Linux kernel

So linux 4.19 is released. This one is going to be a Long Term Release lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/22/184

Summary: This release adds: the CAKE network queue management to fight bufferbloat, it is designed to fight intended to squeeze the most bandwidth and latency out of even the slowest ISP links and routers; support for guaranteeing minimum I/O latency targets for cgroups; experimental support for the future Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax-drafts); memory usage for overlayfs users has been improved; a experimental EROFS file system optimized for read-only use; a new asynchronous I/O polling interface; support for avoiding unintentional writes to an attacker-controlled FIFO or regular files in world writable sticky directories; support for a Intel feature that locks part of the CPU cache for an application; and many new drivers and other improvements.

kernelnewbies.org/Linux_4.19

What do you think about it

Attached: 1493746845261.png (799x599, 743K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-wwwYIqfQik&feature=youtu.be
heise.de/ct/artikel/Linux-4-19-Schoener-starten-und-bereit-fuer-das-WLAN-von-Morgen-4144037.html?seite=6
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils_Torvalds
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cake sounds useful

Attached: cigar.jpg (657x527, 36K)

and delicious

Another day another kernel.

CAKE is a code word for CoC spyware

>Greg KH Releases Big Linux 4.19 Kernel, Codenamed "People's Front"
>People's Front
yikes

that TRAITOR

Ty for the cake, fat tranny kernel!
I'll be updating to that once Ubuntu mate has one

>still using a monolithic kernel in 2018

Attached: Redox_running_Orbital.png (1920x1080, 1.12M)

“Greg he also wrote about the commitment to welcome the new people and help them learn things. That’s why this release is also codenamed People’s Front”

I give up. Why does OpenBSD have to be so fucking unusable? Maybe Haiku..

>using MIT license instead of based GPL

Attached: image.jpg (500x411, 101K)

>4.20 isn't an LTS
Fucking Linus.

It's a monty python reference, you dolt.

can redox actually do anything yet?

>using a cuck kernel

>Greg he also wrote about the commitment to welcome the new people and help them learn things.
well do you want all the knowledge to die out when the current 50 year old devs kick the bucket?

Attached: 42631de69c68eb2e334bd558fd740a0b1d62ad240759f734f872c19a41224a39.png (800x800, 555K)

It's funny how you people get upset about it being called "People's front" (despite the fact that Linus himself is a turbocommunist and his parents are literal members of the Finish communist party), but you were totally fine with "hurr durr imma sheep"

i7 @ 3.40 but also just 1g of ram

why?

How does it feel to use a PS/2 mouse in current year?

Your fudding too hard.

Virtual machine probably, the hardware support of meme OS is crap.

VM it seams...

It can make you look cool on anonymous internet forums

Right now it's not really usable. It's developing in the right direction though. Progress has slowed a little as the lead developer has a daughter now.
But it has a lot of potential, very promising project. Keep an eye out.
Also you can play doom on it
youtube.com/watch?v=-wwwYIqfQik&feature=youtu.be

that's all i really need, thanks. does it have tiling WMs?

>RKP
>communist
NIgga what

everything left of the right-leaning centrist bernie is
>GOMMUNISM :D:D
to americans

>He has to run in a VM

Attached: image_9_.jpg (500x636, 89K)

I think I'll just make a new Linux router around this kernel to try CAKE on the default gateway of my network. Sounds interesting enough.

Your mom is monolithic

don't post fake NEETs

Well, you can browse Jow Forums with it.

Attached: Screenshot_20180303_001630.png (1280x720, 676K)

>dat pic
that's cruel
funny, but cruel

This release contains NSA speck algorithm, skip it.

If you read this, you were warned.

monty python is so cool and funny

Point to where in the code this is true, or at least the commit it was added.
Is it used by default?

Attached: chiya question.png (1280x720, 765K)

IT'S A LIE!

