1Gbps fiber

>1Gbps fiber
>Enters downstairs, computer upstairs

I get like 150Mbps on the desktop, even phone gets more (pic related): any suggestions that aren't "run 20 meters of ethernet"?

Been looking at Powerline and Google WiFi but maybe there's something better.

Attached: Screenshot_20181022-230840_Speedtest.jpg (1440x2960, 304K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mocalliance.org/about/faqs.htm
newegg.com/products/2RC-00J9-00002?cm_re=moca-_-2RC-00J9-00002-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Run ethernet faggot

If you have coaxial wiring (for cable TV), you can use bonded MoCA 2.0 to achieve 750-900mbps, top speed depends on the quality of the coaxial runs and if you have a ton of splitters or not.

run 20 meters of fiber

Attached: original prankster.jpg (1024x1372, 197K)

>thinking anything is better than ethernet
just do it faggot

>being 12

This, assuming your house already has coax in the walls, it's by far the easiest way to get a fast internet connection around the house.

Powerline sucks ass if it's sharing the wiring with other high powered appliances (washer/dryer, microwave, freezer, etc)

how can you use coax for ethernet, doesn't coax only have two separate copper wires inside?

I think there can be a compromise between getting 10% of the speed and having an ugly cable running all through my house. I'll run it if I have to.

Hm, maybe. Actually maybe I can run ethernet on the outside.

How so?

Right, think I'll give it a miss. I'll look into coax.

>I got lucky enough to live in an area with fiber
>I wanna run it over shitty WiFi
>don't I've me reasonable options

this, fucktard op

Not sure about the particulars of the tech, but i've been using MoCA for over a decade.

Started at 50/50mbps, then 150/150mbps, and now 1gbps.

At 1gbps speeds I see 800-850mbps in practice using Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters.

MoCA 1.1 can do 100mbps

MoCA 2.0 can hit 300-500mbps

Bonded MoCA 2.0 can hit 700-900mbps.

I live in Japan so it's readily available.

I'm just looking for alternatives to long cable, not exactly dismissing anything else.

It has a single wire and shielding around the insulation. Haven't you ever been outside?

guys i need help. how can i extend my wifi over ~100 meters?

i know i should post it on /diy/ but. that board is slow. i'm in a store right now i need answers ASAP. i'm currently looking at pic related. it claims it can beam wifi signal over 1km away. do i need two of these or a phone will be able to communicate with these over 50 meters away.

Attached: 308a4126327941248703ecaa30fe2714.jpg (1000x866, 107K)

Run ethernet like a fucking man.

>gigabit
>form over function
I hope your house burns down while you tard it up.

yeah, but ethernet has 4 wire pairs, 8 wires total, how can it be used over coaxial?

and? can you explain how the single wire carries ethernet signals instead of posting strange reddit-like posts that make no sense? if I hadn't ever been outside like you ask wouldn't that make me more knowledgeable about cables, which are found inside and not outside?

If you don't want to drill holes you can get flat Ethernet cables.

Attached: 41Gj3DhDiCL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 13K)

pic related, here is a speedtest over Bonded MoCA 2.0 with gigabit WAN.

Attached: 2018-10-22 10_23_50.png (783x296, 43K)

don't troll him man, we were all new once

>yeah, but ethernet has 4 wire pairs, 8 wires total, how can it be used over coaxial?
Like I said, I don't know the particulars of the tech, who gives a fuck?
It works. That's what matters.

well, i give a fuck since i am interested in the way technology around me works, but still thanks for letting me know it's a thing, i'll find more details elsewhere

Wire is wire. Pick a compatible standard and shove electrons through it. What's to get?

I mean, coaxial is used to deliver 1gbps DOCSIS internet too. It obviously can handle the speeds.

come on now man, now that's just embarrassing, please tell me you are at least underaged

mocalliance.org/about/faqs.htm

so I suppose it uses some kind of serial connection and translates it to/from ethernet on the ends? interesting

If it's coaxial fiber you got jewed. also check that your cable is compatible and your network card is fiber compatible

Yes, which is why you have to have adapters at each endpoint.

The cool thing is it creates a MoCA network, so you don't have to have matching pairs of adapters, a single adapter at your router will give internet across your entire coax network, so any other number of adapters can be connected to provide a wired connection.

Also, if you have a Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter at your router, you can use MoCA 1.1 or unbonded MoCA 2.0 at the far ends, and the speed will run at the lowest end speed of the connection

So you could have

Router
Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter
House coax
Unbonded MoCA 2.0 adapter (300-500mbps) > PS4/Xbox
Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter > 1gbps switch > desktop computer > wireless access point > etc

Probably best choice if I go for ethernet. I can drill I guess, house going to be torn down in few years probably anyway.

