Why didn't the Unix boomers modularize the programs APIs instead of the programmers...

Why didn't the Unix boomers modularize the programs APIs instead of the programmers. It's the best of both worlds because you don't have to call a shell command in a separate thread.
For example if you wanted to write a GUI frontend to `dd`, you have to call a bash command and parse the stdout output, BRAVO, unix boomers!

All they had to do is create a library like "libdd.h" so everyone can easily call the API in monolithic programs.

Attached: 1540121709602.webm (540x960, 1.78M)

>For example if you wanted to write a GUI frontend to `dd`, you have to call a bash command and parse the stdout output, BRAVO, unix boomers!
You don't at all have to call bash to execute a program. Are you fucking retarded?

You still have to invoke a separate program in a separate process

#include

FILE *fd = popen("dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=400 of=/dev/udp/SrcAddress.ai_addr/8000","w");
pclose(fd);

>Everything wrong with 3D: the webm

But that doesn't call bash at all.

>why didn't they modularize programs?
They did you stupid fuck. They evangelized it.
>if you wanted to write a GUI frontend to `dd`, you have to call a bash command and parse the stdout output, BRAVO, unix boomers!
Please go back to Windows and never return.

sauce ?

>For example if you wanted to write a GUI frontend to `dd`
That's retarded.

>>if you wanted to write a GUI frontend to `dd`, you have to call a bash command and parse the stdout output, BRAVO, unix boomers!
>Please go back to Windows and never return.
what?

Not entirely, the hyperemoting soothes my autism. Same thing anime does.

Attached: 1157d25b8d156b792f3bcdaefa9fcc4cfb5e2b9f_hq.gif (500x281, 866K)

Attached: 1517229969194.jpg (800x800, 40K)

You're a fucking faggot that's a man

even better

maybe because this train of thinking was ahead of their time

Is this a thot from musically or tik tok
asking for a friend

Attached: 820dmwwsgki11.png (1588x1600, 812K)

trips confirm

>not knowing bonbi
pleb

>All they had to do is create a library like "libdd.h" so everyone can easily call the API in monolithic programs.
the path to satory is a lonely road.

Attached: they_live.gif (400x300, 418K)

>ubboat

Attached: easter-eggs-hunt.jpg (900x1280, 315K)

Not a bad idea. You load the library, call the functions in the library and then parse the output. Genius.

>looks like a 9/10 girl
>that's a man lol
nah

Ok then, please, sauce.

They didn't anticipate GUIs and no one paid them to.

it's a teenage boi

>hey let's make an os based around composition of programs
>but let's remove all type information from io and just do ad hoc text parsing everywhere lmao
fucking unix boomers

doubt

now this is a boi

source?

Please don't disrespect Homestuck with this shit

it is, you retard, just fucking google it

/wsg/ tells me they pretended to be a boy to try to stop weirdos from harassing them

That's not going to work.

bonibonkers

is this a man

Thanks, I found it just now, but I still didn't get this particular video of him/her, the best match I got was a double side by side video with audio going "... bf gf eventually"

just lurk more
might be a hard finding source since everyone posts ricardo and deep fried shit

inherently wrong, women trying to be anime miss the whole point, waifuists are like pygmalion, they can never live up to it

Yeah, popping Ricardo ain't fine in my book.

I'm okay with it

if you want I can go on a tiktok thread on /wsg/ post whatever roxy cosplay boni I have?

Thanks. Much appreciated. At last no freaky creepy gay stuff.

>pls sauce

enjoy, last three posts are me and there are a few more in the thread if you specifically want the roxy ones

Thank you, user. I was waiting for this to go to bed.
Have a nice time wherever on the globe you are.

Someone got called a faggot a lot in high school didn't they

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 17K)

>enter Jow Forums

The problem is they conflated memory protection with multi-threading in the idea of a process. Programs should be just like functions where all the data between the caller and callee get copied, with multi-threading being something completely separate.
Also text as a universal interface is dumb.

I can't wrap my mind around the advantage here, what's wrong with not having a GUI and using another thread what problem are you solving by adding a GUI and removing threading?

The unix toolset is a masterpiece of form and functionality. You are not locked to a specific language or API. You can just insert some of your own logic to create useful tool chains and automation. Maybe you should read The Art of Unix programming to better understand.

Attached: .1479876943042.jpg (318x640, 56K)

That plan is so stupid only a woman could think of it.