>Linus is almost 50 years old
>Still looks like he's in his 30s
How does he do it? How does he manage to look so young and suave af?

heise.de/ct/artikel/Linux-4-19-Schoener-starten-und-bereit-fuer-das-WLAN-von-Morgen-4144037.html?seite=6

>Support für diesen von der NSA entwickelten Verschlüsselungsalgorithmus hatten Google-Entwickler zu Linux 4.17 beigesteuert; bei 4.18 rüsteten sie dann noch Speck-Support in Fscrypt nach, weil sie Speck bei Android nutzen wollten. Noch vor Fertigstellung von 4.18 gaben die Entwickler aber überraschend bekannt, dass Google diese Pläne verworfen hat.

>Support for NSA speck was added by Google NPCs to Linux 4.17, however they coincidentally later said they don't plan on using it.

It's in Fscrypt, where else would it be? Linux already announced 4.18 is the last release to come with speck (as nobody wants it, not even Alphabet), so basipally 4.17 and 4.18 users were rekt coincidentally, just like the users of LuLu on Mac OS X/macOS were.

I'm confused, you said to skip 4.19, but also here you're saying that users of 4.17 and 4.18 are screwed.
Is 4.17 and above fucked or is it just 4.19?
Why would Linus accept this if it has an obvious flaw?
Does it have a flaw, or do you just hate it because it's NSA and possible hasn't been extensively tested?

Attached: 1523782993344.jpg (927x1200, 453K)

I confused myself there for a moment as well, I thought we're at 4.18, pardon me. It's appearantly 4.17 - 4.19.

>just hate it because it's NSA
I assume you're US american? It's not "just the NSA".
Nowadays it's "just the NSA", tomorrow it's "just the NSA and the cops" and everybody has to live in fear about bantz and opinions because of examples like this:
Who knows where they got the information from? Most likely because the cops, NSA, CIA, FBI, KGB, BND, GHCQ etc. cooperate and share databases and softwares and people like us, without the money for expensive lawyers, get fucked over.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Attached: 100 percent tiresome.jpg (872x731, 199K)

$ cat /usr/src/linux/.config|grep -i speck
# CONFIG_CRYPTO_SPECK is not set

wow it is fucking nothing

Attached: 1538935127012.png (734x658, 682K)

>I underestimate my enemies: the post

Attached: 1532678729287.jpg (200x232, 15K)

>make a new Linux router around this kernel
??

if only because I also run selinux

Sounds like a german saying "the linux"

>Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
This statement is based off a seriously skewed college experiment. so, debatable. lurk more

stanford prison experiment?

5 seconds on google tell me that's fucking wrong, but believe what you want.

Go back to bed, you're free.

Bar ?

>US american

can it run touhou

Is it as good as Windows yet?

Attached: oAemb5Ll.jpg (640x427, 20K)

>THIS IS THE TIME ON SPROCKETS WHEN WE DANCE.

Yeah I'm sure it's not a nod to the commies who own Linux now

hardy har-har

USB doesn't work if temperatures are too low

>lead developer has a daughter now
is there literally anything that womyn havent ruined?

Attached: 1532410034132.png (828x676, 27K)

>no results on Jewglel to confirm this
Sure

>kike (((positive))) liberty shit
>based
Pick one and only one.

>LE EPYC MONTY PYTHON MAYMAY
XDDDD

>be brainlet
>blame the joke

Attached: brainlet.jpg (211x239, 5K)

>brainlet
>for not liking a old as fuck tv show
Okey.

No, you're dumb because you didn't even understand what it was referring to in the first place.

>age of content has something to do with likeability

Attached: 1474972443196.jpg (213x362, 10K)

How does it feel to waste a high speed data bus on a pointing device?

As in setting up a new computer with an operating system based on the Linux kernel which utilizes the CAKE network queue manager. The computer would as the default gateway of my network where it's function would be fire walling and routing.

Better?

Why did that poor duck get BTFO?

>I'll just update my router's kernel and use CAKE
Better.

>seams

Attached: 1275116701110.jpg (480x357, 91K)

>an experimental EROFS file system
Sounds lewd.