This looks pretty good. I'll definitely look into it. I don't know if I can get it easily here... There's a port upstairs at least. Wish the one downstairs wasn't across the room from fiber entry though...

It's normal fiber provided by NTT East Japan, comes into house as glass AFAICT.

>The cool thing is it creates a proprietary software network
yeah, that sure is a cool thing...

Attached: 1523755214471.jpg (580x346, 38K)

I mean, considering a ton of TV set top boxes in the US, including some older TiVO models can use MoCA, it IS convenient since you don't have to match your adapters to your devices.

>the US is the entire world
always enjoy talking to an amerifat

Well considering the member companies, no fucking shit.

Attached: 2018-10-22 10_41_30.png (770x1228, 141K)

>over 1km away
Isn't that 10x your required amount

Any radio is unreliable. If you want a reliable source of signal, you'll do exactly that, move to ethernet.

newegg.com/products/2RC-00J9-00002?cm_re=moca-_-2RC-00J9-00002-_-Product

i guess i need to spell it out for you, what is convenient for americans is not automatically convenient for europe and the rest of the world

No shit, but it's not a detriment to the rest of the world easier, you're acting like it having that functionality is somehow a negative point to those who don't use it. When it isn't a negative point at all, it just doesn't matter as much for you.

That isn't a fucking bad thing.

>reddit spacing
opinion discarded

Enjoy your wifi

what? i'm not OP, i'm enjoying my fiber over ethernet

I care more about throughout than latency/jitter. Reliability is not a huge concern.

>When it isn't a negative point at all, it just doesn't matter as much for you.
Tell that to salesmen.

I'm sure it's SOOO much better than my fiber over coax.

just run ethernet cables you gargantuan faggot

but i'm confused. how is the phone able to connect? isnt phone internal wifi have weak range?

and i'm sure it's "SOOO" much better for your children to try to go to school and get shot

coax a shit

>for your children
wew lad, I hope you don't actually reproduce.

Children are for insecure faggots who aren't satisfied with their own life and need to live vicariously though others.

I prefer having an abundance of free time and money.

better than wireless.

>i can't get a gf: the post

I'm not using wireless

Just run the damn cable. How lazy can you get? It's going to be by far the cheapest, fastest and most reliable option. Do the work of running the cable once and you can use it forever.

I didn't say you were, you said coax is shit, i'm simply saying it's better than wifi.

and? would you eat rotten roadkill because it's better than eating literal poop?

Lol what?

I can get 80%+ of the performance of ethernet over coax.

It's like comparing dry aged steak to JUST plain old normal USDA Prime or something. The dry aged steak is probably better, but the USDA Prime steak is still fucking great too.

Oh alright,btw isn't me just some faggot baiting

I don't care about the cost, I don't want it to be an eyesore. There's also pets at home so if the bunny or rat or degu or the cat get at it, I'll have to redo it.

Yeah I don't get it either. From what I've read it's a bridge, so you're supposed to get another and connect it like 10km away and then connect it to a router. All sites just copy each other for this things description

have you even checked for existing conducts in the wall yet?

>conducts
Conduits?

Use mesh WiFi. Check out linushilltips video on mesh wifi

existing codes of conduct such as the linux kernel SJW one

mesh wifi is shit unless they have a wired backhaul (ie, ethernet runs)

ah yes
like taking off the cap on the phone plug and check for a plastic pipe or similar
Cat5e cable is pretty small and enough for 1gb

I'm running my modem and router in master/slave config kikes can't stop me

Why are people like you so dumb?

Wifi uses our entire atmosphere as a single spectrum. Phone signals, wifi 2.4 and 5ghz bands, radio waves, solar flares, microwaves ( microwaves famously interfere with 2.4 due to how water molecules vibrate best with 2.3ghz intermittent alignment) ALL output some kind of signal noise that will limit the usable spectrum. Together with concrete walls and water holding objects I think its even a miracle we can get reasonable signal to our phones.

Copper cable or Fiberglass has a piece of the entire spectrum of our atmosphere condenced in a single cable. Cable is only limited by the signals that can be isolated on it. Not only that, you can easely run multiple pieces of that spectrum next to each other if you provide isolation and more copper or fiberoptic threads.

but no, DIPSHITS like you want everything on that tiny sliver of bandwith, your wifi radio, your 6 speakers, your bluetooth headphones, your 6 phones, tablets, other crap even your STATIONARY computer. I will call this now because somewhere in the cancerfuture someone will die because your 500watt 2.4/5ghz combined wifi router will play up and interfere with phone signals and a really important 911 call will get interrupted all because you wanted to stream 4k netflix and your router barely serviced you due to a concrete wall and a dence fucking human being on the spectrum that you are. I hope you bring flowers for the people that you have killed.

