one or else you may get bored with it and end up shelving it away for a long, long time.

It's a computer. Run a VM if you just want to learn something. Pis are for implementing.

Implement them in your butt

I slapped DietPi on mine and use it as a backup box.

t. selfie posting brainlet

how the fuck do you think people learn to do things if they don't buy stuff they're unfamiliar with? by this logic you need to know how to play a guitar before you buy a guitar.

you need to know how a guitar is used (playing) before buying a guitar, yes. I use my pi for all my services but I traded an old laptop server out for it.

Shit analogy, retards like OP make these threads daily and then complain afterwards that it's collecting dust.

I'm surprised nobody has said it what the uses can be. For me I use it for my XMPP server, Pi-hole and file hosting server. The advantage these small computers have is the low power usage, easily replacing a big bulky computer to do the same tasks.

Although I don't have a raspberry-pi, mainly because I'm cheap, My orange-pi can still get what I need done.

Attached: picture.png (588x288, 8K)

>using c to make something that could be done in a simple script
kys faggot

Why do you always forget to mention that it's fucking unstable and basically unusable for any of those?

just use a debian vm to learn linux.
if you plan on doing research on ai and clustering multiple pi's together, go for it. otherwise, outside of a personal server of some sort, idk what else you could do with it that'd be useful.

Or you could use a VM, save money, and learn the utmost basics of using VMWare or VirtualBox which is way more useful for a CS student than flashing LEDs with a RPi

lol i got one of them $10 orange pi pcs when they got big discounted, like half the ports are DOA but honestly who needs 4 fucking USB ports on a pi anyway.

VMs aren't suitable to running for long periods of time and if you're trying to learn linux without running servers you're doing it wrong.

>defending a bloated and deformed language that only non-programmers use

My orange pi pc works nicely too, I have it setup with armbian right now but I think eventually Ill move over to something else.

If you wanna disable stuff to save power take a look at this

forum.armbian.com/topic/1878-h3consumption-to-be-included-into-future-armbian-releases/

It's a scripting language, it's meant for scripts. You wouldn't use c to parse a single json object would you?

Get a raspberry pi zero w (really cheap)
Install arch arm v6
Figure out what you want to do with it

They're actually pretty good if you want to teach yourself ARM assembly, but it's unlikely you'll ever need something that low level unless you go into computer engineering.

What

I've been running pi's since the first one and I have had multiple instances where I've gotten over a year of uptime. Pebkac, I guess

Do the last thing first
Yes, but you should mention that you don't use it much
I very much doubt you do much seeding on it for example since deluge fucking sucks with only a few torrents on ANY system

>VMs aren't suitable to running for long periods of time and if you're trying to learn linux without running servers you're doing it wrong.

What the flying fuck. I've been running tens of VMs on my servers since 2014 to this day, 24/7. I dont even...

Fucking Jow Forums

>VMs aren't suitable to running for long periods of time
They're, and most of the web nowadays runs on virtualized environments, be it ESXi, Xen, KVM or whatever
And you can perfectly run a VM for long periods of time in your PC, unless you need to reboot frequently your host or electricity prices are so incredibly high that it's impossible to leave your machine idling for some time
tbqh if you're to poor to afford leaving your PC on a RPi it's still retarded to learn GNU/Linux, just use one of the free as in free beer Google VPS, you can even learn GCE cancer then

it's not unstable at all unless you flash some of its diodes on that one rev lol, use case has nothing to do with stability.

absolutely disgusting.

ive used mine for a discord bot, torrent tracker and current a ssh server witch external access over the internet. You learn a lot of linux and networking with these things.

>Should I buy one of these?
If you're asking, no.

Hide one in your desktop case and get a KVM switch

If you get a Pi, do things you can’t normally do with a computer. PS, you can learn Linux in a virtual machine one your computer. Also here’s a little bit of info whether you should buy a Microcontroller or a pi.
> Need basic electronics control? Microcontroller
> Need basic internet usage?
Microcontroller with WiFi module / Ethernet
> need a basic touchscreen application?
Microcontroller with LCD or whatever you want
> Advanced touchscreen application?
Pi
> Need another computer but only for one task?
Pi

Really a Pi is for learning, and that’s about it. I would say use the Pi to learn about Networking. Here’s some stupid ideas.
> Install Raspbian, enable SSH, and learn how to use that
>make your Pi a shitty FTP server for fun, make it accessible from your desktop
>have your Pi automate some stupid tasks. Set up a crontab and run a script to download a new desktop background daily
> make it into a web server
This guy has the right idea

RaPi is literally just a tiny, slow computer.
>do software project on desktop/laptop
>need a tiny computer to to do the job
>buy RaPi
If you want to do a hardware project, you're looking in the wrong direction. That's what Arduinos are for.

>that it's fucking unstable and basically unusable for any of those
That's just a lie.

(OP)
No.
>Will they help me learn linux or help me learn stuff?
No
For a pi hole, which is about all they're good for.

Raspi does both. It's got gpios and it's got a real processor/memory. There's a certain niche of things that require both but nobody realistically does them. It was also designed before ESP8266s hit big and networking required a medium amount power

What? VMs are the industry standard.. OP is hurting himself if he doesn't learn how to operate and maintain VMs. Hell linux and VMs go together like butter and toast since you can create snapshots to fall back on when you inevitably break your distro.

I had a webserver on mine but that was the only thing I used mine for. It wasn't really powerful enough for things like offloading compilation of code to or whatever. Better to just have GNU/Linux on your PC and if you want to try something risky just make a VM

>Raspi is good for hardware projects
Good luck running it on a 9V battery.

use it to wardrive with a drone around a rich neighborhood, run a MIM attack and blackmail people cheating on their spouses. Pretty simple stuff.

more like a 12v down to 5v. plenty of hardware at 12v.

I've got two DHT22, one 16x2 LCD, and a cheap Chinese donut shaped humidifier connected to one of the USB ports, all part of a system monitoring and managing my terrarium.

Wondering whether there's actually enough power for all the components considering it gets a little screwy if the cables on the GPIO pins are messed with a little (screen will often be dimmer than usual).

>I very much doubt you do much seeding on it for example since deluge fucking sucks
I like it. I am limited by the 500gb external drive I have connected so I don’t ever have too many torrents going

>autism

You're very wrong. I have used the rpi for a variety of network and cyber security projects. Plop one of these suckers outside someone's house and poison their network.

i have one running octoprint and a SATA SBC running nextcloud. They're fine but if you want to learn Linux just use a VM and read a book.