/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkCat49.jpg (3024x4032, 1.34M)

Other urls found in this thread:

psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/ThinkPad_X230_Tablet_WE.pdf
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Intel-i5-4GB-RAM-NO-HDD-No-Charger/153221453089?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-11-6-Chrome-OS-Laptop-Intel-Celeron-1-5GHz-4GB-16GB-SSD-ThinkPad-X131e/113323778492?hash=item1a629fa1bc:g:OQsAAOSwahlbzZ4C:rk:1:pf:0
youtu.be/x0g_bhMyd6c
youtu.be/_r_UEU_4EQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How does the x1 yoga's pen compare to the x230t's? It looks kind of thin but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

anyone?

is T420s any good?
I can't find vanilla T420 for decent price with 1600x900 display anywhere

where do i get an elegant bumper sticker for my thinkpad t420?

Attached: thinkpad.jpg (3072x2040, 571K)

I tried to install Arch on a X200s, and this is what my Grub looks like.
It boots up fine (inasmuch a fresh Arch install can be said to do anything), but the bootloader can't display shit.
Is there a simple fix to this? The simplest alternative I can think of is that I set Grub to boot instantly without displaying a menu and pretend it's fine.

Attached: grub.jpg (1000x462, 236K)

For edge models (E series) they have keyboards with and without backlight, but both models have the light icon on the spacebar. I know it cuz I owned one. Have no proofs, just my experience.

Also, E is shit. Bad build quality compared to their T and X lineup. But I guess people know that already.

Post your ThinkCats

Attached: IMG_20181021_102550.jpg (4032x3024, 2.8M)

I know one of you Jow Forumsentoomen are in my discrete structures class. I recognize your thinkpad. Looks like a T410 or I could be wrong. Regardless you have a shitload of stickers on and and I believe you are running ubuntu or Manjaro.

What the fuck, I am talking about an X230t.

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

How do I get cat hair out of my thinkpad?

Shave your cat.

x201s: best thinkpad?

>last model with touchpad-free option
>single piece lid, no ugly plastic strip, no lenovo badge
>tons of indicator leds
>16:10, 1440x900, led backlit
>rarepad cred
>triggers libredorks

Attached: x201s.jpg (4032x3024, 2.07M)

You are nothing but cancer you ugly chink.

delet this

Attached: unfortunate development.png (1024x719, 806K)

>Rei
>Not superior Misato
Shit like your computer.

How much does wattage matter? My old charger for my x200 ThinkPad was 90W and it recently died. I'm currently using a 50W charger, and it seems to be working just fine, but I wonder if it can damage the laptop or the batteries on the long run.

>>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
Finally gets it

They don't all have backlit keyboards, check the PSREF
psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/ThinkPad_X230_Tablet_WE.pdf

Anyone here with a T/W530? What OS did you use? Wanna know how well does it treat the optimus setup
If you didn't have the battery in it'll limit system performance. If you do, the laptop will sip energy from the battery; I use a 90w on my T530, and after using demanding programs, the battery will read 94% full (or other arbitrary number) indicating it takes what's needed from the battery. Not sure if this is good or not for the battery

If someone wants to bid on this I'm the highest right now and decided I don't need it.

>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Intel-i5-4GB-RAM-NO-HDD-No-Charger/153221453089?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649

Attached: s-l500.jpg (375x500, 26K)

Pls help

So a few nights ago my fluid jar fell over and quenched my t420. I wiped as much up as I could but the right side are all sticky. The USB ports no longer work too. I disassembled it and wiped the mobo down with wipes but ports still don't work. It smells nasty now so I think I'll resell this one too and find another one. Will the fluid cause any corrosion? I guess the worst part is it was 3 years worth of fluid.

Is this thing worth the money?
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-11-6-Chrome-OS-Laptop-Intel-Celeron-1-5GHz-4GB-16GB-SSD-ThinkPad-X131e/113323778492?hash=item1a629fa1bc:g:OQsAAOSwahlbzZ4C:rk:1:pf:0

Attached: x131e.jpg (1500x1500, 154K)

Are you the guy who took his jizzed motherboard to Louis Rossmann?

Attached: dont_blow_your_load_on_a_macbook.jpg (1280x720, 156K)

You can use a simple text console for GRUB. Try editing /etc/default/grub and running grub-mkconfig again.

>is T420s any good?
Not particularly. The screen is hot garbage (I assume it's the same as the standard T420, but I don't know). Thermals are not great, and you have to split it into atoms to redo the thermal paste. Fan is basically on all the time either way though.
Soldered CPU as well.