Um yes, what's wrong with that? Calling an API is far more efficient and robust than calling a separate program.

Agreed

Well for example you have to parse dd's output in a string continuously which is stupid. With `libdd`, the API needs to return a struct object continuously which is more efficient and your main program knows the rate of I/O, the progress etc.

Also in case of errors, libdd API would let you know what exactly went wrong. Whereas parsing dd's output to detect what's wrong is dumb.

The funny thing is it would probably be easier to build a dd command string than to understand and use "libdd.h".
Because when programmers get the opportunity to overcomplicate things, they will, which is why so many APIs become a fucking nightmare to work with. At least with a CLI people will actually try to make it not a complete clusterfuck for common use cases.

People like you are the sort that complain about building SQL command strings and want some weird binary protocol instead because it's "more efficient". Then they create something like Powershell which has "objects" and is "elegant" but chokes on relatively small volumes of data, while the unix tools keep on truckin'

what you describe is powershell, everything returns a .net object instead of text.
It's much more powerful than bash, but harder to get into.
It's also much harder to parse in non-net languages.
Text is the lowest common denominator

>returns a .net object
Why not a C struct?
C is the lowest common denominator because every language worth using has a C FFI

C structs are easy to parse, universal and more robust than just a string, aren't they? There are tons of API that uses this strategy already, for example,

a c struct doesn't even have introspection, it's literelly a blob of bytes

Most women probably wouldn't think a boy might entice more weirdos

Well it's certainly better than plain strings. return a struct like
{
ssize_t return_code;
char** status;
double* written
double* left
double* IO_rate
};

Simple, no RTTI required, easy to parse too

Specifying the output of a program in a big C struct and having that be safe and stable across versions is a lot of work. A lot more work than dumping some printfs into your program. Keep in mind that just returning a struct isn't enough, you'll want a way to attach listeners to receive progress information, allow cancelling an operation in progress, etc.
If you want an idea as to how this would work, look at COM objects and IDL and such, it's generally pretty fucking awful to work with

As a bonus since you still want a CLI you have to write another version of your program with the printfs anyway.

Or you can just skip the first part and the OS will take care of things like interrupts (canceling you), cleaning up resources, managing the pipes, and so on. The cost of forking a process is tiny on any decent OS, and parsing text is cheap too.

except you have to look into manual every time you want to read the return value

>double* written
>double* left
>double* IO_rate
wait what the fuck
why are these doubles? are you a js programmer? oh god

To incorporate fractions. Thtat's an implementation detail, representing them in bytes is insufficient

it's not, bytes/s or even bits/s in an uint64_t is the only sensible choice

Again, implementation detail.
uint64_t has limits whereas if you dynamically decide on units it becomes easy to convey the message.

I have no idea about COM classes, I never touched windows systems in my life.
>event listeners
API should only provide a set of data and the client should parse a data to invoke events, right?
>interrupt
Well, that's a good point. At least there's no better option to forcefully kill the process. A robust API should read an shared `int`to listen for events but in most cases, client killing off the process created by the API is just enough. Remember that you have to do the same thing with the current dd too.

>uint64_t has limits
uint64_t can represent more numbers than double.

>no fractions

floats aren't continuous which means there are cases in which data transfer would change, but the reported numbers wouldn't.
In the rare case that 64 bits aren't enough there are 128 bits (unsigned __int128), which are going to be enough at least as long civilization is on earth only

No, even a teenage boy with two mothers can not be this cute and feminine.

>either not knowing who bonbi is or knowing and trapshitposting anyway
wew boi

she's a confused and socially retarded (homeschooled lol) 15 year old virgin girl (female) who spends too much time on tumblr and "identifies" as "they/them" despite continuing to wear makeup and dress as a female, and wear mostly female cosplays.

You can do this in TempleOS.

You can do this in any OS, moron.

It’s especially comfy to do it in TempleOS though.

Then each libdd.h should check where It is located and you'd need to do that for every utility that you use which would be ineficcient, just make a "gnuutils.h" header so there is a common "utility" programa that could be called directly from any C or C++ std complicant compiler

Sounds pretty based, user

Don't tell me this is also a boy. Fuck.

>modularize programmers
What the fuck does this even mean?

wouldn't that break cli usage? not everyone is a c programmer. you would need to have a small dd binary to call the dd header file. also unix was made before gui so it would break userspace.

Almost all decent language has a C FFI

Always that one mentally ill faggot lying to make his fetish seem acceptable.
It's a biological woman.