>"People's front"
Gay
The previous ones were better.

Attached: 1534037385701.png (1908x3631, 687K)

Attached: zoomer eating tide.gif (652x562, 626K)

It also added tproxy and OS fingerprinting support to nftables.
>cat | grep
Stop.

Try harder, you fucking jews.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils_Torvalds

>Torvalds was a member of the Communist Party of Finland from 1969 to 1982. He studied economics in Moscow and was the editor of the taistoist magazine Arbetartidningen Enhet.

>Hurrr durrr i'm a sheep

Attached: VbZrqR8.gif (500x281, 424K)

With this I can finally block my son's attempts of running Windows in my house which is against the rules
My OS fingerprinting rule detects any device running Windows The home WiFi uses 802.11X with individual user accounts, so I can easily block Windows devices. Ethernet switches are all managed, which allows me to block individual physical ports

This

Friendly reminder that Linux developers are literal boomers, of course they find Monty Python hilarious.

>OS fingerprinting
how is this even a thing like nigga just stick to the standards and not get fingerprinted

>how is this even a thing like nigga just stick to the standards and not get fingerprinted
Standards never enforce every single detail, which leads to slight differences

Why would you need fingerprinting? You only need to know if OS complies to standards or not, did I get this wrong?

>Why would you need fingerprinting?
To ban my Wintoddler son from using my router

>Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, joked during a LinuxCon keynote in 18 September 2013 that the NSA, creators of SELinux, wanted a backdoor in the kernel.[14] However, later, Linus' father revealed that the NSA had actually asked for the installation of backdoors in Linux.[15]

Oh no how terrible, how can we trust someone like that?

>how can we trust a communist
We can't, period. They will stop at nothing, including lies and dishonesty, to force their revolution on us.

>muh stupid as fuck tv show ;_;
Oh, we find another german idealist here.

>things I don't like is stupid, stop liking them
Dude, majority of Linux developers are middle-aged white men, let them they enjoy a british TV show from the seventies if they want.

Stop pushing your degenerate SJW agenda.

>lead developer has a daughter now
This project is going to get killed if it ever takes off.

>>cat | grep
>Stop.
try to stop me c:
tons of stuff is piped into grep (e.g dmesg)
so it is more consistent to pipe everything and less of a mental burden

Attached: g3otbpx.png (634x642, 237K)

not to mention I sometimes cat a file before grepping it and having to go back and edit the command is more effort than appending |grep

>What do you think about it
I think it has some network-related bugs since nothing network-related was changed the two days prior to the final being released and late rc8 crashed. I haven't actually tried the 4.19 final but since nothing's changed it's likely going to produce the same result as the entire 4.19 series has had since about rc1: lockups on high network usage.

4.18.16 will probably be a much better choice for quite some time.

Attached: 4.19.0-rc8-SunnySNSD-00119-g270b77a0f30e-IMG_20181021_165618-scaled.jpg (3200x2115, 2.05M)

As I told you in the thread yesterday (or was it saturday), it's most likely driver related (hence the dead lock stack trace) and not due to the network stack.

(You)

Attached: me.jpg (958x598, 33K)

Excuses won't make it right, user.

it is not like I am catting gigabytes of files
any performance gain is lost in the time spent having to edit earlier parts of my commands
or in mentally getting aware of whether I am dealing with the contents of a file or the output of a process

do what works for you user

>excuses excuses excuses
It's still incorrect, user.

perhaps, and I'll know soon enough. I have two quad port Intel NIC coming today or tomorrow. If it's related to the Realtek r8169 driver then 4.19 should work.

but it's also possible it could have something to do with
- apart from the upstream NIC everything is on a bridge for the LAN
- a bond to a switch is part of that bridge
so it's a slightly more complex setup than most

there's some pretty big changes in the r8169 code between 4.18 and 4.19 so it's possible that's it. not sure what other driver would be in play and cause that panic

>youtube celebrity
>still find the time to update his kernel
Does this guy even sleep?