>bidding days before auction ends
Jfc, what the fuck are you doing?

i have a 1280x800 touchpad x201, got it for like £60, didn't even come with a trackpoint nub, most trusty computer i've ever had

Edit it to what? I uncommented the "GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console" line but that didn't seem to do anything. Set GRUB_GFXMODE=auto to something else?

forgot pic of my x201

Attached: 1535230985321.png (670x893, 735K)

i use a 750Ti with my x201 through GDP Beast, it's pretty good, i don't play vidya though but it's done wonders for thermals in graphics applications and usage of the computer in general

>fluid

Attached: sitting there was reina with the eyes of a dead fish.png (853x482, 353K)

>GRUB_GFXMODE
Try commenting it out, and make sure you regenerate GRUB configs. I've never had the need to disable the graphical console in GRUB, so I haven't done it myself.

>#GRUB_GFXMODE=auto
>grub-mkconfig
Didn't do anything, as far as I can tell. Still a weird dot pattern.
That's probably the setting, though. The comments tell me I'm supposed to give a resolution, and warns me against using unsupported settings. Guess the autodetection doesn't work. I'm gonna try some numbers.

What's the cheapest thinkpad with 4x lane thunderbolt 3 i can get?

Well, things like "640x480", "800x600", "1024x768" or "1440x900" didn't help much. I'm pretty sure it's printing different dot patterns with different settings, though, and I noticed it briefly flashes the "WELCOME TO GRUB!" message before garbling up, so I guess that's progress.

What's a reasonable price for the T440s with 1080p IPS in Europe? They seem to be pretty rare where I live, and the few I've found sell for around €400 on average. That seems a little steep.

Why not buy the cheapest one you can find and get the IPS panel seperately? They're not hard to replace.

>Is this thing worth money?
>Celeron
No.

Maybe. I can get a refurb one with a 2 year warranty, i7, 12GB RAM, 240GB SSD for that in my country.

Even the cheapest ones with TN panels tend to go for around €300 here. Add the cost of the panel and the wait for the shipping, and that doesn't seem worth it.

Hmm. I found one with those same specs for that price, except with 1 year warranty. Maybe I should consider it.

My T450s Thinkpoint feels worse than the one in my T420.

A maxed-out T420 or a maxed-out W520? In what applications can the difference in performance really be noticeable enough to justify a purchase of a W520? Is programming and web dev such an application?

The bottlenecks for programming and web dev are CPU and RAM. Web dev is generally not multi-threaded, so single core performance is more important than the amount of cores/threads. GPU is mostly irrelevant. That leaves the size of the screen as a tie breaker.

Both have the same socket, so you can theoretically upgrade them to W530 processors if you use a modded bios or coreboot. W520 has 4 RAM slots, though, so it can take up to 32 gigs of RAM.
Unless you're doing something VERY intensive with web dev (and you want to get over with it as fast as possible) you should be fine even with a dual core.

All right, thanks. I plan to buy a docking station at some point in the future btw.

>my fluid jar
>3 years worth of fluid
nigger

Attached: CARL.png (156x200, 6K)

I have a 1,100 usd budget
Any recommendations?

I was thinking to buy a ThinkPad E485, i need something for my Work. I need it only for E-Mails PDF and stuff butt I stay every 2 weeks in a Hotel so Youtube or Netflix would be nice.
I simply need something stable for my work. My Boss still have a old, half burned Hugo Boss suit somewhere.

Whats that tiny device in the top right?

30 Raspberry Pis. Build a botnet.

is the build quality of the X230 better than the X240/X250?

Attached: DSC_0227.jpg (1600x1067, 297K)

Go to ebay and get it from another country then. Keyboards aren't hard to replace either is the printing is a deal breaker for you. You can easily get them for €200 or less.

If you're not gaming, you can easily get away with an xx20/xx30 machine for those workloads.

>xx20/xx30
what does these mean?

newfag

best thinkbad for medium gaming / office shit ? i prefer something with the old keyboard & relatively cheap, thanks

>T420/T430

why are T420 so overpriced wtf

Getting the urge to pimp the shit out of one of these. Should I grab a 500 series for that 32gb ram or a 400 series for the slightly smaller form factor and less wasted space? Is there really much different between them otherwise? Fucking Lenovo site has half the wrong specs for all the shit you find on ebay/craigslist unfortunately.

The thinkpad naming convention has been Series-Size-Major Revision-Minor Revision since 2008. So a T420 is a T-series, with a 14'' screen, second major revision. x is a replacement character which means "any". So basically, look at any computer from the second or third revision (2011/12) and find one that suits what you want out of a computer. X-series is small and light. T-series is compact and powerful. W-series is mobile workstation.