The senate is so going to make even stricter legislation and either create communist wifi spectrums that everone is forced to share or you're not allowed to use it if you dont pay very capitalistic dollars for an oversaturated atmosphere.

The tplink outlet data ones work fantastically I have 4 in my building an easy 1gbps. Get the ones with 2ports

Other notes, fuck those internet over power adapters. absolute niggers thought of that. Why lay expensive cables when I can purchase something even more expensive? even power over ethernet made more sense than that horsecrap.

and a single cat5e cable already has more bandwith than every high end 5ghz router.

>and? can you explain how the single wire carries ethernet signals
The exact same way that wireless does it. Wireless litterally travels in the same kind of cable. Essentially, it's a radio wave in a wire. You can have virtually unlimited frequencies of waves going through a wire like you can though the air. Your limits are power, cost, the ability to modulate, and tell frequencies apart from each other.

>coax a shit
Something tells me you don't know what coax is.

I'm jumping in here because it seems like you guys are completely misunderstanding each other.

Ethernet = protocol (sort of) for physical cables

Coax = single cable that can run various protocols, including variable speeds of ethernet.
RJ45 = multiple twisted pair that can run ethernet
Fiber = single or multiple that can also supply ethernet.

all equipment that can understand ethernet can receive ethernet.
not all equipment can fit/decode Coax signals obviously.

Based
My garage is a separate building power was run over but nothing else. Since the previous owners who built it didn't use conduit for the power, I'd have to dig another trench just for a cat5e wire. No thanks. Internet over power adapter just werks.

Good man!

Attached: 1511744166891.jpg (350x266, 89K)

It's the installation cost you fucking dorm dweller. Not everyone is happy with a cable stretched across the living room

>RJ45 = multiple twisted pair that can run ethernet
RJ45 is a connector, mate. It's not specific to Ethernet.

>My garage is a separate building power was run over but nothing else
That is the first good use of those power adapters I have ever heard.

I still hate them.

I didn't misunderstand at all. Read my post. I explained to user how data is sent across coax because he asked for an explanation.
This is me >Coax = single cable that can run various protocols, including variable speeds of ethernet.
>Fiber = single or multiple that can also supply ethernet.
Litterally doesn't explain shit
>RJ45 = multiple twisted pair that can run ethernet
Anons won't get impedance so don't bother elaborating
>RJ45 is a connector, mate. It's not specific to Ethernet
This

>It's the installation cost
paying someone to run wire through likely cardboard walls
i guess you are the shut-in without skills

Get two nice AC capable dual band wifi routers. Put one on your modem downstairs in normal access point mode. Put the other one upstairs and hook your desktop to a LAN port. Log into the router and put it in bridge mode (connected to the downstairs access point).

The bandwidth, consistency and reliability of a bridged connection like this is absolutely stellar compared to shitty wifi cards. It really is the best thing other than just running some CAT 5e.

>paying someone

Attached: duckplungerpic.jpg (1024x866, 61K)

how am i supposed to feel with my 6 Mb/s internet connection?

Yes, RJ45 is the connector, cat 5e would be a cable. I said it wrong. My Intention was to show the differences between cable/connector and Ethernet capabilities. The connector is more universal than the cable.

user seemed to think ethernet was about the implementation of the physical layer rather than a abstraction from the medium. I thought your comment didnt reflect that enough.

There's enough information in this thread. I'm not gonna add anything more.

>wifi
enjoy you're radioation poisoning

>be me
>Internet and servers downstairs in basement
>Bedroom upstairs
>Wifi is slow
>Have 3 story house
>Just staple cat5e cable up side of house
>Years later ultraviolet light destroys cable
>Do it again
>It just werks

get a shielded cable and paint it with some paint that defends it from the UV man.

RJ45 is a telco standard for 8P8C plugs
RJ45 specifically refers to Telecommunication stuff and you wont see it somewhere else

House got painted so the paint did the trick.

>I think there can be a compromise between getting 10% of the speed and having an ugly cable running all through my house. I'll run it if I have to.

Hire an electrician to install an ethernet in the walls with outlets.

>you wont see it somewhere else
You see it everywhere m8, PLC's and routers use it as a 8P4C serial interface.

>It's the installation cost you fucking dorm dweller.
A gigabit ethernet over power setup costs 50 dollar, roughly. only best case scenario is actually delivering 1gbit with way higher latencies AND still the need for two small cables.

with 50 dollars I can buy a cable maker (20$), connectors (3$), and 30 meters of cable.

Only people so poor they dont even own a second computer or device will be cheaper in the long run.

that's exactly my point
RJ45 and The Physical plug we all know is not synonymous