They're not, usually. Shop around better. Look to buy from another country if yours is shit.

Japanese keyboard just arrived, waiting on some replacement screws for the chassis.

Attached: weebpad.jpg (6000x4000, 2.13M)

sorry if this is a blatantly stupid questions but why a nip keyboard?

Extra keys for if I ever decide to put up with Emacs.

Not really

Attached: 8770w-angle.jpg (1620x1080, 494K)

Thanks, but iam still a littel bit scared about the low specs of t420 etc. For a t440s i can buy a new E485 (studentdiscount). I personaly dont gife a fuck about hurr durr 5 ghz i just want netflix and emails.

Raspberry Pi in a 3D printed case, used to be a Kodi server but i've since got a new case and use it with RetroPie now

What's with the beep when pressing certain combinations of three keys?
Don't shoot me for windows, I need to play my lewd games.

Oh, just an option in the bios. Looks like a rollover thing, but I didn't have any issues with keys not registering.
Oh well, disabled now.

Processors haven't gotten much faster since that time. If you're that worried about specs, get a xx30 and swap in the better old keyboard from the xx20 and before. You will absolutely notice no difference for the tasks you're doing between a xx30 and anything until the new xx80 line. Hell, if you throw in a 9-cell battery, you can even get a solid 6~10 hours of real use out of them. I'd advise against the E-series if you can get a T-series, since those have substantially better build quality. But hey, it's your money. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I notice most people recommend T series, am I missing something? Because I love my x220's form factor and cant imagine being happier with a slightly more powerful, but more bulky, machine.

yeah sort of

>8770w
muh dick

Did someone say cats on ThinkPads.

Attached: IMG_20181010_192839.jpg (1755x2323, 640K)

youtu.be/x0g_bhMyd6c

What about humans on thinkpads?

The main thing is that the T420/T430 can have their CPU upgraded to quad-core and can come with a dGPU. Depending on the workload, that can make a pretty big difference. Still very happy with my X230, since I don't need more than what it gives me.

Reddit meme

post background?

Fake and gay.
Is it?

Attached: IMG_20181016_131845.jpg (4096x2250, 2M)

cock and sperm dust

That's keif. Smoke it for the high of a lifetime.

I see tons of people at my university with Thinkpads. Before I went on Jow Forums, I thought it was a poverty trademark. Now I know it is the sign of someone

A S C E N D E D

Attached: 84574-cops-cant-read.jpg (500x500, 56K)

/tpg/ i need help!
i have an x220, recently i've been having an issue with the trackpoint buttons
My right click button is too "sensitive", i can just touch it with my finger and it'll register a right click, if i click on the right half of the middle click button, it also registers a right click, what's even more strange, this behavior stops if i remove the keycap, but it looks perfectly normal.
What's going on?

This happened to one of my keys, I have no idea why I ended up just straight up replacing the keyboard, sorry

ascension beyond everything but IBM thinkpads is the true hallmark of a 4 digit IQ

fug, guess i'll do that

still wouldn't trust anything newer than a x220

Dropped coke in my X230, and now the bottom keyboard row randomly registers right click presses when typing.

Gonna buy a T460s this weekend tho.

X230 is basically an X220 with better CPU and GPU, why the fuck wouldn't you trust it?

Thinking of buying a W530, should I get a W520 instead?

youtu.be/_r_UEU_4EQA

wtf is that video

Attached: hahaha.gif (203x211, 53K)

Looked for most recent W530 uploads :P

i can't believe i passed up a x201s for 30 bucks. still kicking myself for that.

Attached: IMG_0970.jpg (4032x3024, 1.5M)

Did I make a mistake getting a non/g/ approved Thinkpad in the T450s?

I bought a T450s new when they came out. It's not as good as an older Thinkpad, but it's still a damn good notebook. The only real downside for me is the fucking keyboard.

My T530 is doing this thing where I got the power button, the keyboard lights fkash, the fans starts, but then it goes to only the power button led. Lights off, fan off, dvd tray will open if I press the button, no display. It doesn't even get to the lenovo splash screen. Any ideas what it could be doing?

Attached: 9678d2d195a0032c3e539a0ec221d4b6efc7128a5275c9b358ce872085960d14.jpg (1269x952, 136K)

try hooking up an external monitor and boot it up. if it works then it might be the backlight fuse on the motherboard. you can test it by removing your screen from the panel, still connected to the motherboard and light it up with flashlight, if you see an image then it's the backlight fuse.